Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,421 members, 7,888,297 topics. Date: Saturday, 13 July 2024 at 01:18 AM

Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles (5554 Views)

This Is How The Next Super Eagles Team Should Be / Obaseki Blasts Nigeria Television Authority / Unpatriotic Nigerian Television Authority (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 8:49pm On Jun 14, 2008
Dear Honourable Senators & Representatives,

Dear Sir,

I wish to register my displeasure on the way the Nigerian Television Authority displays its unpatriotic nature by not televising matches involving the Super Eagles live.

Sir, can you imagine that while the NTA busies itself showcasing both live and old matches involving foreign clubs and National teams, Nigerians are denied the opportunity of seeing our own National team, Is this inferiority complex or just their way of showing our national team is not important to us?

During the last match between Nigeria and South Africa, Nigerians in the USA had to resort to watching the match live on the internet through www.livefooty.doctor-serv.com/ however, we were not so lucky for the second match with Sierra Leon. We were even made to know that Nigerians who saw the match at home saw it through private TV stations and a South African cable station, Supersports 3. This is really absurd for a match being played inside Nigeria not to be shown by a Nigerian station but a South African one!

It is disheartening and frustrating that while we take day off from work just to see our darling team play, NTA often spoil the fun. There is no match involving the USA national team that is not shown here. And you all will agree with me that the USA is in no way near Nigeria when it comes to soccer.

In order to know if NTA would show the match involving Equatorial Guinea, I got the NTA number from a website, http://www.lyngsat-address.com/ln/NTA.html and it has the information thus;

Street Address Television House, Area 11, Garki
PMB 13
City Abuja
Country Nigeria
Telephone +234 (0)9 234 5907 / 5915
Telefax +234 (0)9 234 5914
Email webmaster@ntanetwork.cominfo@nbc-ng.org
Home Page http://www.ntanetwork.com
Satellites Intelsat 905  Intelsat 907 
© LSC, last updated 2008-06-09

Sirs/Madams, I called the telephone numbers as you can see from my call log below

Date Time To Duration (hh:mm:ss)
Nigerian Time
Jun 13, 2008 09:09 PM 23492345915 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 09:04 PM 23492345915 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:58 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:55 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:54 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:51 PM 23492345907 00:02:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:43 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:40 PM 23492345907 00:01:00
Jun 13, 2008 08:37 PM 23492345907 00:01:00

However, whenever the phone is answered, and I ask if that is NTA? The caller starts to laugh and I hear the voice of a little baby crying at the background. This has lead me to wonder if it’s really NTA’s number or another 419 stuff. You all can see I called the number nine times!

During the regime of Gen. Ibrahim Babangida, Super Eagles matches are frequently shown, it made us believe in Nigeria for that was the only thing that relieves the tension we went through everyday in the country. When we think of the anomalies that go on everyday in the country after a soccer match, we tend to forget our problems.

The NTA should know that showing Nigerian matches more helps to make people believe in the country and also, it helps to project Nigeria to the outside world. I remember a day I was speaking with a Mexican, he asked me where I can from, I said Nigeria and he said …haaa Nigeria soccer good good good,  I can never forget because on that particular day, I felt so proud because apart from Nigeria 419, Nigeria 419 we hear everyday, we still hear …haaa Nigeria soccer good good good. And even though the guy’s English was not so good, the message was clear!

Right now, I am watching Netherlands vs. France (Euro 2008) on ESPN (an American station). To my surprise, NTA is showing the match. I cannot remember a time an European TV station showed the African Cup of Nations neither was there an American station that did same. But here we are, NTA is showing a foreign competition while ours is neglected. Even the last 8-nation invitational tourney that was held in Malaysia last month was not shown, not even the highlights!

I am really sad because NTA is helping to dampen the spirit of Nigerians here. Most of us subscribed to a cable company here called COMCAST COMMUNICATIONS because of the simple fact that it has NTA as one of the stations it carries. This station is quite expensive but because of the love of Nigeria, an extra mile must be met in order to continuously pay for the bill.

Please sirs/ madams, we are humbly requesting the National Assembly to prevail on NTA to make it a duty to always show any match live (home and away) involving all the national teams, Super Eagles, Super Falcons, Dream Team, Under 20, Under 17 etc. We love our country so much and we should not be discouraged.

May God bless you.

Imonitie Aitalegbe

***NIGERIANS, PLEASE VISIT www.nassnig.org AND SEND A MAIL TO ALL SENATORS AND REPRESENTATIVES. NTA MUST BE ALIVE TO THE YEARNINGS OF NIGERIANS.
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Mustay(m): 10:02pm On Jun 14, 2008
The match was played at Freetown, Sierra Leone not Nigeria

NTA won't air the game if they got no sponsor

Father[b]AIT[/b]a AIT has the rights to air Super Eagles' matches (so I heard)

Did u confirm if the numbers on , http://www.lyngsat-address.com/ln/NTA.htm were the same with those on NTA's official website?
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 12:06am On Jun 15, 2008
Mustay, sure NTA needs sponsors to air live matches! But whose duty is it to source for sponsors? I do not think its the job for you and me, thats why they have a Marketing Division. They are responsible for looking for sponsors and if they cannot get, it means they are ineffective then they should resign from the jobs.

NTA frequently shows live PDP RALLIES, ARGUNGUN FISHING FESTIVAL, RIVERS STATE TRUTH & RECONCILIATION COMMISION. I watch them live here from the USA and so many programmes of no immediate importance.  Like you said, AIT has the rights to air Super Eagles matches. If this is true, what stops NTA from seeking to get rights from them. I believe this is all stupid politics!!

It is unwanted arrogance and irresponsibility for NTA not to want to show the matches because the rights belongs to a private station. If they know they are too big, then they ought to have gotten the rights before AIT. This shows the guys at AIT Marketing are more serious and effective than the ones in NTA who do not take government work serious.

This is just politics that serves no one no good. Please invetigate and you will see its just bitter rivalry between NTA and AIT thats making it impossible for NTA to show the matches.[/b][color=#006600][/color][b][/b]
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 12:12am On Jun 15, 2008
Before the match day, everyboy knows months before that on a given day, a Super Eagles match would hold. So, why has NTA not deemed it fit to source for sponsors before these dates.

How do they get sponsors for English Premiership matches. Who sponsors old mathces they keep showing even after the end of the league. No company would sponsor old matches! So it means NTA just shows them because it is their miopic belief that Oyinbo people are superior to Blacks.

If British people don't show their premiership games to make it popular how would people know whats going on the their various stadia. So, if NTA doesnt show ours, how can the world know the talents of Nigeria.

We watch NTA in the USA. This alone is an avenue to showcase Nigeria. They should have their heads examined!
[color=#990000][/color][size=8pt][/size]
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Fadajasi(m): 11:53am On Jun 15, 2008
Wack country
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Mustay(m): 3:24pm On Jun 15, 2008
AIT will be a better option for u than NTA.

we all know the demerits of govt staions - he who pays the piper. . .
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 4:10pm On Jun 15, 2008
AIT HOW CAN NIGERIANS RECEIVE YOUR STATION HERE IN THE USA. WE ARE TIRED OF NTA. YOU GUYS HAVE TO DO SOMETHING FAST
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by bluehorizo(m): 6:11pm On Jun 15, 2008
Watch out for Daarsat. Then you will not have trouble watching all Nigerian national matches.
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Mustay(m): 10:25pm On Jun 15, 2008
AIt dey US now
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by darznets(m): 5:15pm On Jun 16, 2008
@ FatherAita
It is quite unfortunate that you and many million other Nigerians out there did not see the Super Eagles Match, i really feel ur pain, but I'll like you to know that the face of broadcasting has changed in Nigeria.

Gone are the days when NTA will air the matches by fiat, because its government tv station with nothing going back to the NFA and they will even give other private staions commandments on how to and when to show the matches. the rules have changed, if we desire to have a credible football system, you'll agree with me that it requires money and government is not ready to single-handedly foot the bill anymore, so it behoves on NFA to source to other ways of making revenue to uplift football (whether this will be judicoiusly used is a discourse for another day).

So just like every FA in the world, TV stations were asked to submit bid to buy the rights for all national teams matches, the NTA felt they can use the government might to get a waiver, alas AIT offered NFA $2.2million for the rights and the deal was signed.

Today, only AIT had the right to air all national team matches, but the contract allows for other TV stations to sign up with AIT, hence u see stations like Silverbirb TV, MBI and others showing the match from the fed from AIT.
But typical of the big for nothing NTA, they felt too big to approach AIT for feed and perhaps pay a token, That is why many Nigerians in diaspora who depend on NTA will not be able to watch the matches.
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 11:09pm On Jun 16, 2008
[b]Darznets, I really appreciate your insight into this stupid NTA stuff. It is "Bad belle" stuff that is hindering Nigeria's progress. I do not even know how they (NTA) managed to be received here in the USA. They serve us no good and pride. They show the world programmes that should not even be showed inside Nigeria not to talk of outside.

Can you imagine the senseless station showing MORE of the ugly side of the country outside? Sometimes when we are with our fellow African friends, we are ashamed because no matter how you boast of your country NTA would prove you wrong. I don't even know why they like showing BAD ROADS, STREET HAWKERS, ARMED ROBBERS (paraded by the police) etc and mostly BAD NEWS that when you hear it, you will be afraid of coming to Nigeria. We are often given the news as if Nigeria is a "no go" place. I so much HATE the people running that stupid station.

Never will you hear CNN talking about Armed Robbery and every bad thing that happen here on their CNN INTERNATIONAL, whereas, when you compare the crime here to what obtains in Nigeria, you will know Naija's own is a child's play. However, this is not to say I sanction any bad thing, I just hate when we have an information mouth-piece that cannot do anything to project the good side of the country.

My brother, please just take a look at that useless thing they show on NTA called "TODAY IN HISTORY; you will find out that everything in history is ALWAYS from the USA, UK, GERMANY etc but hardly will you find anything from Nigeria (God's beloveth country and people). At least we have somethings OBAFEMI AWOLOWO, NNAMDI AZIKIWE, ABUBAKAR TAFAWA BALEWA, ALVAN IKOKU, HEBERT MACAULAY, even IBRAHIM BABAGINDA, SANNI ABACHA, OLUSEGUN OBASANJO, SHEHU SHAGARI and thousands of notable Nigerians said or did, our past events in Nigeria that we could be reminded about or made known to our younger ones of today who were very young or not born then. But instead it is always things from outside our Nigeria that we are bombarded of. If you pick an average American or British, they cannot pick Nigeria or Brazil from an empty wolrd map.

If an average American does anything good, their journalists would shout it to the high heavens and would want to force it in your brains that it is the "best in the world" but what can our own journalists do about our own good people? NOTHING! They will not even makaanye mention of you if you are not from their tribe or religion. An Hausaman would not celebrate a Yorubaman, a Yorubaman would not celebrate an Iboman, same goes for all tribes.

I went to AIT's site and found out that I can sign up for their service and watch their station. My brother, can you beleive that I have been calling the number based in New York, since saturday, 212-481-9844 and nobody is answeringe phone (I need to sign up before our next match). I don't know when our people will begin to take things serious. And if you investigate properly, you would find out that it is our own people that are employed there yet they cannot take their jobs seriously. It is so sad!

God bless Nigeria. God bless Nigerians. God bless you.[/b]
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Mustay(m): 10:37am On Jun 17, 2008
there may be times when phone calls may not be answered. some offices do that. so confirm from ait
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by darznets(m): 1:54pm On Jun 17, 2008
FatherAita, I feel ur pains, it only goes to show you the kind of poeple we have in such a sensitive sector as broadcasting, the government will go out and lavish some huge public fund on useless iamge projection only for thier own NTA to make nonsense of the whole thing.

You need to understand that we still have the civil servants in NTA, who sees nothing wrong in doing what they have been doing for ages in same manner irrespective of the global trend. NTA as it is a bereft of innovative people and such indivudual comes along, such initiative will never see the light of the day.

As for AIT in US , i dont know much about it, but one thing i have noticed across africa is that, we dont know what is called "customer service"

May God help us
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 2:54pm On Jun 17, 2008
[b]Mustay, I strongly disagree with your notion that "there may be times when phone calls are not answered". If a worker responsible for answering phone calls dont do that and there is a complaint, such a person should be promptly fired! This will greatly give room for high productivity and discipline. I cannot remember calling an American office here for so long without someone eventually answering the phone. These people are not better th us but if we try and take our jobs seriously they way they do theirs, our greatness over theirs would manifest. Nigerians are great, this I know but we need a little more push.

I called the supposedly New York office of AIT and also called these numbers which is supposed to be their number in Alagbado +234-1-2644814, +234-1-2644815, +234-1-2644816, and also called the Abuja office number too +234-9-2347572. But regretabbly, no one answered the phones. I also wanted to call their London office number, +44-208-964-1098 but just felt otherwise because all may be the same.

I am doing all these because of my desperate desire to sign up and not miss out on the remaining Super Eagles matches[/b]
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by Ibime(m): 3:19pm On Jun 17, 2008
So NTA is not showing all these matches live? Unbelieveable. I remember the Nigeria-Mexico match at Atlanta 96 where there was a 15-minute time delay between the NTA's coverage and the live game. That is about the worst I remember from NTA when I lived in Naija. So to hear that they are not even showing matches anymore is unbelievable. Lucky for us, we have AIT in the UK.
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 3:26pm On Jun 17, 2008
I really envy but also happy for you. So, you enjoy AIT in London. How I wish I could watch these matches. Infact its making my blood pressure to rise. How can you imagine a Nigerian not watching our national team play when he/she wants to? Onyl God will change the minds of these useless NTA staff and make them humble to sign up with AIT.
Re: Nigerian Television Authority & Super Eagles by FatherAita(m): 3:37pm On Jun 17, 2008
This is the reason I am calling on all Nigerians to visit the website of the National Assembly WWW.NASSNIG.ORG so we can all shout with one voice to our Senators and Representatives to start the fixing of Nigeria.

I have come to observe that when you write to them, they do not reply under the false excuse that they are very busy. They are elected to serve the people and not to be acting like BIG MEN in Abuja.

NTA and all other parastatals must be fixed right

(1) (Reply)

Quadri, Abiodun Retain Portuguese Cup [MUST READ] / National Sports Festival: Edo Gets 2020 Hosting Right / AFCON 2012: Cote d'Ivoire Vs Sudan (1 - 0) On January 22nd 2012

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.