Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,434 members, 7,937,328 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 09:06 PM

A Country In Name Only? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / A Country In Name Only? (905 Views)

Photo: Death By Country In Saudi Tragedy. / Why Does A Country Needs To Borrow When She Can Easily Print More? / Is Nigeria Really The Richest Country In West Africa? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Country In Name Only? by tunku(m): 4:10am On Jun 15, 2008
Nigeria is an entity compiled from hundreds of cultures and traditions. This is nothing new, it is also true that the government does nothing to little to distribute the huge wealth that it weens itself on from the Delta and so on. Countries with less than a quarter of our resources are raking in double, triple, quadruple the amount in their gdp compared to Nigeria. If the country isn't being served by the current government and past government and for the foreseeable future governments why keep it intact? I am convinced that Nigeria and Nigerians will be better served if balkanized, peacefully, not like Biafra in the 60s. I am convinced that once nations are drawn along ethnically homogeneous lines rather from an amalgamation of nations still enslaved to colonial demarcation then Nigeria will be and continue to be an embarrassing failure as a state. Do we really have a national identity? I am not convinced that we do, If we did rampant corruption will not be the bane of Nigerians; The government or those in charge will think twice before dicking over Nigerians if they felt that their actions will be having an adverse effect on their people, not only on Yoruba, Igbos, Hausa, Edo, etc. A federation we are not, heck, it isn't even a confederacy. It is a thiefocracy hiding cynically behind religiosity and democracy. Of course these are only my thoughts. What are yours?
Re: A Country In Name Only? by MyTempID: 4:23am On Jun 15, 2008
I think a lot of your thoughts are outrageous. Heck you made some valid points, but otherwise I must say you lost me when you drooled on the idea that our lack of national identity is the reason for our corruption. National identity or not, no nation is free of corruption. I don't buy into the idea that as soon as we develop our national identity we will be rid of corruption. By the way, yes we do have a national identity. I think what you mean to say is we have a terrible government.
Re: A Country In Name Only? by 4Him1(m): 4:24am On Jun 15, 2008
Nigeria's problem is the failure of citizenship.
Re: A Country In Name Only? by tunku(m): 4:42am On Jun 15, 2008
Ha, Just because Nigeria does well in a couple of football tournament does not a national identity make. A failure of citizenship is certainly one reason but it again ties back to the so called leaders. If they felt a deep connection to their constituents and not see them are cows to the milked then maybe just maybe Things can get done in Nigeria. To the second poster other countries do not concern me and nor did I say Nigeria was the only corrupt country in the world. Do not participate in a discussion if you plan to talk about shits on the moon when the subject is shits on earth. In other words what does a point that I never mentioned and didn't intimate be used to point to a flaw in my argument? That is another topic. I still believe that Nigeria should be disintegrated into its constituents parts. Let the Igbos go and form Igbo land, Yoruba to Yoruba land, and Hausa to Hausa land. They certainly can't do worse than the country is doing now.
Re: A Country In Name Only? by MyTempID: 6:57am On Jun 15, 2008
I didn't infer in my above post that winning soccer tournaments is = national identity.  You're obviously mistakened and drew it out of your flamingo hat.  The nation as a whole is divided into many other forms of smaller communities.  The largest of the communities, being one which houses the smaller communities, is Nigeria the country.  Members of a nation tend to share a common identity, descent, government, and history.  Nigeria has this and qualifies as a nation, for reasons not limited to the ones I've given and for reasons far beyond its name.  As per your digression in regards to my mention of corruption.  It was in response to this:

Do we really have a national identity? I am not convinced that we do, If we did rampant corruption will not be the bane of Nigerians;
It really doesn't make sense.  Its obscurity was my reason for dismissing your conclusion, because the premise was invalid.  I already gave my reasons for it.  If you argue that our national identity is being mis-managed I would probably agree with you.  To say we don't have a national identity is not true.  And as such, you shouldn't fabricate lies just to score cheap points.

Furthermore, I don't see how division is any better. You haven't laid out a plan for the division. You just said you believe in it. It's easy to believe in anything. Even kids believe in Santa Clause. Doesn't make him real. Have you considered the red flags as well and how long it would take for such a divided nation to prosper?
Re: A Country In Name Only? by oldie(m): 11:53am On Jun 15, 2008
Why did the 4 regions work or appeared to have worked?
How come the states are not working?
Even when they are being governed by the locals?
Our value systems are misplaced
Politicians service the state, they dont serve the people!
Re: A Country In Name Only? by superman(m): 10:44pm On Jun 15, 2008
Why did the 4 regions work or appeared to have worked?
How come the states are not working?
Even when they are being governed by the locals?
Our value systems are misplaced
Politicians service the state, they don't serve the people!

i mean what a hell is the above quote

one really get sick with these jumbo-mobo analist!

what has identity do with all the money each individual government in nigeria sqaunder! look you are talking about people virually living on the egde before the got to the excutive government, barely 1 year on their tenure this people overnight accrued incredible wealth! yet and yet no one raise an eye browse for god 's sake. so why do some nigerians haters failed to picture these hurldes ehu

it could be said that those galvanising for nigeria split aare the ones that lives in forest in nigeria course they know deep inside they havent got nothing valuable other that the hut they sleep in!
Re: A Country In Name Only? by oldie(m): 3:23pm On Jun 16, 2008
@ superman
Did you understand what I wrote?
Or better, do you understand the incoherent crap you posted? shocked
Re: A Country In Name Only? by superman(m): 6:33pm On Jun 16, 2008
@ superman
Did you understand what I wrote?
Or better, do you understand the incoherent crap you posted?

INTERESTINGLY! one of them jumbo-mobo on the loose!! we are here ha

my friend the great nigeria dnt need your "old age cooked-up grammar"! now do nigeria a favour and save some space here yea.

(1) (Reply)

Fresh Panic In Niger Delta: Apprehension as Oil thieves hold communities hostage / Youths Physically Attack And Sack Monarch, Elders From Town / IT Consultants Receive Death Threats In Kogi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.