Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,634 members, 7,901,952 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 06:13 PM

Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car (2626 Views)

Iridium Or Platinum Spark Plug For Mazda 323f Glx 2.0i V6 Dohc Engine / Where Can I Get Spark Plug Non-foulers In Ibadan / Help !!! Speedometer Reader/needle Not Moving When I Am Moving (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by BrightCar: 11:42am On Sep 04, 2013
I gave my car(a BMW 5series) to a mechanic to change the plugs as I went to work. When I came back, and drove the car it was not really doing well, the following day (Saturday), I opened the bonnet to see if the plugs were actually changed, I was shock to discover that one of the plugs (#1) was very loose and when I tried to tighten it, it was not, behold the thread of the hole (cylinder) was damaged. When I start the car, the plug suddenly shoot out. I almost tear the Mechanic apart for his insincerity and damage he caused. Please what can be done to fix it? Somebody said black smith can fix a permanent adapter to hold the plug, but I don't quite welcome that idea, please your contributions.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Nobody: 12:56pm On Sep 04, 2013
Sounds like your "mechanic" either over tightened the spark plug, or cross-threaded it when he fitted them. The cylinder head of your BMW is aluminium, and won't tolerate abuse.

The adapter solution is no good, junk that idea immediately. It will place the spark further away from the piston, and the burn in that cylinder won't be efficient enough.

Your option is to have a stainless steel helicoil insert fitted. This is a world-wide recognised industry-standard for repairing damaged threads, is stronger than the existing aluninium thread, and best of all, can be done with the cylinder head in situ. You're looking at maximum 30 minutes repair time by a competent machinist.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by BrightCar: 1:27pm On Sep 04, 2013
Siena: Sounds like your "mechanic" either over tightened the spark plug, or cross-threaded it when he fitted them. The cylinder head of your BMW is aluminium, and won't tolerate abuse.

The adapter solution is no good, junk that idea immediately. It will place the spark further away from the piston, and the burn in that cylinder won't be efficient enough.

Your option is to have a stainless steel helicoil insert fitted. This is a world-wide recognised industry-standard for repairing damaged threads, is stronger than the existing aluninium thread, and best of all, can be done with the cylinder head in situ. You're looking at maximum 30 minutes repair time by a competent machinist.
THANKS SIENA. REALLY GRATEFUL. I WILL GO SEARCH FOR A GOOD MECHANIC THAT CAN HANDLE IT.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by cardoctor(m): 7:24pm On Sep 06, 2013
Siena: Sounds like your "mechanic" either over tightened the spark plug, or cross-threaded it when he fitted them. The cylinder head of your BMW is aluminium, and won't tolerate abuse.

@Sienna

Who knows about heli-coil in Naija?

The only real solution here is to replace the cylinder head. I can't really imagine what a blacksmith will do to repair a spark plug hole thread as the op is suggesting but I believe it will lead to more issues.

Cat-Doctor.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by JaaizTech: 8:16pm On Oct 17, 2013
car-doctor:

@Sienna

Who knows about heli-coil in Naija?

The only real solution here is to replace the cylinder head. I can't really imagine what a blacksmith will do to repair a spark plug hole thread as the op is suggesting but I believe it will lead to more issues.

Cat-Doctor.
That is the problem I have with some of Sienna's suggestions, they are sometimes not in tune with the reality in Nigeria. There was a post where He was asking i guy to carry out compression test on his cylinders. I just wondered where the guy was gonna get that done

1 Like

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Ikenna351(m): 8:43pm On Oct 17, 2013
Op,

Which part of Nigeria do you stay? If you stay in the East, then you have nothing to worry about. It can be re-threaded perfectly well over there.

I had similar issue once back then in Awka, Anambra state, when i was using my father's Peugeot 504 GL, XN1 engine. I was given an option of doing the new thread job with the cylinder head on or off the engine bay. I chose the off engine bay since i wouldn't some metals to drop into the combustion chamber while the re-threading work would be going on. The cylinder head was removed. About 20-30 mins later, the stripped thread was back in good shape. Of course, i had to buy head gasket for the cylinder head to be re-mounted.

Anyone that grew up in Awka, Onitsha or Enugu will understand me better. Your issue is not a big deal if thats where you live.

Ikenna.

1 Like

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Nobody: 12:31pm On Oct 18, 2013
Oops! Posted with my wife's account.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Cuzz: 1:08pm On Oct 18, 2013
Mrs Siena:

A
who is mrs Siena again?

1 Like

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 18, 2013
JaaizTech:
That is the problem I have with some of Sienna's suggestions, they are sometimes not in tune with the reality in Nigeria. There was a post where He was asking i guy to carry out compression test on his cylinders. I just wondered where the guy was gonna get that done

And I have problems with your thought process. Your statement suggests that Nigeria is on a different planet. My suggestions are in tune with EVERY country, where the automobile exists. It's guys like you that settle for second best, when it comes to Nigerian mechanics.

A compression test requires tools, a simple compression tester will cover virtually all petrol engines. You erroneously assume that all Nigerian mechanics are brainless grease monkeys. Just because a compression test sounds like rocket science to you, doesn't mean every Nigerian, both technicians or the automobile end-users aren't aware of what a compression test entails. You come across as one who accepts everything your "mechanic" tells you as gospel. Without questioning, and that's very wrong. Little wonder the Nigerian Automotive Industry is way behind, with even Ghana being leaps ahead.

The fact remains, automobiloe repair and garage equipment DOES exist, last time I checked, their import into Nigeria wasn't prohibited.

If you have issues with my automotive suggestions, then please ignore them, and continue to accept your mechanic working on your car, with nothing other than a 30 lb sledge hammer and a screwdriver. If one in fifty Nigerians benefit from my suggestions, then I'm happy.

When your "mechanic" suggests you replace the 3.5 V6 2xDOHC 24V engine in your 2009 Nissan Altima with a 1.2 I4 SOHV 8V carburettor engine, from a 1978 Datsun 120Y, be prepared to say, "yes sir." Guys who reason the way you do will be forever getting bent over by their "mechanics", have your pants pulled down, and given the rough end of a pineapple.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Nobody: 5:17pm On Oct 18, 2013
Mrs Siena: Oops! Posted with my wife's account.
Hahahahhahaha I just can't stop laughing.
Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by JaaizTech: 4:43pm On Aug 06, 2014
Siena:

And I have problems with your thought process. Your statement suggests that Nigeria is on a different planet. My suggestions are in tune with EVERY country, where the automobile exists. It's guys like you that settle for second best, when it comes to Nigerian mechanics.

A compression test requires tools, a simple compression tester will cover virtually all petrol engines. You erroneously assume that all Nigerian mechanics are brainless grease monkeys. Just because a compression test sounds like rocket science to you, doesn't mean every Nigerian, both technicians or the automobile end-users aren't aware of what a compression test entails. You come across as one who accepts everything your "mechanic" tells you as gospel. Without questioning, and that's very wrong. Little wonder the Nigerian Automotive Industry is way behind, with even Ghana being leaps ahead.

The fact remains, automobiloe repair and garage equipment DOES exist, last time I checked, their import into Nigeria wasn't prohibited.

If you have issues with my automotive suggestions, then please ignore them, and continue to accept your mechanic working on your car, with nothing other than a 30 lb sledge hammer and a screwdriver. If one in fifty Nigerians benefit from my suggestions, then I'm happy.

When your "mechanic" suggests you replace the 3.5 V6 2xDOHC 24V engine in your 2009 Nissan Altima with a 1.2 I4 SOHV 8V carburettor engine, from a 1978 Datsun 120Y, be prepared to say, "yes sir." Guys who reason the way you do will be forever getting bent over by their "mechanics", have your pants pulled down, and given the rough end of a pineapple.

Hey Hey Hey Oga Siena; I stumbled upon this your response, I believe months later. I probably didn't do a go job conveying the spirit of my response in words. Nevertheless, what I meant to say is that it is difficult to get some of your suggestions carried out. Believe me I know a compression test tool is a very simple tool that can be easily acquired and I understand its use. However, truth be told you would hardly come across a tool like that even in Elizade. So when you tell a guy to go carry out a compression test on his vehicle!, you are most likely sending him on a wild goose chase.

1 Like

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by Nobody: 4:54pm On Aug 06, 2014
Siena:

This got me laughing
Lol

1 Like

Re: Spark Plug Blow Out When I Start My Car by sultaan(m): 9:49pm On Aug 06, 2014
Siena:

you do will be forever getting bent over by their "mechanics", have your pants pulled down, and given the rough end of a pineapple.

A guy I know saiidthe had a similar experience with his doctor during a checkup the doctor first told him it was his wedding ring later said it was his wrist watch but the funny thing was that he had both hands on my friend's shoulder the whole timee grin

(1) (Reply)

Mercedes C Class W204 Steering Wheel And Driver Seatbelt Pretensioneer Needed / OMG!! See The Price List Of Brand New Toyota Cars. / Can Peugeot AC Compressor Work With Toyota?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.