Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,142 members, 7,887,307 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 06:26 AM

When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? (28740 Views)

How The 12 Apostles Of Jesus Christ Died / How Can One Identify A True Born Again Christian? / The Book Of Enoch / Jesus Quoted It And So Did Apostles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 5:21pm On Jan 22, 2011
Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves . . . He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me. -- Matthew 10:16,40

Note, that Jesus called them sheep in the midst of wolves and what did He say to those who received them?

But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name. -- John 1:12
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 5:50pm On Jan 22, 2011
Can you just honestly answer one question?
If the disciples were born again before the blood of Jesus was shed to reconcile men, of what need is the death burial and resurrection of christ?
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2011
Joagbaje:

Can you just honestly answer one question?
If the disciples were born again before the blood of Jesus was shed to reconcile men, of what need is the death burial and resurrection of christ?

You want me to answer one question, have you answered the question aletheia and others asked you about the blood of Jesus shed from the foundation of the world?  Have you answered all the verses of the gospel that I have quoted that Jesus said about the disciples to buttress my point?  What was Peter's confession about the Person of Jesus Christ?  Answer all those and I will answer your one question.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 6:00pm On Jan 22, 2011
"Holy Father, keep through thine own name those whom thou hast given me. . . . While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost. . . . I pray not that thou shouldest take them out of the world, but that thou shouldest keep them from the evil |one|" (John 17:11-12, 15).

Those who think they know better than Jesus would say these disciples were not saved at the time of this prayer.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by aletheia(m): 6:21pm On Jan 22, 2011
Joagbaje:

I don't understand your point.

You wouldn't! Study again God's promise to Abraham

Joagbaje:

No man was born again before the blood of Jesus was shed period!
Was the blood of Jesus of effect only from circa 33 AD onwards or was it of effect from the beginning? Do you think the redeeming power of Jesus is limited in time? If Abraham was not "born again", why are Christians called children of Abraham?
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 6:25pm On Jan 22, 2011
They believed Jesus came from God. But they've not received the new nature nor the holy spirit. It's this new nature that came by the resurrection life that makes a new man, that is the born again experience.

Isaiah, Moses , david all believed in the coming messiah but that didn't grant them new nature. Without the death of Jesus ,no man could recieve the new nature.

@olaadegbu,I asked a question which you avoided .
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 6:37pm On Jan 22, 2011
aletheia:

You wouldn't! Study again God's promise to Abraham
Was the blood of Jesus of effect only from circa 33 AD onwards or was it of effect from the beginning? Do you think the redeeming power of Jesus is limited in time? If Abraham was not "born again", why are Christians called children of Abraham?

The old testament folks are born again. I'm sure we had an agreement on that issue before. They got born again at the resurrection of christ. No man got recreated before Jesus rose from the dead. It is an insult to the blood on Calvary.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 7:05pm On Jan 22, 2011
Jesus had to die physically and spiritually , to identify with the fallen state of the natural man. Jesus had to be made alive or quickened in the spirit and as mans representative, the OT saints, plus the apostles and us were all quickened or made alive and circumcised through christ resurrection.

Ephesians 2:5-6
5 Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ,( by grace ye are savedwink 6 And hath raised[ us] up together, and made[ us] sit together in heavenly[ places] in Christ Jesus:. 

Colossians 2:11-12
11 In whom also ye are circumcised with the circumcision made without hands, in putting off the body of the sins of the flesh by the circumcision of Christ: 12 Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with[ him] through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.

The resurrection of christ is the key to new birth. Jesus had not invoked the new testament until his death. No body could get born again. Or recreation in their spirit. The new creation man was created in christ  in his resurrection. This is the true doctrine of Soteriology.

Ephesians 2:10
10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Dulcet7(m): 7:57pm On Jan 22, 2011
Joagbaje:

The old testament folks are born again. I'm sure we had an agreement on that issue before. They got born again at the resurrection of christ. No man got recreated before Jesus rose from the dead. It is an insult to the blood on Calvary.

Hello Joagbaje. I don't believe this. Rather, they all got born again when they believed in the God that can single-handedly make people born-again.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:17pm On Jan 22, 2011
Enigma:

Just for the records: the "Jesus died spiritully" statement is another heresy of the WoF people. Anyone interested should google 'Jesus died spiritually' or 'Jesus died spirtually heresy' and see how far some of the WoF people go with it! For example, some of them say that Jesus was tortured in hell by satan and demons as part of Him dying "spiritually".

I took this challenge to google up what the WoF movement teach about this "Jesus died spiritually" doctrine and I was shocked at what came up.  Is it true that they believe that Jesus took upon the nature of satan and was tormented in hellfire before God the Father had to come and rescue Him and then recreate His spirit?  Is that why they call Him the first person to be born again?  God have mercy.  sad sad sad

http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/word-faith2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Faith
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 8:19pm On Jan 22, 2011
"Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God" (John 3:3).

The vital doctrine of regeneration has been applicable in all ages, for man by nature is a lost sinner and must be spiritually reborn through faith in God and His promises to be saved.  This truth appears in the Old Testament, for example, in David's prayer: "Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me" (Psalm 51:10).
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Enigma(m): 8:53pm On Jan 22, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

I took this challenge to google up what the WoF movement teach about this "Jesus died spiritually" doctrine and I was shocked at what came up.  Is it true that they believe that Jesus took upon the nature of satan and was tormented in hellfire before God the Father had to come and rescue Him and then recreate His spirit?  Is that why they call Him the first person to be born again?  God have mercy.  sad sad sad

http://www.deceptioninthechurch.com/word-faith2.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_Faith

My brother, it is a very serious matter; and these are the kind of people we are dealing with; the kind of people that Oyakhilome and Joagbaje are parotting. Videos of Copeland etc saying these things used to be available on Youtube until the WoF ministries m-industries started pulling them on pretext of copyright; some should still be available somewhere on the Net.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by aletheia(m): 2:25am On Jan 23, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

I took this challenge to google up what the WoF movement teach about this "Jesus died spiritually" doctrine and I was shocked at what came up. 

Thank God; you 've found out about part of the false gospel that we contend against. The WoF is very seductive because it masquerades as the real gospel. It mixes truth with error and needs genuine discernment to be able to tell it apart. May God bless you!
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Image123(m): 4:37pm On Jan 23, 2011
@Joagbaje
Thanks for answering the questions, its a good step in the right direction.(though i'm not sure you said what it means to be born again, but i'll pass)
To be born again is thesame as receiving eternal life of God in our spirit . This eternal life is a life we recieve instantly we got born again.
This is corRECT, being born again is the same as eternal life. what we're saying is that the above disagrees with your belief concerning the apostles. The apostles had eternal life, no doubt. Meaning, it is the same as them being born again. What are the pre-requisites for eternal life again? Amongst others, it's simply the below:

John 3:15  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

John 6:54  Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Does this ring a bell?
Matthew 26:26  And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body.
Mat 26:27,28  And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it;
 For this is my blood
of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

Also this

John 6:68  Then Simon Peter answered him, Lord, to whom shall we go? thou hast the words of eternal life.
John 6:69  And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.

Search the Scriptures for "Believe in Christ and you will be SAVED".

John 17:2 As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him.
Joh 17:3  And this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent.

John 17:25  O righteous Father, the world hath not known thee: but I have known thee, and these have known that thou hast sent me.
Clearly from the above, the disciples were saved. They believed in God and in Christ, they had eaten and drank, they had eternal life, they were not lost. There's no way you can be a follower/disciple of Jesus and not be saved, they were called and chosen, what more?
sin doesn't separate us from the life and the love of God. So long as the person still lives God

Isaiah 59:2  But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.
Sin cuts us away from God, even 'baby' sinners know that. Even Jesus was cut from God when He bore our sins.
Romans 8:12  Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
Rom 8:13  For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.

(BTW, the above is dear uncle Paul after the ooooooooold testament.
a man commits sins because of his immaturity. if he sins and realise it,all he need do is to repent of it and come out of such errors.
immaturity! i reserve my comment by thunder and fire. Why does he have to repent since he's not lost eternal life according to you?
If your child  brakes your plate, he does not cease to be you child because he did wrong. Eternal life does not switch off and on.
Breaking plates, you compare sin to breaking plates? Sin cost Adam and Eve Eden, sin is damnable.

1Corinthians 6:9  Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10  Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

If you commit a pardonable sin, and do not repent and ask for pardon, you do not have eternal life, or the word of God living in you.

1John 1:9  If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.
I can remember ahithiopel and judas ( law of double reference)
Please can you quote scriptures that say that the above two's names were blotted out of the book of life? And if you believe their names are, i won't argue it but what makes you think that God will blot out their names but won't blot out others?
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Image123(m): 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2011
@Joagbaje
They believed in christ but their spirit had not been recreated, they saw jesus in the light of a political messiah.
Yes, the disciples did not fully understand Jesus, and His Words. Do you? Does a negative then confirm that you don't have a 'new life/spirit'?
We must remember that there was no remission without the shedding if the blood  It is a big error to say that men were reconciled to God without the shedding of the blood of Jesus.
We must also remember that Jesus was slain from the 'foundation of the world'. Don't you remember?
the new creation was created in christ when he was resurrected. His resurrection gave birth to the new creation.

They had a form of godliness but their worship was In the flesh before Jesus died. The true worshippers came on the scene after resurrection
Any scriptures to confirm the bolded? You quoted this passage, did you read it?

23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God[ is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship[ him] in spirit and in truth.
The question is when did the apostle get born again , the answer is, they got saved after the death of christ .

John 17:12  While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son of perdition; that the Scripture might be fulfilled.
Luke 19:10  For the Son of man is come to seek and to save that which was lost.
If you claim they were born again , what did Jesus die for? Was there any need for Jesus to die again?

So what did Jesus die for.

1Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
Hebrews 2:9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
for every man, for the whole world, to bring us in not just the jews, to open the vail, to make an end of sins. To take our place, our punishment (for the soul that sins shall die).

John 5:24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but is passed from death unto life.
This above is the condition for passing from death to life, not just the resurrection. Believe the good news and you will be saved.
2Corinthians 5:17  Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
Any man IN Christ is a new creature. That is the gospel. To believe IN CHRIST, in His sacrifice, in His Life, In His atonement, In His substitution, in His resurrection, in His Lordship, In Him, that's salvation. You become born again when you believe In Him, not when He resurrected.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by UyiIredia(m): 6:14pm On Jan 23, 2011
@ Joagabaje >>> clarify what u mean by redemption being different from being born again >>> i think the two can be used interchangeably >>> the rest of your points are well noted
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by newmi(m): 8:16am On Jan 24, 2011
@ OLAADEGBU
l think you should answer them question Joagbje asked you: ifi them disciples were bornagain before Jesus died and resurrected then of what significance then is the shedding of the blood of Jesus to their them. thank you
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 9:24am On Jan 24, 2011
newmi:

@ OLAADEGBU
l think you should answer them question Joagbje asked you: ifi them disciples were bornagain before Jesus died and resurrected then of what significance then is the shedding of the blood of Jesus to their them. thank you

I have not gotten over what you guys believe and teach others (i.e. JDS).  If you believe Jesus had to be born again who am I argue with you that His disciples were not born again before this?

Go to the link below for answers to your question and it is my prayer that the good Lord would open your eyes.

http://www.learnthebible.org/salvation-of-disciples.html
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 12:21pm On Jan 24, 2011
^^^^
why are you afraid to answer the question. Let's not try to win an argument. If i'm wrong , I will gladly admit and learn. Don't raise all these wof sentiments nonsense to dodge a question. I'm sure you guys are feeling boxed in. If not you should have answered . Many professing christing lack understanding of righteousness in christ. If your foundation is faulty it will affect the entire structure. The truth is simple. If men were born again before the blood of Jesus was shed . Was need and significant was his death .
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 12:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
OLAADEGBU:

You want me to answer one question, have you answered the question aletheia and others asked you about the blood of Jesus shed from the foundation of the world?

There was no physical blood shed from the foundation of the world. It was a prophetic utterance.  Just like "a father of many nation have I made thee" that didn't mean Abraham had a nation before Isaac or isreal.

Have you answered all the verses of the gospel that I have quoted that Jesus said about the disciples to buttress my point?  What was Peter's confession about the Person of Jesus Christ?  Answer all those and I will answer your one question.

the issue is not what Peter said, Moses called him shillo,Job called him "my redeemer" The major issue is the grace availabe for their time.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 12:37pm On Jan 24, 2011
@Image123

Image123:

@Joagbaje
Thanks for answering the questions, its a good step in the right direction.(though i'm not sure you said what it means to be born again, but i'll pass)

Man is born dead in his spirit, To be born again is to have man's spirit recreated. This recreation was made possible by the death burial and resurrection of christ. 

Ezekiel 36:26-27
26 A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my spirit within you, and cause you to walk in my statutes, and ye shall keep my judgments, and do[ them]. 

Been born again is an operation of the holy spirit, being born again is also called being baptised into the body of christ.

1 Corinthians 12:13
13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body. . .

John 7:39
39( But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet[ given];
because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

The operation of the holy spirit has been outward . Just like the Old Testament prophets . The holyspirit operation was not inward because Jesus had not been glorified .

John 14:17-20
17[ Even] the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you. 

Eternal life is a life in christ . Jesus didnt come into any person until his ascension . When a man receives Jesus , he receives the life in christ as well. Because the life is in christ.

1 John 5:11-12
11 And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. 12 He that hath the Son hath life;[ and] he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. 

being born again is the same as eternal life. what we're saying is that the above disagrees with your belief concerning the apostles. The apostles had eternal life, no doubt. Meaning, it is the same as them being born again. What are the pre-requisites for eternal life again? Amongst others, it's simply the below:

John 3:15  That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life. 
John 3:16  For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. 

All these scriptures are irrelevant to your claim, they were written after his resurection.

John 6:54  [color=#770077]Whoso eateth my flesh, and drinketh my blood, hath eternal life; and I will raise him up at the last day.
Does this ring a bell?
Matthew 26:26  And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, and blessed it, and broke it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. 
Mat 26:27,28  And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; 
  For this is my blood
of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.

The communion was symbolic , that's drink was symbolic , but that was not the blood of the covenant . The blooodof the covenant was shed at the cross. A covenant can not be if effect until the testator dies. So, Jesus saying the wine is the blood is only symbolic. 

Hebrews 9:16-17
16 For where a testament[ is], there must also of necessity be the death of the testator. 17[b] For a testament[ is] of force after men are dead: otherwise it is of no strength at all while the testator liveth.[/b] 

The life is in christ, christ only came in to man after resurrection . No man could recieve the life  until Jesus died. If men could be born again , there would have been no need for his death. It's an insult to the blood of christ. The new testament became of effect after Jesus died. A testament can not be of effect until the testator die. This is so simple.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by SirJohn(m): 12:47pm On Jan 24, 2011
look at Joagbaje accusing someone of evading questions grin grin grin wonders shall never end
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 1:19pm On Jan 24, 2011
@dulcet
Dulcet7:

Hello Joagbaje. I don't believe this. Rather, they all got born again when they believed in the God that can single-handedly make people born-again.

They were circumcised in the body but not in their spirit. The blood of Jesus was needed for ratification. Since their spirit have not been recreated . Their worship of God was not perfect because of the nature of sin. But we , by the new created spirit have been circumcised not by flesh but in the spirit.

John 4:23-24
23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God[ is] a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship[ him] in spirit and in truth.

Philippians 3:3
3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh. 
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Image123(m): 4:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
@ Joagbaje and newmi

why are you afraid to answer the question. Let's not try to win an argument. If i'm wrong , I will gladly admit and learn. Don't raise all these wof sentiments nonsense to dodge a question. I'm sure you guys are feeling boxed in. If not you should have answered .
I already answered that on his behalf. I'll re-post it and add to it.

1Corinthians 15:3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures;
Hebrews 2:9  But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honor; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man.
for every man, for the whole world, to bring us in not just the jews, to open the vail, to make an end of sins. To take our place, our punishment (for the soul that sins shall die).

Christ did not die to recreate us, He died for the sins of all the world. Without His death, the gentiles could not be brought in en-masse. Without His death, the vail of the temple could not have been done away with i.e we all couldn't be brought nearer to God, to His very presence. He died to take our place of punishment (the wages of sin is death), so that we do not have to take it, in the process also taking the place of the paschal lamb. That's why we do not have to kill lambs today, He has taken their place,, that's the 'disannulling of the law'. That's why Jesus shed His blood.
Ephesians 1:7  In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;
There is no scripture that will tell you that Christ's death is for recreation.
And lets i skip it again, He resurrected because He is Life. That's His nature. Or let me dwell on a point that is more easily understood; that is that He is both priest and sacrifice. Christ was not just the sacrifice but also the Priest that offered the sacrifice. And He still remains our high priest today.(Hebrews). The significance of the resurrection amongst others are;
1. It stands Christ as unique for all time from any other religious leader or founder.
2. It gives Him victory over death, giving all believers hope and certainty of our own resurrection.
3. It proves His commitment to fulfil all scripture(the Scripture cannot be broken), giving us faith in His promises and immutabilty.
Again, the scriptures do not say resurrection is for recreation. Recreation is the life of Christ/eternal life in us, and we receive it when we believe in Jesus. Jesus was verily verily sure of this.

John 5:24  Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that heareth my word, and believeth on him that sent me, hath everlasting life, and shall not come into condemnation; but IS passed from death unto life.
Many professing christing lack understanding of righteousness in christ. If your foundation is faulty it will affect the entire structure. The truth is simple.
I wish you really believed and understood this quote of yours. Your sect appears to be the one in lack of this basic understanding, the entire structure is seen affected. The likes of OLAADEGBU do not struggle with major sins that are common to many in your congregation. Your congregation, sorry to say, is widely reported for base sins like fornication, lasciviousness, idolatry, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, revellings, and such like. While you deny some, some you excuse as mistakes due to immaturity, but OLA and his friends say they've passed that stage. The truth is simple, and perhaps bitter.
There was no physical blood shed from the foundation of the world. It was a prophetic utterance.
Ohh, were you not the one that was pointing to names written from the 'foundation of the world'? So this one is prophetic? ahhh.
The operation of the holy spirit has been outward . Just like the Old Testament prophets . The holyspirit operation was not inward because Jesus had not been glorified .
Jo, this is scripturally wrong. The Holy Spirit has always been around and in God's people. He came on Pentecost in baptismal measure and to dwell PERMANENTLY with us. Look at this scriptures showing that the Spirit was not just outward but inward.

Psalm 51:10  Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.
Psa 51:11  Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me.

Luke 1:41  And it came to pass, that, when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost:
Luke 1:67  And his father Zacharias was filled with the Holy Ghost, and prophesied, saying,
Exodus 31:3  And I have filled him with the spirit of God, in wisdom, and in understanding, and in knowledge, and in all manner of workmanship,
Numbers 27:18  And the LORD said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him;
Jesus didnt come into any person until his ascension . When a man receives Jesus , he receives the life in christ as well. Because the life is in christ.
Jesus was already IN, nobody is disputing the bolded.
John 15:4  Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me.
Joh 15:5  I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
Joh 15:9  As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love.

You obviously cannot stay somewhere you are not IN, you can't abide somewhere if you are not there.

All these scriptures are irrelevant to your claim, they were written after his resurection.
Written after His resurrection? What sort of excuse is this? where do you stand exactly? when convenient, you'll claim the gospels were before the resurrection, now, you're claiming after resurrection. When did Jesus say it and who was He talking to? You becoming such a joke on this issue.
The communion was symbolic , that's drink was symbolic , but that was not the blood of the covenant

Jesus said it is the blood of the new testament, Why are you saying it is not? should we believe you now ahead of Jesus? I'll quote it again from another passage.
Mark 14:24  And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by InesQor(m): 5:59pm On Jan 24, 2011
newmi:

@ OLAADEGBU
l think you should answer them question Joagbje asked you: i[b]fi them disciples were bornagain before Jesus died and resurrected then of what significance then is the shedding of the blood of Jesus to their them.[/b] thank you
Oh boy na wa o! Joagbaje and the crew are at it again!! grin We don return to this old rusty argument again since April last year?  undecided undecided undecided

I don't even have the energy to argue now so I will quote from that old thread "What it means to be Born Again https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-429416.224.html ". I will also attach Aletheia's drawing from the thread for graphical emphasis. Shikena smiley

Hang on. . .

InesQor:
OT Saints received salvation looking forward to Jesus' sacrifice the exact same way we receive salvation looking back to Jesus' sacrifice. God is not limited in time so they did not have to be without the salvation until Christ died. Yes, they were born again as much as any Christian is today. Our faith looks back as theirs looks forward.

@Joagbaje:
I beg to disagree, sir.

Being born of the Spirit means being Spirit-controlled even in the face of "normal human behaviour". See John 3:7-8 where Jesus compares it to the blowing wind. It is a walk of faith and reliance on God.

The only person in the Bible besides Jesus who spoke of being born again, is Peter in 1 Peter 1:23, and he clearly says that its the incorruptible word of God that makes one born again. Noah received this word of God by faith and it transformed his experience, as much as Saul of Tarsus did.  Thus both are as born again as each other.

The only difference in aspect is that the Spirit filled OT saints selectively, while for NT saints there is no partial selectivity across persons, times and purposes. They still have one thing in common though, the Spirit will not move against your faith in God and reliance on His Word.

InesQor:
From the very beginning to the end, Christ the Son of God, in whom dwells the fullness of the Godhead, has been, is, and will be present and remains the ONLY way to the Father. But even in the physical, Christ has always been there, and in many more revelations than as a man. He was the lamb slain from before the world's foundations.

In the OT, Christ was typified from the instance of the initial covering of the unclothedness of Adam and Eve, to Abel's pure sacrifice, to the ark of Noah's baptism, to the promise that Abraham received, etc etc into aspects of the law like the passover and atonement, the Rock of water, the Manna of heaven, the Serpent that was hung for healing, etc etc.

According to God's promise to avenge Eve (since satan got man down, a man had to conquer him in return), the last typification of Christ on earth was as a man, the man Jesus Christ. This man-clothed God referred to himself using these various typifications that earlier represented him in the Old Testament. But for that they sought to kill him. They never sought to abolish the passover for instance, or discredit Noah's ark, or say the manna was just a myth! This is the stubbornness of human hearts, because they saw him like them in the flesh. They never once realized Christ had always been there. Abraham rejoiced to see his day, before Abraham was, Christ is.

The very same faith with which Noah built an ark is the same faith with which one confesses Jesus Christ as Lord. Their reward of being "Born Again" is equal. Their salvation is equal. None is superior to the other.

For the same reason, I believe there may be people today who never heard of the man Jesus but are "Born again", i.e. Born from Above because God communicated Christ to them the same way he communicated Christ to Noah, Enoch, Abraham, David and other OT saints.

I believe it is wrong to claim a monopoly on the Christ for us just because we know him in the flesh. There are those who knew him in essence before His revelation in the flesh, and their faith was imputed unto them as righteousness. Just like yours was imputed too, when you got born again by faith in Christ become flesh.

Faith in Christ is what makes one born again.

InesQor:
As usual, I now present an analogy just because I like using them to explain my points. cheesy

A wealthy king travelled but before he did, he called his subjects and issued them IOU papers (I owe you) in the name of the King so that when he returns he can pay back on the IOUs. If he had been around, his seal would be necessary to get money from the treasury. So in his absence, the subjects continued their business ON THE FAITH that He would be true to His word and pay back all the IOUs when he gets back. They used his seal to get business done, even though they were looking FORWARD to the actual availability of the seal.

There was one limitation though, and that was the fact that according to your ability and your role in the King's court, your IOU was for a particular aspect of commerce and it was written in YOUR name. You could not be a kitchen worker and use the IOU to get shoes for your new wife. If the loving king was around, you could approach him and ask him for that even though you are a kitchen worker, and you will get it. In essence, the fullness of value was promisory in nature and there was no liberty of purpose. But then the King returned and he brought his Seal with him. Nobody had to use IOUs again, but now value was received by looking BACK at the arrival of the seal, the same way his subjects  that used IOUs looked forward to the arrival. None are better than the other, although the former ones worked with much less to obtain the very much same life.

The Seal is the Holy Spirit, the seal was available by proxy to the OT saints via IOUs issued while waiting for the King, Christ, to be born on earth. They looked forward as we look backwards but as Peter said, its the very same word of God that makes us Born Again.

Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by newmi(m): 7:02pm On Jan 24, 2011
SirJohn:

look at Joagbaje accusing someone of evading questions grin grin grin wonders shall never end
My dear SirJohn please this forum would gladly appreciate no deviation from the thread. Thank you
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 9:05pm On Jan 24, 2011
@inesqor

I'm wondering where to start from in this your last post. Let me just pick one point to explain all

The Seal is the Holy Spirit, the seal was available by proxy to the OT saints via IOUs issued while waiting for the King, Christ, to be born on earth. They looked forward as we look backwards but as Peter said, its the very same word of God that makes us Born Again.

Old testament folks look towards it , we look back to it right? Looking forward to what? And backward to what?   TO THE CROSS! It  was not the birth of Jesus that brought salvation. But his death on the cross . The blood had to be shed. Without the shedding of the blood there is no remission for sin. 

Hebrews 9:16-18
16 In the case of a will, it is necessary to prove the death of the one who made it, 17 because a will is in force only when somebody has died; it never takes effect while the one who made it is living. 18 This is why even the first covenant was not put into effect without blood.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by InesQor(m): 9:25pm On Jan 24, 2011
Joagbaje:

@inesqor

I'm wondering where to start from in this your last post. Let me just pick one point to explain all

Old testament folks look towards it , we look back to it right? Looking forward to what? And backward to what? TO THE CROSS! It was not the birth of Jesus that brought salvation. But his death on the cross . The blood had to be shed. Without the shedding of the blood there is no remission for sin.

Are we not saying the apostles were born again in advance of the crucifixion, also looking forward? And you are saying they were not born again because Jesus had to first die and go to hell to be tormented by demons before anybody could be saved?

Bros, you are starting to talk with both sides of your mouth o. Please move to one side make we know wetin you dey talk sef sef.
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by Joagbaje(m): 10:00pm On Jan 24, 2011
^^^
The question was , when did the apostles get born again? . I know there are two major schools of thought . One says on the Pentecost ,the second says when Jesus appeared in the upper room and breathed upon them saying "recieve the spirit" I thought those are the issue we should be talking about. But our deeper bros image and olaadegbu claimed that the apostles were born again during the earthly ministry of christ ,even before his death on the cross!. How can the new life of the new testament be given when the blood of christ had not been shed. I said nobody got born again until Jesus rose from the dead. The new coven at didn't come of effect until Jesus rose from the dead. If people got born again without the death , burial and resurrection of christ, then what need was his death?

1 Corinthians 15:17
17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith[ is] vain; ye are yet in your sins
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by nuclearboy(m): 11:03pm On Jan 24, 2011
All so really simple

To the supposed "Christian", which is more REAL?

1. God or You?
2. Spirit or Flesh
3. The sacrifice God said WAS at the beginning of the world OR the physical act seen by men?

The True Christian (serving in SPIRIT & TRUTH) will see God while the man of flesh will see and insist on the physical. As far as Christ was concerned, His Disciples AND those God gave Him were born again though the physical had not taken place. It was a formality. Truth IS, and does not become
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by newmi(m): 11:39pm On Jan 24, 2011
@Joagbaje
Please permit me to call your attention to this very interesting scripture you sited earlier on which l feel its a key to understand how that the apostles or anybody else could't have possibly gotten bornagain prior to the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ:

1Corinthians 12 : 13
"For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether we be Jews or Gentiles, whether we be bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit."

You know what Jo, l feel this is the key because if by one Spirit we ALL have been baptized (Grk baptizo- to be immense completely) into Christ meaning that the Holy Spirit was/is the agency by which we all were inducted and initiated as God's legitimate adopted sons in Christ Jesus and this Holy Spirit described to us by Jesus as the "another comforter"

John 14 : 16 "And l will prayer the Father, and He shall give you another Comforter, that he may abideth with you for ever"

vs26 "But the Comforter, which is them Holy Ghost, whom them Father will send in my name ---"

This all important gift was a promise till Acts 2, so important was this promised Comforter that Jesus enjoined His disciples to remain in Jerusalem untill "the promise of the Father" (officially) shows up thus beginning His operation on earth (He was/is the key)

Acts1:4-5
"And, being assembled together with them, commanded them that they should not depart from Jerusalem, buty wait for them promise of the Father, which, saith he, yes have heard of me. ---but ye shall be BAPTIZED with the Holy Ghost not many days hence"

JESUS SAID REMAIN UNTILL THE HOLY SPIRIT (WHO IS THE AGENCY OF THEIR INDUCTION AND INITIATION INTO SONSHIP IN CHRIST JESUS AS WELL BEGOTTEN CHILDREN) SHOWS UP

Remember the Holy Spirit is the Spirit of Adoption
Romans 8: 14 -15
"For as many as are led by them Spirit of God, they are the sons of God. For yes have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; buty yes have received them Spirit of ADOPTION , whereby we cry, Abba Father".

The question now is: how is it pissible for these same apostles to be bornagain (become adopted children) without the Holy Spirit or before the coming of the Holy Spirit

John 1: 12
"Buty as many as received him,(which the apostles did) to them gave he power to become them sons God, even to them that believe in his name."

"He gave them piwer to become sons---" "buty yes have received them Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry Abba Father"

For God sake this is a simple "logic"
Re: When Did The Apostles Become Born Again? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:36am On Jan 25, 2011
Father of Believers

"And he believed in the LORD; and he counted it to him for righteousness" (Genesis 15:6)

The key New Testament doctrine of imputed righteousness, received through saving faith in the Word of God, is foreshadowed beautifully in the life of Abraham. Because of his strong faith, demonstrated again and again in difficult acts of obedience, Abraham has been called "the father of all them that believe" (Romans 4:11). Our text verse is quoted four times in the New Testament (Romans 4:3, 22; Galatians 3:6; James 2:23) and is made the basis of the great gospel theme of salvation and righteousness. This is obtained, not by one's good works, but by imputation, and is received through faith in the gracious promises of God through Jesus Christ. "For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him" (2 Corinthians 5:21).

"Therefore it is of faith, that it might be by grace; to the end the promise might be sure . . . to that also which is of the faith of Abraham; who is the father of us all" (Romans 4:16). Just as "Jerusalem which is above . . . is the mother of us all" (Galatians 4:26), so faithful Abraham is "the father of us all." Spiritual Jerusalem speaks of salvation by grace, rather than by law, and Abraham testifies of righteousness through faith, rather than by works. And yet, 12 of the 40 verses of Hebrews 11, the great "faith chapter," deal with the outward evidences of Abraham's inner faith.

There is still another reference to Abraham's spiritual seed: "Know ye therefore that they which are of faith, the same are the children of Abraham" (Galatians 3:7). As Abraham's spiritual children, therefore, we also ought to believe God's Word at whatever cost, demonstrating the reality of our faith to the world--as did father Abraham--by obeying God. HMM

For more . . . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (18) (Reply)

Have You Noticed All The Women Accusing Suleiman Are Into Acting/showbiz? / Investigation Of Hardmirror's Claims In "Pastor To Atheist" Threads / Pastor Chris & Anita Oyakhilome Reportedly Share Their Two Children

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 183
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.