Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,469 members, 7,917,455 topics. Date: Sunday, 11 August 2024 at 07:38 AM

Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC (10805 Views)

Oba Of Benin Death: Our Hearts Are Heavy, Says Oshiomhole / Biafra: Dutch, Seven Others To Testify Against Kanu: Punch / Amaechi, Seven Others Listed For Screening (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Nobody: 10:30am On Sep 06, 2013
moodswing:

Very intelligent.

It's just like Taking your 12 months salary upfront to solve today's pressing financial burdens which will leave you with a lot of money to spend today but without pay for 11months.

Maybe we should print enough money to buy all the dollars in US treasury right?.

He needs fiscal enlightenment and not chastisement. Educate him.
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by moodswing(m): 10:38am On Sep 06, 2013
Billyonaire:

He needs fiscal enlightenment and not chastisement. Educate him.

Your right...
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by mekaboy(m): 10:51am On Sep 06, 2013
obitwo:

Can you show me one ...just one of your post that was every truly analytical?

LASG generates about N25bn in IGR monthly which is about N300bn annually

In addition, Ekiti State generates N1bn monthly which is N12bn annually making their debt to revenue ratio very ideal

This is not about lagos this about all states owing, why have they refused to provide info on IGR? You will no that most ongoing projects contractors are not paid in full. When the submit the IGR and the amount owed contractors, according to the information above it won't make any difference.

Any state that wants to argue the report should provide the amount the owe contractors and their IGR.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by chuckdelis: 11:07am On Sep 06, 2013
I wonder what kaduna state is doin on dat list,no developmnt,where d moni com dey?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by lakesider(m): 11:11am On Sep 06, 2013
for does that just comment for commenting sake.only economics can tell U if a debt is a good one or a bad one.the entile coins and notes available in the world today cannot pay americans debt{researched fact} dat does not make american economy a bad one. please think b4 U comment
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by ujoinme: 11:11am On Sep 06, 2013
The sad thing is that this debts does not include what they are owing to contractors.if those debts were added then the amount of debt will be so alarming.
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by mbhs139(m): 11:15am On Sep 06, 2013
I thought the Lagos State Government has always and consistently argue that it can service and is servicing its debt?
By the way, is this not suppose to be a report compiled in 2011? Well, the picture painted might still be the same though, or may have even changed for the worse given past precedence in Nigeria's system of Governance.

Anyway, I want to believe Lagos is up to the task.
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by chucky234(m): 11:25am On Sep 06, 2013
Am I surprised, NO.
I said here weeks back that Fashola will plunge Lagos into the lagoon by his excessive borrowing with little plastic projects to show, but my fellow gullible Lagosians see nothing wrong with him borrowing billions monthly.
Lagos today is the most debted state in the country yet living condition of the people of Mushin,Ajegunle,Okoko,Ajangbadi,Ipaja,Amukoko,Orile,Coker,Agege,Oshodi,Iba,Maza-Maza,Ojo,Igando,Ikotun has since worsen in Fashola's eight years as governor despite the excessive borrowing and huge internal revenue generation.
APC is worst than PDP, we need divine intervention.

4 Likes

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by mufex(m): 11:28am On Sep 06, 2013
moodswing: As an economist, I have consistently argued that Lagos is borrowing more than it should and also not investing on strategic developmental projects with real economic value on the short/long term.

Just like When Ngige was governor, he spent almost all the money the state had and borrowed just to finance wonder projects with no commensurate economic value. Just because we ignorantly see building of certain infrastructures especially roads as development, politicians use it to a grave advantage.

Gov't should be strategic in drawing up it's scale of preference before arbitrarily spending on fancy projects just because it's an eye candy that appeals to the ignorant sense of the ordinary people.

Billions were expended to plant flowers on bad roads, then Roads and bridges concessioned, because the state can't fund the project.

Rochas is another dude preying on people's ignorance. In a bid to fulfill too many bogus campaign promises, he has extensively borrowed to finance dubious and highly inflated projects.

Even Elechi of Ebonyi state is another sorry story not even worth going into.

Brazil isn't as fancy as the UK, but the economy of Brazil did surpass that of the UK. Making more appealing to investment than the UK which in return boosts it's economic potential and growth.

Lagos is politically astute but economically irresponsible. If Lagos state is well managed, in 7yrs, not only with she be without debt, but also become the Hong Kong of Nigeria. The potential is there but every economic decision is usually not without a greater amount of political undertone and interest.

God help us and give us the leaders we need not the politicians we want.
I told my uncle the same thing...I haven't seen any change in lagos. Economic changes...I see just new roads and nothing else. Fashola has done nothing in lagos. People are poorer than they used to be. AC members are just getting richer.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by mekaboy(m): 11:28am On Sep 06, 2013
mbhs139: I thought the Lagos State Government has always and consistently argue that it can service and is servicing its debt?
By the way, is this not suppose to be a report compiled in 2011? Well, the picture painted might still be the same though, or may have even changed for the worse given past precedence in Nigeria's system of Governance.

Anyway, I want to believe Lagos is up to the task.

The philosophy behind borrowing in Nigeria is simple.

1) Borrow money

2) Spend 40% on projects nigerians can see

3) Pocket the rest

4) Pass the dept to the next administration, when they get in they will iterate the process again.

5) Finally, if Nigerians dept can be cancelled, then when the dept becomes unbearable, maybe the state debt will be cancelled too.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Evestar200(f): 11:41am On Sep 06, 2013
thank God say delta state nor dy dere if not we for go ask uduagha where he hide all the money wey he borrow put
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by francisbiz: 11:46am On Sep 06, 2013
[quote author=ceosville]In Other words E.T Tinz[/quote
Seriously, you are an END-TIME BEING!
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by hustla(m): 11:47am On Sep 06, 2013
yayyy

ogun state isnt there!

ogun o ni baje ooo !!

Lagos haff soon wantu baje ooo !! now wey them don ban molue now..

*starts trekking from Ikeja to V.I*

grin

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by dazzy4real(m): 11:53am On Sep 06, 2013
As far as am concern this topic does not concern me! tongue
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by ujoinme: 11:56am On Sep 06, 2013
dazzy4real: As far as am concern this topic does not concern me! tongue

Then why are you commenting?
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Vavavoom(m): 11:56am On Sep 06, 2013
moodswing:

Very intelligent.

It's just like Taking your 12 months salary upfront to solve today's pressing financial burdens which will leave you with a lot of money to spend today but without pay for 11months.

Maybe we should print enough money to buy all the dollars in US treasury right?.

lol...more like Zimboconomics - forget about inflation, just print money. Mugabe, come take your student away from here, please.

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by oluamid(m): 12:05pm On Sep 06, 2013
He who goes a-borrowing soon goes a-sorrowing. undecided

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 06, 2013
They say my governor is a thief but atleast his state is not in a huge debt.He gave 2face a wedding gift but pple criticized him.We'v built our international airport without a kobo 4rm d federal govt,he has built alot of roads including federal road,he brought free education.I can't begin mention every-every.If he should complete the olympic stadium and go along way with the international seaport b4 or at 2015,then i will praise him more.Dem say u b thief,but atleast u don try abeg.Its not a small tin o.Haters will continue to hate,but akwa ibom wil continue to move forward o.
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by BigPhil(m): 12:16pm On Sep 06, 2013
moodswing: As an economist, I have consistently argued that Lagos is borrowing more than it should and also not investing on strategic developmental projects with real economic value on the short/long term.

Just like When Ngige was governor, he spent almost all the money the state had and borrowed just to finance wonder projects with no commensurate economic value. Just because we ignorantly see building of certain infrastructures especially roads as development, politicians use it to a grave advantage.

Gov't should be strategic in drawing up it's scale of preference before arbitrarily spending on fancy projects just because it's an eye candy that appeals to the ignorant sense of the ordinary people.

Billions were expended to plant flowers on bad roads, then Roads and bridges concessioned, because the state can't fund the project.

Rochas is another dude preying on people's ignorance. In a bid to fulfill too many bogus campaign promises, he has extensively borrowed to finance dubious and highly inflated projects.

Even Elechi of Ebonyi state is another sorry story not even worth going into.

Brazil isn't as fancy as the UK, but the economy of Brazil did surpass that of the UK. Making more appealing to investment than the UK which in return boosts it's economic potential and growth.

Lagos is politically astute but economically irresponsible. If Lagos state is well managed, in 7yrs, not only with she be without debt, but also become the Hong Kong of Nigeria. The potential is there but every economic decision is usually not without a greater amount of political undertone and interest.

God help us and give us the leaders we need not the politicians we want.

One of the most insightful comments so far on this forum based on facts and empricism.Especially the one on Ngige and that clown Rochas.

Well done.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Pattey(m): 12:18pm On Sep 06, 2013
Observations

1- Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Edo, Ekiti are 5 of the former 6 states under ACN b4 the APC merger, how come they are in so much debt? That's like 90% of former ACN states. Could there be more or just a coincidence?

2 - Rivers is not listed among the 'indebted' states. Why aren't Amaechi's antagonists seeing that? Wonder how come some have been . . . Nvm; next

3 - For the states in chronic debts, are the ongoing 'transformation efforts' worthy enough to mortgage the future of coming generations? That's what it is, right?

Must so-called development come at a price of inhuman looting? Must we be robbed blind because we want change, progress, development etcetera?

If we believe it ok to be looted as long 'something is done', when shall we get there?

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Samxiulee: 12:27pm On Sep 06, 2013
Billyonaire: Lagos State is owing almost 200 billion Naira ? Oh my Gosh, Rossikk was right oh. If you give Tinubu and Fashola access to the Presidency, then these APC guys will plunge Nigeria into blackhole of poverty.

your hypocrisy hold no bounds,you decided to turn a blind eye to Bayelsa a state that earn much more than Lagos?btw the 200 billion naira was guaranteed by the FG,for nothing less than 5 to 10yrs,Lagos can afford to payback 20billion naira every year without blinking an eye from the over 400billion naira she makes every year.At least we can see the roads,the flowers and the rails,please can you point out what Bayelsa is doing with her Loan?
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by Zet72(m): 12:37pm On Sep 06, 2013
grin grin Boy Boy fash I hail ooo, Oga jagagban kudos ooo I dey see una hand......
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by desgiezd(m): 12:40pm On Sep 06, 2013
Isnt it funny that they are using a report based on 2011 Accounts to raise alarm in 2013?
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by oneeast3: 12:42pm On Sep 06, 2013
Pattey: Observations

1- Lagos, Ogun, Osun, Edo, Ekiti are 5 of the former 6 states under ACN b4 the APC merger, how come they are in so much debt? That's like 90% of former ACN states. Could there be more or just a coincidence?

2 - Rivers is not listed among the 'indebted' states. Why aren't Amaechi's antagonists seeing that? Wonder how come some have been . . . Nvm; next

3 - For the states in chronic debts, are the ongoing 'transformation efforts' worthy enough to mortgage the future of coming generations? That's what it is, right?

Must so-called development come at a price of inhuman looting? Must we be robbed blind because we want change, progress, development etcetera?

If we believe it ok to be looted as long 'something is done', when shall we get there?

You forgot to add poor Imo state which has been mortgaged by the new godfather tinibu? grin

1 Like

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by asha80(m): 12:53pm On Sep 06, 2013
BigPhil:

One of the most insightful comments so far on this forum based on facts and empricism.Especially the one on Ngige and that clown Rochas.

Well done.

Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by IGBOSON1: 1:14pm On Sep 06, 2013
BigPhil:

Well done.

^^^But it's increasingly looking like Anambrans like shooting themselves in the foot, and are unwittingly paving the way for Ngige to return and collect what he forgot at Awka gov't house! undecided
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by bootlegaz: 1:20pm On Sep 06, 2013
My yoruba (Lagos) friends went cricket on this thread. grin grin
Re: Lagos, Ekiti, Seven Others Are Heavy Debtors –FRC by willycrown: 1:21pm On Sep 06, 2013
Unfortunately, the current indebtedness of Lagos is worse than reported in that report. As at June this year, Lagos State foreign debt profile alone is $865,531,142.12. (http://www.dmo.gov.ng/oci/subn/docs/States%20and%20FGN%20External%20Debt%20Stock%20as%20at%2030th%20June,%202013.pdf)

Even According to Lagos State DMO, The state's indebtedness as at the end of 2012 was N338,980,000,000 ( https://www.google.com.ng/search?q=domestic+debt+profile+of+lagos+state&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&gws_rd=cr&ei=1MYpUpjHEabB0QWQnYHgA)

For those saying the debt is sustainable, kindly note the percentage of the state's revenue being allocated to debt servicing. It has increased from 8.9% in 2008 to 20% in 2013.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

FG Announces N213bn Intervention Funds For Electricity Companies / Abubakar ‘abusidiq’ Usman: The True Story Of My Arrest By EFCC / Chikwe Udensi: I Want To Be Abia Governor

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.