Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,495 members, 7,975,014 topics. Date: Monday, 14 October 2024 at 02:43 PM

"I Vow Not To Sin Again" - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / "I Vow Not To Sin Again" (1822 Views)

Why Did God Create The Tree Of Good and evil If He Didn't Want Man To Sin / As A Xtian, Is It Not A Sin Again To Do This...? / How Nigerian Christians Make Their Pastors To Sin. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

"I Vow Not To Sin Again" by damilarelr(m): 8:28am On Sep 08, 2013
In a bid to live a life of holiness unto God, many Christians end up making vows to God NEVER to commit a particular sin anymore!

Have you ever made a 'vow' never to commit a sin again? Hmmm....

Now listen carefully: making VOWS to God never to commit a sin anymore is one of the EASIEST way of coming UNDER LAW!!!

The Bible says:

'Better is it that thou should NOT make a vow, than to make a vow and not pay'! (Eccl 5:5)

When you make a VOW to God, you have just told God not to judge you based on HIS own righteousness anymore! You have just told God to start judging you based on YOUR own righteousness!

The children of Israel would have enjoyed the Grace of God all through their sojourn from Egypt to the promise land, if only they never made a COMMITMENT to obey all of God's commandments!

Hmm...now you might be wondering what I mean. Now follow this 'chapter by chapter' exposition carefully.

In Exodus 14:10-22, After God brought them out of Egypt, they MURMURED against Moses that he had brought them to drown in the Red Sea. Now note that 'murmuring' is a sin. (Ps 78:17-19). But instead of God judging them, He told Moses to stretch his rod to the Sea and it parted into two! Hmm...

In Exodus 15:23-25, they MURMURED against Moses for bringing them into a place filled with bitter waters to drink. Yet God overlooked this sin and converted the water to sweet water! Hmm....

In Exodus 16:2-5, they MURMURED against Moses for bringing them into the wilderness with nothing to eat! Yet God overlooked this sin and 'rained' bread to get them well fed! Hmmm....

In Exodus 17:2-6, they MURMURED thoroughly against Moses for bringing them to a place with no water at all! Yet God overlooked this sin and brought out water out of the rock for them! Hmmm...

God was being Gracious to them! He wasn't judging them by their ability to keep any Law!

But something happened in Exodus 19. God told Moses to ASK the children of Israel if they were ready to OBEY ALL THE COMMANDMENTS He would give to them. Now listen carefully: BEFORE YOU SIGN AN AGREEMENT, READ THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS FIRST!

See their response:

'And all the people answered together, and said, ALL THAT THE LORD HATH SPOKEN WE WILL DO'! (Exodus 19:cool

Now it is very easy for us to think this statement is a proclamation of how much they love God! BUT it was a complete demonstration of their CONFIDENCE IN THEIR SELF EFFORT! According to the original hebrew intonation for this statement, they just made a 'proud' statement!

JFB Bible commentaries explains this verse thus: --- "Ah! How much confidence did their language betray! How little did they know what spirit they were of!"

Hmm...This was what led to the giving of the TEN COMMANDMENTS!

The next time they dared to complain again, it was not funny at all!

'And when the people COMPLAINED, it displeased the Lord...and his ANGER was kindled; and the FIRE of the Lord burnt among them, and consumed them that were in the uttermost part of the camp'! (Numbers 11:1)

Ah! Where did this anger come from! So there was FIRE all this while! But why did it not burn them when they were complaining before? Hmm.....it was their COMMITMENT to the Law that brought them under this condemnation!

Whenever you make a VOW to obey God, you have brought yourself on a platform of CURSES! (Gal 3:10). You have just established your OWN righteousness!

In Romans 10:2-3, the Bible referred to what the children of Israel did by agreeing to be under Law. The Bible stated that '....they have the ZEAL OF GOD, but not according to KNOWLEDGE'! (Romans 10:2)

They were actually zealous for God to have made that statement of agreement BUT it was not according to KNOWLEDGE!
It is true that when you make a VOW to God, you are actually expressing your zeal for God! But the Truth is that your zeal lacks KNOWLEDGE! Do you want to know the knowledge the israelites lacked? Then read the next verse!
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Nobody: 8:37am On Sep 08, 2013
Is lying not a sin? undecided
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by damilarelr(m): 8:57am On Sep 08, 2013
'For they being IGNORANT OF GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS, and going about to ESTABLISH THEIR OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS, have not submitted themselves to the righteousness of God! (Romans 10:3).

Wow! Did you read that! Whenever you make a VOW in order to live holy, it is a sign that you are IGNORANT OF GOD'S RIGHTEOUSNESS! You don't yet understand the Gospel of Grace! You still have not submitted yourself to the very reason Jesus came to die for you! You are ESTABLISHING YOUR OWN RIGHTEOUSNESS, thinking God needs your vow in order to bless you! Hmm...

Have you ever considered why peter denied Jesus 3times? Hmm...The reason Peter denied Jesus three times was not that he was afraid! No! It was because Jesus had earlier PRONOUNCED over him that he would deny him three times! Hmm.....the question is this: why would Jesus make such a declaration over Peter?

Listen: peter was trying to prove to Jesus that he would NEVER deny Jesus no matter the circumstance! See how he said it;

'Though ALL MEN shall be offended because of thee (Jesus), yet WILL I NEVER be offended!' (Matt 26:33)

Aba! Brother Peter!

Now to a religious mind, Peter had just proven how much he loved the Lord! But NO! Peter had just demonstrated how much he trusted in his SELF EFFORT! If that statement was okay, Jesus would have commended him! But see what Jesus said:

'Verily I say unto thee, that THIS NIGHT, before the cock crow, THOU SHALL DENY ME THRICE.' (Matt 26:34)

Oh! Instead of 'commending' Peter, Jesus was 'condemning' peter!

But why?

The answer is simple! It was because Peter was making a 'VOW'! What should have been peter's reaction to what Jesus just proclaimed over him? I would have thought he would go on his knees and asked why the Lord would say that to him. Now see peter's response to what Jesus just said!

'Peter said unto Him, though I should die with thee, yet will I NOT DENY THEE'! (Matt 26:35)

This guy was just too confident! He was 'arguing' with Jesus! See, making a vow is an expression of how over CONFIDENT you are in yourself!

Under Law: you make a vow to live holy.

Under Grace: you rest in Christ's love and remain holy!

The Bible says: 'for it is GOD that works in you both to WILL and to DO according to HIS good pleasure'! (Phil 2:13). It is not your VOW that works in you! It is GOD that works in you! Stop making VOWS to please God! Under Grace, God NEVER asked you to make a VOW!

Do you want to reign over that sin? Hmm...VOW is not the answer! The Bible gives us the right prescription to reigning over sin in life!

'...much more, they that receive the ABUNDANCE OF GRACE and the GIFT (not work) OF RIGHTEOUSNESS....shall REIGN IN LIFE, ....by one, JESUS CHRIST'! (Romans 5:17).

The problem with many believers is that they are not RECEIVING the abundance of Grace! Instead they are receiving the abundance of LAW! That is why they keep making VOWS.....thinking that is the way to please God! Listen: God is only pleased by ONE THING!......God is only pleased when all you do shows that you BELIEVE IN THE FINISHED WORK OF HIS BELOVED SON ON THE CROSS! (Rom 3:26). Any other thing apart from this is classified as 'Zeal without knowledge'!

It is not your vow that makes you righteous! If you are a believer, you are ALREADY righteous before God! Instead of making a vow, simply tell God to enGRACE you over that sin! Don't make VOWS! It does not make you special to God! Please!!!! DON'T MAKE VOWS! Instead, say by GOD'S GRACE, I will live holy!

Vows make the devil happy! Because he knows you will definitely fall! Because you can NEVER be perfect! You will end up condemning yourself! The devil knows that when you vow, you have given him the right to TEMPT you successfully in that area you just made a vow!

'....the STRENGTH OF SIN is the LAW'! (1cor 15:57)

Stop strengthening sin in your life by making vows! Live constantly under GRACE and sin shall NOT have dominion over you! (Romans 6:14).

You are the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus! You are His beloved already! This is the Truth that would make you free!!! (John 8:32)
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Nobody: 9:28am On Sep 08, 2013
You cannot vow not to sin again because you'd still sin. That is why we are human. We only strive towards perfection but no one is perfect. No one is immune to sin. Sometimes we sin without actually knowing it. We can only pray for God's grace to overcome temptations. Don't ever vow not to sin again.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by damilarelr(m): 10:53am On Sep 08, 2013
Baybe: You cannot vow not to sin again because you'd still sin. That is why we are human. We only strive towards perfection but no one is perfect. No one is immune to sin. Sometimes we sin without actually knowing it. We can only pray for God's grace to overcome temptations. Don't ever vow not to sin again.

On point.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by alexleo(m): 10:56am On Sep 08, 2013
@OP.
Beautiful teaching. God bless you dear.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 11:24am On Sep 08, 2013
spongeback: Is lying not a sin? undecided

ALL UNrighteousness is sin but . . . lipsrsealed
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
@ OP, great job well done by Grace!
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 4:49pm On Sep 08, 2013
The OP is a big big lie !!! & I wonder why christians are supporting it.Does it mean Hannah was wrong to vow before she begat samuel?1sam.1:11 & Paul was wrong to vow acts 18:18.Many righteous people vowed in the bible.God is the one that required Abraham & Israel(on Sinai) to enter into covenant(vow)with Him to obey Him so He bless them.So vowing is not wrong.

1 Like

Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 4:51pm On Sep 08, 2013
That means marriage vow is wrong because its the same thing as a vow not to sin.The OP is very very wrong.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Nobody: 5:06pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:
The OP is a big big lie !!! & I wonder why christians are supporting it.Does it mean Hannah was wrong to vow before she begat samuel?1sam.1:11 & Paul was wrong to vow acts 18:18.Many righteous people vowed in the bible.God is the one that required Abraham & Israel(on Sinai) to enter into covenant(vow)with Him to obey Him so He bless them.So vowing is not wrong.
[color=770077]Geez! shockedshocked Did you read the OP's post at all. I don't know whether to laugh abi to be shocked grin. The OP said don't vow not to sin again. What is so hard to comprehend in that. Nawa oh[/color]
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 5:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
Baybe:
[color=770077]Geez! shockedshocked Did you read the OP's post at all. I don't know whether to laugh abi to be shocked grin. The OP said don't vow not to sin again. What is so hard to comprehend in that. Nawa oh[/color]
do-not-sin:
That means marriage vow is wrong because its the same thing as A VOW NOT TO SIN AGAIN.The OP is very very wrong.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 5:30pm On Sep 08, 2013
Marriage vow is comparable to a vow not to sin again... Edited!!
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Adaeze003(f): 6:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
Double post smiley
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Adaeze003(f): 6:58pm On Sep 08, 2013
So my dear brother, when I say 'by God's grace I'll live holy'(to the best of my knowledge, this is a vow) what next? I don't understand this! So holiness requires NO WORK from you?

I am not saying we should all vow to be sinless as sometimes we don't even know when we sin. But if I know of a particular sin I want to stop coz it weighs on me and decide to promise God not to do it again and by HIS grace I actually stoP how is that wrong? How is that against Jesus' death on the cross?

Now, I agree that we shouldn't make promises we can't keep(ecl 5:5) but that does not mean vows are wrong but rather vowing without fulfillment is.
Again, Peter denied Jesus because he was afraid. Don't get it twisted. If he wasn't he would have been in the middle of it all and not follow the crowd from affar. So don't be twisting scripture to support your view.

About the 'we are not under law' stressed by St. Paul and most of you, remember that he preched/wrote letters to gentiles so, to the best of my knowledge he preached against jewish laws. 'The law'(check KJV bibles) was always used with 'the' indicating a specific law. If we were truly 'lawless' Jesus wouldn't have asked us to keep His commandments if we love Him. What is Jesus' commandment? Love God and love your neigbour. Peace!
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by alexleo(m): 7:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:

You don't understand the OP. Do you? The issue here is - are you saved because of your vow? Answer is NO. Since we are saved by grace, then we shouldn't see vow as a must. Feel free to vow but bear it in mind that its not a criteria for your salvation. Did the thief at the cross vow to be saved? Didthe woman who was caught in adultery vow to be saved? Pls read the OP well with an unbiased mind. Thanks.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 7:26pm On Sep 08, 2013
alexleo:

You don't understand the OP. Do you? The issue here is - are you saved because of your vow? Answer is NO. Since we are saved by grace, then we shouldn't see vow as a must. Feel free to vow but bear it in mind that its not a criteria for your salvation. Did the thief at the cross vow to be saved? The the woman who was caught in adultery vow to be saved? Pls read the OP well with an unbiased mind. Thanks.
What you explained is totally different from what the OP wrote there.Go back & read all of it again including the vow with Israel on sinai & you know the OP is terrible in error.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by alexleo(m): 7:36pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:
Marriage vow is comparable to a vow not to sin again... Edited!!

Whether you vow in marriage or not, the bible condemns infidelity. Its not the vow that determines your faithfulness or unfaithfulness in marriage, the scripture has alreaady commanded us to love our wives and vice versa, it condemns adultery. I ve not seen where the scripture said we must exchange vows during marriage ceremony so don't treat it as if it is a command from God(but if its in the scriptures pls show me). Its just the church and the government that developed all those ones in order to satisfy the legal requirements backing the marriage according to the laws of the land( am not condemning it anyway). Assuming the exchange of vows doesn't take place during the wedding service, you still have no right to indulge in infidelity. If you do, its a sin. Have an open mind towards this issue pls. Thanks.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Adaeze003(f): 7:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
Again, by telling everyone not to vow, are you not placing us under law? Lmao grin
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 7:53pm On Sep 08, 2013
alexleo:

Whether you vow in marriage or not, the bible condemns infidelity. Its not the vow that determines your faithfulness or unfaithfulness in marriage, the scripture has alreaady commanded us to love our wives and vice versa, it condemns adultery. I ve not seen where the scripture said we must exchange vows during marriage ceremony so don't treat it as if it is a command from God(but if its in the scriptures pls show me). Its just the church and the government that developed all those ones in order to satisfy the legal requirements backing the marriage according to the laws of the land( am not condemning it anyway). Assuming the exchange of vows doesn't take place during the wedding service, you still have no right to indulge in infidelity. If you do, its a sin. Have an open mind towards this issue pls. Thanks.
Ok. I agree on this one but read the OP again & you see you missed his erronuos points in ur previous replies.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by alexleo(m): 7:59pm On Sep 08, 2013
Adaeze003: So my dear brother, when I say 'by God's grace I'll live holy'(to the best of my knowledge, this is a vow) what next? I don't understand this! So holiness requires NO WORK from you?

Even the work is still by God's grace. That an Ex-robber who has been saved from sin will see large sum of money and walk away without stealing it is because of the saving grace of God in his life. That an ex-prostitute who has been saved from sin will reject a job offer or money that has sex as a condition attached to receiving it is because of the saving grace of God in the person's life.

Adaeze003:
Again, Peter denied Jesus because he was afraid. Don't get it twisted. If he wasn't he would have been in the middle of it all and not follow the crowd from affar. So don't be twisting scripture to support your view.
!

So why didn't the vow peter made save him from the fear? If our salvation or our strength lies on vow, the vow should have strengthened peter against the fear that made him deny Jesus. Simple truth there is that vows cannot save you. Its only the grace of God that can.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 8:00pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:

Ok. I agree on this one but read the OP again & you see you missed his erronuos points in ur previous replies.

Why do you have to open new I.d. before you can challenge a teaching?
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 8:09pm On Sep 08, 2013
alexleo:

Even the work is still by God's grace. That an Ex-robber who has been saved from sin will see large sum of money and walk away without stealing it is because of the saving grace of God in his life. That an ex-prostitute who has been saved from sin will reject a job offer or money that has sex as a condition attached to receiving it is because of the saving grace of God in the person's life.

So why didn't the vow peter made save him from the fear? If our salvation or our strength lies on vow, the vow should have strengthened peter against the fear that made him deny Jesus. Simple truth there is that vows cannot save you. Its only the grace of God that can.
Grace does not nullify the need to vow.If you vow,you still need grace to fulfil it.Some can hardly accomplish some things except they vow to do it.Vow creates sharp focus & makes one resolute to accomplish something he could hardly accomplish otherwise.So vow has its place & cannot be set aside.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 8:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

Why do you have to open new I.d. before you can challenge a teaching?
How does that bug you.Is that the topic currently being discussed?I opened my I.D same way you opened yours.Is it now sin to open I.D?
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by alexleo(m): 8:21pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:

Grace does not nullify the need to vow.If you vow,you still need grace to fulfil it.Some can hardly accomplish some things except they vow to do it.Vow creates sharp focus & makes one resolute to accomplish something he could hardly accomplish otherwise.So vow has its place & cannot be set aside.

If it works for you that's ok. But for me, I don't need any vow. All I need is grace, grace and grace to live each day for Jesus and to have total victory over the world.

1 Like

Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 8:32pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:

How does that bug you.Is that the topic currently being discussed?I opened my I.D same way you opened yours.Is it now sin to open I.D?

That's not what I'm saying. I just flagged your I.d. in my Microsoft track system. Why do you have to open a new I.d when you already have one just because you don't agree with the OP and you needed to challenge the teaching. You could do that with your same I.d, that's my point.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by donotsin: 9:13pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

That's not what I'm saying. I just flagged your I.d. in my Microsoft track system. Why do you have to open a new I.d when you already have one just because you don't agree with the OP and you needed to challenge the teaching. You could do that with your same I.d, that's my point.
Tell me why you had to make all the choices you make everyday then I might tell you all of mine.Stop derailing & stick to the topic.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
do-not-sin:
Tell me why you had to make all the choices you make everyday then I might tell you all of mine.Stop derailing & stick to the topic.

SMH. I'm beginning to know Christians more and more.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Candour(m): 9:25pm On Sep 08, 2013
Goshen360:

Goshen, I don dey fear you o shocked shocked grin u be CIA ne? Abi na Edward Snowden u be?

Take your time o......why you dey tail the guy na?
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Adaeze003(f): 9:27pm On Sep 08, 2013
alexleo:

Every time you'll bring up the thief on the cross and the prostitute. That's fine but you forget what Jesus said to the adultrous woman(hope she's who you refer to) which was 'go and sin no more' or does that mean nothing? Because you 'grace preachers' just don't it. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we,that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Rom 6:1-2). You pick pieces from a whole book and pin your claims on them.

About the peter issue, I was only trying to point out an error. He made a promise and he failed, does it mean anyone who makes a promise would? Hehe

I'm happy that you realise that our works are also by grace but don't you also know that grace is required to keep a vow? If we rely on our human strenght alone it is next to impossible as temptation will surely come. Gace does not nullify vow my friend. Sure, Jesus has already saved us and no vow can save us again but again I ask, if I promise God something and by His grace I'm able to fulfill it how does it go against Christ's death on the cross?

I believe in grace, that I'm alive is by His grace but the way it is preached on nl baffles me!
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by Goshen360(m): 10:03pm On Sep 08, 2013
Candour:

Goshen, I don dey fear you o shocked shocked grin u be CIA ne? Abi na Edward Snowden u be?

Take your time o......why you dey tail the guy na?

My brother, one thing led to my quest and I found an answer to some mysteries of life. If I tell you what's going on behind the scene on this forum, you will open your mouth so tay, butterflies go dey come closer.

Anyways, it's just a lesson of life. That's why I stopped entering every thread and I sometimes limited myself to certain activities.
Re: "I Vow Not To Sin Again" by damilarelr(m): 10:37pm On Sep 08, 2013
Adaeze003:

Every time you'll bring up the thief on the cross and the prostitute. That's fine but you forget what Jesus said to the adultrous woman(hope she's who you refer to) which was 'go and sin no more' or does that mean nothing? Because you 'grace preachers' just don't it. What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? God forbid. How shall we,that are dead to sin, live any longer therein? (Rom 6:1-2). You pick pieces from a whole book and pin your claims on them.

About the peter issue, I was only trying to point out an error. He made a promise and he failed, does it mean anyone who makes a promise would? Hehe

I'm happy that you realise that our works are also by grace but don't you also know that grace is required to keep a vow? If we rely on our human strenght alone it is next to impossible as temptation will surely come. Gace does not nullify vow my friend. Sure, Jesus has already saved us and no vow can save us again but again I ask, if I promise God something and by His grace I'm able to fulfill it how does it go against Christ's death on the cross?

I believe in grace, that I'm alive is by His grace but the way it is preached on nl baffles me!

My brother, your vow doesn't place you in a better position to serve God more than the person who did not vow. When you purpose in your heart that you'll do something for Him and then praying for the grace to do you mix law with grace. The truth is that, when you vow you gave the devil a kind of alert to come and monitor your life, how? throughyou have just reactivated the law thru your vow. The devil will keep bringing to your notice what you vowed not to do again until you see yourself doing it again. Whereas, by not vowing at all and relying on God's grace you will shut out the devil permanently from your decision-making process and you will see yourself obeying God out of love for Him and willingly,

If commandments are to be strictly kept, the youngman that kept ALL the commandments from his youth could've won Christ's approval of Job welldone - instead Jesus told him one thing is still needful. One thing will always be needful in the life of any commandment-keeper and that is Grace of God., by which we were saved..
Shalom

(1) (2) (Reply)

Scientific Accuracy Of The Bible / Endtime! This Man Is Doing What Only Jesus Could Do, Magic Or Real Demons! / Why Are There Special Seats Reserved For VIP Inside The Church?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 108
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.