Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,179,502 members, 7,908,404 topics. Date: Friday, 02 August 2024 at 04:48 AM

Why Do You Believe In God? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do You Believe In God? (13198 Views)

Ese Walter Denounces Jesus, Says She No Longer Believes In God / Pope Francis To Atheists: You Dont Have To Believe In God To Go To Heaven / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 6:37pm On Sep 13, 2013
Yahweh,Obatala,shongo,oya,asu ,aye lala, yemoja which one?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 6:40pm On Sep 13, 2013
ezeuba:
Spoken like from The Architect from The Matrix Revolutions. Seriously though, thinking about this makes one go on and on in an infinite loop. However, the question still begs an answer.

Apropos, his style is worthy of emulation IMO. Calm and dispassioned thinking. Cold logic that will accomodate illogic if it works within a measure of control: that said, I remain confident God is the answer, and hopefully, for the final time, I state atheism is looking good to me now, for one, it's very parsimonious.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by gradeA(m): 6:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Chibuebem: Well loretta, I never found God. God found me. I never looked for truth. Truth caught up with me. Reality caught up with me. I've been in it ever since. I was just confused. I might have become an atheist meself. You see, i was caught up in the dead end of sin. I was raised to believe that there was a God. But I was just a religious and natural person. I never could meet the requirements of this God. I always ended up doing a bit of wrong. I was human you see. But i knew the bible God never took being human as an excuse. But the more i tried, the deeper i fell.
Then I went to a meeting, and God met me you see. Yeah. I met God in that meeting. I felt his power. I still feel it. Even as i type this message. God met me. Reality enveloped me. And I got to know God. I still grow in knowledge of him every day. I trusted in his power, in his love, and I was saved from sin. I'm free now you see. Jesus' salvation is available to all who believe. I realized that I by meself could never fulfil the requirements of the law. And i trusted in his power and life. I'm saved. I know God. My life bears witness. I have seen this happen in many lives. In my case, its the real story of a young boy saved from religion and sin, from imperfection. Others have been saved from the deep throes of deception and occultism and atheism. Its the same. Jesus saves. I continued and still continue in my life journey with God. I know reality.
Jesus is the way.
He is the message.
Trust in him and find real life. Eternal life.

my bro may God bless you a million times for this gospel truth.

you see, no one would ever believe fully in the existence of our Lord Jesus christ except with the help of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit makes Jesus christ so real cos His ministry is actually to bear witness of christ to our soul.

Chibuebem my testimony is just identical and similar to yours. I have always had the consciousness that there was a God, simply because I was born into a strong christian family, but then that personal relationship was missing. I simply couldn't feel God's presence. Infact, i did worse things than those who outrightly didnt believe in any God. I remember this occassion back den in d university that i was smoking weed, but I kept telling my friends that God would arrest my soul and save me. I never knew how this would happen, cos i had tried everything possible to be closer to him, but the more i tried, the farther apart i drifted. The life of Holiness just seemed impossible.

But just like your experience, it was in a particular meeting that God decided to hv mercy on me. He stretched forth His hands and saved me. He found me. Those sins that seemed so impossible for me to stop, just left me by the power of the Holy Spirit.

My advice is rather than try to analyse the rationality of God's existence with our human wisdom, we should just pray that God reveals himself to us. Trust me He would. An encounter is all we just need to change our thinking pattern.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by sessydoo(m): 6:42pm On Sep 13, 2013
Looking around us, definitely there is a supernatural being (called God) that is responsible for all these great creatures we see evrywhere we go. The world order is too perfect to exist without some sort of supernatural backing from a supreme being. Sun rises, sun sets, the mystery of night and day, then life and death. Infact the "life" in every living creature remains a mystery, that even scientists have no answer to in all their achievements to date. They still CANNOT make alive or create a living thing. Thats enough proof to believe there is an inivisible "being" somewhere responsible for all these miracles; religion calls him God and we still cannot fully understand how mighty he is, not even in our reckless imagination. My religion has taught me how to approach him and pray to him through his son......well the question is what do i stand to lose if i have faith in this God? absolutely nothing. 2nd question is if i dont believe in him and thereafter i discover God really exists, then how will I face him on the judgement day? I think my first option is safer for me...winks lol

Shallom!

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Moralistli(m): 6:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
*Kails*:
i just do.
and i am proud.
i will keep my personal testimonies to myself. tongue

You are bound to receive more GRACE when you start sharing such...
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by badmeat(m): 6:44pm On Sep 13, 2013
I believe God lives!I know he created this earth and other worlds!worlds without number!Every thing here on earth and the expanse of the universe denotes there is a GOD!on the age of the earth!the earth did not begin when GOD put live on it!if u read the account of creation in Genesis the existed with water all over!before God and other Heavenly beings organised life and conditions to sustain life on earth!who know one day GOD may organise life on mars or any other trillion planets he has created!yes the universe is billions yrs old!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 6:45pm On Sep 13, 2013
Hemical: I don't know why you find it easy to believe God came out of nowhere (God has no designer) and yet you can't believe man could have also come without needing a designer. Why not just think of man's beginning as a mystery the same way God's beginning is a mystery. Why couldn't it have started with man? God is intelligent. How could something intelligent (which you call God) have come from nothing intelligent in †ђξ first place. Yet, you all come with an argument that since man is intelligent, he needs an intelligent designer. Why can't man also be the beginning of intelligence. Why do you have to look for a God?

How can god come out of nowhere? You mean Yahweh the jealous entity,who landed on mount Sinai with a loud helicopter_like noise? Or the one that impregnated a Virgin came out of nowhere? If indeed you are intelligent and read the bible well you will know yahweh was a physical entity.same applies to other gods in the bible.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 6:47pm On Sep 13, 2013
The foremost intelligent response to the Ops question is: What/who is God? It is necessarily prudent to be mindful of the multitudinous conception of the subject matter like someone put below.
Judas2013: Yahweh,Obatala,shongo,oya,asu ,aye lala, yemoja which one?

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by badmeat(m): 6:49pm On Sep 13, 2013
The fool will say in his HEART that there is no GOD
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Sciencs(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
I believe in God because His words(Promises) always come to pass. Anytime I'm in great pain, be it spiritually, financially or physically, d mere thought n believe in this "particular" words.."Tears may endure all night, but JOY cometh in the morning", always put a precious smile on my face. The sort of smile no MAN/WOMAN on earth can EVER put on my face....and indeed, dis JOY always come @ d "appointed" Time. No wonder he said "The words I speak to you are "Spirit" and they giveth "Life". It is well.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 6:51pm On Sep 13, 2013
bad meat: The fool will say in his HEART that there is no GOD
grin cheesy grin[b][/b]

3 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by zynzyn(m): 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
1. So much order in the mighty universe.

2. The Bible explains human beings and the world too well!!

3. The way untrained animals care for their young.

4. The Statement I AM THAT I AM! lipsrsealed lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2013
I see.

Hemical: I don't know why you find it easy to believe God came out of nowhere (God has no designer)

Infinite regression is a logical absurdity and so we must recourse to a cause in a chain of causes which is non-contingent, or as you IMPLY, uncaused.

Hemical: and yet you can't believe man could have also come without needing a designer.

I can assume that state of mind in due time. But man isn't infinite, he is subject to forces outside his control and his so begs the question. Of course, the 'designer' for some is evolution, a stance I think illogical, though it is held to be otherwise.

Hemical: Why not just think of man's beginning as a mystery the same way God's beginning is a mystery.

The arrogance of ignorance, moreso when used as a pretext to bar certain answers, whilst mocking the so-called argument from ignorance.

Hemical: Why couldn't it have started with man?

It never did, moreso since man found earth subsisted before him.

Hemical: God is intelligent.

Granted.

Hemical: How could something intelligent (which you call God) have come from nothing intelligent in †ђξ first place.

There was never nothing in the truest sense of the word. Nothing being something evident only to a sufficiently intelligent conscious mind. This nothing in which we exist and caused extancy is eternal and I know to be God.

Hemical: Yet, you all come with an argument that since man is intelligent, he needs an intelligent designer.

It's only fitting.

Hemical: Why can't man also be the beginning of intelligence.

No problem, the blind watchmaker is a well-known, scientifically-validated substitute.

Hemical: Why do you have to look for a God?

Given my existence.

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 6:55pm On Sep 13, 2013
Kay 17: 1. An intelligent computer can not create itself nor its intelligence.

2. An intelligent man can't create iself

Thus intelligent beings are incapable of self creation.
A counter-querry could be WHY? I.e. why can't an intelligent computer create itself?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 6:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
gradeA:

my bro may God bless you a million times for this gospel truth.

you see, no one would ever believe fully in the existence of our Lord Jesus christ except with the help of the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit makes Jesus christ so real cos His ministry is actually to bear witness of christ to our soul.

Chibuebem my testimony is just identical and similar to yours. I have always had the consciousness that there was a God, simply because I was born into a strong christian family, but then that personal relationship was missing. I simply couldn't feel God's presence. Infact, i did worse things than those who outrightly didnt believe in any God. I remember this occassion back den in d university that i was smoking weed, but I kept telling my friends that God would arrest my soul and save me. I never knew how this would happen, cos i had tried everything possible to be closer to him, but the more i tried, the farther apart i drifted. The life of Holiness just seemed impossible.

But just like your experience, it was in a particular meeting that God decided to hv mercy on me. He stretched forth His hands and saved me. He found me. Those sins that seemed so impossible for me to stop, just left me by the power of the Holy Spirit.

My advice is rather than try to analyse the rationality of God's existence with our human wisdom, we should just pray that God reveals himself to us. Trust me He would. An encounter is all we just need to change our thinking pattern.

Thinking like this are distasteful and are part why Christianity is more likely untenable for me. Ummm, what about the many people over time who believed in God without recourse to a Holy Spirit. Truth be told, belief in God IS NOT the sole excluse of a line of thinking, deism inclusive.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Moralistli(m): 6:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
Emusan: @OP I'm so impress on these your questions, how I wish all christians can search their mind deep down and ask themself these questions.

I was born into a christian home but there was a time I almost fall away from grace because of some questions on reality in nature our finite mind beg answers to and as someone who loves science, but instead of allowing myself to be deluded on what I believe. I pray to God to manifest Himself to me which He did.

I really thank God because if not maybe I would've become an atheist.

So I believe in God because God manifest Himself to me.

My question is since you join christian what step(s) are you taking to see the manifestation of God? To me science has confirmed God in many ways.

Shalom!

Nice Question--Ans: Growing my faith by acting on the word- (the word of God), by being conscious of doing the right thing in accordance with his will as long as i live.
I like spirituality by self as the spirit directs, i have done series of this and its been yielding only positive and good results in the long run...
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judee99(m): 6:58pm On Sep 13, 2013
BECAUSE I HAVE TO BELIEVE IN SOMETHING GREATER THAN MYSELF
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 6:59pm On Sep 13, 2013
Lord Babs: A counter-querry could be WHY? I.e. why can't an intelligent computer create itself?

Given laws of Nature which bar such, such laws of Nature consciously deigned by doG grin Seltzer thingz.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Eseries(m): 7:02pm On Sep 13, 2013
When I was about 7 or 8 years of age. I dreamt of where I was laying on a bed and my mom feeding me. I woke up and told no one as it is one of those dreams, I do dream almost everyday even now. The next day we were in a religious gathering, the Prophet told my mom to pray against evil spirit that takes her appearance to feed me in dreams.
Till date mom only knew about the prophet's massage, the experience I kept personal.
To the Logical/Scientific/Elite people here......how did that prophet know? Tell me how one will know about someone's else dream.? Please tell me the science behind it?
THE SUPERNATURAL EXIST.....! Full stop!

1 Like

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by dareabiola98(m): 7:03pm On Sep 13, 2013
You can't speak for God,God speaks to the world thru his scriptures...ur a christian,I guess u have the bible(I hope u've read and understood every part of it....I want you to get an english translation of the Holy qur'an,don't be bias about it,normally u'd read any story book u find around...Just read it...I have read more than many part of the bible in my quest in the search for God..even in the hindu scriptures...but I want u to read the qur'an particularly....in there u'll see the establishment of the Majesty of God!!!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by IyfeNamikaze(m): 7:05pm On Sep 13, 2013
i believe in GOD cuz i have no reason not to.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 7:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
Eseries:
THE SUPERNATURAL EXIST.....! Full stop!
And how would you define "supernatural"?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Nobody: 7:08pm On Sep 13, 2013
Kay 17: 1. An intelligent computer can not create itself nor its intelligence.

2. An intelligent man can't create iself

Thus intelligent beings are incapable of self creation.
Invalid and unsound argument.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 7:10pm On Sep 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Given laws of Nature which bar such, such laws of Nature consciously deigned by doG grin Seltzer thingz.
How?
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 7:11pm On Sep 13, 2013
fresh_dude: Invalid and unsound argument.
Prove it!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by gradeA(m): 7:14pm On Sep 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

Thinking like this are distasteful and are part why Christianity is more likely untenable for me. Ummm, what about the many people over time who believed in God without recourse to a Holy Spirit. Truth be told, belief in God IS NOT the sole excluse of a line of thinking, deism inclusive.

ermmm..... are you sure we are talking about the same God here? cos am talking about Jehovah, the God who operates in a divine trinity (God the Father, Son and Holy Spirit), the God in which Jesus christ is the only way to.

So perhaps, you are talkn about another God, which excludes the Holy Spirit, this deity am not aware of, and as such in no position to argue with u about.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by UyiIredia(m): 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
Lord Babs: How?

For that, I must recourse to our argument wherein I asserted God to be the space we (and all material things) are in, adding a consciousness to it, which, naturally, you rejected: explaining it again might prove futile.
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by Judas2013: 7:16pm On Sep 13, 2013
bad meat: The fool will say in his HEART that there is no GOD

The wise shouts it out...there is no god!

4 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by LordBabs(m): 7:19pm On Sep 13, 2013
Uyi Iredia:

For that, I must recourse to our argument wherein I asserted God to be the space we (and all material things) are in, adding a consciousness to it, which, naturally, you rejected:
BASED ON INVALIDITY!
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by fuckluv(f): 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
Cos HE never failed me nor give me cause to doubt HIM smiley
Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by qhiwegh(m): 7:22pm On Sep 13, 2013
How can one not believe in God? How can you believe that the universe just exploded from a dot? How can you believe that your ancestors were monkeys?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do You Believe In God? by novicali: 7:28pm On Sep 13, 2013
His argument is really valid. Things don't just fall into places the way they are without one organizing them. The Sun and the Moon cannot play the role they are playing without being regulated and put in place by someone. The seasons shouldn't be there at all if one has not organized them. The mountains and the hills, the oceans and the rivers cannot come into being without the rightful thought of someone who made them possible. Evidence has shown that nothing can be without a cause... and that cause is the originator.... God is the origin all the visible and invisible features on this planet and beyond. However, whether we agree that God exist or not, our acceptance or denial does not in any way make any difference in His existence. Therefore, the reality of His existence does not depend on our approval period!
fresh_dude: Invalid and unsound argument.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Do You Believe In Generational Curses. / As A Believer Is It Good To Pray For Your Enemy To Die? / The Religious Symbolism Of The Twelve Days Of Christmas

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.