Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,188,068 members, 7,933,588 topics. Date: Wednesday, 28 August 2024 at 09:42 AM

Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? - Food (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? (30570 Views)

How Can I Cook Nigerian Stew Without Frying It / Christmas Stew Got Burnt Because I Was Carried Away By A Movie"caroline Shoes" / Why Do Nigerians Prefer To Eat Meat At The End Of Their Meal? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by dancocity(m): 7:42am On Sep 11, 2013
wich stew wan stay for lik 1 to 2hrs b4 its ready,r u kukin for d whole community? d fin is dat our ladies spend so much tym in d kitchen nd wen some of dem serve wat d spent tym doing it turns trash
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by francisbiz: 7:53am On Sep 11, 2013
Whether we spend so much time or not to cook as long AS WE DON'T SUFFER CANCER LIKE THOSE WHO SPEND 3 MINUTES TO COOK.
The Chinese eat with chopsticks and they are very proud to do it even in five star hotels,
if you don't like our stew you CAN EAT YOUR RICE WITH YOUR RAW TOMATOES, RAW PEPPER, RAW MEAT, RAW FISH and RAW VEGETABLE.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by buchai: 8:05am On Sep 11, 2013
If d stew is stewed it wont be enough for economic wise dat is Africans for u.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Ibomo(m): 8:07am On Sep 11, 2013
@OP, next time cook your stew this way:

Steam your meat with pepper, maggi, onions, curry and thyme if you like. Rosemary if you like also. Don't forget to add salt o. When your meat is well cooked, add groundnut oil to it. Pour your grounded tomato into the pot(Don't boil the tomato until the water is dried. Just use it like that so u don't need to add water to the stew again). Stir thoroughly and allow to cook. U could also mix the fresh tomato with tin tomato for ur taste. Taste it, add salt, maggi and/or pepper to ur taste.

Bring down ur pot when its done and enjoy ur stew.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by crixusmillz(m): 8:12am On Sep 11, 2013
[color=#000099][/color][i][/i]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:13am On Sep 11, 2013
Watin concern me?Since d day one iya alata 4 lagos tell me how to cook stew,i no dey waste tym again.Na sharp sharp tinz.Ma own stew b say d pepper dey plenty pas tomatoes,so as u dey eat d rice and stew at d same tym water dey comot 4rm ur eyes,nose and ear...!Ma granny also teach me how to cook kpomo stew,wit alot of pepper so dat when u eat u go know say na E.T.T. I HATE fish stew.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by dapizy02(m): 8:13am On Sep 11, 2013
I no get tym 2 dey check time......na jus 10mins d stew is done.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Fredgoodlife(m): 8:21am On Sep 11, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
#team oil rice# grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:29am On Sep 11, 2013
kpolli: I now see why guys claim that girls of today can't cook.... How wud u boil stew for 1-2hrs O ga ooo
i tire o,which kind stewpid stew b dat.Cook stew for 2 hrs?Na holy communion?

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 8:34am On Sep 11, 2013
ogugua88: It has nothing to do with Nigerians taking long and everything to do with tomatoes taking long to cook through. I use tomatoes and red peppers for my stew. No canned anything. So, a long cooking time is inevitable, especially if I'm using a large pot.

If anyone wants quick stew, make them buy ready made stew in a jar. Better yet, blend tomatoes pour am on top rice. If I give you raw tomato sauce, you go chop? undecided

Our food takes long. That's why e sweet die. If I want nutrition, I know where to find it. When I'm making Nigerian food, I make it the way I was taught. No time.
omo rere bi iyan
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by COvo(m): 8:37am On Sep 11, 2013
Ok then...When u wanna prepare yours just mix the grounded tomato with groundnut oil. As for me,I like it the way it's prepared.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by buskie13(m): 8:53am On Sep 11, 2013
What more can i say if not eating a non-nutritious stew
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by loucrux(m): 8:59am On Sep 11, 2013
butterflyy: I really wonder also. Av onced cooked my tomato paste like that with oil on it bt not to fry, and everybody was like, why didnt i let d tomatoes dry. Even though i like that rawness abt it. No one else do, so I now fry and fryyy. Which is so wrong, nutrition wise

U ave to cook the pepper so it it brings out the real taste in it,plus if u don't cook ur pepper u stew will never get properly cooked and that an hurt your stomach.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Xcozee(m): 9:03am On Sep 11, 2013
An0nimus: Mine takes 15 minutes.
same...and i'v never boiled my tomatoes, but still taste great...hmmm! can't say no. grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Brennie001: 9:12am On Sep 11, 2013
[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Brennie001: 9:14am On Sep 11, 2013
Nice one
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by obi123: 9:19am On Sep 11, 2013
soul_glo: Use a wider pot to steam the tomatoes. It should not take more than 45 minutes to dry. I agree that the nutrients are non existent by the time you are done but you can always throw kale in at the last minute. I love my kale almost raw and they pack more nutrients than any raw tomato can. So cook your stew the Nigerian way but add vegetables and don't cook it for long after you add veggies.

i only use kale in my smoothies , this kale in stew is new to me , quick question soul _glo, when you add the kale to your stew at the last minute that makes it vegetable stew abi? please how long after you add the kale do you turn off the burner?
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nobody: 9:34am On Sep 11, 2013
When I'm looking for the nutrients in tomatoes, I eat it raw. Jes wash and eat. But for cooking, stew or whatever, I must take my time for it to be mouth watering and tasty. Or I could dice veeeery fresh tomatoes(not the once that are already soft or getting spoilt o) instead of blending it. Then I fry it with all them orishirishies for jes 10mins. I love it this way too. Sey na still stew that one be? cheesy
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by heo88(m): 9:41am On Sep 11, 2013
Nokio1: we cook it like that becos thats how Flora Lugard thought us! Off i go b4 am tempted to write ETT!

Oga I think you mean Fiona Shaw (wife of Lord Lugard) cool grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Nizzydee(m): 9:46am On Sep 11, 2013
tjskii: Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Orikinla(m): 10:07am On Sep 11, 2013
Only those who don't know how to cook stew.
And they are not few.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by samuelezekiel(m): 10:18am On Sep 11, 2013
deejay_harry1: girls talk... ok sha... me na anythin man see , na im he go chop...
guy i gbadu your style jare....me na make i don chop oooo
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by oselenkejoor: 10:20am On Sep 11, 2013
cool grin[quote author=tjskii]Pls if therz a better way to cook stew,do share,was so frustrated lastwk,I was superhungry and decided to cook stew,d stupid water took so much time in draining from d pepper,by den I was seeing double from hunger undecided[/
Check out dis site www.allnigerianrecipes.com save yourself the trouble, its really no sin if you imbibe my habit of "googling" to make meals. grin welcome to d club dear! cool
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ellab(f): 10:34am On Sep 11, 2013
Well..Nigerians actually like their food Done(I do).
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ALISMILE(m): 10:39am On Sep 11, 2013
Women dont really understand the intricacies of cookin,as such they destroy vital nutrients contained in food. Wen u try to tell them they ll say u nag too much.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by Yahoo1(m): 10:44am On Sep 11, 2013
i didnt kn there is a type of stew called! SUNDAY STEW"

anyway,@Op ,depends on how you want to cook it.
4 me,no matter how long or how short i cook it,i end up going to the toilet 7tyms a day after eating it. :-(

i guess palm kernel stew na d koko,mtscheww,stew na wash.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by ukchy: 10:46am On Sep 11, 2013

There is a better way, i use to cook my own like that.Am always scared of cooking stew because a times i make mistake and the stew will burn when frying and my hubby will not eat and am not happy about it.Until my sweet MIL teach me how to cook stew with out frying the tomatoes,since then meeeeeeen,i enjoy cooking stew.

1,Grind your tomatoes with your normal onions tatashi and paper,if you like put ginger(NB don,t add too much water when grinding

2,Cook the tomatoes to dry the water,when the first water dry,add another water till is almost dry,

3,Boil your meat /Chiken with all the seasoning you want to use, add salt ooo every thing you want to use to spie the stew,put it in the
meat/chicken when boiling,

4,When you cook the meat/chicken for like 20 mins,add your G.oil in the meat / chicken and allow to cook for like 10/15 mins.

5,Pour everything inside the tomatoes you cooked and allow to cook for like 40-50 mins

Your sweet yummy yummy stew wink is ready.Very delicious,no stress of wasting your life frying tomatoes.(N.B) Add vegitable if u want not Ugu oo but (Akwukwo nri) as Igbo's call it.but that will be when the stew is done,you just add and stir.

A trial will convince you
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by UjSizzle(f): 11:34am On Sep 11, 2013
It's the tomatoes fault not ours
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by howfarwhatagwan: 11:34am On Sep 11, 2013
anonimi:

Why don't you give us the advantage of over-boiled, over-fried VEGETABLES such as tomatoes, onion, pepper etc.
We dey wait the outcome of the

- "proximate analysis" accompanied by
- the "very complex matrix" taking into consideration
- the "bioavailability" and "bio-accessibility"

Hope we will not have to wait too long for you to back up these your big big vocabulary trying to justify OVERCOOKING vegetables.

Most Nigerians have never understood food science and I'm not surprised but let me explain something to you foods are majorly made up of Water, carbohydrates, proteins and lipids. Now these nutrients are building blocks of molecules- example carbohydrate- complex starch molecules or simple sugars, Proteins- amino acids, lipids-fatty acids usually the estimated quantity of these nutrients available to us is before the food is eaten, there is no information about the quantity that is available for physiological function after absorption in the gastrointestinal tract i.e after eating (concept of bioavailability) nor the quantity available for absorption in the gastrointestinal tract (concept of bio-accessibility). Now food scientists are discovering more and more that the more the somewhat tight matrix of foods (the complex building molecules) are disintegrated the higher the possibility that more nutrients will become available for absorption in the GI and for physiological function.

I absolutely do not have a problem with the writer trying to emphasize the benefits of raw vegetables over cooked but it is totally a misconception to say that because you have cooked vegetables there is no health value. Also note that in Nigeria we have a problem with power supply so the issue of food preservation comes into play to minimize microbial activity in foods you need to reduce water activity of course there are different methods of achieving this but In Nigeria we cook.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by UjSizzle(f): 11:35am On Sep 11, 2013
heo88:

Oga I think you mean Fiona Shaw (wife of Lord Lugard) cool grin
More like Flora Shaw undecided

1 Like

Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by howfarwhatagwan: 11:36am On Sep 11, 2013
You do not have to cook it for so long to ensure it is not bitter there are some ingredients that can be added to mask the bitter taste and for me that is how I was taught to cook stew
Re: Why Do Nigerians Cook Their Stew So Much? by UjSizzle(f): 11:38am On Sep 11, 2013
I Blend the tomatoes with lil water, and put in the oil once it goes on fire. That way the drying and frying takes place at once...while I feast on bread before I die of hunger grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Does ORIJIN Contain More Sugar Than Necessary? / Nigerian Man Wins Cooking Award In The US, Hosted On Good Morning America.Photos / Police Place Chioma Okoli On Watchlist Over Erisco Product Review

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.