Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,150 members, 7,880,606 topics. Date: Thursday, 04 July 2024 at 10:17 PM

Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units (14836 Views)

Lagos To Demolish 800 Houses For 4th Mainland Bridge / Troops Demolish Boko Haram Guard Post In Sambisa, Kill Insurgents [PHO / Buhari Wins Borno To Consolidate Victory (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Ogbonaikenna(m): 6:52am On Sep 09, 2013
apprehensions among Christians in Borno State following attacks by the Boko Haram Islamic sect has taken a new dimension as the state government intensifies efforts to demolish over 20 churches and schools built by the churches.

The development has therefore continued to fuel speculations about the desperation to Islamize the country beginning from Northern Nigeria.

Our correspondent reliably gathered that “the state government will embark on the demolition exercise any moment from now.”

Sources hinted that the Borno state government has already dispatched a notice to the leadership of the Christian Association of Nigeria, Pentecostal Fellowship of Nigeria and owners of farmlands in the area, intimating them of the plan to acquire the structures for a 1000 housing units.

A leaflet from the office of the Borno State Ministry of Lands and Survey dated August 20 and signed by one Musa Ummate (O/C Land Administration) on behalf of the commissioner was obtained by journalists on Sunday in Abuja.

The leaflet is entitled: “Notice of Acquisition and assessment/valuation of structures on proposed site for 1000 Housing Units along Gubio Road Highway.”

It reads: “I am directed to refer to you farmers and holders of structures on the proposed site for the matter captioned above and regret to inform you that the executive governor has by the power conferred on him by Section (2)b of the Land Use Act 1978 directed through high powered committee on construction Ref. no: HPCC/2500/HE/S/TEC/1 to notify you of his intention to acquire your farm lands and assessment/valuation of the structures on the proposed site situated along Gubio Road, Maiduguri.

“The acquisition is necessary in view of requirements of the land by the state government for overriding public interest to construct a Housing Estate. The affected farmers and holders of structures are to take note and appear on site for the above exercise, please.”

However, our correspondent learnt from reliable sources that the state government has no plan to develop any housing estate but to destroy the churches and over 20 private schools built by the churches.

A source said, “Over 20 churches and many schools will be affected. The lands on which the churches were built were bought from farmers and they have the authority and certificate of the District Head in Maiduguri popularly called Bulama. The land was not under the Ministry when it was bought.

“The Christians went for the meeting called by the governor and for several hours, the governor didn’t come out to see them. It is always difficult for Christians to get a land in Maiduguri. Even after getting the land, the government won’t give you Certificate of Occupancy. They compensated all Borno muslims who were victims of Boko Haram. But how many Christians were compensated?”

When contacted, the General Secretary of CAN, Dr. Musa Asake, confirmed the development but called on Borno State government to have a rethink.

He said, “We have seen that eviction notice from the Borno state government. We are all Nigerians and there are other places where the state government can develop. The areas being earmarked for demolition are already developed with churches and schools.

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/component/k2/item/21166-tension-in-maiduguri-as-govt-moves-to-demolish-20-churches,-schools.html
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Tsmooth1(m): 6:54am On Sep 09, 2013
In the whole of Niger-Delta region I dont think there are up to 20 mosques there. Bt in North there are more churches than even the Christains themselves, but that is not a justification to demolishh churches in Maiduguri or North. The government said it want to use the land to construct houses for its citizens, I dnt think the church shld hv prblm with that. Bt the state shld compensate them and relocate to another place.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Iykopee(m): 7:55am On Sep 09, 2013
This is what u get when u share the same country with religion extremists and ragtags.

fvck them all islamists

33 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Nobody: 8:11am On Sep 09, 2013
No more subterfuge. Boko haram have finally gone official! Imagine even destroying schools! Its like these people have their progress in reverse gear; the embargo on Nigeria progress. But some people will still argue blindly that bokoharam are a island of their own and not northerners agenda to islamize Nigeria.

25 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by premlove(m): 8:32am On Sep 09, 2013
If i say islamic is a religiou of trouble the moderator will ban me

31 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:33am On Sep 09, 2013
No source will comment when the op put a source on the news
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by bestman09(m): 8:50am On Sep 09, 2013
APC thinz!

7 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by FunnyPikincom(m): 9:02am On Sep 09, 2013
Im sure 90% of people here wont read the real cause before spewing rubbish and attacking islam...., Bornu is different from OGUN where Oledepo supervised beating of Govt Official, They need to act fast before these merchants of Gospel encroach their land....

Be and lets others be...thats all

Feel free to attack me tongue

17 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Chiscomax(m): 9:07am On Sep 09, 2013
well, thy do not know the cost of one bag of cement now. it is very expensive so think wisely before you destroy.
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Nobody: 9:08am On Sep 09, 2013
[size=30pt]Is the Governor a member of Boko Haram?[/size]

12 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 09, 2013
Imagine converting all churches to homes where homeless people can lay their heads. That would be a positive development. Churches are really unnecessary to our society.

14 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by scribble: 9:09am On Sep 09, 2013
If na mosque dem demolish na or quran, u go think say heaven wan fall.

15 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Nobody: 9:09am On Sep 09, 2013
What and where is the building plan of the affected area? Am almost sure these church buildings have been rushed to begin yielding returns I.e. tite

That said, mosques should also not constitute a nuisance so I urge the FCT to visit Abuja mosque and stop the Muslims from roaming about like rats every Friday.

1 Like

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by henchamb(m): 9:12am On Sep 09, 2013
FunnyPikin.com:
Im sure 90% of people here wont read the real cause before spewing rubbish and attacking islam...., Bornu is different from OGUN where Oledepo supervised beating of Govt Official, They need to act fast before the merchants of Gospel encroach their land....

I cant attack you because only mad men attack mad men. so go to the streets and look for fellow mad man for attack not our dear nairaland

28 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by moscobabs(m): 9:13am On Sep 09, 2013
not all churches but those on Government land,including the schools and mosques.do not be religion sentimental,allow The governor to turn his state to his dream choice.If u cannot do anything for Fashola u can't do anything for Borno state governor as well.commot for maiduguri if u are not satisfy

19 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by mistayeancah(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2013
Ha!!!!!!!! Ha!!! :-)Ha!!!!!!!! Ha!!! :-)Ha!!!!!!!! Ha!!! :-)
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Chiscomax(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2013
henchamb:

I cant attack you because only men men attack mad men. so go to the streets and look for fellow mad man for attack not our dear nairaland

i do not understand

1 Like

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Mobsync(m): 9:14am On Sep 09, 2013
prem love: If i say islamic is a religiou of trouble the moderator will ban me

Your use of English is very poor.

8 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by princesammmy: 9:15am On Sep 09, 2013
FunnyPikin.com:
Im sure 90% of people here wont read the real cause before spewing rubbish and attacking islam...., Bornu is different from OGUN where Oledepo supervised beating of Govt Official, They need to act fast before the merchants of Gospel encroach their land....

please who is Oledepo? if i say islam is related to illitracy now d mod will ban me

21 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by nagoma(m): 9:16am On Sep 09, 2013
The irresponsible alarmists and haters of peace have started again.
Can you answer these questions please before we continue:

1. These farmlands being acquired by the government , do they have any other structures belonging to other people or is it only churches that are targeted?

2. Do the churches have legal cerrtificates of occupancy for these lands; is compensation being discussed?

3. After you have answered these questions we can discuss how much land is reserved for mosques in Imo, Abia and Anambra states.

5 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by yomitoye: 9:17am On Sep 09, 2013
if i say[b] Islam[/b] is a violent and terrorist religion, u moderator ll ban me....but i don talk my own....

how would ds country ve develop without Islam...guys just imagine ds b4 dat guy ban me

2 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Chiscomax(m): 9:17am On Sep 09, 2013
princesammmy:

please who is Oledepo? if i say islam is related to illitracy now d mod will ban me

lolzzzzz
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Abimloaded(m): 9:17am On Sep 09, 2013
I know some subpar intelligence muslim will still claim innocent. Thank God we now know the main Base of the boko haram is now Official! Like if u understand

8 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Hadone(m): 9:18am On Sep 09, 2013
ISLAM IS RELIGION GUIDED BY LAWS AND PRINCIPLES AND DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SUPPORT THE ACT OF DESTRUCTION OF CHURCHES.

3 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by xynerise: 9:18am On Sep 09, 2013
Does that mean the vast land they have there is useless?

3 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by talksankey: 9:18am On Sep 09, 2013
Would d state government pay adiquate comensation? My guess is no. Because they jave refused to give c of o. This is not fair.
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Abimloaded(m): 9:19am On Sep 09, 2013
yomi toye: if i say[b]Islam[/b] is a violent and terrorist religion, u moderator ll ban me....but i don talk my own....

how would ds country ve develop without Islam...guys just imagine ds b4 dat guy ban me
LOLS!!
Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by nagoma(m): 9:20am On Sep 09, 2013
Abimloaded: I know some subpar intelligence muslim will still claim innocent. Thank God we now know the main Base of the boko haram is now Official! Like if u understand

You are borderline literate but dislexic.

2 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Abimloaded(m): 9:20am On Sep 09, 2013
Had_one: ISLAM IS RELIGION GUIDED BY LAWS AND PRINCIPLES AND DOES NOT IN ANY WAY SUPPORT THE ACT OF DESTRUCTION OF CHURCHES.
One of the Callow i'm talking of on Nairaland

2 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by SterlingTowers(m): 9:21am On Sep 09, 2013
What other public interest should override that of schools. These hausas and their Logic. The churches should take em to the court , I know they will lose at the court of first instance but not at the supreme court and for my igbos brothers this is what I mean when I say only the indigenes which include the governor of a state are actually the owners of the lands to wit Lagos State. Gerrit now.

1 Like

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by Nobody: 9:22am On Sep 09, 2013
I for one know that APC has nothing good for Nigerians.
They just legalized abortion in Imo
Now they are demolishing churchs and school.

N/B Bokoharam means Western education is evil.

Let's wait for more from APC

3 Likes

Re: Borno To Demolish Churches For The Construction Of Housing Units by rozayx5(m): 9:23am On Sep 09, 2013
one Nigeria I hail ohh undecided

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ndi Igbo May Regret Constant Attack On Yoruba - Their Only Reliable Supporter / Keke Drivers Protest In Umuahia Against High Extortion (Photos) / APC David Olukoga Defects To PDP In Edo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.