Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,178,831 members, 7,906,049 topics. Date: Wednesday, 31 July 2024 at 01:21 AM

Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities (13760 Views)

Wife Nags And Prioritises Of Her Family Responsibilities Above Her Marital Home. / Why Do Men Shy Away From Responsibilities Once They Notice Their Wife Has Money / Happy Birthday To Family Section's World Famous Leapling (CHAIRCOVER) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:00pm On Sep 11, 2013
Lilimax: Are you saying he should be enslaved to the his family without facing his own immediate family? Little wonder most of them end up marrying very late...

It is not enslaving, it is giving back what you took from the Family, if they didn't train you in school there will be no woman out there who would want to marry an Illiterate+Jobless/clueless human being out there, These are Basic things that a man should do, if he ignores them, then he is living his life on his own fate because he will become an island to the family.

A man should learn how to control money by making money work for him and not him work for money, because as it is this man in question is using his emotions to think and not his head.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
I can tell him to go ahead ONLY if he intends staying outside Lagos state. I dont expect him to marry on 1.1 Million per annum... Person wey dey earn pass that sef still dey worry about getting married in Lagos.

In all things, Glory to God.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 3:02pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk:

It is not enslaving, it is giving back what you took from the Family, if they didn't train you in school there will be no woman out there who would want to marry an Illiterate+Jobless/clueless human being out there, These are Basic things that a man should do, if he ignores them, then he is living his life on his own fate because he will become an island to the family.

A man should learn how to control money by making money work for him and not him work for money, because as it is this man in question is using his emotions to think and not his head.

Very true, but i am sure they all could compromise on how to meet in the middle, marry and still be able to all manage, but the man MUST have to marry a lady that has a job too, cos if he has to take care of a wife, kids (when they arrive), wife's family, his own family (Send siblings to school) and renovate the family home, this young man is set to cry so bad and they really will make his life miserable and MIGHT never be happy again.
Poverty is a bastard!

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by cosby(m): 3:03pm On Sep 11, 2013
go ahead and get married, the family involvement will never stop. you are just prolonging the days.

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:05pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

inasmuch as you are so right, i still think it is selfish

It is not being selfish bro, if he doesn't put things in order, soon or later enough after marriage he will ignore his family because by then the Liabilities will be too much on him coming from both his immediate family and his extended family, or even as far as the family of his wife.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:07pm On Sep 11, 2013
cosby: go ahead and get married, the family involvement will never stop. you are just prolonging the days.

A happy family is not built on how old the Union is but how happy they are together, some people have been married for 30years but have stopped talking to each other or having sex in same house for over 10years all because they just cannot let go of their kids to be taken care of by other men/women because of Ignorance...Family matters a lot.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 3:08pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk:

It is not being selfish bro, if he doesn't put things in order, soon or later enough after marriage he will ignore his family because by then the Liabilities will be too much on him coming from both his immediate family and his extended family, or even as far as the family of his wife.

Yes, you are right, but would you agree that sooner or later, same mother will look at Musa on the other street that is of same age with his son that now has 2 kids and compare and contrast.
In another few years, same mother will tell the boy - She needs grand kids and she would have forgotten that "responsibilities" made the man old with no kids?
i think they could all come to some agreement on how to handle this while everyone's happiness is well taken cared of, at least to some extent

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:10pm On Sep 11, 2013
If marrying will halt fulfilling family priority responsibility, then it is obligatory to pause the marriage plans and sort out family issues first. Without a stable family love, the marriage will be in shambles in no distant time.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 3:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Yes, you are right, but would you agree that sooner or later, same mother will look at Musa on the other street that is of same age with his son that now has 2 kids and compare and contrast.
In another few years, same mother will tell the boy - She needs grand kids and she would have forgotten that "responsibilities" made the man old with no kids?
i think they could all come to some agreement on how to handle this while everyone's happiness is well taken cared of, at least to some extent

A man cannot succeed if he has things that are pulling him backwards, hence the need why he has to lay a solid foundation so as to relieve himself of what might be taking finance from him in the future, if he lives his life on hand to mouth, he is bound to fail, but if he relieves himself of some of the responsibility he will be taking care of in the future at this time before marriage, then he will have a better ground of saving when he gets married.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 3:14pm On Sep 11, 2013
eddiebruk:

A man cannot succeed if he has things that are pulling him backwards, hence the need why he has to lay a solid foundation so as to relieve himself of what might be taking finance from him in the future, if he lives his life on hand to mouth, he is bound to fail, but if he relieves himself of some of the responsibility he will be taking care of in the future at this time before marriage, then he will have a better ground of saving when he gets married.

Gbam! Thus my saying there is no way he will be able to fullfil those responsibilities with his salary - let him postpone the marriage for the next 20 years, those obligations will still be there, cos he is not making enuf money
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by delpee(f): 3:48pm On Sep 11, 2013
An understanding and patient fiancee can make things happen. It depends on her relationship with the family,her earning capacity (full time housewife is a no-no in this situation) and the ability of the man to convince his mum. The reality is that you cant have peace if your mum and siblings are not assisted one way or the other.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by ycmdng(m): 4:07pm On Sep 11, 2013
I pity guy wit sibling like a football team, as for me- any parnt dat fail to plan d family well wil bear d consequenc.
We four kid in our family graduatd frm d uni b4 any of d parnt retire frm thr wrk. LOBATAN

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 4:12pm On Sep 11, 2013
Well it depends on what type of family he was raised in.. there are some biatch a.ss families though. you hustle to pay for your school fees, you get part-time jobs and still feed the family from your meagre earnings and when you get married you are still feeding them and your new family paying their rent, sending siblings to school... gawd!! it never ends.. when you look back you realise that they are all sitting on their lazy ass.es waiting for payday from you. who works like a jackie all month long.. families should realize that should you die, they will have to find someone to leech off

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by tpia5: 4:19pm On Sep 11, 2013
delpee: An understanding and patient fiancee can make things happen. It depends on her relationship with the family,her earning capacity (full time housewife is a no-no in this situation) and the ability of the man to convince his mum. The reality is that you cant have peace if your mum and siblings are not assisted one way or the other.

well said.

more so, if the shoe were on the other foot, the lady will have no problems asking the man to foot her parents and siblings' bills.

ie if it were the woman's family who needed assistance.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by tpia5: 4:20pm On Sep 11, 2013
ycmdng: I pity guy wit sibling like a football team, as for me- any parnt dat fail to plan d family well wil bear d consequenc.
We four kid in our family graduatd frm d uni b4 any of d parnt retire frm thr wrk. LOBATAN

well, you were lucky and maybe middle class.

not every family has that opportunity.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Exponental(m): 4:26pm On Sep 11, 2013
The truth is dat, once u are married, there are added responsibility but all u need do is PLAN. Marriage is a blessing not a curse. Even with times 2 of ur income, if u dont plan well, u will fail.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by veraponpo(m): 4:27pm On Sep 11, 2013
@OP, I dont know the age of your friend but if truly he just got a job last year, it is relatively too early to marry with such a salary. It is better, he plans his life, help siblings, help parents, do professional programmes to build his future and secure his career, if possible he should work for 4 to 6 years before getting married. With that he would have secured a good accommodation, do masters, do a professional programme, attend seminars and training to become a real man. it is good to marry but it is not sufficient. What truly makes a man is his maturity in all facets of life.

Marriage takes more than we think, it is not worth rushing into. Pls advise him.

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 4:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
sexymoma: Tell him to get his wife pregnant or better still he should travel out of the country for some time then come back with his fiancee.

Shey the guy na jesus... wey be say he go die for their sin.
Let them get educated to his level too now so they can also earn the same amount.

I swear the mother of the man wont like his wife cos she is already hating her even when she hasn't seen her.
undecided Are you having a laugh?
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Lilimax(f): 4:35pm On Sep 11, 2013
cosby: go ahead and get married, the family involvement will never stop. you are just prolonging the days.
Well said.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by loswhite(m): 4:40pm On Sep 11, 2013
sexymoma: Tell him to get his wife pregnant or better still he should travel out of the country for some time then come back with his fiancee.

Shey the guy na jesus... wey be say he go die for their sin.
Let them get educated to his level too now so they can also earn the same amount.

I swear the mother of the man wont like his wife cos she is already hating her even when she hasn't seen her.
pls did he educate himself ? @ "let them get educated to his level"
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 4:43pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy: Na wa oh - I will advice the guy to find a way to talk to the mother and plead with her cos he needs the mother's blessing and not fair for him to delay his life as well all in the name of "responsibility"
This is one of the reasons why i think self sponsor education is great, cos there is a possibiblty that his siblings sold pure water and beans for him to finish his school . . . I hope all work out for the guy.
Also, 1.1M Naira is a lot of money but for sure wont be able to take care of ALL of THEM - For God's sake, that is less than 100K a month cry
Lol, I feel your pain. It's painful times we live in.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Archilouis(m): 4:46pm On Sep 11, 2013
A generation that lives for the past generation, only sets up the future generation to work for them.

Contributions should be for the future & future only. This should not stop caring for the past generation, but not to be seen as an financial obligation.

It is infact a financial obligation to set aside for your children & future generation.

It is touching, but true. Failures seek cheap emotions for cover.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
kennygee: Trust me, my dad did it, immediately he died, those same family members turned their baks on us and were the very ones giving my mum problems. It's not worth it, Your happiness is supreme, any family responsiblity can come after your husband or wife and kids.

Exactly the same thing, except in this case they took all our properties, anyway as for the OP this dilemma is not a small way you just have to strike balance in some ways, sorry but am not experienced enough to give a good advice cry

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by soulglo: 5:24pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

Not that simple and easy, cos a curse from a mother is not easy to deal with, at same time, we have no idea what the mother and even the siblings has passed through to get him to the 1.1M Naira annually recipient.

Oh please. Is his mother God? The answer to that is no. Here are the things the OP's friend has listed that the mother wants. Renovate a house in the village. Help with his siblings education. Set up a shop for her. Renovating the house in the village should be out of the question. Helping the siblings in the University should not stop a man from getting married. Why? Because those siblings can also help themselves by doing something on the side to supplement the little their brother can afford. It should not all fall on him. There are people who got educated with no parents. They hustled. His siblings can hustle. The only one that makes some sense is setting up the business for his mother. This should also have a condition. Is this business being set up to actually pay for expenses or just a pit that he will keep putting money into for the next 10 years until Mama decides it is not worth it anymore. If he sets up a business and mama is working, siblings are also doing their hustle on the side and he is also contributing then there is no need to imprison a young man in his prime. A mother that would put a curse on her child because he decided to marry is not the mother you make sacrifices for. When the man starts having babies and non are boys and his mother tells him to marry another wife or she will curse him maybe he should run and do just that because of the fear of a curse. There's nothing to fear but fear itself.

2 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 5:34pm On Sep 11, 2013
soul_glo:

Oh please. Is his mother God? The answer to that is no. Here are the things the OP's friend has listed that the mother wants. Renovate a house in the village. Help with his siblings education. Set up a shop for her. Renovating the house in the village should be out of the question. Helping the siblings in the University should not stop a man from getting married. Why? Because those siblings can also help themselves by doing something on the side to supplement the little their brother can afford. It should not all fall on him. There are people who got educated with no parents. They hustled. His siblings can hustle. The only one that makes some sense is setting up the business for his mother. This should also have a condition. Is this business being set up to actually pay for expenses or just a pit that he will keep putting money into for the next 10 years until Mama decides it is not worth it anymore. If he sets up a business and mama is working, siblings are also doing their hustle on the side and he is also contributing then there is no need to imprison a young man in his prime. A mother that would put a curse on her child because he decided to marry is not the mother you make sacrifices for. When the man starts having babies and non are boys and his mother tells him to marry another wife or she will curse him maybe he should run and do just that because of the fear of a curse. There's nothing to fear but fear itself.

The mother dont have to be God, but you and i have no clue what and how the mother might have trained the guy to the level where he is
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by soulglo: 5:41pm On Sep 11, 2013
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by soulglo: 5:44pm On Sep 11, 2013
Fhemmmy:

The mother dont have to be God, but you and i have no clue what and how the mother might have trained the guy to the level where he is

It does not matter if she moved mountains with her own physical strength. It just doesn't. You do not put those types of pressures on your child. You made the choice to have the child. The child had no choice in the matter. He can help but she does not get to put these sort of pressures on him. That in itself is a curse.

5 Likes

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by aijaydiva(f): 5:47pm On Sep 11, 2013
He shd just open up a shop that generate money 4o d mum. Dat way she can train her children. Simple!! The only way dat wont work is if she is a lazy woman or shez ill.
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by jamesbridget13(f): 5:49pm On Sep 11, 2013
ycmdng: I pity guy wit sibling like a football team, as for me- any parnt dat fail to plan d family well wil bear d consequenc.
look here, if ur parent had not given birth 2 u n ur siblings on time, u wld ve being in school or graduated after their retirement. Such is this case. I guess this young man is a civil servant who has 30-35 yrs of service. Time has started counting. If he doesn't start now, he might be leaving his children 4 his first issue 2 cater 4. God 4bid it 4 him. So many men re scared of getting married but i pity them. Less they know is dat all they need 2 succed is hardwork, prayer n planing
Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Fhemmmy: 5:52pm On Sep 11, 2013
soul_glo:

It does not matter if she moved mountains with her own physical strength. It just doesn't. You do not put those types of pressures on your child. You made the choice to have the child. The child had no choice in the matter. He can help but she does not get to put these sort of pressures on him. That in itself is a curse.

You dont need to tell me that, Sir - Say it to the culture that we have inherited

1 Like

Re: Delaying Marriage Due To Family Responsibilities by Goldenboy007(m): 6:01pm On Sep 11, 2013
Some people sacrificed for him to be where he is today, so what if he is the one still in secondary school looking up to his siblings for sponsorship? The myth and misconceptions about marriage and child bearing are the bane of some social ills we experience in our society. Getting married and bearing kids are not achievements but responsibilities, the moment we get this straight in Africa the earlier we stop burdening others with our problems! Let him go pay his dues!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Is Watching Pornography Considered Cheating? / "God, Bless My Mother With Another Baby" - 5-year-old Boy's Heartwarming Prayers / What's The Greatest LESSONS You Learnt From Your Parents

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.