Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,228 members, 7,943,394 topics. Date: Sunday, 08 September 2024 at 02:13 PM

Must We Forgive And Forget - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Must We Forgive And Forget (1113 Views)

Can One Pray To God To Forgive The Sins Of Another? / How To Forgive And Forget For Good. / Can We Truly Forgive And Forget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Must We Forgive And Forget by matured(m): 9:12pm On Jun 18, 2008
The issue of fogiveness can not be overemphasised cos the bible even said "we should forgive even our enemies"But the one that bothers my heart is this one forgive and forget.Is this truly possible to forgive and forget.Fine i believe the bibles teaching on forgiveness but did the BIBLE say we should forget?
pls i need your voice here
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by HRhotness(f): 9:17pm On Jun 18, 2008
where exactly does it say "forgive and forget"?
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by Cayon(f): 3:28am On Jun 19, 2008
I grant forgiveness to all living beings
May all the living beings please forgive me.
I have friendship with all the living beings.
I have no hostility towards anyone.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by dudu19(m): 3:34am On Jun 19, 2008
Its a very good thing to forgive, so long the offender has apologised and acknowledged their

wrong doing, but its up to you2 personally forget.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by smile4kenn(m): 4:31am On Jun 19, 2008
I can forgive, but will never forget!!!!
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by joomiegal(f): 9:07am On Jun 19, 2008
This forgive & forget issue sef undecided. Its one that has been raised many times in my church.
Well, me ive come to the conclusion that
1. I will forgive, but i cannot develop amnesia overnight over an issue
2. I dont think the "forget" clause is in the Bible with regards to us, (pls correct me if im wrong, anyone). Its God that doesnt ever remeber our sins.
3. I think the "forget" doesnt mean amnesia, it means TREATING THE OFFENDER AS NOT GUILTY, not dwelling on the issue, continuing the relationship as if the person never offended you (sometimes that mite be difficult, u might wanna ask for Grace to do that).
4. One sure-fire way of knowing that you've truly forgiven someone is that even when you recall that this person once hurt you, you wont be able to remember the details. After a while all you may remember is that 'this person and myself once quarelled', but you may not even remember what u quarelled over.(thats wot i think the "forgetting" is all bout, but i dont think that happens overnight anyways.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by joomiegal(f): 9:18am On Jun 19, 2008
dudu19:

Its a very good thing to forgive, so long the offender has apologised and acknowledged their

wrong doing, but its up to you2 personally forget.

Wot if the offender refuses to apologise? you still gotta move on dont cha? some pple are like that-they NEVER say 'sorry', even when they know they're in the wrong. One cant go on beefing them forever-person go just get ulcer for nothing
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by HRhotness(f): 9:13pm On Jun 19, 2008
No one has answered my question oh

what passage states exactly "forgive and forget"?
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by AKO1(m): 9:29pm On Jun 19, 2008
HR.hotness:

No one has answered my question oh

what passage states exactly "forgive and forget"?

I dont know of any but the bible does say that God remembers our sins no more when we get born again i.e. sins prior to this. This is probably where the concept is gotten from.

When God says He will forget our sins I dont think He actually erases it off His memory. I think what happens is that He does not relate to us based on what we have done; for example enacting the consequences of our previous sins or using those sins as a basis for allowing some good things to happen to us.

I dont think its a bad idea to do likewise. . ., this is my personal opinion.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by matured(m): 8:17pm On Jun 20, 2008
HR.hotness,i never said the bible said that but when we look at some of the bible verses talking about forgiveness u will discover that the kind of forgiveness it is talking abt is more or less like forgiving outrightly.Or wat is ur opion on this topic,do u belive in forgive and forget?

be matured
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by Frizy(m): 10:21am On Jun 23, 2008
You can forgive but even God doesn't forget. So its hard to forget something terrible someone did to offend you. You aren't a fool afterall.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by noetic(m): 3:36pm On Jun 23, 2008
A_K_O:

I don't know of any but the bible does say that God remembers our sins no more when we get born again i.e. sins prior to this. This is probably where the concept is gotten from.

When God says He will forget our sins I don't think He actually erases it off His memory. I think what happens is that He does not relate to us based on what we have done; for example enacting the consequences of our previous sins or using those sins as a basis for allowing some good things to happen to us.

I don't think its a bad idea to do likewise. . ., this is my personal opinion.
seconded
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by MALAMA(f): 6:31pm On Jun 23, 2008
The 'forget ' part means not holding a grudge against the offender.In reality,forgetting some hurts is difficult .The brain has a way of storing them.Sometimes,not forgetting the hurt can be helpful so as to protect us from getting hurt a second time.We will be able to steer clear of such a situation and avoid being hurt.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by matured(m): 12:16am On Jun 24, 2008
malama,thats was lovely.i am glad wit the wa u tackled it.

I want more replies.so keep it roling in.

be matured
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by esamfor2(m): 6:00pm On Jun 24, 2008
I appreciate everyone's contributions so far, i greet u all, well done!

I'll like to look into this topic from a different perspective which I believe it's very important for everyone of us to understand - individual nature

It is in some ppl's nature to forget things easily. If u ask them of the food they ate last night or even the colour of the shirt they wore yesterday, u'll be surprised that they can't actually remember. So, it is possible for a kind of person like this to quickly forget incidences that hurts.

In the order way, ppl who have a keen sense, sharp memory and sound mind, who can even remember the events that occured when they were still in the foetus can find it difficult to forget offensive scenarios after they might have forgiven the offender. They keep talking about offenses which happened long ago and add the current one to their list.

So it depends on your own nature.
Re: Must We Forgive And Forget by matured(m): 6:07am On Jun 27, 2008
@e_samfor2
thanks for ur reply

lets ur replies role in okay.

(1) (Reply)

Honest Questions / Pilgrimage To Mecca/jerusalem- Why Does The Government Sponsor People? / What If Rapture Occurs On July 19th,are You Ready? Hmmm Read This

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.