Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,240 members, 7,977,695 topics. Date: Thursday, 17 October 2024 at 12:07 PM

What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? - Literature (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? (130109 Views)

What Books Are You Reading At The Moment-share It With Us / Love Reading, Right? Well, Check This Site Out! / What Nigerian Books Are You Reading? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (61) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 7:12pm On Nov 25, 2013
Larry-Sun:
Dark River of the Earth (Dean Koontz)
page 155.
When was it published?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 7:26pm On Nov 25, 2013
Purple Hibiscus. Page 60.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by LarrySun(m): 12:49am On Nov 26, 2013
Illuminatus:
When was it published?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 7:23am On Nov 26, 2013
Larry-Sun:
I've read a lot of Dean's works and I've decided not to read anything published latter than the 90's.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 7:24am On Nov 26, 2013
Dan Brown's Inferno. 41%. Sadly, I'm not really enjoying this book as I should. I'll definitely review it after reading.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 9:18am On Nov 28, 2013
For those looking for where to get ebooks, check mobile9.com....the books are mainly in epub format.
@mynd, av u finished d PJ series Hope u'll read d Heroes of Olympus, it's a sequel to PJO
Inferno is interestin
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 9:35am On Nov 28, 2013
@brisingr...av u read The Inheritance cycle?? Very cool series
I'm actually looking for a new title to read....not looking for a series with 10 books nd silly cliffhangers o. Still waiting for Winds of Winter nw and hopin Jon Snow isn't dead. That GRR Martin na sadist
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 4:09pm On Nov 28, 2013
I just finished reading Inferno and here's my review:
I've read every single book officially written by Dan Brown, so I can authoritatively say that Inferno is the most disappointing (actually, the only disappointing).
The Lost Symbol while not being a terrible book wasn't particulary impressive to me so I was expecting Dan to bring back that feeling I had with Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code with Inferno.
I found the excessive use of exaggeration very daunting. Dan described every single art, building, and city (Venice and Florence) as the best. While these description and ideas might not be wrong, they're not particularly true either (at least for me) and I found them overbearing. At some point when he was describing that Dante museum in Florence, I wanted to tear my hair out. A classic case of the too much of everything is bad saying.
Another thing I disliked is that Dan is still sticking with keeping Robert single and not searching. One of the things I like seeing in a (hero) character of a series is growth. I just finished reading The Codex Alera series and I appreciated how Tavi grew and matured with every single book and the other characters changed too. Seeing that Robert is still a Professor of Symbology in Harvard and still single without friends didn't help the book. I was expecting the professor to change in some way, acquire a romantic interest, make a stable friend, introduce a family member, anything except being the same aging professor that sticks to a life of being a alone.
But it wasn't all bad. I liked the way Dan presented a lot of ideas and facts and the way he makes you not want to doubt it. I've learnt a whole lot of new stuff from the book, exploring new possibilites. The idea of how Overpopulation is a big problem for humanity is something I hadn't fully well appreciated before. It has suddenly become something I hope a lot of people could pull their heads out of their backsides and acknowledge.
Another thing I liked about the book is something Dan is well know for: suspense and mystery. He cleverly withheld the identity of one of the master villans(not sure the person could be called that). I like the way he wove the story with such intricate details and appealing characters.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 4:14pm On Nov 28, 2013
Anyway, I'm trying not to read for a while and concentrate on some other stuff. But I'm being drawn into reading this thriller, Before I Go To Sleep.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Illuminatus: I just finished reading Inferno and here's my review:
I've read every single book officially written by Dan Brown, so I can authoritatively say that Inferno is the most disappointing (actually, the only disappointing).
The Lost Symbol while not being a terrible book wasn't particulary impressive to me so I was expecting Dan to bring back that feeling I had with Angels and Demons and The Da Vinci Code with Inferno.
I found the excessive use of exaggeration very daunting. Dan described every single art, building, and city (Venice and Florence) as the best. While these description and ideas might not be wrong, they're not particularly true either (at least for me) and I found them overbearing. At some point when he was describing that Dante museum in Florence, I wanted to tear my hair out. A classic case of the too much of everything is bad saying.
Another thing I disliked is that Dan is still sticking with keeping Robert single and not searching. One of the things I like seeing in a (hero) character of a series is growth. I just finished reading The Codex Alera series and I appreciated how Tavi grew and matured with every single book and the other characters changed too. Seeing that Robert is still a Professor of Symbology in Harvard and still single without friends didn't help the book. I was expecting the professor to change in some way, acquire a romantic interest, make a stable friend, introduce a family member, anything except being the same aging professor that sticks to a life of being a alone.
But it wasn't all bad. I liked the way Dan presented a lot of ideas and facts and the way he makes you not want to doubt it. I've learnt a whole lot of new stuff from the book, exploring new possibilites. The idea of how Overpopulation is a big problem for humanity is something I hadn't fully well appreciated before. It has suddenly become something I hope a lot of people could pull their heads out of their backsides and acknowledge.
Another thing I liked about the book is something Dan is well know for: suspense and mystery. He cleverly withheld the identity of one of the master villans(not sure the person could be called that). I like the way he wove the story with such intricate details and appealing characters.
funny enough I just downloaded inferno yesterday. This is the second bad review I'm reading. If I ask another friend that reads Dan Brown's and he has nothing positive to say, I'll delete the book o. Life is too short spending time on uninteresting books. I'm not a fan of Dan to start with grin but I love Da Vinci code I'll not lie. I read it twice.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Nobody: 4:52pm On Nov 28, 2013
Illuminatus: I just finished reading Inferno and here's my review:
funny enough I just downloaded inferno yesterday. This is the second bad review I'm reading. If I ask another friend that reads Dan Brown's and he has nothing positive to say, I'll delete the book o. Life is too short spending time on uninteresting books. I'm not a fan of Dan to start with grin but I love Da Vinci code I'll not lie. I read it twice.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 6:17pm On Nov 28, 2013
kofsy: funny enough I just downloaded inferno yesterday. This is the second bad review I'm reading. If I ask another friend that reads Dan Brown's and he has nothing positive to say, I'll delete the book o. Life is too short spending time on uninteresting books. I'm not a fan of Dan to start with grin but I love Da Vinci code I'll not lie. I read it twice.
Lol. Have you read Digital Fortress and Deception Point? They're both great although they aren't part of the Robert Langdon series.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by LarrySun(m): 7:18pm On Nov 28, 2013
Illuminatus:
I've read a lot of Dean's works and I've decided not to read anything published latter than the 90's.
He's one hell of a writer.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 7:45pm On Nov 28, 2013
Larry-Sun:
He's one hell of a writer.
Yeah. He's best is Watchers.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by davydenko18(m): 4:26pm On Nov 29, 2013
Illuminatus: Dan Brown's Inferno. 41%. Sadly, I'm not really enjoying this book as I should. I'll definitely review it after reading.
I read it in April, dan brown is losing his touch. The book is 'dully boring'. Though i believed inferno may be the first part of trilogy with purgatory to follow. Hope he will discover digital fortress touch again.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Brisingr(m): 5:32pm On Nov 29, 2013
bataderemi: @brisingr...av u read The Inheritance cycle?? Very cool series
I'm actually looking for a new title to read....not looking for a series with 10 books nd silly cliffhangers o. Still waiting for Winds of Winter. That GRR Martin na sadist
@bataderemi huge spoilers they dis your post o

I have read the inheritance cycle, never liked it much but from my user name you would think its my favourite.
U should check out the night angel series by brent weeks. 3 books only and very interesting way better than eragon.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Brisingr(m): 5:39pm On Nov 29, 2013
@illuminatus

Before I go to sleep is very interesting and I rarely read anything without magic or swords

I think why people are getting tired of Dan brown's is all his novels are kind off similar you know their is one big plot twist coming why it is backfiring now is what I don't get it worked, well with the earlier novels. I haven't read it myself
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 5:45pm On Nov 29, 2013
davydenko18:
I read it in April, dan brown is losing his touch. The book is 'dully boring'. Though i believed inferno may be the first part of trilogy with purgatory to follow. Hope he will discover digital fortress touch again.
Exactly. Digital Fortress and Deception Point are his best works so far. I hope he goes back to his roots.
Robert Langdon is already an ongoing series. How can you have a triology in a series?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 5:50pm On Nov 29, 2013
Brisingr: @illuminatus

Before I go to sleep is very interesting and I rarely read anything without magic or swords

I think why people are getting tired of Dan brown's is all his novels are kind off similar you know their is one big plot twist coming why it is backfiring now is what I don't get it worked, well with the earlier novels. I haven't read it myself
I started Before I Go To Sleep today. Haven't gone far though. Been busy. Will get into it tonight.
For me, the twist is one of the few things I liked about the book.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by scorpidmo(m): 10:35am On Nov 30, 2013
As anyone here read Neil Gaiman's Ocean at the end of the lane. Short and imaginative.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by davydenko18(m): 11:11am On Nov 30, 2013
Illuminatus:
Exactly. Digital Fortress and Deception Point are his best works so far. I hope he goes back to his roots.
Robert Langdon is already an ongoing series. How can you have a triology in a series?
Inferno is the first section of hell in a oem written by Dante, others are purgatory and paradisio.
Btw, have you read the lost symbol written in 2008 by dan brown?
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 11:54am On Nov 30, 2013
davydenko18:
Inferno is the first section of hell in a oem written by Dante, others are purgatory and paradisio.
davydenko18:
Yes. There's Purgatory and then Paradiso. But that doesn't mean that the next Robert Langdon novel will follow this particular story.
YES. I've read The Lost Symbol. The one about science and a boy seeking revenge on his father and a secret society.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by UjSizzle(f): 8:56am On Dec 02, 2013
Book 3 of the Hunger Games Series: Catching Fire.

Very cool book cool
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 9:10am On Dec 02, 2013
uj_sizzle: Book 3 of the Hunger Games Series: Catching Fire.

Very cool book cool
Hmmm. The book three is Mockingjay. It is more interesting than the second book but less entertaining than the first.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by UjSizzle(f): 9:14am On Dec 02, 2013
Illuminatus:
Hmmm. The book three is Mockingjay. It is more interesting than the second book but less entertaining than the first.
Thanks for the correction joorh, dunno where mind was.
The first book was really good, Catching Fire was just there, but i'm hoping this one will make me happy.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Obinnau(m): 9:16am On Dec 02, 2013
Am now in page 257 of book 2 of a song of ice and fire series.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by valon2ego: 11:34am On Dec 02, 2013
just finished casie Palmer series (1-6)

man, but most of these vampire romance novels do really suck!
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by luvmijeje(f): 7:59pm On Dec 02, 2013
I'm reading 50 shades trilogy by E.L. James. This book is Hooott and I mean hhhhooottt! I'm adding this author to my favourite list.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 5:06am On Dec 03, 2013
uj_sizzle:
Thanks for the correction joorh, dunno where mind was.
The first book was really good, Catching Fire was just there, but i'm hoping this one will make me happy.
Well, I won't spoil it for yousmiley. Enjoysmiley
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 5:08am On Dec 03, 2013
luvmijeje: I'm reading 50 shades trilogy by E.L. James. This book is Hooott and I mean hhhhooottt! I'm adding this author to my favourite list.
Lol. How many times have masturbated yet? wink. The first book is epic. The rest... Hmmmm. You should find out for yourself.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by luvmijeje(f): 5:44am On Dec 03, 2013
@illuminatus move your mind from the gutter. This is my first time I'm reading a book that is mostly about sex and less of a story but didn't feel like I'm reading P.o rn. Maybe because the main characters love and stayed faithful to each other.
I'm in part 2, at this point I love part2 more than part 1 because the storyline is deeper.
Re: What Are You Reading Right Now And What Page Are You? by Illuminatus(m): 8:35am On Dec 03, 2013
luvmijeje: @illuminatus [/b]move your mind from the gutter[b]. This is my first time I'm reading a book that is mostly about sex and less of a story but didn't feel like I'm reading P.o rn. Maybe because the main characters love and stayed faithful to each other.
I'm in part 2, at this point I love part2 more than part 1 because the storyline is deeper.
I don't understand where the sentence in bold came from and I don't care. You're entitled to your opinion but your insults don't count.

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (61) (Reply)

<<<The Guardians: Rise of the Powers that Be>>> / The Enemy Within - A Tale Of Love, Lust And Betrayal / Authors On Okadabooks Drop Your Book Info Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.