Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,513 members, 7,920,911 topics. Date: Wednesday, 14 August 2024 at 02:37 PM

40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals (1462 Views)

Weapons Recovered From Arrested Criminals In River State (Photos) / EBSU Students Murder Us-Based Lady (photo) / Malaysia Based Nigerians Swindle More Than $11 Million From American Women. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Akolawole(m): 2:26pm On Jun 03, 2006
CNN report says 40% of Nigerians in US are Criminals.

http://odili.net/news/source/2006/jun/2/404.html

Is it Fact or Fiction?
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Chxta(m): 2:53pm On Jun 03, 2006
Ever heard the word 'bollocks'?
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Badman888(m): 3:08pm On Jun 03, 2006
i saw that article earlier on, that is definately fiction what do they mean by that rubbish that 40% are criminals 10% even makes more sense.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Odeku(m): 3:46pm On Jun 03, 2006
I saw that report on CNN, but I do not agree with that statement. despite the fact that we have criminals among us in the USA. what about all the good Nigerians that are striving to make USA a better place. DOCTORS LAWYERS,ACCOUNTANTS AND even store Clark's. they always stereotype us as Nigerians because we are UNIQUE in our ways and we stand out in society . Every night on the news we hear of gun battle and Innocent killing and robberies, those are all Americans and not Nigeria, so maybe CNN should look at its root before calling out Nigerians.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by nicetohave(m): 12:20pm On Jun 04, 2006
what kind of sampling method was used?

corruption is all over the place, it is just saddening that Nigeria(ns) were more noted for this and we are not helping matters either.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Akolawole(m): 12:50pm On Jun 04, 2006
Where is OldGlory?

Please come and defend your favourite CNN?
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by wiseguy(m): 9:05am On Jun 13, 2006
CNN is simply biased.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Drusilla(f): 9:26am On Jun 13, 2006
Even with all the fear of Muslim or Arab or Middle Eastern terrorists or all the hoopla against illegal mexican immigrants.

Black immigrants are liable to be sent back to Africa or the Carribean more than any other immigrants in America.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by food4tot: 9:40am On Jun 13, 2006
This means that

convicted Nigerians[b]/[/b]all Nigerians x 100 = 40%

since this is not true, CNN are liars. CNN is a tool in the hand of someone that hates Nigerians.

One thing strikes me though. From an African proverb, when you see smoke suspect there is fire somewhere.
Also, ever heard of give a dog a bad name before killing it?
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Drusilla(f): 9:43am On Jun 13, 2006
Anybody have a link to the original report from CNN, itself?
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by food4tot: 9:48am On Jun 13, 2006
CNN source please!

Odilli might be the crook here.
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Drusilla(f): 10:46am On Jun 13, 2006
Aha, I found it.

The whole show basically show cased a lot of Nigerian identity theft. With others.

Here however is the comments about Nigerians being 40 percent thieves.

Actually, he said that 6 out of 10 or 60% of Nigerians are thieves.

:::::BEGIN TRANSCRIPT:::::::

When we return, coming to America.

ANTHONY OLOBUMNI BONAJO (ph), IDENTITY THIEVE: Clearly, the Nigerians that are involved with fraud in America, over here, will be at least 40 percent of them.

GRIFFIN: Immigrants, kicked out as criminals, sneaking back to do it again.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

GRIFFIN: When Anthony Olobumni Bonajo (ph) was a new immigrant, struggling to support his family, he had no trouble supplementing his income with a quick money scheme, run by fellow Nigerians.

ANTHONY OLOBUMNI BONAJO (ph), IDENTITY THIEVE: That's basically their target all the time: How can I make the money right quick? What can I do to make the money?

GRIFFIN: He became an accomplice using stolen identities for credit card fraud and laundering checks. Getting caught, he says, opened his eyes to the underside of Houston's Nigerian community.

BONAJO (ph): When I get to this country, most of the people I see -- by the time you count 10 people, six of them are talking about fraud.

(BEGIN GRAPHIC)

Coming to America.

(END GRAPHIC)

GRIFFIN: Nigerian independence day in Houston.

Members of a local organization, the Nigerian Union, are celebrating not only 45 years of freedom from British Colonial rule, but also their new lives in the U.S.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It is a place where you can come and put in honest work and progress. GRIFFIN: Houston has one of the nation's largest Nigerian communities. At least 60,000 by some estimates, and well educated. More than two-thirds are college graduates, a higher rate than their white neighbors. Among the elite, a vascular surgeon, two married professors, a chemical engineer, and Airline Pilot Isaac Agmonyaka (ph).

ISAAC AGMONYAKA (ph), AIRLINE PILOT: The well-educated Nigerians, they do honest jobs, even if it means doing menial jobs to survive.

GRIFFIN: At the same time, U.S. authorities say Nigerian crooks are on the leading edge of financial fraud.

Testifying on Capitol Hill in 1998, an FBI official singled out Houston where, he said, 75 percent of the counterfeiting of checks is due to the Nigerian criminal enterprises.

And more recently, a 2005 State department report, Nigerian criminal organizations subverting international and domestic law enforcement have contributed to an increase in bank fraud, real estate fraught, identity theft and advanced fee fraud.

But community leaders like Agmonyaka (ph), say Nigerians are no worse than any other group.

AGMONYAKA (ph): If you look at the Hispanic people, they are into a lot of worse crimes than Nigerians. They're into drug problems, the Colombians. If you look at the insurance fraud, identity theft, the Asians are into it big time.

GRIFFIN: For years, Nigeria's government has been considered one of the most corrupt in Africa.

One theory is that bribery and dishonesty at home explain what some Nigerians do abroad -- survive by their wits.

BONAJO (ph): So when they get over here, it's not really a big deal for them. Because they're used to already.

GRIFFIN (on camera): Whether or not Nigerian immigrants commit more crimes or worse crimes, the ones who do are a determined bunch.

Consider this, even those who are deported often come back to do it again. The easy money is too good to pass up.

(Voice-over): This man, for example, after being convicted in New York of smuggling heroin from Nigeria, Thomas Muchechu Tiwu (ph) was deported in 1994. Nine years later, Boyden arrested him in a multimillion dollar bank fraud, this time using the name Idowu Ishola. He had come back illegally.

BOYDEN: Several have told me they've across come across from Canada, walked across, or come back through Mexico.

GRIFFIN: Another case. In 1988 Jumoke Awoskia pled guilty to conspiracy in a federal bank fraud case. She, too, was sent back to Nigeria.

Two years later, she sneaked back into the U.S. with a new passport and a new name. But she was up to the same old tricks.

BOYDEN: She used fraudulently obtained credit cards extensively to purchase high-end jewelry.

GRIFFIN (on camera): For herself? Or to pawn it?

BOYDEN: Both.

GRIFFIN (voice-over): Finally, the case if this mystery man.

When Boyden arrested him in 2004, he had more than 40 stolen credit cards and a dozen cell phones to run his scam. But who was he?

He'd been deported to Nigeria in 1983 under the name Kehinal Monsouri Ajavi. He sneaked back as Solomon Adewale Adebanjo, and then took the name Colton Jude Hollier. A federal Judge Stimeed (ph) concluded, his true name is unknown.

BOYDEN: Several people I've interviewed, they can't really remember what name they were born with. They've had such a long range of names, they don't really know who they actually are.

GRIFFIN: Critics of U.S. immigration policy say our borders are porous, open not only to those who want to work here, but also to thieves who rob banks.

FRANK GAFFNEY, CENTER FOR SECURITY POLICY: I think it does amount to an invitation to people to take advantage of our vulnerabilities.

If you continue to refrain from taking steps to correct them, you are basically putting "kick me" sign on your butt. It's that simple.

GRIFFIN: None of these fraudsters, now in prison, responded to our interview requests.

Immigration authorities told us that after they do their time, they will be deported again.

Which brings us full circle to the question, are they likely to come back again?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: As long as they can get into this country, you got to assume they're going to do it. Even when they get caught, prosecuted, jailed. As soon as they get the chance, they're going to get back in the racket again.

:::::END TRANSCRIPT::::::
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by food4tot: 7:28pm On Jun 13, 2006
thanks Drusilla
Re: 40% Us Based Nigerians Criminals by Seun(m): 1:05am On Jun 21, 2006

(1) (Reply)

Nigerian Army Get Into Sambisa Forest Searching For the missing Chibok Girls / Alarming Crime Rate In Lagos / Top 5 Evil Men In History

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.