Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,809 members, 7,945,548 topics. Date: Tuesday, 10 September 2024 at 07:34 PM

Even Obama's Site Is Riddled With Errors - Webmasters (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Even Obama's Site Is Riddled With Errors (1802 Views)

The Site Is For Sale (macketcircle.com.ng ) Is Available For Sale / How To Know The Wordpress Theme A Site Is Using / Guys, Lagbaja's site is the bomb (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Even Obama's Site Is Riddled With Errors by yawatide(f): 6:17pm On Oct 11, 2008
exactly rickky, thanks.

I have worked for a few companies with heavy traffic in my career.  What they have done is studied when they have the least traffic (day and time range) and then do an update during that time.  I have had to be around for deployments as early as 6am and as late as 11pm.  They will put  out such fixes on a few servers, do a quick test to make sure everything is okay and then deploy to the rest of the servers.  Whereby there is an error, the beauty of deploying on a few servers is that not everyone will see it and they immediately roll back the new code and replace it with the old, while fixing whatever the problem might have been. Even CNN has developers in various time zones who can handle deployments, based on what I just stated above, for their respective sub-sites. In fact, they don't deploy on thursdays. How do I know? I interviewed with them and asked them that very question when it was turn to ask questions wink

Lesson of the day: Sure, with the web you can do a deployment every second if you want.  Having said that, wether you are new york times, CNN, Microsoft or Naijasoft, you have to monitor the traffic of your key demographic and then deploy when the traffic for that demographic is at its least.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Does Nairaland Load Faster Than Most Website ? / Unlimited Nigeria Web Hosting, Master An Alpha Reseller Hosting Packages / Am In Need Of Dokan wordpress Multi Seller Plugin * Version 4.x*

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.