Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,168,963 members, 7,873,091 topics. Date: Thursday, 27 June 2024 at 08:00 AM

Fasheun's Romance With The Abachas And Mustapha - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fasheun's Romance With The Abachas And Mustapha (742 Views)

Buhari And Mustapha Jakolo In Medina In 1984 / OPC Sacks Fasheun As President / We Shifted Election Because Jonathan Was Losing--opc Founder, Fasheun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fasheun's Romance With The Abachas And Mustapha by Truequest(m): 7:50pm On Jun 20, 2008
Founder of the Oodua People’s Congress (OPC), Dr. Frederick Fasehun, is receiving knocks from all quarters for playing the role of the advocate of the late Gen. Sani Abacha, and the dictator’s former Chief Security Officer (CSO), Major Hamza Al-Mustapha.

Al-Mustapha is standing trial for the alleged attempted murder of The Guardian newspaper publisher, Chief Alex Ibru, since 1999 and Fasehun has been campaigning for his release. The OPC leader’s seeming self-serving campaign for Al-Mustapha has attracted criticisms and shocked prominent Yoruba leaders whose kith and kin were allegedly killed by the Abacha regime with Al-Mustapha as the henchman of that military dictatorship.Yesterday, Fasehun took his campaign too far when he appeared at the Ikeja High Court where Al-Mustapha is standing trial for alleged attempted murder and was seen conferring with Al-Mustapha

This has prompted many to express concern over Fasehun’s future and the need to save him before he destroys himself.

One of those shocked at this development is Nobel Laureate, Professor Wole Soyinka.

The renowned playwright, in a veiled remark at the presentation of a book titled What A Country! written by Kunle Ajibade, on Wednesday at Muson Centre, said he was shocked that one of us attended the 10th anniversary of the death of Abacha in Kano.

He said he was even more shocked when the person defended his action in an interview he granted a newspaper.

Since then, he said, he has resolved to hire three psychiatrists to watch over him and to call him to order any time his behaviour runs counter to that which is normal and for which he is known for, and to prevent him from making statements publicly whenever they find out that something is wrong with him.

“I recommend this for all of us,” Soyinka said.

Many guests at the book launch did not miss the point Soyinka was making, considering the recent conduct of Fasehun whose organisation (OPC) was at the forefront of the campaign for the actualisation of the 12 June, 1993 presidential election, won by the late M.K.O. Abiola.
Re: Fasheun's Romance With The Abachas And Mustapha by Emma4u2c(m): 11:59am On Jun 21, 2008
The renowned playwright, in a veiled remark at the presentation of a book titled What A Country! written by Kunle Ajibade, on Wednesday at Muson Centre, said he was shocked that one of us attended the 10th anniversary of the death of Abacha in Kano.

He said he was even more shocked when the person defended his action in an interview he granted a newspaper.

Since then, he said, he has resolved to hire three psychiatrists to watch over him and to call him to order any time his behaviour runs counter to that which is normal and for which he is known for, and to prevent him from making statements publicly whenever they find out that something is wrong with him.

“I recommend this for all of us,” Soyinka said.

I think this is playing the ball so far, for goodness sake Dr Fasheun is an adult, a leader and a man of great intellect, who I believe must have good reasons for his actions. After all Prof served in IBB govt on personal conviction.
Re: Fasheun's Romance With The Abachas And Mustapha by Truequest(m): 4:38pm On Jun 21, 2008
I think the point here is what an individual stands for and where he is now. He was famous for starting opc and a crusade to emancipate the south west. I will give him a benefit of doubt at the moment while we watch.

(1) (Reply)

Not Letting Ur Assets Become Liabilities / Who is your best Governor? / Afenifere Condemns Deployment Of Ships To N’delta

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.