Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,183,638 members, 7,921,381 topics. Date: Thursday, 15 August 2024 at 12:51 AM

Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know (20138 Views)

Are You A Recent Graduate With No Work Experience? / Recent Graduate Regrets: Top 10 Career Mistakes Made In College / The Minimum Salary A Wise Graduate Should Not Decline Nowadays. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by ganiyheart(f): 5:47pm On Sep 17, 2013
This post is on point.........

these are wat we need here
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by noxea(f): 6:32pm On Sep 17, 2013
THE OPPORTUNITY

It is estimated that over 197 million youths are unemployed globally and experts predict that this figure would have doubled in the next 10 years if nothing drastic is done.

Unemployment has become a global threat as many rich and powerful politicians engage the youths in nefarious activities. The Arab awakening is just one example of what will happen if the youths are left without hope for the future.

Our desire at Dream Business Club is that all youths should be given the opportunity to express their dreams and to make the best of the energy, passion and skills they possess.

This opportunity should come in form of vocational and entrepreneurial trainings that will equip them with the skills they require to be effective. Dream Business Club has designed a platform which addresses this issue. We equip youths with the requisite skills and also give them the opportunity to earn unlimited income by simply inviting their friends to come and get trained. This model will not only give them the opportunity to be trained and mentored but also put the power in their hands to raise the capital they need to start, expand and grow their businesses to any level of their dreams.

Therefore we invite you to be part of this movement that is restoring the dignities of men and families, a program that is shifting the focus of people from seeking jobs to creating their own enterprises where they can employ others.

SOME OF OUR TRAININGS INCLUDE:

EXPORT
Sourcing for and packaging export products
Bitter Kola export training
Registering your import/export company
Moringa, Gem stone, Sesame seed export training

AGRO FARMING

Poultry Farming
Cat Fish Farming
Rabbit Farming
Pig Farming
Grass cutter Farming
Snail Rearing
Goat Rearing
Sheep Rearing
Cattle Rearing
Honey Production
Live Stock Feed Formulation
Fish Feed Formulation

FARMING
Maize Farming
Millet Farming
Cashew Nut Farming
Avocado Pea
Citrus Plantation

FOOD PRODUCE

Juice Production
Garri Production
Palm Oil Production
Palm Kernel Oil Production
Groundnut Oil Production
Custard Production
Production Of Butter
Beverage Production

FOOD PACKAGING

Biscuit Production
Bread Making
Sausage Roll Production
Cake making

I.T BASED TRAININGS

Laptop Repairs
Software Development
Website Management Training
Blog Creation Seminar
Web Monetization Course
Web Traffic Course
Web Branding Course

SOCIAL MEDIA MONETIZATION PROGRAM

How to Create An Online Store like ( Konga.com)
How To Get Paid For Surveys And Email
How To Get Paid As An Article Writer
How To Get Paid To Sell Pictures Online
How To Get Paid For Uploading Pictures On You Tube

This is not a get rich quick scheme but a means to empower everyone. For more information, visit www.dreambizclub.com or call 08134707069
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by engrhorla(m): 6:54pm On Sep 17, 2013
jesuslovesme123: I
graduated over 5 years ago, have sat in over 10 interviews, worked in 3
continents – I have been the most junior member of a company, I have
risen to be the most senior member (the Head) of a department, I have
interviewed over 40 candidates, hired over 15 candidates and fired 1
employee. I have reviewed over 25 000 CVs (yes, twenty five thousand)
and coached over 20 career seekers. I have worked full-time and studied
full-time simultaneously, to receive an MBA.

A lot of people graduate with great hopes about post-graduation life.
While these hopes can, and hopefully will, be met – they need to realise
that times have changed, and success is no longer as ‘easy’ to achieve
as it was many years ago. For this reason, graduates should arm
themselves with the following observations – things I was forced to
learn based on experience - to prevent disappointment:

1. Getting a degree is a great achievement, but it is only the starting
point. Professional qualifications, skills-enhancement training and
certifications have made the labour market more competitive. The wise
graduates will immediately find ways to enhance their profiles.

2. There will always be far more job seekers than jobs, and not every
graduate will receive an employment offer within their first year of
graduation. The wise graduates will explore (goodly) alternatives right
from the start.This leads to point 3 -

3. Many graduates are in a position to create wealth for themselves, but
most will not, either because they are adamant about getting a
‘suit-and-tie’ job, or because they are waiting for a huge investment to
come in. The wise graduates will start what they can with the little
they have.

4. University education was not primarily designed for job-finding
purposes, so it baffles me when graduates think that the ONLY way
forward after graduation, is to receive an employment offer. Your
university degree is designed to enhance your profile, to increase your
knowledge, skills and world-view – to make you more useful to yourself
and to the world.

5. Graduates need a teflon-coat. The job market and the business world
are both very tough, but through resilience and continued effort,
success is almost guaranteed.

6. It’s not necessarily the brightest and the best that make it to the
top. There are a number of factors / skills that are not taught in the
university or by most career centres, but which influence career
success. These include: likeability, emotional intelligence, tact,
aggressiveness (but not over-aggressiveness) and continuing professional
development.

7. Not every job vacancy actually exists. Some are posted by recruitment
agents to build their candidate database. In our beloved country, some
others are posted by scammers to exploit graduates.

8. Not every job application you make will be seen by the company
(because there will be many other applications). The earlier you apply,
the more likely you are to have your application seen.

9. Your physical appearance (not in terms of beauty but in terms of
neatness, carriage, composure and speech) will many times influence your
career more than other factors. The wise graduates will ensure that
they look their best and act professionally at all times.

10. It would be unwise to look down on any job opportunities. The ‘low’
jobs are only a ladder towards a better job / career.
thanks for this masterpiece. I will like to learn more from you. God bless
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by gloriana(f): 7:49pm On Sep 17, 2013
beau49: Nyc piece u got der @op....m jes bin lazy abt statin sumtin of my own aldough finance is still a major ish#still servin doh.
hi
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 7:55pm On Sep 17, 2013
*following*
OP this post is a very good one. Will be starting my NYSC in november and this information will come very much in handy. God bless you @ op.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 8:02pm On Sep 17, 2013
Thanks everyone, for the comments - I'm glad that anyone found the article useful! It's always great when we can learn from each other...

Thanks also for all the PMs. I have responded to all of them - please check your spam folder if you didn't get my response. God bless you too smiley
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Nobody: 8:09pm On Sep 17, 2013
Saint Chukz: Op...your entire post is on point. With respect to #6 above, as much as i would easily agree with you, it however brings me to the question of the state of our tertiary institutions, what exactly are we taught in our eye-sored institutions that would make us equipped and capable to take on the job market and challenges that comes with it after graduation?

@Saint Chukz - Thank you, and you have made a very good point. Sadly, our tertiary institutions are a huge part of the 'unemployability' issue faced by some in the job market. This is the reason why each person really has to take their destiny into their own hands, and ensure that they acquire the necessary skills & knowledge their tertiary institutions have failed to provide. Many recruiters are fully aware of this issue and admire the candidates who go out of their way to practice some self-development.

1 Like

Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by wandevincent(m): 10:15pm On Sep 17, 2013
jesuslovesme123: I graduated over 5 years ago, have sat in over 10 interviews, worked in 3 continents – I have been the most junior member of a company, I have risen to be the most senior member (the Head) of a department, I have interviewed over 40 candidates, hired over 15 candidates and fired 1 employee. I have reviewed over 25 000 CVs (yes, twenty five thousand) and coached over 20 career seekers. I have worked full-time and studied full-time simultaneously, to receive an MBA.

A lot of people graduate with great hopes about post-graduation life. While these hopes can, and hopefully will, be met – they need to realise that times have changed, and success is no longer as ‘easy’ to achieve as it was many years ago. For this reason, graduates should arm themselves with the following observations – things I was forced to learn based on experience - to prevent disappointment:

1. Getting a degree is a great achievement, but it is only the starting point. Professional qualifications, skills-enhancement training and certifications have made the labour market more competitive. The wise graduates will immediately find ways to enhance their profiles.

2. There will always be far more job seekers than jobs, and not every graduate will receive an employment offer within their first year of graduation. The wise graduates will explore (goodly) alternatives right from the start.This leads to point 3 -

3. Many graduates are in a position to create wealth for themselves, but most will not, either because they are adamant about getting a ‘suit-and-tie’ job, or because they are waiting for a huge investment to come in. The wise graduates will start what they can with the little they have.

4. University education was not primarily designed for job-finding purposes, so it baffles me when graduates think that the ONLY way forward after graduation, is to receive an employment offer. Your university degree is designed to enhance your profile, to increase your knowledge, skills and world-view – to make you more useful to yourself and to the world.

5. Graduates need a teflon-coat. The job market and the business world are both very tough, but through resilience and continued effort, success is almost guaranteed.

6. It’s not necessarily the brightest and the best that make it to the top. There are a number of factors / skills that are not taught in the university or by most career centres, but which influence career success. These include: likeability, emotional intelligence, tact, aggressiveness (but not over-aggressiveness) and continuing professional development.

7. Not every job vacancy actually exists. Some are posted by recruitment agents to build their candidate database. In our beloved country, some others are posted by scammers to exploit graduates.

8. Not every job application you make will be seen by the company (because there will be many other applications). The earlier you apply, the more likely you are to have your application seen.

9. Your physical appearance (not in terms of beauty but in terms of neatness, carriage, composure and speech) will many times influence your career more than other factors. The wise graduates will ensure that they look their best and act professionally at all times.

10. It would be unwise to look down on any job opportunities. The ‘low’ jobs are only a ladder towards a better job / career.
nice one but I disagree with no 4, how can I make myself useful to the world if I don't get an opportunity to do so
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Danieltskaa: 10:20pm On Sep 17, 2013
This advice is timely for me...a 2.1 graduate awaitin service,yea
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by halilu44: 11:41pm On Sep 17, 2013
Just passing by, this thread is not for me
* Dangote's Son*
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by echowords(m): 12:46am On Sep 18, 2013
Thanks for the heads up.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Igholize(m): 7:37am On Sep 18, 2013
Wow ooo... Dis is realy motivating nd educating. Tanx chairman 4 d info. Na man u b
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by repent4christ: 9:02am On Sep 18, 2013
@jesusloveme123, GOD bless u and keep u holy for rapture!
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by repent4christ: 9:06am On Sep 18, 2013
@jesusloveme123, GOD bless u and keep u holy for rapture! Are u single? I have a younger brother wit first class (physics). You have our type of blood. Sha, let the will of GOD be done.
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by clemrot: 4:40pm On Sep 18, 2013
this is the best advice i have ever received ever since i graduated from school.Kudos to the publisher but in actual sense is not easy to float a business in this part on the world especially if you are not from very wealthy family.I think we need government leverage on this
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by Sirex(m): 3:06pm On Sep 19, 2013
Awesome write up
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by houseoftuition: 1:15am On Aug 28, 2014
You can now get Chartered from the comfort of your own house at www.IcanLectures.com.ng Even if you are new to the Curriculum,with no previous knowledge, it is our diligent commitment and promise to you, that nevertheless, YOU WILL PASS.

Stay in the comfort of your home or office and we'll bring you as perfect an understanding as is humanly possible.
Give us a try and see that these are no mere words.

Regards
The IcanLectures.com.ng Team
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by beau49: 11:20am On Dec 07, 2014
gloriana:
hi

You won't believe am just seeing this....lol
Since last year. So sorry
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by gloriana(f): 8:59pm On Dec 08, 2014
beau49:

You won't believe am just seeing this....lol
Since last year. So sorry
yeah, sorry too cos I think d hi has expired. Lol...
Re: Things Every Recent Graduate Should Know by beau49: 9:24pm On Dec 08, 2014
gloriana:
yeah, sorry too cos I think d hi has expired. Lol...

No problem.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which Science Course Can Someone Apply For With D7 In Chemistry / The Tales And Woes Of A Typical Access Bank Teller / Injustice In My Workplace; Should I Return The Money?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.