Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,786 members, 7,875,954 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 04:34 AM

The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne (4298 Views)

"My Husband Uses ‘Aboniki’ Balm As Lubricant" – Woman Files For Divorce / My Husband Runs Away From Having Sexual Intercourse With Me: Wife / This Lady Wouldn't Just Leave My Husband Alone (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 5:37am On Sep 18, 2013
My FIL calls his boy every day for hrs at times. Only God knows what they always discuss. Does it bother me? No. The only problem I had at the beginning was that he don't call me that way too.
I got so jealous that I called him one day and tabled it b4 him!
He just laughed and now, we can chat about anything for ages. THAT IS FAMILY!

Nothing is wrong in calling ur child everyday. Have we forgotten how we can stay all nights chatin with gal/boy friends everyday? Let ur boyfriend mistakenly not call u for a day only and u will start reading him d riot act the moment he calls d next day!
So why will MIL be diff or is it d societal notion dat MILs r bi*tches?

Nawaa o.
Making mountain out of molehill I suppose.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 6:27am On Sep 18, 2013
Ayee Idris:

Maybe it is just me, but I personally don't care if my MIL calls her son everyday. She may be a widow. She may be lonely now that the kids are out of the house. Since we cant teach her to start using the internet and relieve her boredom and calling her son makes her happy, then more grease to them. In the two years that they were married, she has not moved in with them and coming to visit doesn't mean she wont go back. many MILs have self-respect. Some don't, but many do. Now we cannot assume he is discussing marital affairs with his mother. It could be anything. Imagine the scenario. His mother's advice had saved him from major pitfalls in the past. Chances are high that he would value her opinion. Now I am not advocating that he rubs it in his wife's face all the time. Nothing wrong with him claiming his mother's idea as his own and tweaking it to accommodate his wife's suggestion. It takes a smart man to balance the two relationships and a smarter woman to realize that when there is a very close bond between mother and son, she shouldn't look for a way to lessen it or 'cutting the damn cord already' wink but a way to become a part of that bond. That's how I see it sha.

The reference about cutting the cord was directed at the husband, not the wife. He's the one who can lessen the dependency his mother has on him and that he has on his mother, not the wife. According to what you wrote earlier, "[the wife] would tell him to do something. He would ask his mother and she would suggest something else and he would do that", so he's tweaking zilch to accommodate her suggestions but solely going along with what his mother says. We're focusing too much on the mother here. What about the wife? People can be lonely in their own marriages too! I'm more concerned about her because she's the lone ranger. The husband's treatment of his wife could very well be making her lonely. Just last month there was a thread in another section from a wife whose husband refuses to acknowledge her in their home and flat out said she feels alone in her own home. He blatantly ignores her, watches tv, sleeps and plays video games when he's home and refuses to communicate with her or tell her what's going on, even after she tried to get him to open up. To make matters worse, her marriage to him helped him get papers into the country, only for him to be treating her like she doesn't exist now that they're married. Returning back to this situation, the wife needs her husband too and she deserves the right to privacy in her own marriage. She should try and become part of the bond? Like I said earlier, it could be that the MIL herself isn't fond of the wife and not receptive to her for the reasons I've already mentioned (I will not repeat myself). There're many unknowns, but my responses are based on the information you've given.

3 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by veave(f): 6:48am On Sep 18, 2013
i'm not married yet. but cant wait to have a MIL and FILcheesy.
ah! my husband wount know if it was him or me they gave birth to....
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by AyeeIdris(f): 7:08am On Sep 18, 2013
Yield:

The reference about cutting the cord was directed at the husband, not the wife. He's the one who can lessen the dependency his mother has on him and that he has on his mother, not the wife. According to what you wrote earlier, "[the wife] would tell him to do something. He would ask his mother and she would suggest something else and he would do that", so he's tweaking zilch to accommodate her suggestions but solely going along with what his mother says. We're focusing too much on the mother here. What about the wife? People can be lonely in their own marriages too! I'm more concerned about her because she's the lone ranger. The husband's treatment of his wife could very well be making her lonely. Just last month there was a thread in another section from a wife whose husband refuses to acknowledge her in their home and flat out said she feels alone in her own home. He blatantly ignores her, watches tv, sleeps and plays video games when he's home and refuses to communicate with her or tell her what's going on, even after she tried to get him to open up. To make matters worse, her marriage to him helped him get papers into the country, only for him to be treating her like she doesn't exist now that they're married. Returning back to this situation, the wife needs her husband too and she deserves the right to privacy in her own marriage. She should try and become part of the bond? Like I said earlier, it could be that the MIL herself isn't fond of the wife and not receptive to her for the reasons I've already mentioned (I will not repeat myself). There're many unknowns, but my responses are based on the information you've given.

I meant the wife wanting the husband to cut the cord (should have phrased it better). Yea, I completely understand where you are coming from and like you said, there are many unknowns. But how is the mother coming to visit or staying a while depriving her of right to privacy. I can understand a level of resentment if the mother is moving in full time, but if she is coming to stay and bond with her grandchild for a bit, why should the wife be so resistant? Her mother came to stay when she gave birth. The husband could have resisted and insisted that his mother come if he was that much of a mama's boy. I don't see where I wrote that he is treating her badly, other than her belief (which MAY be grossly over exaggerated in her mind. Maybe) that he puts his mother first. No marital situation is perfect I agree that some MILs may be impossible to please. It is a delicate position for a wife to be in any form of competition (real or imagined) with her MIL. Like Judge Judy says "You can have 10 husbands in a lifetime, but you can only have one mother"

1 Like

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by pickabeau1: 7:19am On Sep 18, 2013
Interesting.....
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 7:26am On Sep 18, 2013

2 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by bellong: 7:53am On Sep 18, 2013
I do not understand why anybody will defend the wife in this scenario. Going by the short conversation between the poster and the lady in question here, I can deduce the lady has a lot of issues with myopic view of marriage and relationship.

She has no single concrete evidence of the mother's evil doing towards her except she is cold to her. What an ambiguous statement to make. Nobody knows why the mother is cold to her and if she can't pin point to one bad thing the woman has done, the wife is the wicked fellow in this case. The husband takes to his mother's advice over her. Men are not emotional being who do not look at merit of advices before jumping at one. The fact that you are my wife does not mean I will reject a superior argument and better advice when I see one irrespective of who offers it. That doesn't give the husband excuse to table matters before her mother daily. Only fools reject good counsels based on emotional sentiments.

For two good years, she has nothing tangible against the woman and yet she is very bitter against her coming. She is an ingrate of a wife. She is enjoying her husband but failed to recognise who nurtured him by God's grace to be who he is today that she is happily married to. Some wives need some serious brain and orientation reset. Like I said before, she can continue with her present attitude to the mother-in-law, her daughter-in-law will pay her in same coin with compound interest.

It is because of this, I patiently and diligently chose a good woman with compassion and deep understanding. Not one of the girls of these days who lack depth and are myopic.

1 Like

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Ngokafor(f): 9:06am On Sep 18, 2013
...Some women can be controlling and meddlesome in their their sons affairs no doubt , but @Ayee idris the attitude of the lady in your write is wrong...

...i honestly dont know what the big deal is about being nice and accommodating to one's MIL..is it the food she'll eat or the space she'll occupy FOR A WHILE! that will be the problem?...if i love my husband, isn't it natural to at least like the people he cares about,especially his mum?..except she's a witch or something,there's no way the affection i 'll show her wont be noted by her and even her son....

Besides it will pay off in the end cos i can comfortably cry to her if her son starts giving me small small headache..hoping she'll feel sorry for me and talk sense into his coconut head! grin grin

..at the end of the day,it will be a win-win situation for me abeg...i got no time for unnecessary squables! smiley

3 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Hummingbird: 10:22am On Sep 18, 2013
What some women dnt understand is that you can never take the position of a mother's place in a son's life..my MIL is a cool person bt always cold towards me,I thought she didn't like me at first until I started going closer to her,its her nature,nt that she's holding any grudges against me,she rarely talks to me when am around her,but the moment any of her children comes in,she's still cold,so that's her behaivour...am nt suporting the husband going to his mother like a nursing child seeking for advice everytime,he's grown up and married now,he should stop being the mama's boy and the wife should draw her MIL closer,you can't study people from afar,get closer to her,then you will know her better,do that before you draw conclusions(even she's a bad woman,she's stil ur hubby's mother,you no fit c wia to push her oooo grin

2 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by bellong: 10:55am On Sep 18, 2013
@Op,

Play her this song by Commander Ebenezer Obey... "Iya jiya nitori omo re" (Mothers suffered for their children)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=taIszZVyIKc&list=RD02dwNil2_-XXw
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by okpanachil: 12:32pm On Sep 18, 2013
I have said this before too much of copying the west is what's affecting many of us forgetting that we as Africans have some very good values that even the west appreciates.
Well for me it is simple if she cannot visit me o,every saturday,me I will pack my tins and go and visit them and don't even bother asking me how long I will stay.shikena
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by okpanachil: 12:36pm On Sep 18, 2013
I have said this before too much of copying the west is what's affecting many of us forgetting that we as Africans have some very good values that even the west appreciates.
What is all this percieved tension btw MIL's and DIL's.Women and der wahala.I even heard recently one was telling the MIL that DIL's and MIL's don't relate.DIL's should remember that before long they would also become MIL's o.
Well for me it is simple if she cannot visit me o,every saturday,me I will pack my tins and go and visit them and don't even bother asking me how long I will stay.shikena
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by maclatunji: 1:50pm On Sep 18, 2013
bellong: She is not suffering from clinging syndrome but ignorance and selfishness. She will grow to become a MIL tomorrow. She needs serious help because if she continues this way, her husband will soon get tired of the tantrums against his mother.

No wife should hate their MIL especially when there is no cause to. If her husband cannot share secrets with her, it shows that she is yet to earn her husband's trust. How will she even earn it when she is busy hating on his mother.

That lady is a bad wife for real. May God save us from choosing bad spouses.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 2:20pm On Sep 18, 2013
maclatunji:

That lady is a bad wife for real. May God save us from choosing bad spouses.
Amen o!
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 2:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
bellong: I do not understand why anybody will defend the wife in this scenario. Going by the short conversation between the poster and the lady in question here, I can deduce the lady has a lot of issues with myopic view of marriage and relationship.

She has no single concrete evidence of the mother's evil doing towards her except she is cold to her. What an ambiguous statement to make. Nobody knows why the mother is cold to her and if she can't pin point to one bad thing the woman has done, the wife is the wicked fellow in this case. The husband takes to his mother's advice over her. Men are not emotional being who do not look at merit of advices before jumping at one. The fact that you are my wife does not mean I will reject a superior argument and better advice when I see one irrespective of who offers it. That doesn't give the husband excuse to table matters before her mother daily. Only fools reject good counsels based on emotional sentiments.

For two good years, she has nothing tangible against the woman and yet she is very bitter against her coming. She is an ingrate of a wife. She is enjoying her husband but failed to recognise who nurtured him by God's grace to be who he is today that she is happily married to. Some wives need some serious brain and orientation reset. Like I said before, she can continue with her present attitude to the mother-in-law, her daughter-in-law will pay her in same coin with compound interest.

It is because of this, I patiently and diligently chose a good woman with compassion and deep understanding. Not one of the girls of these days who lack depth and are myopic.

You have said it all. The wife herself said the MIL has not really done anything bad but she is just cold towards her. As the wife said, she does not take rubbish. OP I can bet your friend probably had a troubled family and does not understand the love of family members. May be the wife comes from a broken home or the family had serious issues, or they are all scattered across the world. The MIL has not done anything wrong, she has a right to call her son and she definiely has not been interfering with her son's family as she rarely visits.

Ladies of today just need to realise a few things
1. Some battles are not worth fighting. And even if you win the battle, the cost of victory might be too high. So the number one battle any sane lady should avoid is fighting her MIL. It is unnecessary headache you dont need.
2. Nothing wrong in being humble. Humility is not necessarily stupidity, it is a very wise strategy of getting what you want. Marriage involves humility and so ladies should drop their ego. And this also applies to men as well.
3. There are no perfect people or families. There will always be people with issues in your husband's family, may be his siblings, MIL or FIL. Unfortunately you cannot change these people. As long as they do not insult or trouble you, you should just let them be.
4. The fact that things work differently in your husband's family does not mean it is bad. You should just learn that no two families are alike.

The wife here is being childish and may have some serious background issues. May be her own mother was always at war with her paternal grandmother so she may think that MILs are all bad. But she will leard.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by jokepearl(f): 4:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
Yield:

You are missing the bigger picture, lady. Of course, she can call her son, but calling him everyday is not healthy, like I've said. And it is not normal. She might as well pack her things and come and live in their home since she cannot do without her son. Ironically, your friend's MIL is coming to stay with them for a while too, she just might end up not leaving the house, poor wife. Men, love and respect your mother, always. But once you're married, be a man and have your own life. You have a wife. Communicate with her. When it comes to things pertaining your marriage, don't go running to your mama each time and doing what she says instead, while ignoring your wife's own point of view, like the husband in this case is doing. Mama's boy, pfftt, cut the damn cord already.

I speak to my mum everyday sometimes twice a day. My husband doesn't complain although sometimes he doesn't understand it but never tells me to stop. Is this okay because I am a lady and not ok for a man?

There is nothing wrong with being close to your mum. Being close doesn't automatically mean being in control, the fact that they are close doesn't translate to Mummy being in control (which is totally wrong).

1 Like

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by pickabeau1: 5:28pm On Sep 18, 2013
Lol......will Yield yield?
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 5:51pm On Sep 18, 2013
^Don't misuse my name jor. tongue
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 6:58pm On Sep 18, 2013
Some wives Sha, calling my son ...problem, coming to stay with family, problem... Life is too short to start fighting over irrelevant things. My MIL calls me everyday because she knows the son will not pick her call the next day if she called the previous day cheesy. Do I complain...no. I just pick the call and talk.

Fr him taking his mothers advice, it's not the MIL fault that her son still maintain that trust with her. She should try and build her home and make her husband trust her more. Too much energy doing irrelevant things.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by pickabeau1: 7:05pm On Sep 18, 2013
Yield: ^Don't misuse my name jor. tongue

Hahaha...smile a lil
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Amhappy(f): 9:46pm On Sep 18, 2013
How different this MIL things are for everyone. I always attack hubby about not loving and caring for mine enough. She is so sweet just like my mum. And will definitely be glad if hubby pays her more attention
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 10:10pm On Sep 18, 2013
pickabeau1:

Hahaha...smile a lil

cry cry
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Princesszoe: 10:48pm On Sep 18, 2013
There is nothing wrong in a mother in law visiting her son's house except if she is demonic and i didn't see where sarah mentioned that in the above statements however i agree with yield's posts. Yield, i agree with you completely, at least judging from the cases we have handled concerning homes, you made the best points here.

2 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Silverb(f): 11:11pm On Sep 18, 2013
Yield: "Sarah- She hasn’t done anything per se. You know me. You know I no dey take nonsense. It’s just that she is always so cold to me, she is always calling her son everyday. I would tell him to do something. He would ask his mother and she would suggest something else and he would do that. They are too close for my comfort and it is irritating me. Secrets he should share with me first, he would go and tell his mother first…."

It's kinda disrespectful to the wife for the husband to be consulting his mother every time the wife asks him to do something and he ends up doing whatever his mother says instead! Men who cannot let go of mommy's hands are a no-no. As a husband and a grown man, he should be able to make decisions together with his wife. You're now in partnership with your wife and shouldn't be running back to your mama for everything you gotta do. Things like this always pop up while dating someone and if you know you're not happy with it, then maybe you need to re-evaluate where the r/ship is going. He didn't become a mama's boy overnight, most likely he has always been one and changing him won't be easy.

1 Like

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Silverb(f): 11:12pm On Sep 18, 2013
Yield: "Sarah- She hasn’t done anything per se. You know me. You know I no dey take nonsense. It’s just that she is always so cold to me, she is always calling her son everyday. I would tell him to do something. He would ask his mother and she would suggest something else and he would do that. They are too close for my comfort and it is irritating me. Secrets he should share with me first, he would go and tell his mother first…."

It's kinda disrespectful to the wife for the husband to be consulting his mother every time the wife asks him to do something and he ends up doing whatever his mother says instead! Men who cannot let go of mommy's hands are a no-no. As a husband and a grown man, he should be able to make decisions together with his wife. You're now in partnership with your wife and shouldn't be running back to your mama for everything you gotta do. Things like this always pop up while dating someone and if you know you're not happy with it, then maybe you need to re-evaluate where the r/ship is going. He didn't become a mama's boy overnight, most likely he has always been one and changing him won't be easy.

i agree with u.

2 Likes

Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 8:22pm On Sep 19, 2013

It's not disrespectful in the least. Maybe his mother gives better advice, maybe his mothwr is wiser, maube his mother has a way of convincing him, maybe just maybe. But to just postulate that he dosrespects his wife because he takes advice from his mother is outright dishonesty. Weigh each matter on its meruts, not on sentiments.
Btw, the wife doesn't seem so mature, I'd understand if her husband would seek a second opinion.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 8:28pm On Sep 19, 2013
Yield:

Ah, you have the naija mentality.
Another massive fail. Since the naija mentality isn't good enough, please recommend mentalities to adopt that'll enable us lead wholesome lives.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 8:41pm On Sep 19, 2013
Babynwan:

I reacted to dat post cos of one phrase 'his mum gives better advice than d iyawo'
So what should he do, kill his mother so his wife can be the wisest of them all? Some Snow White inspiration?If his mother gives better advice maybe, his wife should spend more time with her to tap from her wealth of wisdom
Babynwan: if u don't entirely agree with ur wife's advice n run it by mom, u shud bring her (mom) opinion back to ur wife
That's the reasonable thing to do, I agree
Babynwan: as a suggestion not conclusion.
And then you fail. Are you actually suggestong that I go with deficient reasoning because it's supplied by my wife? Incredible, just incredible. Maybe when next my wife tells me to buy aso ebi instead of buying more shares I'll oblige, but again maybe not. Bullshhit is bullshhit, if it aint good enough it aint good enough simple.
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 9:59pm On Sep 19, 2013
Princess zoe: There is nothing wrong in a mother in law visiting her son's house except if she is demonic and i didn't see where sarah mentioned that in the above statements however i agree with yield's posts. Yield, i agree with you completely, at least judging from the cases we have handled concerning homes, you made the best points here.
smiley kiss smiley

Silverb: i agree with u.
smiley kiss smiley
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by drnoel: 7:58am On Sep 20, 2013
She just has an over bloated ego that will definitely get her in trouble with her husbands people if she doesn't change. People, change is the only constant thing in this world so people should learn to use it often
Re: The 'me And My Husband Alone" Sydromne by Nobody: 2:14pm On Sep 20, 2013
God bless you ladies who love and cherish ur mother and and father inlaws, may u be rewarded & love tenfold by ur dauaghter/son inlaws. For those who want to deprive parents of their children, may they be rrepaid tenfold in their own life time by their children & their spouses.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Speak Correct English: All Toothpaste is not Maclean / I Don't Love My Wife Like Before, Advice Needed / World's Biggest Baby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 88
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.