Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,196,944 members, 7,963,001 topics. Date: Monday, 30 September 2024 at 11:12 PM

How Is Divorce Handled In Nigeria ? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Is Divorce Handled In Nigeria ? (613 Views)

All Ladies Looking For Guys To Friendzone, Should Be Handled This Way. Pics: / How I Handled The Babe I Met At Bobo's Place last Saturday / Is Divorce The Only Answer To A Failed Marriage? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Is Divorce Handled In Nigeria ? by mekaboy(m): 1:37pm On Sep 18, 2013
I know in the western world, the offended party makes a threat, files for divorce through their lawyer. Sometimes the other party is begging and saying they can work this out just give this marriage a chance. Sometimes the other party even refuses to sign the divorce papers, which I believe is because of the settlement. I understand that assets are shared by some percentage .

But I wonder if this is the same procedure in nigeria. From what I watch in the movies, the man and the woman fight, the man packs her bags and throws them out of the door. If he is rich he tells the gateman to carry this woman and her belongings outside the gate. The gateman does this to save his job .

Later the womans family comes with some elders to resolve the problem and if it can't be resolved then the marriage is over. Ok let's say those people are not enlightened and are traditional.

What of our celebs, you hear they breakup and end the marriage, I don't hear anything about filling divorce papers or settlements.

Recently funke, the popular actress jenifer, got married and ended it less than a year. I heard the man was comfortable or rich. Did she get any settlement?

Do they just end the marriage like that without settlement? Or the settlement laws don't apply in Nigeria.? Because I know in the western world in some cases the man declares bankruptcy or even transfers ownership of some property to his family members to avoid the wife taking them during the settlement.

Just wondering if the same applies in Nigeria.
Re: How Is Divorce Handled In Nigeria ? by paradoxqueen: 7:54pm On Sep 18, 2013
In the westetn world if a woman is smart she proves where he transferred property and then files for a quiet title and the man is pentalized.
Re: How Is Divorce Handled In Nigeria ? by mekaboy(m): 10:02pm On Sep 18, 2013
paradoxqueen: In the westetn world if a woman is smart she proves where he transferred property and then files for a quiet title and the man is pentalized.

Yes but I am wondering if it happens in Nigeria because marriages end everyday and I never heard of settlement.

(1) (Reply)

15 Reasons Why Couples Fight / Would You Dump Your Fiancé/fiancée If You Are Offered N20 Million? / Funny/bizarre Pet Names You Call Your Spouse

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.