Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,621 members, 7,911,632 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 01:25 PM

Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account (4514 Views)

Refineries To Pay Into Federation Account From 2016 – Kachikwu / Rivers Got N257.6bn From Federation Account Not 56.2, Says Okonjo / Southwest Governors Seek Better Allocation From Federation Account. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 1:04pm On Sep 20, 2013
HNosegbe:

And how did you arrive at that estimate?

Here's mine:

Source

That's an extra N60 billion.

Now tell me whether this is a better option than tasking state governments to take up responsibility by funding their security agencies from their own resources, WITH LOCAL EXPERTISE.

I then wonder how the committee arrived at their figures because the reform is meant to give the police N1.5trillion extra funds in 6 years. If only N60billion will come from federation account per annum, the rest cant obviously come from the 40% share of the private sector.

Your calculation further reinforces the fact that we are indeed a poor country. If all 160million people have for health, roads, education, salaries, railways, security, power,agriculture,etc is a paltry N6trillion, then we'r indeed poor.

My solution to boosting the revenue base of the country is resource control. Let every state have hundred percent control of its human and natural resources and pay taxes to the centre. That way, the 36 states will generate revenue for the federation, more like having 36 families cooking for the federation. This is unlike the present arrangement where only Abuja is generating funds for the federation, more like Abuja trying to cook and feed the whole of Nigeria. That is the root cause of high rate of poverty, unemployment and poor revenue base of Nigeria.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 1:13pm On Sep 20, 2013
^^^

I agree with you on resource control. That's why I'm disappointed that the president hasn't done much to lobby the NASS in this direction.

Also, if states are to assume greater control over their resources, they should also assume greater responsibilities, for instance, in securing lives and property - hence the need for state policing.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by isaco(m): 7:05pm On Sep 20, 2013
Does dis money goes to individual police men or women? No. It end up in d hand of some senior police men n politician dat ll share it.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by taharqa: 7:16pm On Sep 20, 2013
HNosegbe:

And how did you arrive at that estimate?

Here's mine:

Source

That's an extra N60 billion.

Now tell me whether this is a better option than tasking state governments to take up responsibility by funding their security agencies from their own resources, WITH LOCAL EXPERTISE.

You may be right, and I wrong. I probably got my calculation, abi na estimate, wron. Thnks mush grin
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Nobody: 8:10pm On Sep 20, 2013
HNosegbe: ^^^

I agree with you on resource control. That's why I'm disappointed that the president hasn't done much to lobby the NASS in this direction.

Also, if states are to assume greater control over their resources, they should also assume greater responsibilities, for instance, in securing lives and property - hence the need for state policing.
That can only happen through a national conference. Its impossible for such law to pass through either the NASS or state houses of assembly. GEJ would not even dare mention it, otherwise the WHOLE of the north will turn against him.
Re: Police To Get Extra 1% From Federation Account by Dpeacemaker101: 9:45pm On Sep 20, 2013
This is actually a good news for the police, so that we can put an end to their corrupt practices. Nice one FG

(1) (2) (Reply)

ANIMALS:Boko Haram Now Using Young Girls To Smuggle Guns Into Maiduguri (pix) / First Muslim Mayor Of London Gets Kicked Out Of Office / Photos: Inside Africa's Richest Man Dangote's $30m Abuja Mansion

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.