Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,872 members, 7,980,038 topics. Date: Sunday, 20 October 2024 at 12:49 AM

Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) - Religion (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) (66288 Views)

The Non-Christian Chatbox ( sticky ) / The Christian Chatbox ( sticky) / Questions? Comments? Complaints? Talk To The Moderators Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (96) (Go Down)

Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 5:32am On Oct 13, 2013
This is not a chit-chat

I unfollowed this thread for a while and decided to hold back on making suggestions and helping out in proffering solutions to some ish with the section and members publicly because I felt the mods needed time to adjust to their new roles without someone breathing down their necks.

The time of 'grace', where the mods were seen as babies has come and gone, now is the time for each mod to act responsibly in line with their 'calling' and as such I will not fail to speak up whenever I feel the need, as long as it is well within the rules of this thread i.e making complaints, suggestions and helping out with solutions, all for the greater good of the section.

Having said that, I believe we should start making plans for the end of the year activities e.g Awards night, get together etc I am of the opinion that it is time for us to set-up various committees to plan these activities. I really want this year to be different, hence the need to plan ahead. It's time to brainstorm.
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 5:51am On Oct 13, 2013
texanomaly:

I think he's joking...isn't he?

I hope he is joking......
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 6:22am On Oct 13, 2013
This is not a chit-chat

Ajibam: @psky....you were right,the chatboxes is enough....
i consent to your opinions,it shall be unsticked....

thanks

Guy the above is quite impressive and it shows that you are indeed a mod who is ready to listen to REASON...However, I am of the view that your decision to unsticky that thread was a bit hasty.

I believe firmly that any member who wants his or her complaints adhered to MUST provide irrefutable reason why he or she should be taken seriously in the first place. This is the Religion section, we don't just bow to pressure because someone feels aggrieved. There should be Reason and the Reason MUST be good.

I quite understand the 'beef' of psky but his complaint:

psky: Please why are there so many unnecessarily stickied threads in the religion section?

The one by Mr. Ajibam has not even been posted on since the 1st of September. Or is it a privilege for every mod to have at least one thread stickied? undecided

I thought the threads had to merit their positions first.

You guys should please be objective with this. Threads that are clearly not being given attention by nairalanders, even with all the help you are giving it should be removed.

lacked the much needed 'Reason' to be accepted, imo...because:

1) @Underlined: The relevance of a sticky is not just about the numbers of posts in it. It goes beyond that and Aji's sticky lacked posters because it was not 'visible'.

2) @Bold-black: Nothing wrong if a mod wants to have his/her foot print on the section he/she moderated in. It's a good thing and some sought of a legacy, though selfish. But I don't have any ish with the selfish motive if the sticky thread serves a very important purpose and Aji's thread can be important if we make it work.

3) @Bold-blue: I am not sure of the yardstick psky used in assessing 'merit' but I believe a sticky thread need not 'merit' its position by way of number of posts but by Relevance. The question now is: Is the new members thread relevant? The answer is a yes but we might still ask if it is needed? Anyways, I think it is a 'good to have'.

4) @Bold-Green: I agree with psky here but we would have to define what it means to give attention to a thread. Do we unsticky a thread if folks refuse to make use of it? E.g do we unsticky the Reference library thread whenever it becomes 'dormant'? The answer is NO!!! A thread can be relevant as a sticky without much activity in it.

5) Bold-Red: I am of the view that what psky's post or complaint needed was basically to address this bit, give plausible reasons why Aji's sticky deserves a place and let psky give counter reasons why it does not and if his counter measure is inadequate, then we allow Aji's sticky to fly.

6) Having 5 sticky is not too much, imo. Anyways, seun should standardize this. Some other sections have close to 7 sticky threads if not more. Seun should let the mods know how many is too much and apply it across board, safe for one or two exceptions. This should solve this ish.

I support the suggestion made by Musky (sorry dude 'amanf...' is not cute)...the chat threads can become one. For me, I think it is ideal but the ish here is, it might not work.
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 6:25am On Oct 13, 2013
This is not a chit-chat

Alfa Seltzer:

Where did you get the bolded from? Wait till HGB wakes up from her slumber and activate the hide posts button.

HumbledbYGrace: Bring your complaints here....the original thread has been tempered with and until that is solved please bear with us.

Thanks.

Unlike the old thread, this will be only for complaints, solutions and suggestions, we have chatrooms for chitchats, any offtopic will hidden.
https://www.nairaland.com/1447917/religion-complaints-thread-sticky#18266380

My posts have been within the rules. Hiding any would mean going against the rules.
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by psky: 8:24am On Oct 13, 2013
Ajibam: @psky....you were right,the chatboxes is enough....
i consent to your opinions,it shall be unsticked....

thanks

Thanks! smiley
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by psky: 9:13am On Oct 13, 2013
striktlymi: This is not a chit-chat

Guy the above is quite impressive and it shows that you are indeed a mod who is ready to listen to REASON...However, I am of the view that your decision to unsticky that thread was a bit hasty.

I believe firmly that any member who wants his or her complaints adhered to MUST provide irrefutable reason why he or she should be taken seriously in the first place. This is the Religion section, we don't just bow to pressure because someone feels aggrieved. There should be Reason and the Reason MUST be good.

I quite understand the 'beef' of psky but his complaint:

lacked the much needed 'Reason' to be accepted, imo...because:

1) @Underlined: The relevance of a sticky is not just about the numbers of posts in it. It goes beyond that and Aji's sticky lacked posters because it was not 'visible'.

2) @Bold-black: Nothing wrong if a mod wants to have his/her foot print on the section he/she moderated in. It's a good thing and some sought of a legacy, though selfish. But I don't have any ish with the selfish motive if the sticky thread serves a very important purpose and Aji's thread can be important if we make it work.

3) @Bold-blue: I am not sure of the yardstick psky used in assessing 'merit' but I believe a sticky thread need not 'merit' its position by way of number of posts but by Relevance. The question now is: Is the new members thread relevant? The answer is a yes but we might still ask if it is needed? Anyways, I think it is a 'good to have'.

4) @Bold-Green: I agree with psky here but we would have to define what it means to give attention to a thread. Do we unsticky a thread if folks refuse to make use of it? E.g do we unsticky the Reference library thread whenever it becomes 'dormant'? The answer is NO!!! A thread can be relevant as a sticky without much activity in it.

5) Bold-Red: I am of the view that what psky's post or complaint needed was basically to address this bit, give plausible reasons why Aji's sticky deserves a place and let psky give counter reasons why it does not and if his counter measure is inadequate, then we allow Aji's sticky to fly.

6) Having 5 sticky is not too much, imo. Anyways, seun should standardize this. Some other sections have close to 7 sticky threads if not more. Seun should let the mods know how many is too much and apply it across board, safe for one or two exceptions. This should solve this ish.

I support the suggestion made by Musky (sorry dude 'amanf...' is not cute)...the chat threads can become one. For me, I think it is ideal but the ish here is, it might not work.

First of all, thanks for colouring my post, it looks much more attractive now.

Now, the beef you think beef I have for the guy is non-existent. In the thread about him giving a month long ban I spent most of the time cracking jokes and arguing with the guy he banned. Yes I did not like the taste of his post when he said the ban was just a warning, but that did not create any beef. I was absolutely objective here and got really annoyed only because I thought the thread stuff was unfair.

If anyone was being biased between the two of us, it would definitely not be me.

1) What do you mean by the thread is not visible? It's the most visible thing around. Anyway for some threads, like amanfrommars thread, I could understand it not being about posts. His thread is mainly for reference. But Ajibam's thread calls for participation. And if it hadn't gotten that since the 1st of September then you really have to question it's relevance.

2) Did you see the analogy with my secondary school? A new principal, a new uniform. What's the legacy there when it's only going to last for as long as you last. The mod after you will probably give some silly excuse and replace it with his own. And did you really read what you wrote? You don't have any problem with the selfish motive and you can make the thread important? No man, it's should not be about making sticky threads important but about making important threads stickied. And you should always have a problem with a selfish motive.

3) Like you said we can ask, but I do not think it is relevant. The chat threads can serve the purpose of welcoming. You do not need an extra thread to do that.

4) Please tell me how a sticky thread can be relevant without much activity in it? And by activity I mean both posts and views. And while you are doing that also tell me why threads are stickied in the first place.

5) And if Ajibam's reasons are inadequate, we allow his thread to walk, walk away that is.

6) Agreed
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Enigma(m): 10:01am On Oct 13, 2013
Comment and Suggestion

@ HBG, Ajibam & Obadiah777

1. I think that one of the first lessons you need to learn and imbibe as moderators is: never come to the forum and discuss openly what you have debated in private --- even when you disagreed.

For example, HBG should have simply said "the moderators decided to sticky the Welcome thread and we'll see how it goes". You should never have said or indicated it is 2-1; (EDIT) and both Obadiah and Ajibam should have invited her to the backroom after her comment rather than fuel the fire. This is called 'collective responsibility'. Only in exceptional or important circumstances should you depart from this approach.

2. As for the stickies, here is my own recommendation:
- what ever you do, the Christian Chat thread must remain a sticky; it is the only thread that earned its place as a sticky even without asking or without any campaign; the former Mods realised its popularity and unilaterally decide to sticky it.
- The Religion Complaints thread should also remain a sticky because of its utility. I suggest it should be retitled the 'Religion Complaints and Suggestions Thread'.
- All the other stickies can go! The non-Christian Chat thread is essentially just occupying space; the Religion Section Library Reference or whatever is also just occupying space, how many people actually bother to use it or even know it is there or its purpose? As one poster said, the search box is a far more effective tool than the 'Reference thread'! The reference thread is no better or more useful than a couple of existing threads on memorable quotes etc.

Well, these are just the views of 'an elderly statesman' who really should be retiring from here.

smiley
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 10:20am On Oct 13, 2013
This is not a chit-chat = friendly conversation about things that are not very important...link

psky:
1) What do you mean by the thread is not visible? It's the most visible thing around. Anyway for some threads, like amanfrommars thread, I could understand it not being about posts. His thread is mainly for reference. But Ajibam's thread calls for participation. And if it hadn't gotten that since the 1st of September then you really have to question it's relevance.

Not visible in the sense that it was un-stickied. I agree that the thread thrives on perticipation but there have been some level of activity since it became visible again: https://www.nairaland.com/1411899/new-members-introduce-yourselves-sticky/1#18779423

psky:
2) Did you see the analogy with my secondary school? A new principal, a new uniform. What's the legacy there when it's only going to last for as long as you last. The mod after you will probably give some silly excuse and replace it with his own. And did you really read what you wrote? You don't have any problem with the selfish motive and you can make the thread important? No man, it's should not be about making sticky threads important but about making important threads stickied. And you should always have a problem with a selfish motive.

I never said the bold...those are your words.

Anyways, I don't have any ish with the selfish motive when it is geared towards meeting the need(s) of others. We are all selfish when we look at it critically. Those who preach do so because they want to make Heaven, folks in paid employment, work because they want to get paid, an entrepreneur saddled with the responsibility of need identification and satisfying same, do so because he/she wants to earn profit...it goes on.

So personally, if Ajibam wants to satisfy his God-given instinct to be 'selfish' but does so such that the need(s) of the section is (are) met adequately, then I have no ish with it. What is important here is whether or not the section gains from whatever any member brings forth. Aji's thread satisfies a number of needs:

a) Gives new members a sense of belonging.
b) When new members feel that they are noticed, they would want to come back and probably invite their friends too which helps the section to grow.
c) It helps the mods keep tab on plausible reasons why some members leave after some time with a view to understand their needs and help meet these needs where possible.

psky:
3) Like you said we can ask, but I do not think it is relevant. The chat threads can serve the purpose of welcoming. You do not need an extra thread to do that.

Very good point but the chat threads are member-driven not 'admin'-driven. Aji's thread could give new members that added feel of being welcomed to this section by the Admin.

psky:
4) Please tell me how a sticky thread can be relevant without much activity in it? And by activity I mean both posts and views. And while you are doing that also tell me why threads are stickied in the first place.

I believe you would have followed the link to the thread and confirmed that there is some activity in it, even after it was un-stickied.

psky:
5) And if Ajibam's reasons are inadequate, we allow his thread to walk, walk away that is.

If his response are inadequate and you feel the need to get a redress then you take it up with the super-mods.
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Nobody: 10:35am On Oct 13, 2013
This is not a chit-chat

Enigma: Comment and Suggestion

@ HBG, Ajibam & Obadiah777

1. I think that one of the first lessons you need to learn and imbibe as moderators is: never come to the forum and discuss openly what you have debated in private --- even when you disagreed.

For example, HBG should have simply said "the moderators decided to sticky the Welcome thread and we'll see how it goes". You should never have said or indicated it is 2-1; (EDIT) and both Obadiah and Ajibam should have invited her to the backroom after her comment rather than fuel the fire. This is called 'collective responsibility'. Only in exceptional or important circumstances should you depart from this approach.

The above suggestion is a very good one and I support it.

Enigma:
2. As for the stickies, here is my own recommendation:
- what ever you do, the Christian Chat thread must remain a sticky; it is the only thread that earned its place as a sticky even without asking or without any campaign; the former Mods realised its popularity and unilaterally decide to sticky it.
- The Religion Complaints thread should also remain a sticky because of its utility. I suggest it should be retitled the 'Religion Complaints and Suggestions Thread'.
- All the other stickies can go! The non-Christian Chat thread is essentially just occupying space; the Religion Section Library Reference or whatever is also just occupying space, how many people actually bother to use it or even know it is there or its purpose? As one poster said, the search box is a far more effective tool than the 'Reference thread'! The reference thread is no better or more useful than a couple of existing threads on memorable quotes etc.

Well, these are just the views of 'an elderly statesman' who really should be retiring from here.

smiley

- 'Religion Complaints and Suggestions Thread' sounds good.

- The 'Reference thread' is cool and a number of members are ready to monitor it but there might be a need to have it locked only to be opened when it needs to be updated in order to avoid any 'abuse' e.g derailers.

- At least a chat-thread. If it must be one, then let it be tagged: General Religion chat thread' just like the one Alfa opened some time ago.

- Welcome thread is not bad though the need is in doubt.
Re: Religion Complaints Thread (sticky) by Enigma(m): 10:38am On Oct 13, 2013
^^^ It does not matter to me which threads the Mods choose to be sticky; it is their prerogative.

My post was a suggestion. The Mods can be expected to make their decision based on what considerations they think important. smiley

cool

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (96)

One Word For This Pastor. Picture. / Igbos Should Go & Sit Down,Biafra Dead & Buried, Not Achievable: Apostle Suleman / Demystifying Evolution! Exposing It And Its Fraud!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.