Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,180,484 members, 7,911,138 topics. Date: Monday, 05 August 2024 at 05:19 AM

Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West (2040 Views)

Now I Believe That No One Quits Nairaland, I Caught Barcanista, See Screenshot / FT Says Africa Does Not Exist; Zuma - SA: Dont Think Like "Africans" / There Is Hope For Nigeria If Other Governors Think Like This. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 9:44am On Jun 24, 2008

landis (m)
Right Here

Anywho, I do know that China has gained so much from this war as well, so has India. Should we then conclude that China was in on the war as well? I mean China and India happen to be some of the first to get oil deals from this war.

you still don't see the Big Picture!!!

who are the Big Manufacturer in China?? US companies

who are the major consumers of China goods?? US people

The energy to drive china is the same that produce those goods.

Even Germany that pretends not be on-board provided the 'MAP for Sadam Bunkers' and their company making money in US.

It is all woven together.  It is all same reason they asked OBJ pay $18billion and they will forget the rest of our debt.

I wish we could think like the WEST: Maximise benefit anywhere, everywehere.

Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by abdurrazaq(m): 9:58am On Jun 24, 2008
I think what landis was saying was that we (Nigerian Government) should start looking for benefits in everything even at the expense of others happiness because, that is what the west do. But trust the African leaders (especially the idiots that rule Nigeria from time to time) they will rather suck Nigeria dry at the expense of Nigerians
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 2:08pm On Jun 24, 2008
Thinking, reasoning, progressive ideas, intellectual disscuss or beautiful ideas is/are not peculiar to any tribe, nation or race be it black or white. knowledge is in abundance for all that seek it.

Any attempt to idolize the white man or promote neo-colonialist ideas in the name of worldbank, imf, or foreingn aids or watever is unpatriotic, intellectually bankrupt, morally debauchive, socially unjustifiable and a reflection of inherent inferiority complex, mentality and aura of thinking. not forgeting hypocrisy.
The ills of nigeria as a nation be it corruption, injustice, underdevelopment, poverty and lack of infastructure are not peculiar to nigeria at this time or in the past. instances or nations that have expirienced similar problems and now have a good tale to tell, applied knowledge with homegrown solutions derived from guts at the detriment of all "other things".

from the uk to the us, switzerland to dubai, saudi arabia to japan, they all have elements of corruption and underdevelopment. this may not be prevalent like ours because of their positive image projection campaign that cost billions of dollars/pounds. but there is an element of greed in every human being. the diffrence btw their corruption n that of nigeria is dat theirs does not invariably prevent the common man from recievin certain social and basic benefits but our own brand of corruption is a winner takes all approach. notin makes the whiteman special and or unique, notin makes him more intelligent. he only attained civilisation earlier and used it to his benefits, nonetheless he still has his problems.

there are home made suggested solutions already in nigeria and beautiful progresive, intellectually driven ideas are being proposed daily in nigeria within the corridors of power. what is however lacking is the will to aggressivly implement them, this the whiteman cannot do for us. we need a revolutionarily driven followership that will stand up to propagate what they believe in. but who is ready? and who will lead?

I refuse to tink like a whiteman, I choose to tink as an intellectual.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Blatant: 2:11pm On Jun 24, 2008
noetic:

we need a revolutionarily driven followership that will stand up to propagate what they believe in. but who is ready? and who will lead?

I refuse to think like a whiteman, I choose to think as an intellectual.

Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 2:31pm On Jun 24, 2008
Thinking, reasoning, progressive ideas, intellectual disscuss or beautiful ideas is/are not peculiar to any tribe, nation or race be it black or white. knowledge is in abundance for all that seek it.

Any attempt to idolize the white man or promote neo-colonialist ideas in the name of worldbank, imf, or foreingn aids or watever is unpatriotic, intellectually bankrupt, morally debauchive, socially unjustifiable and a reflection of inherent inferiority complex, mentality and aura of thinking. not forgeting hypocrisy.
The ills of nigeria as a nation be it corruption, injustice, underdevelopment, poverty and lack of infastructure are not peculiar to nigeria at this time or in the past. instances or nations that have expirienced similar problems and now have a good tale to tell, applied knowledge with homegrown solutions derived from guts at the detriment of all "other things".

from the uk to the us, switzerland to dubai, saudi arabia to japan, they all have elements of corruption and underdevelopment. this may not be prevalent like ours because of their positive image projection campaign that cost billions of dollars/pounds. but there is an element of greed in every human being. the diffrence between their corruption n that of nigeria is that theirs does not invariably prevent the common man from recievin certain social and basic benefits but our own brand of corruption is a winner takes all approach. notin makes the whiteman special and or unique, notin makes him more intelligent. he only attained civilisation earlier and used it to his benefits, nonetheless he still has his problems.

there are home made suggested solutions already in nigeria and beautiful progresive, intellectually driven ideas are being proposed daily in nigeria within the corridors of power. what is however lacking is the will to aggressivly implement them, this the whiteman cannot do for us. we need a revolutionarily driven followership that will stand up to propagate what they believe in. but who is ready? and who will lead?

Absolutely on point!
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 2:33pm On Jun 24, 2008
but who is ready? and who will lead?

That's the big question.
Nobody is willing or sincere or dedicated or bold enough to lead the crusade.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by landis(m): 2:40pm On Jun 24, 2008
we need a revolutionarily driven followership that will stand up to propagate what they believe in. but who is ready? and who will lead?

you still missing the BIG picture.

how come WEST can get these done and we are asking who will lead, who is ready?

thinking like WEST does not mean you become whiteman but understand how to maxmise benefit your people.

WEST sample:
Germany caused the worst war in recent times for same WEST. Yet US have about 100 nuclear war-heads stored in that country.

African sample:
Nigeria is not willing to allow IGBO president simply because they 'started'/'mastermind' Biafra war.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 2:42pm On Jun 24, 2008
landis:

thinking like WEST does not mean you become whiteman but understand how to maxmise benefit your people.

WEST sample:
Germany caused the worst war in recent times for same WEST. Yet US have about 100 nuclear war-heads stored in that country.

African sample:
Nigeria is not willing to allow IGBO president simply because they 'started'/'mastermind' Biafra war.

Someone tell me I am dreaming. Is this the same @landis? He is speaking my language here. This is what I have been preaching on Nairaland from day one. At what point did you move from the conspiracy line of thought to acknowledging that we have much to gain from the west.
I definitely agree that in the end, it is all about benefits. That has always been the essence of relationships—be it between countries or persons. Each person comes in to gain. In today’s situation, the World outside of Africa seems to understand that quite clearly. The West’s approach is only more pronounced. In all of history, it has essentially been the same practice; people going out to other lands to search for materials to help build their own; From the Romans, Greeks, as well as old empires of Africa, going to foreign lands for skilled labor, minerals and spices, something we mostly attribute today, to the West and the West alone, for no logical reason. I am happy you are at least not a lost cause in all this anti-west nonsense. shocked shocked
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 2:52pm On Jun 24, 2008
landis:

how?

so u proposing calling britain to re-colonise us abi?

no. that undrstanding cannot be obtained by tinkin like a whiteman. It is obtainable from knowledge. no western nation wants ur progress at the detriment of theirs.
maximising benefits for ur people does not neccessarily require u to b a genius of to tink like a white man. using ur intellectual abilities and a blend of home made solutions is enuf.

WEST sample:
whats ur point?

African sample:
who cares if the president is ibo or ibibio? as long as basic amenities are available including food security and empowerment.

obasanjo a yoruba man governed nigeria for 8 years, yet he masterminded the phsycological toture of the people of oyo state for 8 years. of what benefit was his presidency to the yorubas or the nation at large?

goodluck to u in ur search for an ibo president. odili, egwu, anyim, kalu r ur potential candidates.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by landis(m): 3:25pm On Jun 24, 2008
WEST sample:

whats your point?

Many US/EU died to stop Germany in 1945 yet they kept 'nuclear weapons' with same Germany.

Dont you see that:   WEST will work together since they have no FIXED enermy but FIXED interest(benefit).

Germany did not openly  support Iraqi war but they provided all the 'maps of saddam bunckers' to US since they built them.

That's thinking like WEST.

Someone tell me I am dreaming. Is this the same @landis?  He is speaking my language here

I am not anti-west. And no where in my post did i say that. Plus I make my money in the WEST

All I am saying: WEST will do anything for their benefit. It is dog eat dog world but will are too gullible.

They are supporting 'cry baby' MDC not because they love them or love ZIM but to get maximum benefit from this lovely land Zimbabwe.

5yrs down the road, if MDC cannot give them benefits and Mugabe is alive and ready to give them, they will support him again.
grin cheesy grin
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 3:33pm On Jun 24, 2008
landis:

WEST sample:

Many US/EU died to stop Germany in 1945 yet they kept 'nuclear weapons' with same Germany.

Dont you see that: WEST will work together since they have no FIXED enermy but FIXED interest(benefit).

Germany did not openly support Iraqi war but they provided all the 'maps of saddam bunckers' to US since they built them.

That's thinking like WEST.

I am anti-west. And no where in my post did i say that.

All I am saying: WEST will do anything for their benefit. It is dog eat dog world but will are too gullible.
They are supporting 'cry baby' MDC not because they love them or love ZIM but to get maximum benefit from this lovely land Zimbabwe.

5yrs down the road, if MDC cannot give them benefits and Mugabe is alive and ready to give them, they will support him again.
grin cheesy grin

I know it is a dog eat dog world, from the very streets of Ajegunle, to the high-rises in NY, this seems to be the basic trend when it comes to how we as humans interact with each other. And supporting those who will benefit you is not just western behavior or in any way a WEST-ONLY case.
So, if you really believe all this, why then do you go on and on, pointing out this fact when speaking of the west when you know it is not new and is to be expected, no matter where you are??
I happen to be one of those who considers you to be of the anti-west crowd in here cause you go on and on about how evil the west is in their dealings with other countries, but you do not seem to apply the same ruling when a non-west example of the very same is given. For example, if china was involved in a case with the west, you are more likely to overlook china’s involvement but are quick to hone in on the west and put them up on the cross to be crucified over and over. I see that as a double-standard. We all knowing doing all you can to fend for your own is not new. it is nothing new and it is what we as humans all do at the base level. We go into the neighbor’s house, business to make money so we can bring it home to feed our own. Do you see what I mean??
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 4:23pm On Jun 24, 2008
I guess, landis point is, west only gets themselves involved with things that will directly or indirectly benefit them at the end of the day. And he (landis) wonders why Nigeria could not also follow this same  pattern of behavior.

FYI:
Believe it or not, Nigerian politicians are already following this pattern of behavior, the only difference is that the energy (negative or positive) is being applied inside Nigeria and the benefit is also coming directly from inside Nigeria.
Therefore the politicians (leaders) are directly exploiting Nigeria instead of exploiting other nations for an outcome that would be advantageous directly to Nigeria as a country.

We must keep in mind that just because the WEST is getting away with this unique strategy doesn't mean it is right. You can get away with murder for sometime, but you must also be ready to face the repercussion when your strategy starts to backfire. (hello, Iraq war).
Moreover, what is perfect for Peter might not be appropriate for Paul.
Therefore, instead of trying to follow the west, I think we (Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo) should come together as one and discover an effective method to restore things in Nigeria.
And by the way, implementing a solid revolutionarily driven followership that will stand up to propagate what they believe in is absolutely not a bad idea; but the question remains thesame: Who is willing to lead?
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by morpheus24: 4:49pm On Jun 24, 2008
noetic:

from the uk to the us, switzerland to dubai, saudi arabia to japan, they all have elements of corruption and underdevelopment. this may not be prevalent like ours because of their positive image projection campaign that cost billions of dollars/pounds. but there is an element of greed in every human being. the diffrence between their corruption n that of nigeria is that theirs does not invariably prevent the common man from recievin certain social and basic benefits but our own brand of corruption is a winner takes all approach. notin makes the whiteman special and or unique, notin makes him more intelligent. he only attained civilisation earlier and used it to his benefits, nonetheless he still has his problems.

Eloquently put. I think all the Western c#%k suckers should learn a thing or two from the above Observation. The WEST did not create progress. Its manifestation depends on the approach and definition one attributes to its meaning.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 4:59pm On Jun 24, 2008
If 70% of Nigerian population (Hausa, Yoruba and Igbo) could just come together as one and focus on one objective (which is to recapture the nation), I think sky is the limit; the leaders will have no other choice but to step aside.
But the problem here is the size of the country and the ethnicity issues withing the country. These factors clearly make things a little bit more difficult.
Therefore, until Nigerians are willing to accept one another and respect each other, our leaders will continue to exploit our defectiveness to the max and 20% of the population will continue to get richer and smiling at the same time,

Nigerians represent the obstacles blocking the progress of Nigeria. And we all have the key to the birth of a new Nigeria, but we're not willing to realize it.
Absolutely, no need to follow the west.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 3:42pm On Jun 26, 2008
Big B1:

Nigerians represent the obstacles blocking the progress of Nigeria. And we all have the key to the birth of a new Nigeria, but we're not willing to realize it.
Absolutely, no need to follow the west.
seconded
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 1:44am On Jun 27, 2008
Again, Thinking like the west currently does, or even china and dubai have adopted in recent years is not same as following west/china/dubai. It is simply applying what works to get us to where we want to be rather than going around and around the same fire and complaining that it continues to burn.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 12:57pm On Jun 27, 2008
Again, Reasoning on the part of knowledge is the prefarable option, regardless of race and applying it to ur particular situation. In other words u r intellectually propagatin progressive ideas to move d nation forward but putting into consideration the traditions and diversity of ur present environment.

for instance can we say because the chinese were able to liberate about 450m people from d trenches of poverty, can we because of that choose to practice communism?

can we say because saudi arabia and dubai are fast developing countries, can we then choose to apply their outdated, antideluvian, inhuman sharia law in nigeria. and the same goes to the west. a succesful application of a policy there does not mean it is best used everywhere. this explains y the british use a parliamentary and a monarchy system and the americans use a presidential approach and the swiss use an inexplicable system of power. the rallying factor is intellectualism, but each is distinct.

attempts at cabon-copying western ideas, practices,policies and programmes have failed in nigeria. not because they arent good enuf intellectually. but because they are not applicable and practicable in a diverse and distinct society like ours.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 1:17pm On Jun 27, 2008
Absolutely right on point!
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by landis(m): 1:59pm On Jun 27, 2008
attempts at cabon-copying western ideas, practices,policies and programmes have failed in nigeria.

you missed again the point.

thinking like WEST does not mean copying their ideas.

It means: in any situation seek benefit for your people. How you do it depends on your style.

Nig: what benefit did we get or set to get when we supported ANC during apartheid?

So for each action we take; what is benefit for NIGERIANS: thats thinking like WEST.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 2:04pm On Jun 27, 2008
landis:

It means: in any situation seek benefit for your people. How you do it depends on your style.

what have we been sayin all along?

Nig: what benefit did we get or set to get when we supported ANC during apartheid?
ur opinion is unfortunate
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 3:07pm On Jun 27, 2008
Applying what works is not same as stripping yourself of your culture and traditions. Two completely different things here.  Did the Chinese in any way have to loose culture to make things work as they have seen it work in the west?? I don't get it??

We have NEVER really attempted to copy that which works in the WEST, NEVER. Please let us get things right here. At no time has Nigeria actually embarked on copying what works in the west cause if we had, it would extra simple to do. We only claim we try but cause of the corrupt leaders we have, we are quick to conclude it never worked.  If you really believe we have attempted to do things well, can you give me just one good example.

Look at Singapore today, that nation is becoming the BioWorld of today, How?? Copy and Paste. But What about the culture and traditions in that country?? Remains the same.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 7:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
I m tempted to ask that what really works in the west that has not been importd to nigeria and has worked ?

Even the british in colonizing nigeria, attempted originality. They created a regional system of government, where the developmental process created healthy economic rivalry for the advancement of democracy. this form of government is not prevalent in d world.
did this regional system not work? must we now use the american presidential system?
it works in america but it has breeded godfathers and sons in nigeria.

Iwu borrowed the western electronic voting system, u saw d disaster. even in london here, voting by post(i.e postal mail) was used during the last mayoral election just to accomodate the societal diversity which reflects illitracy n inconvinience.

where do u think policies like the universal basic education of obasanjo originate from? y were rural communities not put into consideration or y are they not beneficiaries?
the concept of privatisation? is that not the foothpath of capitalism promoted by the west? was atiku's privatisation not a disaster?

the continuos capitalist traits of tendering and awarding all government projects in form of contracts has breeded corrupt moguls and institutions like julius berger, aliko dangote to name a few. thus widening the gap between d rich and d poor.
capitalism has made sure we have 500 people feeding from adedibu's residence daily, capitalism has ensured that we have 70% of nigerians living under $1 a day.
are the libyans, saudi's, chinese and others who have ameliorated the livin conditions of their people capitalists? where then did we get the concept of capitalism from?

I m sayin lets stop copying and pasting.

In the name of western economic empowerment programmes like the social security, obasanjo brought PAP (poverty alleviation program)
it was a disaster, they ended up distributing "okadas" and "keke napep".
do u remeber the health insurance scheme for workers obj started in d mould of wats applicable in germany? do u know what has bcom of it?
the major disaster facing nigerian present crop of leaders is lack of originality.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 8:27pm On Jun 27, 2008
noetic:

I m tempted to ask that what really works in the west that has not been importd to nigeria and has worked ?

huh??

noetic:

Even the british in colonizing nigeria, attempted originality. They created a regional system of government, where the developmental process created healthy economic rivalry for the advancement of democracy. this form of government is not prevalent in d world.
did this regional system not work? must we now use the american presidential system?
I hope you see the problem in this yourself. I am not sure if anyone is saying the American presidential system is the way it has to be. All that has been said so far is for us to start thinking more like the west and taking what works and applying it effectively to our own benefit.

noetic:

it works in america but it has breeded godfathers and sons in nigeria.
Interesting that you already have this conclusion only 9 years into democracy in Nigeria. You sure the problem is the system itself or the fact that we recycle corrupt leaders?? Come on, be sincere here. Are you able to tell me, without a shadow of a doubt that democracy, which I will assume is the American system you refer to, is what we have in Nigeria today?? ROFLMAO!! I mean with a straight face, can you say that??

noetic:

Iwu borrowed the western electronic voting system, u saw d disaster. even in london here, voting by post(i.e postal mail) was used during the last mayoral election just to accomodate the societal diversity which reflects illitracy n inconvinience.

So electronic voting, even though it works well in so many areas but somehow iwu brought it into a country where technology is not as developed, should never be applied in Nigeria?? Should we then conclude that computers should be abolished as we have scammers a plenty who use it?? I really don’t get what you mean there. Are you saying electronic voting is bad??

noetic:

where do u think policies like the universal basic education of obasanjo originate from? y were rural communities not put into consideration or y are they not beneficiaries?

Interesting!! So, Universal basic education, which in essence implies all persons get basic education available to them, should be cast out just because Obasanjo decided to selectively deny some people right to this? Do you see the mistake you are making here?? Is the System the problem or Obasanjo himself??

noetic:

the concept of privatisation? is that not the foothpath of capitalism promoted by the west? was atiku's privatisation not a disaster?

Privatization has not worked in Nigeria and should be thrown out because corrupt persons (whom we have known from the beginning to be bad leaders) keep misusing these ideas for their private interests? So Privatization is hence to blame for Atiku’s ineptitude??

noetic:

the continuos capitalist traits of tendering and awarding all government projects in form of contracts has breeded corrupt moguls and institutions like julius berger, aliko dangote to name a few. thus widening the gap between d rich and d poor.
So the very fact that the corrupt government officials continue to award contracts to selective few is not the problem but privatization is?

noetic:

capitalism has made sure we have 500 people feeding from adedibu's residence daily, capitalism has ensured that we have 70% of nigerians living under $1 a day.
But the move towards capitalism in Nigeria is less than a decade old. Over 500 people have been feeding off of rich corrupt individuals in that country for decades before that. Is Capitalism still to blame for the same problem existing before 2000?

noetic:

are the libyans, saudi's, chinese and others who have ameliorated the livin conditions of their people capitalists? where then did we get the concept of capitalism from?
May I ask why capitalism seems to be your only problem here?? Does copying what works in the west essentially default to capitalism?? Because I remember I did add copying from even China, a country that itself copied from the west to get it where it is today. If China copied from the west and, according to you is not capitalistic, why are you harping on capitalism and trying to make it the problem??

noetic:

I m sayin lets stop copying and pasting.

In the name of western economic empowerment programmes like the social security, obasanjo brought PAP (poverty alleviation program)
it was a disaster, they ended up distributing "okadas" and "keke napep".
So because Obasanjo bungled the plan, we don’t need social security of any sort in Nigeria?

noetic:

do u remeber the health insurance scheme for workers obj started in d mould of wats applicable in germany? do u know what has bcom of it?
the major disaster facing nigerian present crop of leaders is lack of originality.
I disagree with you on what the major problem facing the leaders is. I used to have health insurance in that same country, as a kid. It was through my dad’s company and we enjoy it much too. We went to the clinic a lot as kids and, I would hope my own kids enjoy the same benefit as Nigerians. So is health insurance the mistake here or the fact that the leaders continue to bungle simple ideas??

I have to say that you have yet to give me a serious example of implementation of what works in the west that we have applied to date but you have succeeded at giving me tons of examples of how inept our leaders have remained and have they have taken on simple plans and twisted and maimed the people even more in the name of progress. Two completely different things.

I can however give you an example of a plan from the west that was implemented and I hope many still enjoy it to date. Obafemi Awolowo’s free-Education-for-all program. I happen to have been one of those who benefitted from that program; free books, free uniform, good jobs for teachers, free education from primary school level up to High school level. Even though some will argue that he did it mainly for his own tribe, you have to admit, that it worked. Everywhere you go today, you mean more Nigerian Yoruba’s in high seats today that benefitted from that program. Sure, after his death, it sort of went the way most things do in Nigeria. Not as much funding and what not but it worked while it was funded and effectively pursued. He knew that it was not just about applying the idea but maintaining it as much as he could. The Jakande buildings helped a great deal. Made sure that education reached those who were in remote areas, at low cost. I happen to know because I also went to school at one point in a village in the middle of nowhere. LMAO!!

So please, can we not turn this into another ANTI-WEST thread and be sincere with ourselves in this debate. Instead of trying hard to blame it all on the west even when it does not make sense to, can we be honest enough to pin point what the actual problem is.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 11:58pm On Jun 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

huh??
I hope you see the problem in this yourself. I am not sure if anyone is saying the American presidential system is the way it has to be. All that has been said so far is for us to start thinking more like the west and taking what works and applying it effectively to our own benefit.

maybe u need to bend a little from theorical assertions to practical evidences. the biggest asset of the americans till this very day is their democracy. and our presidential system was imported from them. true or false?
I m not insinuating that d regional system was perfect, but it was a brilliant attempt at originality. even d british who brought up this idea do not practice, I can then deduce that the decision to have have a regional system of government was as a result of acomprehensive study of the nigerian state. so my take is can't we have a repitition of originality? can't we go to the drawing board and invent solutions peculiar to our case?

Interesting that you already have this conclusion only 9 years into democracy in Nigeria. You sure the problem is the system itself or the fact that we recycle corrupt leaders?? Come on, be sincere here. Are you able to tell me, without a shadow of a doubt that democracy, which I will assume is the American system you refer to, is what we have in Nigeria today?? ROFLMAO!! I mean with a straight face, can you say that??

exactly what we are saying. the presidential system is peculiar to america, it was imported to nigeria and here in nigeria it is a disaster.
do they recycle leaders who are not subject to the wishes of the electorates in america?

and when u say nine years, have u forgotten shagari was president under a democratic system? do u remember d reasons y buhari claimed he snatched power? the presidential system in nigeria was imported, it has no originality, it is complicated n not peculiar to the nigerian society and as far as nigeria is concerned it is a disaster. do u remember the infamous words of ogbemudia, he said pdp will rule for 100 years. . . . . . that is d result of lack of originality

So electronic voting, even though it works well in so many areas but somehow iwu brought it into a country where technology is not as developed, should never be applied in Nigeria??
yes. it should never have been used in d first place, apart from the usual logistics problems. they had untrained staff, unstable power supply et all. even d literates never got to c d machine or the way it works which u would have expected to b advertised on tv before d elections. hw many nigerians r literates?

Should we then conclude that computers should be abolished as we have scammers a plenty who use it?? I really don’t get what you mean there. Are you saying electronic voting is bad??

nope. i m saying somebody studied the nigerian political process and came up with option A4, it worked out fine, it was original.
is there a problem repeating that?

Interesting!! So, Universal basic education, which in essence implies all persons get basic education available to them, should be cast out just because Obasanjo decided to selectively deny some people right to this? Do you see the mistake you are making here?? Is the System the problem or Obasanjo himself??
y r u tryin to deviate from the issue at hand? is UBE not western oriented? it was imported and it failed.
obasanjo is a demon on his own. but UBE can only work in a country where statistics are accurately taken. we r still disputing the results of the population cencus till today.
this is another imported idea that has failed. it did not work because it is not nigerian in nature. it is western and a failure.

Privatization has not worked in Nigeria and should be thrown out because corrupt persons (whom we have known from the beginning to be bad leaders) keep misusing these ideas for their private interests? So Privatization is hence to blame for Atiku’s ineptitude??
yes. whats d rationale and idea behind privatisation? why sell these companies to private hands? y create billionaires overnight?
the fault of atiku is the fact that they cld not curtail their greed "corruption", so they opted to import the privatisation idea to attain capitalism. it has failed because only societies with established middle class operate capitalism.

So the very fact that the corrupt government officials continue to award contracts to selective few is not the problem but privatization is?
this are two different issues. privatization has failed woefully. it has enriched few pockets at the detriment of millions of others.
awarding of contracts to officials by large scale is also capitalist driven. y can't the fedral ministry of works tar all roads in nigeria? is that a big deal?

But the move towards capitalism in Nigeria is less than a decade old. Over 500 people have been feeding off of rich corrupt individuals in that country for decades before that. Is Capitalism still to blame for the same problem existing before 2000?
was nigeria socialist driven before 2000?

May I ask why capitalism seems to be your only problem here?? Does copying what works in the west essentially default to capitalism?? Because I remember I did add copying from even China, a country that itself copied from the west to get it where it is today. If China copied from the west and, according to you is not capitalistic, why are you harping on capitalism and trying to make it the problem?? So because Obasanjo bungled the plan,
maybe u need to explain explicitly what china copied from the west.

but to answer your question, YES capitalism is a problem in nigeria. why should a country with over 100 million people living in poverty be capitalist driven. y should a few people control the assets of the economy in a 3rd world country with no middleclass?

to develop nigeria, empowerment must be encouraged (u can call it capitalism if u like) but not at the detriment of socialist driven initaitive s to cater of over 100 million people wallowing in poverty. there are no welfare services all because of a prepay capitalist initaitive imported from the west. it has failed. or y do u think people keep crying for a revolution?
it is because they are hungry. and they r hungry because we foolishly copy western capitalism.

because obasanjo bugled the plan we don’t need social security of any sort in Nigeria?

sure we do. but shouldnt it reflect on out distinctness as a nation?

I disagree with you on what the major problem facing the leaders is. I used to have health insurance in that same country, as a kid. It was through my dad’s company and we enjoy it much too. We went to the clinic a lot as kids and, I would hope my own kids enjoy the same benefit as Nigerians. So is health insurance the mistake here or the fact that the leaders continue to bungle simple ideas??
it is a non issue because u had a luxury. how many nigerians have health insurance today?
can't we have a national health scheme where u get basic health care free of charge but funded by 2% of workers wages and subsidized by government?
must we use health insurance like d germans?

I have to say that you have yet to give me a serious example of implementation of what works in the west that we have applied to date but you have succeeded at giving me tons of examples of how inept our leaders have remained and have they have taken on simple plans and twisted and maimed the people even more in the name of progress. Two completely different things.
except you're running from the issues being raised.
our leaders are made inept based on our system of govt. presidential imported from US
they started privatisation to attain capitalism, it has failed. it was imported from the west
health insurance . . . . . . . failed
UBE . . . . . . . . failed
PAP. . . . . . . failed
electronic voting. . . . . . . failed
capitalist contract awards. . . . . . . . . . failed . . . . . and a host of others.

I can however give you an example of a plan from the west that was implemented and I hope many still enjoy it to date. Obafemi Awolowo’s free-Education-for-all program. I happen to have been one of those who benefitted from that program; free books, free uniform, good jobs for teachers, free education from primary school level up to High school level. Even though some will argue that he did it mainly for his own tribe, you have to admit, that it worked. Everywhere you go today, you mean more Nigerian Yoruba’s in high seats today that benefitted from that program. Sure, after his death, it sort of went the way most things do in Nigeria. Not as much funding and what not but it worked while it was funded and effectively pursued. He knew that it was not just about applying the idea but maintaining it as much as he could. The Jakande buildings helped a great deal. Made sure that education reached those who were in remote areas, at low cost. I happen to know because I also went to school at one point in a village in the middle of nowhere. LMAO!!
uhhh
u easily made refrence to this because it suceeded and for the ones that failed u blame the leaders inept.

did tinubu and his fellow 5 thieves not attempt to implement this same policy in 1999? did they suceed?

So please, can we not turn this into another ANTI-WEST thread and be sincere with ourselves in this debate. Instead of trying hard to blame it all on the west even when it does not make sense to, can we be honest enough to pin point what the actual problem is.

no body is blamin the west. lets just stop importation of ideas or policies and start originality.
creating policies that are a reflection of our own society.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 6:49pm On Jun 29, 2008
@ kobo

I d like to think u now c it from my point of view.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 6:53pm On Jun 29, 2008
Nope!! I just see you trying to blame the plans and not the actual goats who bungled the plans for the failure that occured in all examples you gave above. Sort of like reading someone type that marriage is a failure, when he keeps going in expecting his needs to be served and never really willing to do the work needed to make it work.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 7:05pm On Jun 29, 2008
I dont dispute the fact that we have a failed leadership.
but the plans could also never have worked, because they do not put the nigerian nature into consideration.

meaning bad leadership + western policy = failure

bad leadership + locally breed policy = average e.g option A4

good leadership + locally breed policy = success
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 7:24pm On Jun 29, 2008
noetic:

I don't dispute the fact that we have a failed leadership.
but the plans could also never have worked, because they do not put the nigerian nature into consideration.

meaning bad leadership + western policy = failure

bad leadership + locally breed policy = average e.g option A4

good leadership + locally breed policy = success

There is a huge problem with your analysis here. Every plan has to be tailored to the situation in which it is being applied. Why it is the plan itself that is failed when the leaders failed here to adapt that plan to Nigeria’s situation??  I understand you may have something against the west so I will try give you a different example of what you are trying to do.

A right-handed man, Mr. A, invents a hoe that is not only able to till but also plant at the same time. He uses this tool to work his 8 acre farm, and is able to cut his work time in half.
Another man, Mr. B, who happens to be left-handed, observes Mr. A working with this miracle tool of his. He decides this tool is what he needs on his own 8 acre farmland, and decides to get information on it. Knowing full well that the inventor is right-handed, don’t you think will be stupid on the part of the left-handed man to try to expect the same result using the exact same tool, without needing to make adequate modifications to suit his own particular situation? Don’t you think that the tool (plan) will definitely work well for Mr. B if he requests for or decides to build himself a left-handed version of the original and is willing to work as hard as Mr. A did, with the tool? Is the tool really the problem here??  If Mr. B decides to use the exact same tool Mr. A used on his farm, and is disappointed that he, being left-handed, is unable to handle the tool as effectively as Mr. A did on his own farm, does this in anyway speak of the ineffectiveness of the tool itself?? Or does this not speak more of Mr. B’s ability to effectively use to tool to his own benefit?

Let me give you another,

If you buy cement and bricks and a piece of land on which you want to build a house, do you just put everything on the side of the land and expect to come back later on to magically find a house built on that piece of land using the bricks and cement? Do you not think that work has to be put into actually building a house and finishing it for you to go and come back to find a house?? Why then do you think you can take a plan from the west or anything from anywhere else and expect it to magically work for you without much effort put in on your part to see it work?? I hope you see what I see here??

Anywho, I gave you the Awolowo free education idea to help you understand how good plans can be successfully implemented. If Awolowo has instead taken that plan, presented it and then pocketed every dime that was to be used for the project, we would not be speaking of how successful that project was, today. So in the end, Awolowo was the swing factor, he had to decide the success or failure of the plan and he chose to have it succeed. Now please, apply this to every other area and see where your analysis may have gone wrong.
Taking what works and applying it in your life is really common sense for the good life. You do not need to re-invent the wheel; something I think is one another one of the big issues we have in Africa, to date.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by BigB11(m): 11:44pm On Jun 29, 2008
It is what it is; what works effectively in the west may not work here in Nigeria.
For many years now we've sent many of our leaders all over Europe and United States to learn how to think and do things like west, but to return back home and start thinking like Nigerians within few months.

It is not what you wear that defines you, it's what is inside you that counts.
If quarter of Nigerian leaders could just be honest to their duties, be sincere and be dedicated to serve Nigeria as a nation (and not selves), I think sky is the limit for this country. Progress will be seen from far away, infact the west will start thinking like Nigerians.

FYI: there is nothing special about the west; they are common thieves just like Nigerian leaders. The only difference is one operates his stealing strategies systematically, while the other just doesn't give a shi t.

The Slave mentality is a phenomenon state of mind that still continues to indirectly echo through our African blood vessels; we must immediately discontinue this type of thinking.
There is absolutely nothing wrong in thinking like Nigerians (Nigerians are powerful and enormously blessed with wisdom); let us just come together and find a better way to eradicate corruption and I promise you that Nigeria will fly high once again.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 2:44pm On Jun 30, 2008
Immediately I read this, I thought of you @Noetic. I am not sure if you realize it, but you already think like the west in many of the ways you live your life today, the only way you can come up with that idea being a failure is if you are trying to tell us all that your own life is a failure as well. But then, there are those who have applied western ideas to their own lives and succeeded. What then do you say to those?? That you are right and they are wrong??

"But you can't run away from such comparison in this age of globalisation. You use the same technology as the white man, you are setting up global banks, your country is trying to play big in the international market, your people want to live by international standards, your government wants Direct Foreign Investment, your footballers are playing in Europe. We are either part of the world or we are not. And my argument is that we do not have the right attitude, we are not bringing the right attitude to the world of competition. National growth is about attitude"

Can I suggest you read the rest of this article?? This if from a fellow Nigerian who understands that in order to survive in this world today, we have to start thinking more and more like the west, to figure out our place in this big space. It is sort of what women had to do to get to where they are today. We all remember that back some decades ago, women were not considered to be much but they then realized that in order to better compete and get the chance to show they are capable, they learned to think like men and today, we see women who compete on equal and even greater levels in society with their male counterparts. The Logic is simple but at the end of the day, the mind has to be willing to do what needs to be done or continue to churn out excuses on why it should not be done and risk remaining static for longer.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/editorial_opinion/article02//indexn3_html?pdate=290608&ptitle=Our%20Attitude%20Is%20The%20Problem&cpdate=290608
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by noetic(m): 7:16pm On Jun 30, 2008
@ kobo
your first illustration in ur former post was intelligently said and well expressed ur point of view. It however refuses to adress the issue in this context. Somehow I wish u could use real life scenarios, like how china or saudi arabia copied from the west.

but think about it. MR A and B both have a farmland. If you begin to look at What [/b]needs to be done and not[b] How [/b]it is done, then u will appreciate my argument that the western way of doing things is not ours. what both Mr A and B needs to get done, is to get their farmlands cultivatable for farming and then the eventual farming which will lead to harvest.
If according to u, MrA has devised a hoe to suit his righthandedness, must MrB apply the same approach since he is left handed? cant he invent a cutlass? must he use a hoe?

my argument is butressed by reality. the [b]what
to be done in this case is to develop ur country and ameliorate the living conditions of the people and bringing millions out of poverty. this is the target of every nation on earth, wether they r workin towards it or not is anoda issue.

but the how is the approach and everyone is doing it differently. a cutlass does not work for everybody. capitalism does not work for everyone neither does socialism, communism or social or welfarist democracy. but u can easily pick a developed country from each of this categories. So while everyone admired the hoe MrA used, some however used a cutlass, others a tractor, others went manual all in effrot to achieve an aim. They were more bothered with WHAT needs to be done.
Applying western ideas on a copy and paste basis is intellectual laziness and should not be encouraged. Solutions are reflections of problems and no two international problems are the same no matter how similar they seem.

and YES I read Reuben Abati's article. I must confess that he is my favourite nigerian colomnist.

however, I do not share ur sentiments about his article. The world is beautiful and intreasting because of the diverse things everyone has to offer. If we all do offer the same things, then the world will be monopolitic and boring an example is nairaland. If every contributor were to be intelligent, it would really be a boring place.
china , dubai, cuba, mexico and canada are also part of the world. so also is switzerland. but all have have a different approach to different things and are leading members of the international community.
Reuben's mesage is a condemnation of the nigerian attitude. which I whole heartedly agree with. We Nigerians are terrible people.
Thats however an issue for another day.
Re: Landis(Nairaland): I Wish We Could Think Like The West by Kobojunkie: 10:48pm On Jun 30, 2008
Well, I believe I gave you the simplest analogies I could come up with there. If that was not straight forward enough, than I say we end this here since it seems you do not see what I see here.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Patrick Obahiagbon Speaks On Yar'adua's Return / Naija @ 50; What About Taiwo Akinkunmi, The National Flag Designnerv / Is OLUSOLA SARAKI Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 165
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.