Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,711 members, 7,879,108 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 12:41 PM

The New Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The New Lagos (2460 Views)

New Lagos Governor Ambode Incompetent - The Economist / The New Lagos State Ministry Of Justice And Office Of The Public Defender. Pics / Eko Atlantic City - The New Lagos (Cnn Inside Africa) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The New Lagos by jintujinta(m): 12:33pm On Jun 25, 2008
Obviously Lagos state has been taking on a new look since the inception of this Governor Fashola's regime. Various responses have greeted the changes; which of the changes do you consider great and which ones does the government needs to improve upon and which ones are outrightly unnecessary? With this new thing evolving, how do you picture Lagos state in the next seven years?
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 12:52pm On Jun 25, 2008
picture it with 20 million people grin wink
Re: The New Lagos by Radiant(f): 1:00pm On Jun 25, 2008
Lol. . . is that the new avenue to "chop" money?
Re: The New Lagos by angel101(f): 1:02pm On Jun 25, 2008
lagos is looking more beautiful and i'm happy
Re: The New Lagos by noetic(m): 1:46pm On Jun 25, 2008
Eko oni baje
Re: The New Lagos by landis(m): 1:48pm On Jun 25, 2008
pictures of your new lagos. pictures, pictures
grin cheesy grin
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 2:21pm On Jun 25, 2008
so that's what this is all about ehn?

the beautiful sides of lagos grin
Re: The New Lagos by ifyalways(f): 3:01pm On Jun 25, 2008
what happened to the old lagos? cheesy

Seriously, I think that Man is trying. More can be done though.
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 3:06pm On Jun 25, 2008
true
Re: The New Lagos by folahann(m): 4:45pm On Jun 25, 2008
Lagos? Changing? To what?

I don't think it's that same Lagos

It could only get worse
Re: The New Lagos by yemmight(m): 5:21pm On Jun 25, 2008
@folahann

Which part of Lagos are you living? If you leave far away Lagos you can see anything. Please come out of darkness.
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 6:15pm On Jun 25, 2008
;d ;d wink :d :d :d
Re: The New Lagos by Beline(f): 6:46pm On Jun 25, 2008
those about to kill houses that he is bringing down is a plus at least many lives have been saved by this qesture.
Re: The New Lagos by redsun(m): 10:44pm On Jun 25, 2008
All thosedirty looking houses be renovated and repainted,goverment should subsidize home owners,all the street shacks and stalls should be removed,side walks paved,drains coveredall the slum dwellers rehabilitated,canals and waterways drained,all the plastics on the over head cables removed,cables insulated,oh heaven,there is alot to do for lagos to be habitable.

Think about the rotating skyscrapers that is going mount in dubai in 2010,mega cities,oil money.Each floor can spin independently,just like a toy up in the sky,each apartment is going to cost about 30 million dollars when it is completed.All they got is what we got,oil.

If nigeria can't change now with this wind fall from oil and plus the fact that oil will run out soon,she is doomed for ever.Lagos is suppose to be one the most beautiful cities in the world.
Re: The New Lagos by Nobody: 5:34am On Jun 26, 2008
Can I see some pictures, please?
Re: The New Lagos by smile4kenn(m): 6:44am On Jun 26, 2008
we are crying for pictures please, I wanna see what ma state of birth looks like now,
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 9:51am On Jun 26, 2008
The good, the bad side of a city

* Shanties, refuse heaps compete with flower gardens, hedges in Costain, Lagos
By Regina Akpabio
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/metro/article01//indexn2_html?pdate=240608&ptitle=The%20good,%20the%20bad%20side%20of%20a%20city

BENEATH the labyrinth of flyovers in the Costain area of Lagos Mainland, two different worlds exist.

There is, on the one hand an inviting landscape of manicured greenery, the centerpiece of which is the newly completed, beautiful, green roundabout, the metal fence of which is painted in white.

A pleasure to behold, not many Lagosians would have imagined the transformation possible until a few months ago before the Lagos State government's beautification programme in the metropolis, began to bear fruit.

But next door to this beautiful landscape of lush green lawns and hedges, a different world exists.

In this squalid world, also inhabited by Lagosians, a motley of shanties fashioned out of old aluminum sheets sit atop piles of refuse.

Close by, there is a market for chickens, goats and rams.

The regular stream of people in and out of the market, the many children playing around the shanties and the refuse heaps that surround them, indicate the presence of a thriving colony slum dwellers that is incongruous with the beauty only a few hundred metres away.

Apart from the bigger spread of refuse, which last week looked as it was strewn by a demented cart pusher, smaller piles were all over the place.

Beside this, a canal that emits nauseous odour forces passers-by to cover their noses, flows lazily into the lagoon.

"I wonder how these people cope, inhaling this terrible odour all the time," a woman who came to but chicken from the market told The Guardian on Friday.

She continued: " I was disturbed when I came early one morning and saw some children emerging from the huts all dressed up in their school uniforms.

"That means some people live here and raise children in this environment. Such a situation should not be permitted at all. "

But obviously, whether under deliberate official acquiescence or negligence, it appears the settlement has so far survived even as the residents and their customers seem to survive by plying their different trades.

From the rear of many of the shanties where the kitchens seem to be located, smoke swirls around as vendors serve customers plates of food on tables made from rough pieces of wood and planks stuck into the ground.

The chicken and ram market, which is located on a railway line, was littered with sacks of animal feed.

When The Guardian visited the area, hardly did anyone pass by without spitting because of the stench, yet the scores of residents went about their normal lives oblivious of the discomfort.

Some were performing their domestic chores, while others were haggling at the ram and goat market, which borders the road that leads from Funsho Williams Avenue to Orile Iganmu.

Some of the residents complained they have no alternative than to put up anywhere they could in order to carry out their activities.

One of them, Ahmed Salisu, said: "It is not as if we are happy living in this kind of place but I have to live somewhere to carry on with my business. Where do we go when the government is even demolishing people's homes?" he asked.

According to him, he is not just living there alone but with his entire family who are with him in Lagos.

"I am living here with my wife and five children who are in school here in Lagos. For now, this is our home until we can get something better," he added.

Even as he was talking, little Fatima and her three brothers in their school uniforms were returning from school, running happily across the heaps of refuse, into their home.

For them, there did not seem to be anything wrong with their home as long as it has sheltered them from the rains and sun.

"Yes, this is our house and we like it", she responded to a question before her father ordered her into the house.

A passer-by, Mr. Johnson Ola who closed his nose while passing through the area said: "I wonder how the residents here are able to cope with this stench. This is where they dispose their human waste and at the same time prepare their food.

"How I wish the government that is making the rest of Lagos so beautiful would remember these people.

"It is a surprise that such a dirty settlement can exist side-by-side with the beautiful Costain Roundabout and those nice lawns and hedges.

Nobody is asking the government to render these poor people homeless by destroying their houses. What I am saying is that it would also be proper if the same government builds low-cost homes that such level of Nigerians can afford to live in. Many of them are forced to live in this kind of squalor because they cannot afford to rent a better place."

According to him, the government only concentrates in building homes for the privilege ones and not for the masses.

Another resident who preferred anonymity said: "The government is no longer building homes for the common people.

It is rather demolishing the homes of poor people. If it concentrates on building one-room apartments, people like these would not bother themselves to be erecting shanties everywhere."

But the Managing Director, Lagos Waste Management Authority (LAWMA), Mr. Ola Oresanya, said the state government was still evaluating reactions to the demolition of shanties under the Marine Beach flyover in Ijora recently.

According to him, the government would still remove the other shanties, including the one along the Costain-Orile Iganmu Road.

"The eviction of illegal occupants and demolition of shanties within Lagos metropolis is a continuous exercise. It is not what government is prepared to rush into, considering the impact on those involved.

"In the first instance, for them to have occupied the spaces illegally was not their fault but the failure of past authorities that did not take appropriate measures concerning open spaces within the state.

"For now, we are carefully watching their reactions and making plans towards their relocation bearing in mind the enormous cost effect.

Some of them have returned to their various hometowns or moved to stay with friends and relatives while others have chosen to remain where we evicted them from or moved to another illegal shanties within the state".

He, however, emphasised that the Fasola administration was caring and that the demolitions were not a sign of hatred but rather part of efforts to further protect the environment and change the face of the metropolis "since there is no development without pains."
Re: The New Lagos by dblock(m): 11:37am On Jun 26, 2008
[center]Some of the Recent Changes in Lagos

[/center]
Re: The New Lagos by dblock(m): 11:39am On Jun 26, 2008
This is not the "beautiful side of lagos" because a few years ago, these places didn't look like this

Change was Made
Re: The New Lagos by tboy1(m): 11:40am On Jun 26, 2008
@ dblock
nice pics. . .
Re: The New Lagos by landis(m): 11:48am On Jun 26, 2008
I need PICS of:

Oshodi Oke

Ojuelegba

Ojota

Orile

Mile12

Ajegunle

Isale Eko

Then we know if truly it changed
grin cheesy grin
Re: The New Lagos by otokx(m): 11:50am On Jun 26, 2008
What bout Ketu, Shangisha Magodo
Re: The New Lagos by Kobojunkie: 11:51am On Jun 26, 2008
What about Ikorodu?? Idumota?? Oshodi?? Mile 12?? Palm grove?? Any pictures of those areas??
Re: The New Lagos by Mustay(m): 12:11pm On Jun 26, 2008
I want to streets not major roads!
Re: The New Lagos by angel101(f): 12:30pm On Jun 26, 2008
have the major roads u've just seen not changed at all?
we should try to give credit where it is due now
Re: The New Lagos by yemmight(m): 2:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
landis:

I need PICS of:

Oshodi Oke

Ojuelegba

Ojota

Orile

Mile12

Ajegunle

Isale Eko

grin cheesy grin

What is wrong with Isale Eko, Ojota, Ojuelegba etc? Besides, development of a state will not just happen one day. It has to start from somewhere. Have you been to some jungle cities in US and see how they look. Please lets commend this man because he's tramsforming the state.
Re: The New Lagos by SkyBlue1: 2:13pm On Jun 26, 2008
@yemmight no one was insulting Fashola but out of curiosity people want to see more pictures so that we can see how far the development spreads, is that so wrong? The pictures posted above are available online anyway.
Re: The New Lagos by darfur(m): 3:15pm On Jun 26, 2008
Kobojunkie:

What about Ikorodu?? Idumota?? Oshodi?? Mile 12?? Palm grove?? Any pictures of those areas??

landis:

I need PICS of:

Oshodi Oke

Ojuelegba

Ojota

Orile

Mile12

Ajegunle

Isale Eko

grin cheesy grin

guys pleaaaaaaaaase . . . change has to start somewhere. did you expect him to change the whole lagos overnight? it took decades to destroy lagos to its current state, how much more rebuilding? pls appreciate an effort where you see one. i'm not familiar with lagos but i've heard stories about it. from these photos, there is something that looks good going on. at least we can call it a good start. a thousand miles begin with a . . . . .
Re: The New Lagos by tpia: 4:45pm On Jun 26, 2008
Some of those slum areas will make for good development property when Lagos begins to run out of land.

In developed countries like the US, ghetto areas of town are sometimes cleared out to make way for new development and when they want to upgrade a place. Happens all the time.

If some people here can begin to name their local governments and home towns, maybe the slums can be relocated to those areas, since thats all they ever want to see. wink

(1) (Reply)

Map Of Igbo Port Harcourt, Uhrobo Would Be Minority In Biafra Or Niger Delta / Azu And The Integrity Question In Nigerian Media / Lawmakers Approve N17b For Independence Anniversary !

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.