Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,200,172 members, 7,973,959 topics. Date: Sunday, 13 October 2024 at 11:39 AM

Fashola Issues ‘unreserved Apology’ To Igbos Over Lagos Deportation Row - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola Issues ‘unreserved Apology’ To Igbos Over Lagos Deportation Row (470 Views)

Release Nnamdi Kanu And Tender An Unreserved Apology To Him- onaiyekan to Buhari / Fashola Issues Press Statement On 78million Website / Why Are Yorubas Wailing For The Igbos Over The NNPC Chairman Appointment? Photo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Issues ‘unreserved Apology’ To Igbos Over Lagos Deportation Row by nickxtra(m): 10:25pm On Sep 26, 2013
The Governor addressed an Igbo socio-cultural group in Lagos.
The Lagos State Governor, Thursday, issued an “unreserved apology” to the Igbos following the deportation of about 70 beggars and destitute people to Anambra State.
Speaking at an event to mark the Silver Jubilee of Aka Ikenga, an Igbo socio-cultural body, in Lagos, Mr. Fashola stated that he valued his relationship with the Igbos.
“I came here to say to say thank you for the honour done to my family and the memory of my late father,” Mr. Fashola, whose father died last month, said.
“People who clearly do not understand the actions taken and words spoken are those I owe an explanation. I cannot take the Igbos for granted because we have built a relationship based on tolerance, mutual respect, love and trust.
“That relationship was built by our ancestors and I put a lot of value in that relationship,” said the Lagos State governor.
“I offer an unreserved apology if the actions taken had been misunderstood,” he added.
Mr. Fashola, however, called on Aka Ikenga to help address the issue of people migrating from the South-East to Lagos State.
“Is it the case that some lack the resources to develop or perhaps some parts are endowed with enormous resources but not adequately managed?”
“How can development be so difficult from the zone that has produced people like Nnamdi Azikiwe, Alex Ekwueme, Ike Nwachukwu, among others?
“As political storm gathers, there are contact sports but like in football, contact sports have rules,” said Mr. Fashola.
“Those who are victims of our shortcomings as professionals in and out of government should not be pounced.
“A day like these calls for deep reflection about issues of our loyalties. Are we more Igbo than Nigeria or we are more Nigeria than Igbo?” he added.
On July 24, the Lagos State governor had dumped the evictees, under the cover of darkness, at Upper Iweka, Onitsha, the commercial hub of Anambra State.
The action had elicited a heated row between the two states, with Peter Obi, the Anambra State Governor, threatening a reprisal.
Re: Fashola Issues ‘unreserved Apology’ To Igbos Over Lagos Deportation Row by Nobody: 11:46pm On Sep 26, 2013
Keen interest

(1) (Reply)

SSANU Keeps Promise, Joins Indefinite Strike / Nigeria’s Population Will Outstrip US As World’s Population Will Rise To 9.7bn / Rivers Crises: Rights Commission Summons Amaechi

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.