Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,310 members, 7,950,590 topics. Date: Monday, 16 September 2024 at 05:17 PM

Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders (1320 Views)

Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Hillary Clinton Warns African Leaders About Co-operating With China. / FULL Video Samuel Doe Assassination African Leaders This Is A Reminder... (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Depilot(m): 1:58am On Jun 26, 2008
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080625/ap_on_re_af/zimbabwe
mandela condemns president robert mugabe. he labels mugabe's actions as "tragic failure of leadership in Zimbabwe."
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Kobojunkie: 2:11am On Jun 26, 2008
Took him long enough!
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by naijaway(m): 2:29am On Jun 26, 2008
For real he should have condemned this actions a long time ago and also should have done it anywhere in Africa eg in south Africa or Nigeria; It's late but Ok. That's why I don't see him as much much eventhough I respect him very well for doing the right things when in power.
He should think about dedicating the rest of his life in speaking out against oppressions in Africa by Africans. He should also begin showing intrest and visions for a united Africa based on whatever ideology he sees fit; that way many including presidents will begin thinking about it.
He should begin utilizing his respect and influence bottom line.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by superman(m): 6:09am On Jun 26, 2008
very funi!! mandela dnt lick ass like must of yall
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 6:18am On Jun 26, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Took him long enough!
What does that mean? Is it his duty to condemn Mugabe? It's a choice he made to do so and he is a voice we can all appreciate.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Nobody: 6:46am On Jun 26, 2008
CH3COO:

What does that mean? Is it his duty to condemn Mugabe? It's a choice he made to do so and he is a voice we can all appreciate.

For the fact that he is a voice we can appreciate and act on makes him a little guilty for voicing out late.

Though, better late than never.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 6:48am On Jun 26, 2008
Not really. Nothing is bound to happen "just because he spoke".
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Nobody: 6:54am On Jun 26, 2008
Really? Why is the news everywhere?
Dont you know alot of Africans are still not sure whether Mugabe is right or wrong? They are simply waiting for someone with intergrity and a sound objective opinion to let them know who to follow. Mandela has done it, but unfortunately his voice came late and might not carry much weight now.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 6:56am On Jun 26, 2008
Mandela is the only person with integrity? So if Mandela or someone like Mandela doesn't speak now, nothing in the world can be achieved? Even if he had spoken a bit earlier, what actions do you think would have been taken.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 7:02am On Jun 26, 2008
And why are you surprised that Africans don't know whether or not Mugabe is right?  Africa is riddled with corrupted leaders.  You are asking hooligans to distinguish between a good hooligan and a bad hooligan.  Mugabe is no different; he is one of them.  He is hooligan who wants to run shit to the ground, and apparently Mandela is now the authoritative voice confirming what we all already know?
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by landis(m): 8:04am On Jun 26, 2008
You are asking hooligans to distinguish between a good hooligan and a bad hooligan.

Mugabe is a Knight of British Empire.

How can you call him Hooligan? are you say the Queen is also hooligan?

Show me your friend and I tell you who you are.

grin cheesy grin
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 8:08am On Jun 26, 2008
How does his affiliation with the British Empire exonerate him from hooliganism?  Am I automatically better than anyone who's black because I'm from the white race?
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Mustay(m): 8:50am On Jun 26, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Took him long enough!

really loooooooooooooooooooongg sad
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by desgiezd(m): 12:54pm On Jun 26, 2008
Better late than never!!

If we accuse The Madiba of not talking on time what then shall we say of other African leaders who have turned blind eyes and deaf ears to the evil being perpetrated by that shameless, old fashioned Mugabe who wants to prolong his sleeping days in office!

Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Nobody: 1:19pm On Jun 26, 2008
desgiezd:

Better late than never!!

If we accuse The Madiba of not talking on time what then shall we say of other African leaders who have turned blind eyes and deaf ears to the evil being perpetrated by that shameless, old fashioned Mugabe!

At least the blind and deaf African leaders have been known to be like that while Madiba is not. That was why people expected him to have spoken out earlier.

Of course he made a point again, but before now, he must have been blind and deaf to what has been happening in ZWE just like other African leaders.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by BigB11(m): 1:38pm On Jun 26, 2008
It is never too late.
It is very important to keep in mind that one has to be extremely prudent when it comes to getting involved in politics, especially politics in other nation.
Therefore, to criticize Mandela for coming out at this point will be a sign of apparent insensibility.

I see Mandela's voice as a unique positive development, which will definitely send message not only to Mugabe, but also to other power-hungry African leaders.

It is time for all African countries to unite and be each other's keeper. We do not longer need to look up or wait for US or UK to dictate to us what is right or wrong.
Africans are competent enough to mold their own destiny.

I'm sorry; at the age of 80 and after 30 years of pure failure, I think now is absolutely the time for Mugabe to move on.
I am sick and tired of viewing the horrible images of my brothers, sisters and little kids running for their lives on CNN.

It is a shame and absolutely not acceptable; I will like to see more pressure coming from other African countries to completely disable this outrageous tyrant.

Africans are human beings and not animals; we ought to be treated with absolute respect under all circumstances.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Blatant: 2:04pm On Jun 26, 2008
Was Mandela not just pressurised into it?

I am wondering why he was not pressurised to make statements about other conflicts in Africa where several thousands of lives have been lost embarassed
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by landis(m): 2:21pm On Jun 26, 2008
Morgan Tsvangirai told his supporters to vote if necessary to avoid violent reprisals.

"What difference does it make?" he said. "This government is illegitimate, it will remain so."

This 'cry baby' is not serious.

what if his supporters go voting and he WINS?

Will he says it is illegitimate?
grin cheesy grin
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by texazzpete(m): 2:53pm On Jun 26, 2008
Blatant:

Was Mandela not just pressurised into it?

I am wondering why he was not pressurised to make statements about other conflicts in Africa where several thousands of lives have been lost embarassed

How many African leaders have made statements about other conflicts in Africa?

We are assailed with images of foreign celebrities like George Clooney and Bono in Darfur. Where is the pressure on our celebrities to head over to Darfur et al?

I may not be the smartest or wisest in the world, but i know world respected elder statesmen pushing 90 are difficult to 'pressurize'.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by BigB11(m): 2:58pm On Jun 26, 2008
@texazzpete: you got my vote on this one.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by BigB11(m): 3:02pm On Jun 26, 2008
How come no one is asking OBJ to go talk to his buddy?
I'm sure, he can relate directly to Mugabe's current state of mind.

OBJ's third term idea is not that far from what is taking place today in Zimbabwe.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by desgiezd(m): 7:15pm On Jun 26, 2008
@ Big B1

Are we sure OBJ is not subtly encouraging this man to carry on and that nothing will happen?
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by lucabrasi(m): 11:35pm On Jun 26, 2008
i think you ll are making a big deal of what mandela said,according to a programme i watched mandela onli made a remark about the leadership in the south african neighbourhood zimbabwe
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Kobojunkie: 1:33am On Jun 27, 2008

CH3COO

Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders
« #4 on: Yesterday at 06:18:03 AM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: Kobojunkie on Yesterday at 02:11:30 AM
Took him long enough!

Not saying it is his duty but if you are considered an icon by persons, you are sort of obligated to speak out on issues that pertain to those people. Mandela is sort of a hero to not just south africans; many Zimbabweans also consider him their hero. So, if he has only woken up to the fact that there is a huge problem and he may need to speak out, I say, it took him long enough.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 5:43am On Jun 27, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Not saying it is his duty but if you are considered an icon by persons, you are sort of obligated to speak out on issues that pertain to those people. Mandela is sort of a hero to not just south africans; many Zimbabweans also consider him their hero. So, if he has only woken up to the fact that there is a huge problem and he may need to speak out, I say, it took him long enough.
He spoke.
It's been over 24 hours now, zilch.  Talk is cheap.  If I remember correctly the British Empire spoke too, right?
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Blatant: 1:15pm On Jun 27, 2008
Big B1:

How come no one is asking OBJ to go talk to his buddy?
I'm sure, he can relate directly to Mugabe's current state of mind.

OBJ's third term idea is not that far from what is taking place today in Zimbabwe.

why was there not so much noise by the British establishment and media when OBJ was plotting his third term?
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by Kobojunkie: 1:42am On Jun 29, 2008
CH3COO:

He spoke.
It's been over 24 hours now, zilch.  Talk is cheap.  If I remember correctly the British Empire spoke too, right?

So many people have been speaking out against this, even way before the real commotion stated.

I am not in anyway saying that his speaking means anything, considering I don't even understand what his word means to anyone, but I do know that there are alot of africans out there who consider his words to be worth so much to the extent that some worship him. So, like I said, he came late to the game, in my opinion.

The whole world already knows of what is going on and has condemned it long before he came in to. Kind of like someone coming out today to speak out against Darfur, as if it is new news.  Do you understand now??
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by CH3COO(m): 5:53am On Jun 30, 2008
But that's quite a silly comparison because it's still an ongoing chaos. He's not as late as you are exaggerating him to be. Anyway, I still disagree with that your opinion.
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by thando(f): 10:06am On Jun 30, 2008
ppl shud stop stressin Madiba hasnt he done enuff he is pushing 90 for gods sake instead of other leaders carrying on from where he left of.r we to call on him everytime we have a hot headed tyrant on our hands who often is supported by the very ppl he is starving to death. u can only show ppl the way but u cant force them to follow it wut is sadc n un doin
Re: Mandela's Involment, A Great Example For African Leaders by DisGuy: 7:38pm On Jul 02, 2008
the criticism i don't get is, people blaming african leaders for not 'talking'

only few of them are elected fairly and most of them don't even have influence on Zimbabwe!
what does Ghana, Togo, Uganda, Egypt and many countries have to say to Mugabe, its not as if he is even listening
the west have been 'talking' way before 2005 he still didn't bulge.
Nigeria probably doesn't even trade with Zimbabwe

one part of international politics i still don't get is the press statement that usually reads
" we condemn this blah blah blah" then that's usually the end of it

BTW many European countries are still in Zimbabwe trading doing business, paying tax to the same regime
under the guise they are employing locals
Zimbabwe is still printing its billion notes from Germany!

they either get him out by force or wait for him to kpai!

Bush is threatening an arms embargo, what were they waiting for
the last shipment from Yankee suppliers?

(1) (Reply)

The Richest Families In America (usa) / Trump, Clinton Traded Words At Final Presidential Debate In Las Vegas / Meet 39 Yrs Old Emmanuel Macron, The Tentatively Youngest President Of France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.