Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,177,408 members, 7,901,121 topics. Date: Friday, 26 July 2024 at 12:26 AM

Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? (1158 Views)

Should I Forgive Him And Continue Dating Him, Or Should I Just Let Him Go? / What Is That Special Thing You Can't Forget About Your Ex? / Do Men Really Forgive & Forget? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Officialgrl2(f): 4:03pm On Sep 28, 2013
Ok, religion and culture have taught us to forgive and to forget in this society, but is that really the way to go? Can you really FORGIVE and FORGET the mistakes, the problems, the fights with someone you've loved, trusted, or cared for? In my case, I had a big fight with my boyfriend, (nothing physical but a long story) Although I have forgiven him,but I just can't FORGET what he did.

This got me thinking is it possible to forgive without forgetting? If you're unable to let go of what someone has done to you, does that mean you didn't forgive the person?

What do you guys think? If you have had any similar issues please share.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 4:05pm On Sep 28, 2013
I can forgive but rarely forget. I have a good memory, nothing wrong with it. wink
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by vizkiz: 4:30pm On Sep 28, 2013
Ah Cnt 4qt never....i still remmeber dt girl dt qot me disvirqind n she didnt stay wif me 4 more dan 5months after dt. Cuz ma **** is too harsh grin
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by djeezy(m): 4:31pm On Sep 28, 2013
We humans practice "half baked forgiveness". True forgiveness lies in forgetting and only God does that. We humans can forgive but we do not forget, it's hard to let the memories go

1 Like

Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
How can you forget something unless you don't suffer from some memory dysfunction syndrom?
We human beings are created to remember the painful experiences, in particular, in order to learn from them.
How would a child know not to touch fire if it did forget the pain it gives?

How do you know God forgets anything?

1 Like

Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by djeezy(m): 4:49pm On Sep 28, 2013
Don't get me amiss, I used forgetting in another context. When you commit a sin, asks for forgiveness and subsequently commits another, the forgiven sin is history.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Officialgrl2(f): 4:57pm On Sep 28, 2013
djeezy: We humans practice "half baked forgiveness". True forgiveness lies in forgetting and only God does that. We humans can forgive but we do not forget, it's hard to let the memories go

Your right. Although you try to forget the experience, you mind won't allow you.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by djeezy(m): 5:00pm On Sep 28, 2013
Officialgrl2:

Your right. Although you try to forget the experience, you mind won't allow you.
True, and the worst part is when the person offends you again, we tend to remember the one we had told the person we had forgiven. We call it double jeopardy in law, lol.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by pasqal09: 5:12pm On Sep 28, 2013
U can forgive without forgeting. That's how u learn and get experience
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 5:19pm On Sep 28, 2013
djeezy: Don't get me amiss, I used forgetting in another context. When you commit a sin, asks for forgiveness and subsequently commits another, the forgiven sin is history.

Food for thought. Nice. Hard to tell how God sees serial sinners wink
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by nobilis: 5:46pm On Sep 28, 2013
I wonder how many times I will tell people this: the human brain never forgets. Even if an event escapes your consciousness, somewhere deep down in your subconscious, it will still be there and it may resurface sometime in the future. You may not be able to recall something when you wish but you discover that almost 100% of the time, you will recall that particular piece of info in the future. In fact, the more you try hard to forget something, the more chances you're creating for you to remember that thing.

Having made my point, the point is FORGIVE. You can forgive without forgetting. The thing is, when you forgive, the memories of the wrong committed against you won't be as hurtful as they were when you've not forgiven. When you forgive, you make it very very easy for yourself to live with the memories of such hurt. So don't focus on forgetting; your focus should be on forgiving.

And for those who may start telling me that I've not read the christian bible, I don't think I've across where it was written that we should forgive our neighbours and FORGET what they did to us. I've only come across passages on forgiveness. So if there is any such part of the bible, I'll appreciate if I'm given the quotation.

1 Like

Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 5:50pm On Sep 28, 2013
nobilis: I wonder how many times I will tell people this: the human brain never forgets. Even if an event escapes your consciousness, somewhere deep down in your subconscious, it will still be there and it may resurface sometime in the future. You may not be able to recall something when you wish but you discover that almost 100% of the time, you will recall that particular piece of info in the future. In fact, the more you try hard to forget something, the more chances you're creating for you to remember that thing.

Having made my point, the point is FORGIVE. You can forgive without forgetting. The thing is, when you forgive, the memories of the wrong committed against you won't be as hurtful as they were when you've not forgiven. When you forgive, you make it very very easy for yourself to live with the memories of such hurt. So don't focus on forgetting; your focus should be on forgiving.

And for those who may start telling me that I've not read the christian bible, I don't think I've across where it was written that we should forgive our neighbours and FORGET what they did to us. I've only come across passages on forgiveness. So if there is any such part of the bible, I'll appreciate if I'm given the quotation.

I agree 100 %
Said something similar before wink

1 Like

Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by mspee(f): 5:58pm On Sep 28, 2013
I can forgive, but forgetting wouldn't be immediately especially if there are scars or anything to remind of what happened.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by oluphemmie007: 3:15am On Sep 29, 2013
Forget ke? That would be a sign of a brain injury o.
Seeiously, no normal person can forget life changing experiences they consciously went through. To forgive is actually something that can only be tested by how you feel when memories of that experience comes around. Do you feel like getting even? Do you just shrug and wish evil on the offending party? Or do u feel, within your being, goodwill towards all actors like it used to be before the offense?

Personally, I believe not forgetting is an essential part of the process of forgiveness.

I would however want someone to clear the air on why it still hurts so much, even after you seem to think you have forgiven your offenders.
Yes, I hurt sometimes...but I hold no grudges.
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 5:44am On Sep 29, 2013
No such thing as forgetting..
Forgiving is so hard tho. undecided

It's the hardest thing to give away
And the last thing on your mind today
It always goes to those who don't deserve

It's the opposite of how you feel
When the pain they caused is just too real
It takes everything you have to say the word...

Forgiveness
Forgiveness

It flies in the face of all your pride
It moves away the mad inside
It's always anger's own worst enemy
Even when the jury and the judge
Say you gotta right to hold a grudge
It's the whisper in your ear saying 'set it free'

Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Show me how to love the unlovable
Show me how to reach the unreachable
Help me now to do the impossible
Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness

It'll clear the bitterness away
It can even set a prisoner free
There is no end to what its power can do
So let it go and be amazed
By what you see through eyes of grace
The prisoner that it really frees is you

Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness

Show me how to love the unlovable
Show me how to reach the unreachable
Forgiveness

I want to finally set it free
So show me how to see what Your mercy sees
Help me now to give what You gave to me
Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness, Forgiveness
Forgiveness
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by jmoore(m): 8:47am On Sep 29, 2013
The only way to forget is to format your brain 1 million times.

The focus should be on forgiveness. Can one forgive? Yes, you can. In fact forgiveness sets you free
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 8:53am On Sep 29, 2013
oluphemmie007: Forget ke? That would be a sign of a brain injury o.
Seeiously, no normal person can forget life changing experiences they consciously went through. To forgive is actually something that can only be tested by how you feel when memories of that experience comes around. Do you feel like getting even? Do you just shrug and wish evil on the offending party? Or do u feel, within your being, goodwill towards all actors like it used to be before the offense?

Personally, I believe not forgetting is an essential part of the process of forgiveness.

I would however want someone to clear the air on why it still hurts so much, even after you seem to think you have forgiven your offenders.
Yes, I hurt sometimes...but I hold no grudges.

The healing process takes time, there is nothing you can really do. Just don't push away the pain, allow it to flow and with time it will get better. wink
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 9:45am On Sep 29, 2013
The problem is that u guys dont get it! U think forgeting offences is like when u forget what ur thought in class or when u forget to pick up something.
Jesus said when ur slaped on the left chick turn the right, meaning pretend that nothing happend some of u claim uve 4given but still go around telling people. Let my sight an example, when u and some exchange insults, the the orther person comes back to apologise, then u forgive and forget it means u see the person lyk the way u saw him b4 the insults. And u pretend that nothing happend btw u guys. Even when ur asked "what happend btw u and john" say "nothing that i can remb" thats the forgeting aspect!
Re: Can You Really Forgive If You Can't Forget? by Nobody: 10:49am On Sep 29, 2013
My flaw is I don't forgive those who don't apologize.I never forget too.Got an aunt that offended me terribly,whenever I see her,I give a deadly look directly even if her husband is there.It's been 8 yrs now.It's only when one apologize that I can find forgiveness in my dictionary.The best way I might forget is ONLY when I distance myself.

(1) (Reply)

What's That Habit You Would Want Him/her Change Or Improve On Before Marriage? / My Girl Is Getting Married To Another Man Next Year,wht Should I Do. / Why Do Guys Go Into Impediment Of Debt Just To Impress Ladies ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.