Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,027 members, 7,890,370 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 01:12 PM

Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? (601 Views)

8 Tips On Quick Fix For Bad Breath. / Picture: This Champagne Bucket Is Making Nigerians Laugh Like Mad, Crazy! / Humour (joke) Is No Excuse For Bad Behaviour (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? by NeuroBoss(m): 5:00am On Sep 29, 2013
This is not a new thing as everyone of us has done this at one time or the other but I think we must stop it. This issue came to fore on Wednesday when two ladies who fought themselves were called to explain in English. It was true they "murdered" English but it was more embarassing that their close friends burst into fits of laughter. This I think is not good. In Kenya, they promote Swahili more than English. Infact, a Kenyan would look down on you as Illiterate if you don't speak Swahili but speaks English.
When an Ibo man speaks Yoruba albeit a smattering one without recourse to tonal and grammatical rules we appreciate it and just go ahead with the discussion but if this same Nigerian speaks a smattering or incoherent English we start laughing. This is not good for our indigenous languages. We should learn to speak English well if we could but not calling for the head of someone who can't.
Re: Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? by Emmyk(m): 7:28am On Sep 29, 2013
That's true. Especially if you are in the hit of an argument. See my signature.. wink
Re: Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? by UjSizzle(f): 1:05pm On Sep 29, 2013
Emmyk: That's true. Especially if you are in the hit of an argument. See my signature.. wink
heat grin grin
Re: Why Do Nigerians Laugh At Themselves For Bad Use Of English? by Emmyk(m): 2:38pm On Sep 29, 2013
uj_sizzle:
heat grin grin
damn! You got me cheesy. I'm watching you.

(1) (Reply)

Health Mistakes Everyone Makes / Its A Month To Christmas: How Do You Intend To Spend Your Christmas? / A Skateboard For Sale.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.