Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,103 members, 7,939,457 topics. Date: Wednesday, 04 September 2024 at 06:07 AM

I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! (1969 Views)

Is It Safe For Indian Like Me To Visit Nigeria / 7 Reasons Why Every Foreigner Must Visit Nigeria/next Tourist Destination / Why I Want To Visit Nigeria - A Foreigner's (Flimsy) Reasons. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:01pm On Sep 30, 2013
You must admit that Nigeria has to be the most disorganized country in the world. I can't work or think in a disorganized environment and although I love coming back to Nigeria, I only have the stomach to stay for one week. I haven't been there in several years and my wife and I will be visiting on business in a few weeks. She's terrified of all the horrible stories that we read about armed robbers and police officers. Nigerians are extremely friendly - that we know and I love the food and the culture however, there are many things about the culture that I don't like. People seem to assume that if you're a foreigner, you must have money or you're rich. This is far from the truth. We work very hard and the little we make goes on paying bills. It also seems like everyone wants to be bribed. I am vehemently against bribing anybody so I've come to this site to find out if our fears of Nigeria (Lagos, Ikeja, Sango-Ota, Abeokuta) are justified. A partner of mine just told me not to come to Sango-Ota because it's a violent city with "area boys and boko haram". I don't know how true this is so any advice would be wonderful. Please no ignorant comments. Mature, well thought, and educated advice only needed!!! Thank you guys!!!
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Annie2gud(f): 3:37pm On Sep 30, 2013
What is this one saying?
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by ilaugh1: 3:41pm On Sep 30, 2013
Who cares? Nigeria say him want you? Abegi. Yearn something else. I live in the UK since 2002 and I come home every 3 months, and I have now settled back in Nigeria since 2011 and all these negative things you talked about never held me back, and now I run my own business, live in my own mansion and raising up my kids in the same Nigeria. Abeg, if you wan die for obodo oyinbo, you free.

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Annie2gud(f): 4:03pm On Sep 30, 2013
Bros no vex....mah ask you questions.you said you are scared of naija abifine no problem.pls dont come back again.remain in ur asylum.2ndly..you said naija,is the most corrupted country in the whole world?(you see ur life)3rdly you said you,are scared of armrobbery and kidnappers.sorry to burst ur bubble(bros,we now have ALUU...i hope they have also brief you) How can you come into the country that you have written off? Why not remain in yankee where you are also stimatized or even called a HE-BOOn?pls here is the thing...kindly remain there,dont migrate back to finish our GARRI that is nt even enuf for us. Naija is bad,that i know,but common sense would hav told you that,this is the only country we ve got.its our collective duties to Right every wrong.tho it will take them. No mata how bad naika is....the thing is, I LOVE my country.its the only country in the world that,anybody cant sneak in without a visas.that z really fun.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by andy24(m): 4:07pm On Sep 30, 2013
Think again.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Annie2gud(f): 4:15pm On Sep 30, 2013
@ip..i forgot to add...we also have Boko haram here and Mend......oh Are you said you cant think,in a noisy environment.....please relocate back fast,make we carry the smoke and Noise of our ..i pass my Neibor generator fizzle ur eardrums out.mtcheew
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by adepojuot: 4:34pm On Sep 30, 2013
Die abroad naa,who care.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by femijck(m): 9:12pm On Sep 30, 2013
Maybe u can come point out atleast 1 boko boy u know of in sango ota....i relocated to sango about 10years ago and uptil now i have no regrets
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 10:18pm On Sep 30, 2013
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by dasparrow: 1:03am On Oct 01, 2013
@Post

Most of the comments here make me realize that we have a long way to go as a nation. undecided

Anyways, OP, your fears are not out of place but you will survive. If people like me who were born in the West and have lived in the West for most parts of my life could come back home albeit temporarily to serve the nation (NYSC), then a brief business-related visit should not cause you that much fear. However, you do have to be cautious.

First of all, Boko haram is not really blowing up or killing anyone in the South West which is where Lagos and Abeokuta fall under. Boko haram is attacking innocent people in the northern part of the country. As for policemen and bribe, if you are not going to be driving yourself, you don't have to worry about them. The driver who might be driving you will just have to be extra polite to the police officers when passing through checkpoints. As for your wife, if she is not comfortable coming to Nigeria, she can stay back home. It is not mandatory going to a country one does not feel comfortable or safe in. When it comes to armed robbers, if you don't go about wearing uber expensive clothes and jewelry, you should be fine.

In regards to Nigeria being disorganized, I agree with you. Nigeria is chaotic and lack of law and order is the order of the day. Nigeria is not for the faint hearted I must admit. Nigeria is the only country I have lived in where a driver sees a pedestrian and instead of slowing down continues at full accelerated speed not minding that he stands the chance of killing the pedestrian. Human life is not worth much in Nigeria. As for Nigerians being friendly, I say hmmmm. Nigerians are only friendly to people whom they perceive to be financially flamboyant. The average Nigerian is rude, lacks compassion and love for others, is greedy, selfish and self centered.

I came back to Nigeria to see if Nigeria has gotten better but I realized that the more things changed, the more things remained the same. I will not raise a family in Nigeria. The society is stressful and I now understand why the average life expectancy rate of a Nigerian in Nigeria is a measly 53 years. I suggest you come for your business meeting. Don't announce your arrival too much, keep a low profile and once your business meeting is over, quietly go back to your base. That is how I would have done it. Good luck!

9 Likes

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:43am On Oct 01, 2013
well said and spot on.

dasparrow: @Post

Most of the comments here make me realize that we have a long way to go as a nation. undecided

Anyways, OP, your fears are not out of place but you will survive. If people like me who were born in the West and have lived in the West for most parts of my life could come back home albeit temporarily to serve the nation (NYSC), then a brief business-related visit should not cause you that much fear. However, you do have to be cautious.

First of all, Boko haram is not really blowing up or killing anyone in the South West which is where Lagos and Abeokuta fall under. Boko haram is attacking innocent people in the northern part of the country. As for policemen and bribe, if you are not going to be driving yourself, you don't have to worry about them. The driver who might be driving you will just have to be extra polite to the police officers when passing through checkpoints. As for your wife, if she is not comfortable coming to Nigeria, she can stay back home. It is not mandatory going to a country one does not feel comfortable or safe in. When it comes to armed robbers, if you don't go about wearing uber expensive clothes and jewelry, you should be fine.

In regards to Nigeria being disorganized, I agree with you. Nigeria is chaotic and lack of law and order is the order of the day. Nigeria is not for the faint hearted I must admit. Nigeria is the only country I have lived in where a driver sees a pedestrian and instead of slowing down continues at full accelerated speed not minding that he stands the chance of killing the pedestrian. Human life is not worth much in Nigeria. As for Nigerians being friendly, I say hmmmm. Nigerians are only friendly to people whom they perceive to be financially flamboyant. The average Nigerian is rude, lacks compassion and love for others, is greedy, selfish and self centered.

I came back to Nigeria to see if Nigeria has gotten better but I realized that the more things changed, the more things remained the same. I will not raise a family in Nigeria. The society is stressful and I now understand why the average life expectancy rate of a Nigerian in Nigeria is a measly 53 years. I suggest you come for your business meeting. Don't announce your arrival too much, keep a low profile and once your business meeting is over, quietly go back to your base. That is how I would have done it. Good luck!

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Chinwem(f): 7:15pm On Oct 01, 2013
@ dasparrow , well said!!

@OP, I hope by now you ve realised that there are many bitter and frustrated people in Nigeria who tend to despise people coming from overseas for reasons best known to Them, evidenced by the nature of people's comments here in response to a genuine concern of yours

You can't expect someone who is probably not sure of their next meal, daily frustrated by corrupt police , no light, no water, ASUU strike, insecurity at home and on the road .....etc to radiate much happiness or basic human courtesy

A simple query was made by OP and see the amount of toxic venom that has been spewed out by people who were not forced to comment....smh

Dasparrow has said it all Op. kindly take her advice. Goodluck

3 Likes

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by obanlaIsaiah(m): 7:59pm On Oct 01, 2013
@Daspar and ogak thnks 4 building our father land
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 8:27pm On Oct 01, 2013
You are welcome!! grin grin

obanla Isaiah: @Daspar and ogak thnks 4 building our father land

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Lucasbalo(m): 1:49am On Oct 02, 2013
95percent of this people pontificating about Nigeria will leave the country in a jiffy if d opportunity opens up. The op doesn't deserve all the insults being thrown at him. I don't know why people can't be civil anymore .

4 Likes

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by ilaugh1: 8:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
Chinwem: @ dasparrow , well said!!

@OP, I hope by now you ve realised that there are many bitter and frustrated people in Nigeria who tend to despise people coming from overseas for reasons best known to Them, evidenced by the nature of people's comments here in response to a genuine concern of yours

You can't expect someone who is probably not sure of their next meal, daily frustrated by corrupt police , no light, no water, ASUU strike, insecurity at home and on the road .....etc to radiate much happiness or basic human courtesy

A simple query was made by OP and see the amount of toxic venom that has been spewed out by people who were not forced to comment....smh

Dasparrow has said it all Op. kindly take her advice. Goodluck

Comments like this shows the frustration of some people. Why will people despise people coming to Nigeria from abroad? Haba. So you want people to make only the comment you and the op want to hear. Life aint like that mate.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by obanlaIsaiah(m): 9:11pm On Oct 02, 2013
i_laugh:

Comments like this shows the frustration of some people. Why will people despise people coming to Nigeria from abroad? Haba. So you want people to make only the comment you and the op want to hear. Life aint like that mate.
grin
i_laugh:

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Naijalastborn(m): 9:22pm On Oct 02, 2013
You can try Syria, if you are Scared of Nigeria.. Maybe you will be Glad then
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:02am On Oct 03, 2013
Thank you to "dasparrow" and the few educated and schooled people who responded. Your advice was invaluable and I will take them to heart.

To the uneducated, ignorant, uneducated, unschooled and classless commenters: idiots like you are the reasons why Nigeria, albeit a wealthy country, will never progress. Your comments show who you are as people and I hope you're NOT raising your kids that way. Your ignorance is astounding. I'm a White guy who has taken to the Nigerian culture. My wife is Nigerian, although she's never been to Nigeria. I do business with Nigeria and I've been for many years, my charity organization is solely to assist Nigerian kids to get the best education. For personal reasons, I haven't been to Nigeria in more than 5 years and I came here expecting to learn something different but I'm met with ignorant, comments from uneducated bush people. How dare you? You acted like a bunch of animalistic lunatics who need to be under medical supervision. Even though your command of the English Grammar was abysmal, I managed to understand what you wrote. You sounded pathetic and jealous. I suggest you take your untamed anger and learn how to write proper English language. You disgraced yourself but thankfully, your comments are not reminiscent of most Nigerians who are friendly and helpful. You're a bunch of idiots who should hang your heads in shame! I doubt you will ever find success in your life with attitudes like this. You wonder why the country is a mess? You're the problem in the country!!! Even if you had criticisms, they could have been constructive criticisms not the venom you all spewed! I will share your comments on my facebook wall and will also share "Dasapprow"s comments so people can recognize the difference between educated and uneducated Nigerians. Getting a fake college degree doesn't make you educated. You're incapable of responding to a basic question in a civilized manner. What the hell am I doing on this website? I feel sorry for the country with attitudes like these!!! Deuces!

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:05am On Oct 03, 2013
Thank you for your most thought out, decent comments. I will take them to heart. All the best!
dasparrow: @Post

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by dasparrow: 4:42am On Oct 03, 2013
MJBUSA: Thank you for your most thought out, decent comments. I will take them to heart. All the best!

You're welcome.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by ilaugh1: 6:05am On Oct 03, 2013
MJBUSA: Thank you to "dasparrow" and the few educated and schooled people who responded. Your advice was invaluable and I will take them to heart.

To the uneducated, ignorant, uneducated, unschooled and classless commenters: idiots like you are the reasons why Nigeria, albeit a wealthy country, will never progress. Your comments show who you are as people and I hope you're NOT raising your kids that way. Your ignorance is astounding. I'm a White guy who has taken to the Nigerian culture. My wife is Nigerian, although she's never been to Nigeria. I do business with Nigeria and I've been for many years, my charity organization is solely to assist Nigerian kids to get the best education. For personal reasons, I haven't been to Nigeria in more than 5 years and I came here expecting to learn something different but I'm met with ignorant, comments from uneducated bush people. How dare you? You acted like a bunch of animalistic lunatics who need to be under medical supervision. Even though your command of the English Grammar was abysmal, I managed to understand what you wrote. You sounded pathetic and jealous. I suggest you take your untamed anger and learn how to write proper English language. You disgraced yourself but thankfully, your comments are not reminiscent of most Nigerians who are friendly and helpful. You're a bunch of idiots who should hang your heads in shame! I doubt you will ever find success in your life with attitudes like this. You wonder why the country is a mess? You're the problem in the country!!! Even if you had criticisms, they could have been constructive criticisms not the venom you all spewed! I will share your comments on my facebook wall and will also share "Dasapprow"s comments so people can recognize the difference between educated and uneducated Nigerians. Getting a fake college degree doesn't make you educated. You're incapable of responding to a basic question in a civilized manner. What the hell am I doing on this website? I feel sorry for the country with attitudes like these!!! Deuces!

LOL. Bla bla bla. You must be pained because people told you what you dont want to hear. You are a white guy so what? We should start jubilating? Or we should retract our comments because you are white?

Your wife is Nigerian, and she's never been to Nigeria, yet you call her Nigerian. LOL. Its arrogance and crass to call people names because you dont like the comments they made, why come to a public forum if you know you wont be tolerant of other people's views? I tire for your kind of white man sha. By the way, you type and write like a black man, nothing else.

Tell me one thing you have mentioned that doesnt happen in which ever country you come from. Tell me. Armed robbery and police brutality, tell me how that is special to Nigeria alone. O boy, if you want to talk rash against someone's else country like you did, then expect such comments like you got. simple. Not all of us use our left hand to point to our father's house, those who do that are called bastards. Punch.

Like someone said, no matter how bad my country s, I love my country and will not stand watching while someone talks rash about it when I know most of his or her assertions are baseless and un necessary balderdash.

Are you any better than the scores of white or foreign people I see on Airplanes which come to Nigeria on a daily basis? Are you any better than the scores I see in Lagos Abuja PH Kano etc on a daily basis?
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:09pm On Oct 03, 2013
Nobody wants you to jubilate because I'm White. I don't live my life basing my relationships on race. I have more Nigerian friends abroad and in Nigeria than you - a Nigerian. I wanted to hear an unbiased opinion from people I didn't know but some of you acted the way Westerners think you are - ANIMALS!!!! . I'm a human being like you. The funniest thing is that uncivilized morons like are you in church every Sundays for hours on end praying and dancing and praising A WHITE JESUS because you dirty arses have been so brainwashed. I came here for a simple advice and you cannot be civilized enough to answer like a human being. Even animals behave better than many of you. Thankfully, the Nigerians that I work with, that are part of my family are nothing like you morons. The rules of thread is clear: No insults, don't provoke but you can't even follow rules on a basic website. No wonder Nigeria is still the way it is and it's because of people like you who can't see past their ignorance and hate. I will never deal with unreasonable, nasty, vile and twisted morons like you and many of the ugly commenters. Never! My type of people are the ones who left unbiased comments. People like Asparrow. I hope for your sake and the sake of your country, that you learn how to behave like human beings!!! Nowhere in my questions was I in anyway trashing Nigeria. You're an uncivilized, insensitive slowpoke and that's how you viewed my comments and view life. So, does it make you feel like man to spew your nonsense and hate? You're nothing but an ANIMAL!!! I apologize to all animals out there because I love animals but they behave better than some of you commenters on this wall. Shame on you! Nigeria has been Independent of British Rule for nearly 60years now and shitty attitudes like yours are the reasons that Nigeria is still backwards in many aspects. ASparrow was right: Nigerians are RUDE, LACK COMPASSION and you, pal, have just proven him RIGHT but might I say that it's SOME NIGERIANS LIKE YOU. SHAME ON YOU!!!

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:12pm On Oct 03, 2013
As to your question about armed robbery and police brutality happening in the USA, they happen but not as often as they happen in your country because your individuals are a lot poorer than my country and besides, we have law and order,something I can't say for Nigeria. If you had law and order, your politicians wouldn't be stealing resources including money and hiding them in Switzerland!!! So, why don't you focus on changing your attitude for the better, maybe you must may contribute positively to your country and the world. The way some of you have shown yourselves to be, you're a product of your environment!!!!
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 2:15pm On Oct 03, 2013
To ASparrow: You've been fantastic and thank you for representing Nigeria in a positive manner. These ugly commenters are not on your level nor will they ever be. I joined this site to learn more about Nigerians and I did!!!!. I will be coming to Nigeria in a few weeks to get my business done. It's all for the good of the people. We're lucky to have the ability to be able to fund education in Nigeria but these ugly comments will not turn me off. These ugly people are nothing to me because they're uncivilized so how do you listen to uncivilized people?. I have spent the last 5 1/2 years battling a serious illness and these idiots are nothing compared to what I've battled and won against! I have no doubt that with your attitude, you continue to advance positively in life and I wish you all the very best. Nigeria needs more people with your type of mentality! I doubt if some of these commenters will get anywhere in life with their bad attitude but you've solidified my beliefs that there are plenty more people like you in the country even though you were born in a Western world and raised with Western beliefs however, it seems to me that your parents did great raising you!!!
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by justwise(m): 2:28pm On Oct 03, 2013
@Op.

I feel so bad to see your ID showing 'Nobody' meaning that you have deactivated your account and left, i'm really sorry for the way few individuals reacted to your genuine concern.

I did not see this thread until now, would have done something before it got to this point.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 3:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
The guy was really pissed off, nairalanders have a very bad way of responding to questions. To Nigerians,it's the norm but others might find it offensive.

But the thread was funny Sha.

As per post,me wey be omo Naija dey fear to even visit. You have to plan very well before visiting.

1 Like

Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by ilaugh1: 12:54am On Oct 04, 2013
Chillisauce: The guy was really pissed off, nairalanders have a very bad way of responding to questions. To Nigerians,it's the norm but others might find it offensive.

But the thread was funny Sha.

As per post,me wey be omo Naija dey fear to even visit. You have to plan very well before visiting.

So? You havent been to Forums where bashing blacks is the order of the day. You will shed tears.
Re: I'm Always Scared To Visit Nigeria! by Nobody: 12:57pm On Oct 04, 2013
[size=30pt]see EFULUEFU shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked[/size]

(1) (Reply)

Photos Of Overloaded Vehicles / Spain Tourist Visa / Dubai Or South Africa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 93
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.