Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,762 members, 7,952,133 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:07 AM

I Am Not An Ex-christian - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / I Am Not An Ex-christian (946 Views)

Ex-Christian Professor Gary Carl (Muhammad) Legenhausen Thoughts on Islam / Ex-Christian: 'Why I Became Shia Muslim'; Inspirational Stories (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Am Not An Ex-christian by tbaba1234: 12:25pm On Oct 01, 2013
Beautiful piece

I am not an Ex-Christian

I used to think I left Christianity, but I realise that is not the whole truth. Like many professed Christians in the UK, I was Christian only 'once a week' with regards to practicing the belief. Although I believed in God, and I believed in Jesus as the messiah and had high regard for the Bible - to call Christianity my 'way of life' would have been a stretch of the imagination.

What does having a 'way of life' even mean? If a way of life meant calling oneself an adherent of a religion, practicing it once a week, and saying prayers before going to sleep - then yes, christianity was my 'way of life'. But the truth was, my way of life wasn't Christianity - for how can something be the way I live my life when it has so little manifestation in my life, and didn't contribute any purpose to it. I lived my life WHILE being a Christian, not BECAUSE of it.

So what was my way of life? Well, you can tell what your way of life is, by looking at what purpose you have submitted your life to.

From a child, like the millions of children around me, I was fed incessant messages, 'live for yourself', 'enjoy life', 'be free', 'paradise is here - live your dreams', 'acquiring material objects will make you happy'. I was told that I was the centre of my own universe. It even affected my 'Christianity', where I would only pray to God, when I wanted some SERVICE from him, to grant me more benefit to my 'purpose', which was ME.

This was the way of life I believed, I conformed to, I SUBMITTED TO. It was the vain belief in my own self-entitlement, and my own entitlement to 'Freedom', which was nothing more than merely another form of enslavement - but the society I lived in perceived it not. For when we make our own desires our god, then those who can influence them, become our masters. I realised since, that all the tastes I had, all the interests I pursued, all the dreams I had, were given to me, and I accepted them falsely under the belief that they were my own. That was the real 'inception', and I was living in a dream spun around me.

'Have you (O Mohammed) seen him who has taken as his Ilah (God) his own desire ?...They are only like cattle - nay; they are even farther astray from the path (i.e. even worse than cattle)' [Qur'an 25:43-44]

I have since learned that this way of life has a name, and like a man who takes off a blindfold, I realised the true colours of all the things I only previously was allowed only to feel. This name is not 'freedom', nor is it 'liberty', but rather it was political system based upon the cult of the individual -otherwise known as 'Liberalism'.

Christianity no longer rules the West - it is long gone. Even the most fanatical of evangelical Christians are but shadows of their ancestors. Liberalism has neutered all religion it encounters, and renders it impotent. Religion used to be the medieval word for what we would call 'Ideology', but now it has only the meaning of a set of spiritual beliefs and rituals. To describe the meaning it once had, people use the new words of 'ideology', or 'worldview', and restrict it only to descriptions for modern day 'religions' of Liberalism (secularism, capitalism, democracy, individualism) and Communism.

Religion can never be separated from politics, because religion WAS about politics - it was about life, about how to live every facet of it, about its very purpose.

But Liberalism defeated Christianity and confined it. So thorough was its defeat of Christianity, that Christians now interpret their bible according to Liberal morality. This leads to absurd situations, as we encounter Christians who debate with Muslims honestly believing that Islam (along with the 'Islamic God') is unjust, because of various laws Islam advocate - DESPITE these exact same laws (or harsher) existing in the bible!

The fact that for hundreds of years, Christians hardly ever criticised Islam for its laws until the 'modern era' is no coincidence.

So I was never a real true Christian, in fact, I'd be hard pressed to name any Christian that has remained true (in belief) to their Bible's teachings [e.g. The Bible bans Usury - but how many Christians denounce Interest-based loans?].

In truth, I am an ex-Liberal. I left the Liberal way of life, and renounced its description of the purpose for my life to live for myself. I, by the grace of God, freed myself to my true purpose as a creation of God. And just as everything in the universe is under a natural law behind its creation, so God has revealed the natural law for mankind, a law that brings us into relationship with God, and into harmony alongside all creation - Islam (i.e. submission to God). And just as the laws of the universe are operative without exception, rest, or break, so the way of life for humans is not limited to only once a week, or just 5 times a day, but orders all aspects of our lives, including every minute or every day, in every area of human activity, private, social, spiritual AND political.

The true way of life, is nothing but the submission to the creator of all things - Allah (Swt). This does not mean that my life merely has new rituals to perform, and new beliefs to believe in - compared to those while I was Christian. But rather, Islam as my way of life is my very purpose. It doesn't just give you rules and limits to the actions you perform while you strive for your goals; it tells you what your very goals should be.

If something is your purpose of life, how can it be detached from lifes affairs?

'These are clear evidences to men, and a Guidance and Mercy to those of assured Faith'. [Quran 45:20]

As young as was, I realised from early on in my life, that there was something wrong with the society I lived it, something unnatural about its construction - like humans were not meant to live like this. I questioned and questioned, until when I encountered Islam, it gave me liberation (by God's grace) from the darkness of the Liberalism, and it offered truth and justice, and the promise of a better world. Its comprehensive solutions to all lifes problems were elegant and rational, and it was only then as a human, I was able to see what was missing - that empty void in the human heart, that people in the West spend their lives trying to find new entertainments to keep them distracted from. Those who run out of distractions, or slow down, become depressed.

Imagine my surprise, to discover the meaning of life, and its comprehensive solutions for all life's affairs was already within the grasp of a billion people (the Muslim Ummah), yet virtually none of them applied it in their societies! There I was, having to claw out of a pit of ignorance to find something that was already under the noses of a billion people, but all their governments and institutions - nay most of the people themselves, lived lives without purpose, blindly imitating customs, beliefs and traditions bequeathed to them from their ancestors which they understood only superficially, or some of them were blindly imitating the fashions and cultures of their colonial subjugators - which were Liberals!

And if that was not bad enough, there are people amongst the Ummah (but it is questionable whether they could be considered still part of the Ummah), who identified themselves as secularists and Liberals (called Modernists) - who were calling to the very ideology I had left behind! But they were not just calling Muslims to renounce Islam, but shockingly, they were calling Muslims to embrace Liberalism/Secularism as COMPATIBLE with Islam! These Modernists were either ignorant of what Secularism/Liberalism is, or they were ignorant of what Islam is - but suffice to say, the object of their call is a deception and absurdity.

Of course, I'd be damned if I was going to let them deceive Muslims. For I knew very well what lies behind the pleasant sounding sound-bytes of 'freedom' and 'liberty', and the truth was that it gives neither!

I realised that what the West is trying to do now to Islam, they had already (successfully) done to Christianity. We were next to be absorbed, neutered and confined to a small social prison cell in the Liberal new world order. But unlike Christianity, the Quran and the Sunnah could not be so easily absorbed - for the very mission of Islam was to make clear what was previously unclear and corrupted by the people's of previous revelations. Where the Jews and Christians had failed, Islam would succeed. Now is not the time for Muslims and Christians and Jews to fight, for very few truly exist of the latter. Now is the time for Muslims to fight on behalf of the religion of Abraham (millah ul Ibrahim), and bring back the world to a state of harmony and peace, from the incessant social anarchy, crime, depression, injustice, environment pollution and wars for resources, that currently underline the Liberal world order.

'And now have We set thee (O Muhammad) on a clear road of (Our) Law; so follow it, and follow not the whims of those who know not' [Quran 45:18]

I left Liberalism after I realised its falsehood, and embraced Islam in pursuit of truth. I did not embrace Islam, only to return back to Liberalism!

So I renounce Liberalism, but not because I was part of a subjugated people in a ex-colonial country, nor am I merely being 'anti-west'. I renounce Liberalism which the modernists spew, because when I converted to Islam, I had already left Liberalism. For when I encountered the truth, it wiped away the falsehood that had ensnared me, and freed my mind.

“Nay, We hurl the Truth at falsehood so that it (the Truth) crushes it (falsehood), and lo! it (falsehood) vanishes. Woe to you for what you utter!” [Quran 21: 18]

So I call on my brothers and sisters, let us not fall as our predecessors fell. Let us not be awed by the temporary technological and military superiority of the Liberal nations - it won't last long, and there is nothing to say we can't match it if we really put our minds to it (under a purpose). Rather, let us return to our way of Life, Islam, a way of life, worldview, religion, ideology that gives us enlightenment, gives us guidance, gives us direction, gives us purpose, and - gives us life.

'O you who believe! answer (the call of) Allah and His Messenger when he calls you to that which gives you life; and know that Allah intervenes between man and his heart, and that to Him you shall be gathered' [Quran 8:24]

http://abdullahalandalusi.com/2013/09/30/i-am-not-an-ex-christian/

1 Like

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Shyeikulislam1(m): 12:43pm On Oct 01, 2013
My brother i must comment. I LOVE THIS PIECE. The problem the ummah is facing today is ignorance and hipocracy. the 'knowledgable' scholars are afraid to talk while the igorant ones will always want to impress non muslims. This is our problem. DESTRUCTION FROM WITHIN

1 Like

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by vedaxcool(m): 1:29pm On Oct 01, 2013
Brilliant piece, I only wish most of this liberals knew their true religion.
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Shyeikulislam1(m): 10:16pm On Oct 01, 2013
[quote author=vedaxcool]Brilliant piece, I only wish most of this liberals knew their true religion.[/so who are the liberals]
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by maclatunji: 12:25am On Oct 02, 2013
Interesting and very deep piece. It addresses the criticisms of the earlier piece without really intending to do so I imagine.

That is how being consistent with your principles can put you on a higher pedestal.
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 5:39am On Oct 02, 2013
Why not put this thread on the front page so that christians can challenge it?

If it is not fair to see islam from only the viewpoint of an ex-muslim, why then would it be ok to view christianity from an ex-christian?

There are so many holes in the article

1) Overgeneralization

tbaba1234: Beautiful piece

I am not an Ex-Christian

I used to think I left Christianity, but I realise that is not the whole truth. Like many professed Christians in the UK, I was Christian only 'once a week' with regards to practicing the belief. Although I believed in God, and I believed in Jesus as the messiah and had high regard for the Bible - to call Christianity my 'way of life' would have been a stretch of the imagination.

What does having a 'way of life' even mean? If a way of life meant calling oneself an adherent of a religion, practicing it once a week, and saying prayers before going to sleep - then yes, christianity was my 'way of life'. But the truth was, my way of life wasn't Christianity - for how can something be the way I live my life when it has so little manifestation in my life, and didn't contribute any purpose to it. I lived my life WHILE being a Christian, not BECAUSE of it.

The UK is a diverse country. There are lots of christians who practice their faith rigorously. Just because the avergae british christian isnt very religious, one should not discount the millions who are very religions.

Furthermore, immigration being on the rise in the UK, we have many immigrant or international churches which are always full. For instance, there
are West African churches in South london that are always full at every service or mass.

Then there is ireland, where there are many pockets of "strong" christianity.

The other generalization is that the author does not look at the USA or other christian nations. He uses his experience in the UK as the background for his point.

2) The false claim that religion is always about politics (a very odd point from someone who knows christianity)

I am not an Ex-Christian

Religion can never be separated from politics, because religion WAS about politics - it was about life, about how to live every facet of it, about its very purpose.

Jesus said "give unto Caesar what what is Caesar's and to God what is God's" (Matthew 22;21)

The above quote has been used by christians to argue for a separation from church and state. Separation from religion and politics.

The quote is one of the most popular quotes in the bible when it comes to politics. A muslim might not know this but it is appalling to find a christian who doesnt.

Jesus was never into politics. He never took on any office. He focused on preaching the word, leaving the natural state of affairs in the society to the politicians.

===============================================================

I could go on and on about the flaws in the article but let me leave it here

1 Like

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 5:42am On Oct 02, 2013
I will humbly ask the op and the mods to listen to people who are/were christians and also live in the UK to get a balanced view on this subject.

As someone that has these characteristics, I wont lie that I am disappointed with the article.
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Shyeikulislam1(m): 5:59am On Oct 02, 2013
In Ireland where chriatains are slaughtering each other. right? But such news cannot make a headline since its not related to islam
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 6:21am On Oct 02, 2013

I am not an Ex-Christian

I have since learned that this way of life has a name, and like a man who takes off a blindfold, I realised the true colours of all the things I only previously was allowed only to feel. This name is not 'freedom', nor is it 'liberty', but rather it was political system based upon the cult of the individual -otherwise known as 'Liberalism'.

Christianity no longer rules the West - it is long gone. Even the most fanatical of evangelical Christians are but shadows of their ancestors. Liberalism has neutered all religion it encounters, and renders it impotent. Religion used to be the medieval word for what we would call 'Ideology', but now it has only the meaning of a set of spiritual beliefs and rituals. To describe the meaning it once had, people use the new words of 'ideology', or 'worldview', and restrict it only to descriptions for modern day 'religions' of Liberalism (secularism, capitalism, democracy, individualism) and Communism.

But Liberalism defeated Christianity and confined it. So thorough was its defeat of Christianity, that Christians now interpret their bible according to Liberal morality. This leads to absurd situations, as we encounter Christians who debate with Muslims honestly believing that Islam (along with the 'Islamic God') is unjust, because of various laws Islam advocate - DESPITE these exact same laws (or harsher) existing in the bible!

Criticising the west unfairly
First and foremost, liberalism is a multi-dimensional word with many meanings to start with. To use "liberalism" just like that to criticise christianity and the west just makes the article look like lazy journalism. Liberalism as a concept has many facets and underlying theories and concepts. A simple wikipedia or google search will show you that

Furthermore, not everyone in the UK is a liberal or suscribes to liberalism. There are many conservatives in the government who are socially/culturally conservative- especially with immigration and protecting "British culture". I would still have to admit that in general, the UK is a liberal society- which leads me to my last and most in point.....

Liberalism did not defeat christianity. Liberalism is not a competing religion or way of life. Christianity declines with advancement, enlightenment and freedom. Take the top ten advanced countries in the world- all of them are secular.

However, let me explain with the USA; the USA is the most religious country in the West (among "western" countries). However, the USA is facing its fastest decline in christianity over the decades in the last few years. Young adults are now becoming irreligious. What is the reason they give? Discrimination, evolution, the internet, restricting freedom, science etc.....all these things listed boils down to 2 facts

-the internet is a source of knowledge that these people use to learn about religion which mostly turns them against it
-these teens are demanding a logical explanation for societal issues that religion cant give- why discriminate against gays? why tell us not to wear sexy outfits? why are you against evolution?
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 6:24am On Oct 02, 2013
Shyeikul islam1: In Ireland where chriatains are slaughtering each other. right? But such news cannot make a headline since its not related to islam

Come on.....this is not the 80's or 90's
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by tbaba1234: 6:53am On Oct 02, 2013
Logicboy... grin grin

1 Like

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by vedaxcool(m): 8:14am On Oct 02, 2013
Babadeen:

Criticising the west unfairly
First and foremost, liberalism is a multi-dimensional word with many meanings to start with. To use "liberalism" just like that to criticise christianity and the west just makes the article look like lazy journalism. Liberalism as a concept has many facets and underlying theories and concepts. A simple wikipedia or google search will show you that

Furthermore, not everyone in the UK is a liberal or suscribes to liberalism. There are many conservatives in the government who are socially/culturally conservative- especially with immigration and protecting "British culture". I would still have to admit that in general, the UK is a liberal society- which leads me to my last and most in point.....

Liberalism did not defeat christianity. Liberalism is not a competing religion or way of life. Christianity declines with advancement, enlightenment and freedom. Take the top ten advanced countries in the world- all of them are secular.

However, let me explain with the USA; the USA is the most religious country in the West (among "western" countries). However, the USA is facing its fastest decline in christianity over the decades in the last few years. Young adults are now becoming irreligious. What is the reason they give? Discrimination, evolution, the internet, restricting freedom, science etc.....all these things listed boils down to 2 facts

-the internet is a source of knowledge that these people use to learn about religion which mostly turns them against it
-these teens are demanding a logical explanation for societal issues that religion cant give- why discriminate against gays? why tell us not to wear sexy outfits? why are you against evolution?

"Logic"boy, liberal interpretation of Christianity like the Anglican church permitting gay bishops etc, christianity is adopting liberals views on its religious teachings . . . tomorrow the ungrateful being in you would call here a cave yet every now and then you sneaked into the cave, poor you! grin grin grin grin
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 8:56am On Oct 02, 2013
vedaxcool:

"Logic"boy, liberal interpretation of Christianity like the Anglican church permitting gay bishops etc, christianity is adopting liberals views on its religious teachings . . . tomorrow the ungrateful being in you would call here a cave yet every now and then you sneaked into the cave, poor you! grin grin grin grin

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by obinrinrere: 1:00pm On Oct 03, 2013
@tbaba
Pls can u 4ward d stuff(shame in the quran) u promised taimmy(poster of what should i do)to my box.I tried sending u a text but.
Obinrinrere@yahoo.com.
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by obinrinrere: 1:05pm On Oct 03, 2013
[quote][/quote] @tbaba
Pls can u 4ward d stuff(shame in the quran) u promised taimmy(poster of what should i do)to my box.I tried sending u a text but.
Obinrinrere@yahoo.com.
Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by cleanvessel(m): 6:18pm On Oct 03, 2013
It is a pity. Heavens do not recorgnise religion. Religion is only an identity for those who have the same faith.

No wonder Jesus didn't name any religion. None of God's true prophets proclaimed any religion. It does not take anybody to heaven. What takes people to heaven is knowing God through Jesus. Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Yes, Christianity is dwindling in number. You haven't seen anything yet. Jesus said ''when I come back will I find faith on earth''?

Heaven is meant for a few people. Narrow is the way that leads there. Broad is the way that leads to Hell, the population is on daily increase. Jesus said the heavens rejoice if a person repents. For just ONE person who escape Hell. Heaven is not for the majority.

Jesus is not interested in quantity but quality. The Disciples were once up to seventy in number but reduced to twelve in one day. Jesus turned to the remaining twelve and asked them if they would not go away too. He was not interested in population.

1 Like

Re: I Am Not An Ex-christian by Babadeen(m): 8:36pm On Oct 03, 2013
cleanvessel: It is a pity. Heavens do not recorgnise religion. Religion is only an identity for those who have the same faith.

No wonder Jesus didn't name any religion. None of God's true prophets proclaimed any religion. It does not take anybody to heaven. What takes people to heaven is knowing God through Jesus. Jesus is the only way to heaven.

Yes, Christianity is dwindling in number. You haven't seen anything yet. Jesus said ''when I come back will I find faith on earth''?

Heaven is meant for a few people. Narrow is the way that leads there. Broad is the way that leads to Hell, the population is on daily increase. Jesus said the heavens rejoice if a person repents. For just ONE person who escape Hell. Heaven is not for the majority.

Jesus is not interested in quantity but quality. The Disciples were once up to seventy in number but reduced to twelve in one day. Jesus turned to the remaining twelve and asked them if they would not go away too. He was not interested in population.

Quality not quantity

(1) (Reply)

Muslim Youth - The Struggle To Maintain The Islamic Personality / The Confused Wahhabi Gumi At It Again / Was Muhammad Certain Of His Salvation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.