Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,191,970 members, 7,946,203 topics. Date: Wednesday, 11 September 2024 at 02:20 PM

I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson - European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Football (EPL, UEFA, La Liga) / I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson (478 Views)

Emmanuel Emenike To Join Chelsea In £15million Deal / Alex Ferguson’s Last Chewed Gum For Sale On E-bay / Wigan Sell Victor Moses To Chelsea In A Deal Worth 9m (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 9:20am On Oct 03, 2013
Alex Ferguson has revealed that he turned down an approach by Roman Abramovich to become Chelsea manager in 2003.

Ferguson, speaking to Charlie Rose on American network PBS, claimed that he had been contacted by an intermediary acting on behalf of the Chelsea owner.

However, Ferguson rejected Abramovich’s overtures and Chelsea kept hold of Claudio Ranieri until the era-defining appointment of Jose Mourinho in 2004.

“They used an agent to approach me when Abramovich first took over the club,” Ferguson said.

“I said, ‘No chance,’”.

Ferguson was always going to be a tough act to follow having won an incredible 49 trophies in his 26-year tenure at Old Trafford but he was adamant that he would not be tempted out of retirement regardless of how successor David Moyes performs.

The former Everton boss has lost three of his first eight games in charge of the club.

“I’m not interested in managing again or getting myself worked up about Manchester United’s results,” Ferguson said.

“I made my decision. The timing was perfect. There is no way back for me now. I’ve got a new life.

“I want to go to the Kentucky Derby and the US Masters, the Melbourne Cup. I want to visit vineyards in Tuscany and France.”

Bookmakers have slashed the odds of Ferguson returning to the Old Trafford hot-seat if Moyes’s woes continue but he was keen to praise the credentials of his successor – despite the Red Devils making their worst start to a league season in 24 years.

“United are in good hands with David Moyes. He will be fine. He’s a good manager.”

http://www.punchng.com/sports/i-rejected-chelsea-in-2003-ferguson/
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 10:46am On Oct 04, 2013
MODS, front page thingz na
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 11:02pm On Oct 04, 2013
Who cares?
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 11:06pm On Oct 04, 2013
joel lala: MODS, front page thingz na
how much will be paid into your Wema bank account if it reaches the frontpage? huh! I expected the frontpage to be occupied with important/responsible threads and not crazy threads.
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 7:01am On Oct 05, 2013
young-dude:
how much will be paid into your Wema bank account if it reaches the frontpage? huh! I expected the frontpage to be occupied with important/responsible threads and not crazy threads.

Na you get nairaland..abeg siddon for one corner jare.
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 7:16am On Oct 05, 2013
young-dude:
Who cares?

typical manure fans..is it because moyes is nt performing.
Re: I Rejected Chelsea In 2003 – Ferguson by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 05, 2013
joel lala:

typical manure fans..is it because moyes is nt performing.
abeg God 4bid me to be a manure fan. I better support Wigan Athletic if I had no other alternative... meanwhile ******* KTBFFH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(1) (Reply)

Man United To Name Stand After Bobby Charlton. / Euro 2016 Group C Germany Vs Ukraine Kick Off 8pm / EPL; Everton 1-1 Crystal Palace fulltime

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.