Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,419 members, 7,881,536 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 11:05 PM

Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine (2377 Views)

Reasons Why You Should Own A Diesel Car / 1000km Journey Using a 1.5L petrol engine, CLARION CALL / How To Convert My Petrol Engine To Diesel Engine (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by kingschild123(m): 6:31pm On Oct 03, 2013
Don't know how possible this is? Any clue from the house because someone told me its possible I just want to confirm
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by baconline(m): 9:13pm On Oct 03, 2013
No
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by hentech911: 4:28pm On Oct 05, 2013
yes it is possible to convert. change the engine and i think the ecu too. i have seen it done and working.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 5:49pm On Oct 05, 2013
OP, do you know why you haven't got much replies from based on experts or even people who know much about cars? Its simply because you failed to let people understand what you are really talking about, what car you want to convert and why you want to convert it to petrol engine. Well, I got good/bad news for you, a diesel engine is much more economical because it gives a higher MPG than its petrol equivalent, it also produces much torque than its petrol brother, newer diesel vehicles are even as quiet as their petrol, they run as quick as their petrol equivalent, and they are even burnt cleaner to produce less emmissions, and they are easy to start unlike diesel engines of the old. The only down side is diesel engines are heavy because they are made from steel while newer petrol engines are made from aluminium, and in Nigeria, Diesel is expensive, and if you are buying from road side sellers in gallons/jerry cans, I doubt the purity of the diesel.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by baconline(m): 7:24pm On Oct 05, 2013
We are sayn 2 different things,
1.Exchanging a deisel engine with a petrol engine
2.Converting a deisel engine to start using petrol

For 1 is yes
For 2 is no
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 05, 2013
baconline: We are sayn 2 different things,
1.Exchanging a deisel engine with a petrol engine
2.Converting a deisel engine to start using petrol

For 1 is yes
For 2 is no

The most accurate response on this thread.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
@Siena I asked for your view on Audi 1.8/2.0 2000 to 2005 preferably a quatrro as a daily transport car sir.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 8:07pm On Oct 05, 2013
kingschild123: Don't know how possible this is? Any clue from the house because someone told me its possible I just want to confirm

You don't mention what car you're referring to here - make, model and year. And why you wish to convert. Unless it's top secret?

Sadly, you guys don't learn. If you have a car, with an engine you don't like, then sell it, and buy the one you prefer. Rather than end up with a botched conversion. Then you'll come whining that your car's been ruined. There are more than enough threads on Nairaland's Car Talk section, about conversions gone horribly wrong.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 8:13pm On Oct 05, 2013
smartchoice: @Siena I asked for your view on Audi 1.8/2.0 2000 to 2005 preferably a quatrro as a daily transport car sir.

Please post this query in the Volkswagen / Audi issues resolution thread, so this thread doesn't get derailed.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by kingschild123(m): 7:10am On Oct 06, 2013
@ siena Its a Toyota Hi-Lux Vehicle 2008 model
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 8:56am On Oct 06, 2013
kingschild123: @ siena Its a Toyota Hi-Lux Vehicle 2008 model

That's better.

Why do you wish to convert an '08 Toyota Hiace Turbo Diesel to a gasoline engine??
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by kingschild123(m): 12:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
@ siena I have a Toyota Hi-Lux for sale but its diesel engine so a customer was like its possible to convert it to petrol, people don't like the diesel engine as they claim its hard to fix.
Re: Is It Possible To Convert A Diesel Engine To A Petrol Engine by Nobody: 12:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
kingschild123: @ siena I have a Toyota Hi-Lux for sale but its diesel engine so a customer was like its possible to convert it to petrol, people don't like the diesel engine as they claim its hard to fix.

For what it's worth, I'll offer my advise. Whether you take it is entirely up to you.

Converting such a late model car, to factory standard is NOT an easy exercise. Getting a petrol engine to run in a diesel chassis is the easy bit, running right is where problems start.

You need to pull your head ou of the clouds, and start thinking for yourself, rather than allow less knowledgable people to brainwash you. Read up on the pros and cons of a diesel engine, and decide what to do. Stop dealing with "hearsay". There are people out there who would prefer a diesel-engined truck (myself included).

For every buyer who would prefer a gasoline-fired truck, there are those who would rather buy an oil-burner. So simply bounce your current prospective buyer, and sell it as it is to one who wants a diesel, simple.

As I stated earlier, it's up to you whether you take my advise or not. Just one thing - should you decide to go ahead with a gasoline engine swap, and it goes horribly wrong, your "customer" would walk, and I'll be here to laugh my head off when you open a crying thread.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

How To Drive A Volvo Car With Faulty Automatic Transmission (video) / Accessories That Protect Your Vehicle / I Need A Reliable Person To Clear A Vehicle In Cotonou And Bring It To Nigeria.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.