Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,500 members, 7,937,444 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 03:47 AM

Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? (8734 Views)

Can One Lose His Salvation? / Was Judas Saved Or Did He Lose His Salvation? / What Shall It Profit A Man To Gain The Whole World And Lose His Soul (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 12:42pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ayomivic: How do you know you are saved
if you confess christ as ur saviour and believe in ur heart..Roman 10 vs 9
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 12:45pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777:

Judas didn't lose his salvation, he was never saved. No one was born again until Jesus rose from the dead, not even his disciples. It was when he rose from the dead and said to them 'receive ye the Holy ghost' -John 20v22, that they became born again. Judas was NEVER born again.

Actually he was saved by faith but he wasn't born again, no one got born again until Jesus resurrected
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 12:50pm On Oct 06, 2013
alexleo:

But Jesus told Nicodemus- except a man be born again he cannot see the kingdom of God. Had Jesus died and rose up when he made that statement? When Jesus told the woman who was caught in adultery- go and sin no more, has he died and ressurected?

How about those Jesus forgave their sins in -
Luke 5:20

20 And when he saw their faith, he said, “Man, your sins are forgiven you.

And Luke 7:48

48 And he said to her, “Your sins are forgiven.

Are you now saying that these people were not saved because this events took place before the death and ressurection of Jesus? How about the thief at the cross? He too wasn't saved? No bros.

Don't mix things up, they were saved is different from they were born again.

Before Christ resurrected, no one was born again, they were saved by faith, how do you think all the old testament saints were saved, do you think they got born again? No.

Jesus was only telling nicodemus the requirement of entering into heaven after he dies, Jesus knows nichodemus would be alive after he dies and so will need to be born again.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by ULQUIORRA: 12:51pm On Oct 06, 2013
hebrews 9:12 says CHRIST JESUS has given us eternal redemption by his blood once and for all. the word ETERNAL means forever saved. even if a christian backslides, that doesnt change the fact that he is a child of GOD. John 10:28:29 says that *nobody can pluck us out of the fathers hand* . So our salvation is perfect and complete. Even if we sin, the Bible says Christ Jesus forever lives to make intercession for us. The Bible also says that the Holy Spirit is a seal of our salvation (ephesians 1:12-13) a seal that is eternal and cannot be broken again. Even 1 Peter 1:5 says that we are kept by the power of GOD and that means more than protection or provision, it also means that we are kept as children, as sons of GOD and we remain saved even when we sin. Though this should not be seen as an excuse to sin because we should remember that we are the seeds of GOD and we dont sin (1john 3:9) and that we have crucified the lusts and affections of the flesh since we have put off the old self and its sinful ways (ephesians4:22-24, colossians 3:9, galatians 5:24). PRAISE BE TO GOD.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 12:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
Ayomivic: How do you know you are saved?

The Spirit of God bears witness with us that we are now the sons of God.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 12:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
alexleo: And what have you to say about this scripture? Hebrews 10:26.

[b]26 For if we go on sinning deliberately after receiving the knowledge of the truth, there no longer remains a sacrifice for sins.[\b]
amen, this passage is so interesting, to enter a state of delibrate sin after recieving the truth mean there nolonger remains the sacrifice for sin and consequently the effects of that sacrifice i.e the imputed righteousness of christ. In other words you have lost your salvation.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by MissyB3(f): 1:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
Once saved, forever saved.
However, this doesn't mean you're immune to/from temptation. When you sin, you ought to remorsefully confess your sin and ask for forgiveness. You don't go through the whole process of accepting Christ again.
The salvation Christ procured for us is eternal. Your assignment as a born again is perseverance.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by initiate: 1:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
If in the past one year or so you have not been diligently seeking God throught prayer and fasting and constant Bible study you are probably lost.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
Missy_B: Once saved, forever saved.
However, this doesn't mean you're immune to/from temptation. When you sin, you ought to remorsefully confess your sin and ask for forgiveness. You don't go through the whole process of accepting Christ again.
The salvation Christ procured for us is eternal. Your assignment as a born again is perseverance.
this is the error of calvinism, the bible doesnt teach once saved forever saved
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PHIPEX(m): 1:13pm On Oct 06, 2013
ULQUIORRA: hebrews 9:12 says CHRIST JESUS has given us eternal redemption by his blood once and for all. the word ETERNAL means forever saved. even if a christian backslides, that doesnt change the fact that he is a child of GOD. John 10:28:29 says that *nobody can pluck us out of the fathers hand* . So our salvation is perfect and complete. Even if we sin, the Bible says Christ Jesus forever lives to make intercession for us. The Bible also says that the Holy Spirit is a seal of our salvation (ephesians 1:12-13) a seal that is eternal and cannot be broken again. Even 1 Peter 1:5 says that we are kept by the power of GOD and that means more than protection or provision, it also means that we are kept as children, as sons of GOD and we remain saved even when we sin. Though this should not be seen as an excuse to sin because we should remember that we are the seeds of GOD and we dont sin (1john 3:9) and that we have crucified the lusts and affections of the flesh since we have put off the old self and its sinful ways (ephesians4:22-24, colossians 3:9, galatians 5:24). PRAISE BE TO GOD.

So in otherwords, a christian can become a native doctor and still retain his salvation right? That is not right according to the following scriptures.

Matthew 3:8-10 Bring forth therefore fruits meet for repentance:
And think not to say within yourselves, We have Abraham to our father: for I say unto you, that God is able of these stones to raise up children unto Abraham.
And now also the axe is laid unto the root of the trees: therefore every tree which bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire.

John 15 2-6 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit.
3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you.
I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.
If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 1:27pm On Oct 06, 2013
from the internet
...For though during this mortal life, men, however holy and just, fall at times into
at least light and daily sins, which are also called venial, they do not on that
account cease to be just, for that petition of the just, forgive us our trespasses,
[62] is both humble and true; for which reason the just ought to feel
themselves the more obliged to walk in the way of justice, for being now
freed from sin and made servants of God,[63] they are able, living soberly, justly and godly,[64] to proceed onward through Jesus Christ, by whom they
have access unto this grace.[65]

Against the subtle wits of some also, who by pleasing speeches and good
words seduce the hearts of the innocent,[91] it must be maintained that the
grace of justification once received is lost not only by infidelity, whereby also
faith itself is lost, but also by every other mortal sin, though in this case faith is
not lost; thus defending the teaching of the divine law which excludes from
the kingdom of God not only unbelievers, but also the faithful [who are] fornicators, adulterers, effeminate, liars with mankind, thieves, covetous,
drunkards, railers, extortioners,[92] and all others who commit deadly sins,
from which with the help of divine grace they can refrain, and on account of
which they are cut off from the grace of Christ.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Samuelswag: 1:29pm On Oct 06, 2013
We can only enter heaven when we ar baptise by water and spirit
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 1:31pm On Oct 06, 2013
Yes, a christian can lose his salvation, if you wilfully decide to turn against Christ and go back to 'live in sin', then you lose your salvation.

This doesn't mean you lose your salvation each time you sin, 'to commit sin' is different from 'to live in sin'. A time in my life when i sinned i could not help it but laugh when a brother told me that i will have to start the process of salvation all over again by accepting christ into my life, lol, this is not necessary, we sin doesn't mean we lose salvation, what we just need to do is to repent of that sin and continue our holy walk with God, the only time you may lose salvation is when you renounce Christ and willfully turn back to your vomit(sin).

So the concept of once saved forever saved is pure heresy, if i decide to renouce christ today and join the boko harams in their killings, am i still saved? Big No!!, the fact that faith is no longer involved cancels the idea of me being saved. However if i come back to acknowledge Christ sincerly and place my faith back in Him, then i become saved again.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by philfearon(m): 1:41pm On Oct 06, 2013
Yes,You can lose it...
Firstly,remember that Salvation is for those Who will believe and confess that Jesus is their Personal Lord and Savior,not for those Who do not believe,and leave their old liff!!
Romans6:3-7........
Its just like saying "i always come first in class..So let me relax and not read,after all
am the brightest in the class.."
.At the end of the Day,you end up loosing your position to another person.....
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by paulabdeel(m): 1:54pm On Oct 06, 2013
ayoku777: And Demas didn't leave the faith in 2Tim 4v10. He left Paul and went back to his secular job, obviously coz of the hardship of ministry.

But obviously he returned, coz later in Philemon 1v24, he was numbered among Pauls labourers 'Marcus, Aristarchus, DEMAS, Lucas, my fellow labourers.'
He loved the world more. And whoever loves the world, cannot love the Father. The Apostle Paul oftentimes returned to his secular vocation. Once saved, forever saved, is a doctrine of the devil that lulls the believer into false confidence. There is no timeout in Christianity. Christian seek not yet repose.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 1:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
U can but u cant be born again twice
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by lawsbanks: 1:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
alexleo:

From what that verse said, its obvious he left the faith because paul said Demas deserted him because of the love of this present world. His statement didn't suggest that demas left him because of a difference he had with him on the issue of a particular teaching or doctrine but the LOVE OF THIS PRESENT WORLD. And of course Jesus said- whosoever loveth the world, the love of the father is not in him.
if you have read through paul's sojourn you will realize that he is a man that makes risky journeys even when prophets told him about the doom to befall him in a certain city, he still went ahead.......Demas must have left paul for the fear of physical death and probably a lot of stress, love of family, etc,.......that scripture is inconclusive of Demas leaving the faith.......pls be fair on Demas

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by LaRochelle(f): 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
To all, a saved person can lose his salvation. I'm sure all these confusions is coming from these so-called pastors, who teach their congregation what suits them.
A saved person can lose his salvation by frustrating the grace of the Lord in his life and by grieving the Holy Spirit. By doing all the little things we don't count as sin, such as looking at a lady lustfully, telling "small" lies, stealing from parents/siblings/spouses(thinking they don't care), telling crude jokes and speaking unedifyably...I could go on and on.
These "little" sins will make your heart get unholy little by little until the Holy Spirit departs.
Take a clue from Biblical examples like Judas, Demas, Ananias and Sapphira etc.
Please, join a bible believing church so that the word of God may be expounded unto you.
Shalom.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 1:58pm On Oct 06, 2013
Being saved in this context implies that an individual has undergone the pains, tribulations and temptations of this world and has emerged victorious through Christ.

If one still has the tendency to sin and the possibility of going back to the 'world' is readily available, then it would be inappropriate to say that the individual is saved.

It would be appropriate though to say that one has chosen the path to salvation, if the individual decides to follow the example of Christ, but being saved only comes at the end of our journey here on Earth.

Now, to answer your question, it is impossible for one who is saved to lose his salvation because it is impractical for the 'dead' to commit sin, hence nothing like going back to a life of sin.

As long as we are awake to the harsh realities of this world, the best we can do is seek out our salvation. Sacred scriptures puts it succintly:

Philippians 2:12
King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 2:01pm On Oct 06, 2013
lawsbanks: if you have read through paul's sojourn you will realize that he is a man that makes risky journeys even when prophets told him about the doom to befall him in a certain city, he still went ahead.......Demas must have left paul for the fear of physical death and probably a lot of stress, love of family, etc,.......that scripture is inconclusive of Demas leaving the faith.......pls be fair on Demas

My point exactly, we shouldn't just conclude that demas turned away from christ because paul said he left him.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Bond008(m): 2:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
YES. Jesus came to this world to give us life through the salvation He gave us. John 3:16. Due to some troubles of life one can compromise his faith in Christ. So Jesus said in Rev 2:25 "but that which ye have already hold fast till I come." He expects us to still hold on to the salvation He gave to us. Meaning that its possible to loose it. Thats the work of the devil to steal. John 10:10. In order not to loose your salvation get closer to God and work in faith not in the flesh. Hebrews 11:6 Romans 8:8,13-14. I pray God keep us to the end in Jesus name.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by haibe(m): 2:07pm On Oct 06, 2013
La Rochelle: To all, a saved person can lose his salvation. I'm sure all these confusions is coming from these so-called pastors, who teach their congregation what suits them.
A saved person can lose his salvation by frustrating the grace of the Lord in his life and by grieving the Holy Spirit. By doing all the little things we don't count as sin, such as looking at a lady lustfully, telling "small" lies, stealing from parents/siblings/spouses(thinking they don't care), telling crude jokes and speaking unedifyably...I could go on and on.
These "little" sins will make your heart get unholy little by little until the Holy Spirit departs.
Please, join a bible believing church so that the word of God may be expounded unto you.
Shalom.

Yes, a saved person can lose his salvation.

There is nothing like little sin, sin is sin, the Holy spirit is a gift to every believer in Christ and won't leave you because you commit a sin, He would rather convict and correct you and he keeps correcting you as long as your faith is still in Christ.

Judas could have been forgiven if he didn't commit suicide just like peter was also forgiven, Demas was never said to be a sinner because he left paul, for ananias and saphirra, well i can't say if they were actually saved before.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:12pm On Oct 06, 2013
striktlymi: Being saved in this context implies that an individual has undergone the pains, tribulations and temptations of this world and has emerged victorious through Christ.

If one still has the tendency to sin and the possibility of going back to the 'world' is readily available, then it would be inappropriate to say that the individual is saved.

It would be appropriate though to say that one has chosen the path to salvation, if the individual decides to follow the example of Christ, but being saved only comes at the end of our journey here on Earth.

Now, to answer your question, it is impossible for one who is saved to lose his salvation because it is impractical for the 'dead' to commit sin, hence nothing like going back to a life of sin.

As long as we are awake to the harsh realities of this world, the best we can do is seek out our salvation. Sacred scriptures puts it succintly:

Philippians 2:12
King James Version (KJV)

12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.
the problem with this explanation is that the bible discribes salvation as a present continous reality. The christian here on earth can be discribe as saved, being saved and will be saved all at the same time.

1 Like

Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Ubenedictus(m): 2:17pm On Oct 06, 2013
La Rochelle: To all, a saved person can lose his salvation. I'm sure all these confusions is coming from these so-called pastors, who teach their congregation what suits them.
Shalom.
"bible believing churches" are the ones preaching once saved forever saved.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by chyket(m): 2:38pm On Oct 06, 2013
You can loose your salvation only if you renounce Jesus Christ
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Gabrielsylar(m): 2:47pm On Oct 06, 2013
Heresy
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 2:53pm On Oct 06, 2013
alexleo:

And what have you to say about the parable of the ten virgins? Ten of them were virgins with their lamps burning, but on the day of reckoning, the five who did not have extra oil to keep their lamps burning were banished from entering into the joy of the bridegroom. And they were called foolish virgins.

No matter how foolish they were. They were still virgins. Their foolishness did not change their nature.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by jammyunn(m): 2:55pm On Oct 06, 2013
This is really confusing. May the Holy Spirit help us. I have no definite answer to this myself that's why I asked. Following Romans 11:29-"the gifts and callings of God are IRREVOCABLE", and salvation is FREE(a gift) I don't think it can be lost but that doesn't mean that we go ahead commiting sin because "we can't continue in sin that grace may abound".
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 2:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
Annanais and Saphirra did not go to hell. They went to heaven because they were baptised with the Holy Ghost. They had eternal life.

But they had to reap what they sowed on this earth (i.e lying to Peter).
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by PreciousG1(m): 2:57pm On Oct 06, 2013
ariseandshine:

No matter how foolish they were. They were still virgins. Their foolishness did not change their nature.

Even as virgins, they lost the chance they had. That is the point about losing your Salvation
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by Nobody: 3:02pm On Oct 06, 2013
jammyunn: This is really confusing. May the Holy Spirit help us. I have no definite answer to this myself that's why I asked. Following Romans 11:29-"the gifts and callings of God are IRREVOCABLE", and salvation is FREE(a gift) I don't think it can be lost but that doesn't mean that we go ahead commiting sin because "we can't continue in sin that grace may abound".

A real believer cannot wallow in sin. He will repent immediately he realize what he has done like DAVID.

God can also punish such a person as a form of rebuke cos a believer is not a bastard that cannot be corrected. Infact God can go to the extent of taking his life like King SAUL in the old testament and ANNANAIS and SAPHIRRA in the new testament.
Re: Can A Saved Person Lose His Salvation? by topfet(m): 3:08pm On Oct 06, 2013
PHIPEX:

If Judas lost his salvation, so will any Christian who departs from the truth.
So, what is the TRUTH?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Papa Oyedepo's Tongues / What Is Your Best Bible Verse? / Have You Been Pressed During Any Of Your Bed Time?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.