Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,305 members, 7,881,125 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 01:03 PM

Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S (15983 Views)

Tunisian Man Sets Himself Ablaze / Ivorian Sets Himself On Fire At Rome Airport To Protest Deportation / Tibetan Protester Sets Himself On Fire (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by yunfazz: 8:46am On Oct 06, 2013
This is not a scene from movie neither is it from Borno or Iraq but the 'wealthiest nation on earth!'

The man reportedly (and as seen from the pictures) sat down on the lawn, then sprinkled gasoline all over his body, and quietly set himself on fire. He didn't flinch or move from where he was sitting as the fire consumed him (yes, real fire and not a magic!)

More pictures after the cut

It happened at the National Mall Park where tourists from around the world usually come to with flames and smoke from the self-immolating man were visible from the Capitol, where some staffers watched the scene from west facing windows, just a day after a car chase that ended with the shooting death of a woman just outside the Hart Senate Office Building.

The incident reportedly happened at about 4:30 p.m. on Friday in between the Air and Space Museum and the National Gallery. Passing joggers rushed to the man's aid, several ripping off their shirts to help beat out the flames that burned 80% of his body

Passersby who saw the man rushed to his aid, several ripping off their shirts to help put out the flames.

"I'm not aware of any signage or any articulation of any causes," said Lt. Pamela Smith of the U.S. Park Police, which has teamed up with the D.C. police department.
Tommy Hess, a tourist visiting his brother, said he was on the Mall, "milling around, because everything is closed due to the shutdown."
"I never expected to see anything like that," Hess said. "It's crazy."

Katy Scheflen, a furloughed civil rights attorney in the Justice Department, said she stopped because she saw "a guy with a tripod set up."

"At that point we didn't know what was going, maybe it was some sort of stage protest," Scheflen said. "And then he set himself on fire and went up in flames," she said. "Whoosh."

The self-immolation left the man with burns on 80% of his body. Witnesses said his body was charred and his arms and face were white.

"It's very shocking," she said. "It's horrifying. Literally watching this guy go up in flames. There was not really anything anybody could do."

Scheflen said the presence of a mounted camera gave her the impression "he was aware something was about to happen. Otherwise he was filming nothing but a guy standing there."

"It was obviously an intentional act," she said. "Somebody has a video of the whole thing."

Scheflen said the man may have said something beforehand “but it was nothing intelligible.”

http://www.tutubranch.com/2013/10/man-set-himself-ablaze.html

Courtesy ABC News

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by anthoniosp(m): 8:48am On Oct 06, 2013

1 Like

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Preceedo(m): 8:49am On Oct 06, 2013
And you don't want me to believe in spirituality? The man is sure under a spell.

4 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by cashkidisback(m): 8:59am On Oct 06, 2013
is dis suppose to b joke
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by deekseen(m): 9:50am On Oct 06, 2013
That man knew that the park would be a very cool place to show off a new magical trick - it worked!
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by skyscraperTM(m): 9:55am On Oct 06, 2013
firstly, usinq black man in the topic is inconsequential¡

secondly, the man has been jinxed from the village¡

thirdly, before he decides to perform another stunt as such, he should endeavour to take lessons from chris angel¡

1 Like

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by fingard02k(m): 11:18am On Oct 06, 2013
he wants america version of uprising?

2 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Nobody: 11:19am On Oct 06, 2013

Sexy.
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Trendy247: 11:19am On Oct 06, 2013
Thats very good of him... But him suppose use atleast 4litres of fuel na haba.

2 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by johhnnie(m): 11:21am On Oct 06, 2013
it is well.
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Danhumprey: 11:26am On Oct 06, 2013
I guess this is the aftermath of the U.S government shutdown. lipsrsealed

4 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Hamazz1: 11:27am On Oct 06, 2013
I don't blame him d comfort of life cn mk u do unimaginable thngs.in my country if we decide to set our selves ablaze all of us will burn out of forstration frm consistent academic strikes to corruption failed promises to deprivation impunity to insecurity.nigerians cn not afford to commit suicide BC d. Govt has not covered anything for them Lk health eductn n so on if they commit suicide wht bcms of there dependents.

2 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Impulse80(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2013
SimonAndal:
Sexy.

2 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by lifestyle1(m): 11:30am On Oct 06, 2013
I'm sure the woman carrying a baby was calling 911

1 Like

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by ManTiger(m): 11:32am On Oct 06, 2013
I'll like to see a clearer picture before making my comment but before then, he looks like a middle easterner and if true, its a big signal to America that something bad is about to happen. If this man can be linked to Al-quaeda oR Al-shabaaab then its moro worse.
I bow my coco.
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by lifestyle1(m): 11:33am On Oct 06, 2013
SimonAndal:
Sexy.

scary ?

1 Like

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by bammo: 11:34am On Oct 06, 2013
Why dem no flog am stick join. Stupidbility
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Kslib(m): 11:35am On Oct 06, 2013
Oh boy!!
All izz well!
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by IAMBREEZY: 11:36am On Oct 06, 2013
SCARY is the man insane
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Kslib(m): 11:37am On Oct 06, 2013
life_style: I'm sure the woman carrying a baby was calling 911
I thought the-same too.

If na Naija,dem go begin snap picture.
All izz well!

2 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Phrankin(m): 11:42am On Oct 06, 2013
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by angelTI(f): 11:44am On Oct 06, 2013
If the man could be questioned on why he did this, he would say its frustration.....
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by clixa: 11:45am On Oct 06, 2013
too bad smh
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Nobody: 11:50am On Oct 06, 2013
Kslib:
I thought the-same too.

If na Naija,dem go begin snap picture.
All izz well!

You and your small sense.. ... Na ghost snap the photo way you see?

7 Likes

Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Echatbook: 11:54am On Oct 06, 2013
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by GoodSamaritan: 11:57am On Oct 06, 2013
Is he a niggar?
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by cashbaby41(f): 11:59am On Oct 06, 2013
Dats kul
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by lifestyle1(m): 12:04pm On Oct 06, 2013
colly227:

You and your small sense.. ... Na ghost snap the photo way you see?

Did you read the whole article ?
Re: Man Sets Himself On Fire In The U.S by Kessyy2k4(m): 12:11pm On Oct 06, 2013
i suspect ’abuwaziz’ d architect of tunisia oprising, has poot-back 2 life, ds time, na us ooo. my fellow naija us based, begin to find way poot-back 2 9ja ooo. b4 d us version of uprising catch u dr!

@ topic, i need 2 see d pixs clearly;:/

(1) (2) (Reply)

‘Historic Day’: Turkey’s Erdogan Agrees To Back Swedish NATO Bid / Saudi Arabia Expels Canada’s Ambassador For ‘interference In Domestic Affairs’ / Michigan Supreme Court Rules That Trump Will Stay On State Ballot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.