Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,190,867 members, 7,942,166 topics. Date: Friday, 06 September 2024 at 10:30 PM

High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? (9276 Views)

Video: Of The Kids Kissing In A Lagos Church Compound / Photos Of The Girl With Half-body At Home With Her Family In Kano / Take The Pressure Off The Kids: Why Kids Need To Play (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by bebe2(f): 6:09pm On Oct 11, 2013
https://www.nairaland.com/1470477/ohio-daycare-worker-molested-babies#18673605

am not a fancy writer but i know right from wrong,

after reading the link above,( child abuse in ohio day care) is it now time fore parent to sacrifice their career for their kids.

last time we discussed female baby sitters and house girls dat abuse male children. i was shocked to learn of this practice as i always thot it was house boys dat molest young girls.

most kids wit anti social behaviour are said to lack home training, wat time to parents have to give dat training wen they both leave home at 7, the child gets back home at 3 and there is no mum and dad, but some alternative arrangement has been made for them.

if u decide to stay at home till ur last child is atleast 13yrs, wat kind of impact do u think it will have on ur life and dat of the child??

my laptop wan weak, (brb)
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by coldgate(f): 6:48pm On Oct 11, 2013
Staying at home with the child(ren) is not the panacea. Will the children not go to school, church, playground? In these hard times, can we really afford to lose that income from an extra pair of hands? What we need is to be ever more vigilant, and perhaps, more prayerful so that our children would be safe. Parents should develop a heightened awareness of the environment in which their kids thrive. All these can be achieved without a parent staying home.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by SalC: 7:31pm On Oct 11, 2013
Sacrificing your carrier to stay at home with your children is not the best option; though it is good for parents to stay close to their children and know how they are faring. Even when you stay at home, the children will not always stay at home. Also ensure that your children feel free to communicate to you what they experience on daily basis. Don't distance yourself from them while pursuing you carrier, if they are comfortable with you and you are their for them,you can easily detect when all is not well with them.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by bebe2(f): 8:55pm On Oct 11, 2013
dats the problem, no where is safe.

church, school even home with neigbours and family members.

but i still think a parent shud stay for the early year,

lets say from 0-5yrs??

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by SalC: 10:04pm On Oct 11, 2013
bebe2: dats the problem, no where is safe.

church, school even home with neigbours and family members.

but i still think a parent shud stay for the early year,

lets say from 0-5yrs??
0-5 years from the time the first child is born or the last?

Considering the economic situation of this country, the family might find it difficult to cope if only one of the parents becomes the bread winner of the family.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by bebe2(f): 9:54am On Oct 12, 2013
Sal C: 0-5 years from the time the first child is born or the last?

Considering the economic situation of this country, the family might find it difficult to cope if only one of the parents becomes the bread winner of the family.

Dats true o.

I dnt know, its a double edge sword.

May God help us
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Happywoman(f): 7:51pm On Oct 12, 2013
Let me suggest that for a change let the men stay @home. wink

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by SalC: 8:15pm On Oct 12, 2013
Happywoman: Let me suggest that for a change let the men stay @home. wink
Are you a nigerian?
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 12, 2013
@OP
the best parents can do is research the best day care, do some snooping around to make sure that all is in order, educate their children in due time about the rights and wrongs....and hope for the best. just because a few criminals are molesting children doesnt mean we now have to change a standard that has worked for gazillions of children.

what you wrote would be as crazy as not flying any longer simply because a few flights have crashed, or not driving any longer because a few have died in car crashes........ duh!

parents cannot suddenly be enslaved to their children because of a few criminals. think about single parents as well

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 9:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
MRbrownJAY: @OP
the best parents can do is research the best day care, do some snooping around to make sure that all is in order, educate their children in due time about the rights and wrongs....and hope for the best. just because a few criminals are molesting children doesnt mean we now have to change a standard that has worked for gazillions of children.

what you wrote would be as crazy as not flying any longer simply because a few flights have crashed, or not driving any longer because a few have died in car crashes........ duh!

parents cannot suddenly be enslaved to their children because of a few criminals. think about single parents as well

Not just a few criminal. Sadly, It is becoming rampant.

From your analogy, When there is incessant plane crash, we all want to go back to the drawing board/Airspace management to ask questions, get on the black box etc. All because we don't want a repeat of such sad occurrence...No air crash is palatable. No abused child would love to go through that route again.

As much as possible, parents should endeavour to create quality time for their kids...and build a cordial relationship with them. It helps. Although this is fast disappearing because everyone seems 'busy'. However, It is not impossible to still carve out time for them, if we really are passionate about staying in touch. It is not easy..but, His grace is made availbale unto us. And, through Him, we can do all things.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 10:01pm On Oct 12, 2013
^^^you missed the point completely...... as much as you want to go back to the drawing board, does it stop you from wanting to FLY?

yes, changes need to be done, but the need to have people caring/raising/educating our children will ALWAYS BE THERE, unless you want to care/raise/educate them by yourself, until they turn 18.

look around, people care for our kids until they become adult, and people can abuse them all through that time.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 10:36pm On Oct 13, 2013
MRbrownJAY: ^^^you missed the point completely...... as much as you want to go back to the drawing board, does it stop you from wanting to FLY?

yes, changes need to be done , but the need to have people caring/raising/educating our children will ALWAYS BE THERE, unless you want to care/raise/educate them by yourself, until they turn 18.

look around, people care for our kids until they become adult, and people can abuse them all through that time.
I understand you, MrBrownJay. I really do. I just feel that parent-child relationship gap is becoming so uncomfortably wider..and this invariably, gives 'predators' some more breathing space or don't you think? wink
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 11:35pm On Oct 13, 2013
oh yeah i understand you fully, and thats why we have to double check on these places, and ask our children the right questions....some now have webcams that are always viewable online, from all over the premises. you can just sit at work/home, log on and see whats going on at the nursery. now, sadly you will spend much of the day watching that cam feed instead of doing any work, lol, but it is worth the peace of mind.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 11:40pm On Oct 13, 2013
I am not a 'perfect' parent..but, I am learning to give the best I can to always be available..

It's scary when you listen to what school children especially girls say about their 'absentee' parents... You'd be amazed! This seems why I am so passionate about this 'gap' issue. #CHANGE
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Sermwell(m): 12:26pm On Oct 14, 2013
K
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by MillionDollars: 12:27pm On Oct 14, 2013
if d parent no b ash.awo or thief, y nt?
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by YinkaOddy: 12:30pm On Oct 14, 2013
If you are in dire need of financial aid, just sign up and earn cool money - http:///1el4OGi
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by YinkaOddy: 12:33pm On Oct 14, 2013
/1el4OGi
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Dannyxy(m): 12:33pm On Oct 14, 2013
The best thing for a child is to stay with his or her parent,it helps with his or her self esteem in the long-run~oluwa is involve
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by YinkaOddy: 12:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Agrika: 12:36pm On Oct 14, 2013
Nan eh d matter tire me ooo, but thanks to the course am studying, i plan on becoming a full-time housewife for about 5-7 years ooo no matter what he says
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 12:37pm On Oct 14, 2013
Staying at home is impossible.....
Hire a nanny after background checks and medical checks.
Then mount nanny cams in the house.. atleast this wld give you an idea of how the day went when u come back

1 Like

Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Lilimax(f): 12:39pm On Oct 14, 2013
coldgate: Staying at home with the child(ren) is not the panacea. Will the children not go to school, church, playground? In these hard times, can we really afford to lose that income from an extra pair of hands? What we need is to be ever more vigilant, and perhaps, more prayerful so that our children would be safe. Parents should develop a heightened awareness of the environment in which their kids thrive. All these can be achieved without a parent staying home.

Me likey @ highlighted. Parents should be aware of their environment.

Again, what type of home teacher does your children have?. I've heard of a family whose three children (all girls) were molested by their lesson teacher. These went on repeatedly before the news got to them.
Also, be friendly with your children and let them be free to communicate with you. You'll be amazed with stuffs you'll hear from them.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by nkpommpko(m): 12:43pm On Oct 14, 2013
Woman dey house or you guys get help
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by DarryOsh(m): 12:47pm On Oct 14, 2013
Lilimax:
Me likey @ highlighted. Parents should be aware of their environment.

Again, what type of home teacher does your children have?. I've heard of a family whose three children (all girls) were molested by their lesson teacher. These went on repeatedly before the news got to them.
Also, be friendly with your children and let them be free to communicate with you. You'll be amazed with stuffs you'll hear from them.
i like the point highlighted above. A four year old child is not too little to be taught that if a person handles or touches them in some wrong way, they should scream and report to mummy and daddy. And yes, parents should be really aware of their environment.

One final and very important thing is that parent should only have children when they are sure they can cater for and monitor them. It is not a must that u pop a baby immediately after marriage. It is not a must that have children every two years till you hit menopause.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Qsscruz(m): 12:49pm On Oct 14, 2013
That is one of the umbrella many girls hide in when claiming that they were molested...We know the truth#
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by drdams: 12:52pm On Oct 14, 2013
Sacrificing your career for your kids will be some what hazardous.
I will only advice ladies to pick up careers where time constraints wont be prevalent e.g teaching, nursing, businesses, e.t.c ( they are all careers and when done at the professional level, there is wont be any regret). many of our ladies are looking for the white collar jobs.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Jeffex(m): 12:53pm On Oct 14, 2013
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by AmeLonRo(m): 12:54pm On Oct 14, 2013
One of the parents should stay home and be close to the child until the child can speak and can make some decisions on his/her own. It may not be easy but its worth it. Many make a lot of money but weep when they discover what the child is involved in. grin
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Qsscruz(m): 12:55pm On Oct 14, 2013
Agrika: Nan eh d matter tire me ooo, but thanks to the course am studying, i plan on becoming a full-time housewife for about 5-7 years ooo no matter what he says
So the course you are studying will bring food to your table without working? Becoming a full- time house wife in Nigeria where you are not even guaranteed of getting a pay after work...Maybe you are planning on marrying Adenuga's son.
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Nobody: 1:00pm On Oct 14, 2013
Parents should educate their kids on sex
Re: High Rate Of Child Abuse, Should One Parent Stay Home With The Kids? by Cestmoi1(f): 1:03pm On Oct 14, 2013
Staying at home with your child/ren doesn't necessarily make him/her safe.Parents should be vigilant,put their ears to the ground and bridge any communication gap between them and their children so that the child will be able to communicate and open up to them at any point in time and in as much as possible make drastic step/s to ensure their safety if any issue/s arises and also be prayerful.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Married To A Banker; Hell On Earth! / Do Women Change After Marriage? / Husband Beats His Wife Almost To Death For Cheating As Peope Watch (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.