Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,187,504 members, 7,932,638 topics. Date: Tuesday, 27 August 2024 at 10:30 AM

Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? (762 Views)

Is Victor Oladipo Nigeria's Next NBA Superstar And The New Hakeem Olajuwon? / Victor Oladipo: The Best Nigerian Basketball Prodigy Since Hakeem Olajuwon / Jeremy Lin Or Hakeem Olajuwon (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? by millco88(f): 8:34pm On Jul 02, 2008
Well, both are surefire top 10 players of all time. I think Shaq will have the greater legacy because of his four rings, because he dominated his era so completely in his prime (given the lack of quality bigs), because of his charisma, because of his quotable nature, and because he appeals to the streetball culture. He's much more marketable and more of a household name than Hakeem. Both have unique styles, but Shaq's just seems much more appealing to many casual fans.

I believe Hakeem was better because he was able to lead one of the worst championship casts in the league to a ring in 1994 and because he beat Shaq in 1995 despite having less help. (I also understand that Shaq's teammates choked, which didn't help his case, but it was a 4-0 sweep for the Rockets.) I believe his offense is underrated because he did his work against frequent double and triple teams. I believe that his early game is underappreciated, as he was able to team up with Sampson to beat the Showtime Lakers in six in their primes. I know that he was as complete a defensive big as I have ever seen, whereas Shaq could be abused on the pick and roll. I believe that Hakeem's moves were not only more aesthetically pleasing, but more in line with the spirit of basketball. I question whether Shaq would have been so dominant if his offensive fouls were called more consistently.

That's not to say that Shaq isn't a great player, or even a top 10 player. He dominated his position from 1999-2002 as much as I've ever seen anyone--but part of that is due to the pathetic state of the bigs in the NBA at that point. Shaq's resume speaks for itself, but I think Hakeem is better for the reasons I stated.
Re: Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? by doyin13(m): 9:20pm On Jul 02, 2008
I guess it depends on what you appreciate in a player.

Olajuwon was all finesse, great hook shot.

Shaq was all power. His elbow is personally responsible for doubling Mutombos lip size
Re: Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? by CH3COO(m): 9:23pm On Jul 02, 2008
Olajuwon, and it's not even close.

[flash=425,355]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxabDlTAxuo&hl=en"></param><param name=[/flash]
Re: Shaq Vs Olajuwon -- Who Has The Greatest Legacy? by cescky(m): 11:01pm On Jul 02, 2008
shaq,
all the way
its not just a game its business too,hes got more marketing flames which =more money

(1) (Reply)

How Low Can Usain Bolt Take The 100m World Record? -by Alex Spink 18/08/2009 / How To Choose The Proper Cycling Shoes For You / Cameroun Falls To Gabon

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.