Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,382 members, 7,881,381 topics. Date: Friday, 05 July 2024 at 06:11 PM

Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) - Computers - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) (3950 Views)

How To Setup A Home Cyber Café / HTPC Build - 2013 / Putting Together/building A Music Pc. (PICTURES ADDED! PROJECT COMPLETED I HOPE) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 6:59pm On Oct 12, 2013
The versatility of a home theater pc (HTPC) cannot be overemphasized . HTPC are usually small form factor PC build- mini ITX cases that just sits in your living room connected to your wall mounted TV and yet provides every form factor of entertainment you can think of.
this is actually my first ever computer build from scratch. all parts for the build were purchased online at amazon.com. and it took me two sleepless nights to totally assemble it-due to work grin
I practically wanted to use this as my media center hub running XBMC or Plex and also some serious gaming when am in the mood cool

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 7:14pm On Oct 12, 2013
Parts for the build are
1. Intel core i5 3750k 3.4ghz quad core

2. Gigabyte H77N- WiFi motherboard LGA 1155

3. SAMSUNG 120GB 840 series SSD

4. WD 1 TB HDD Blue

5. Corsair vengeance 2x4GB (8GB) ram

6. Coolermaster geminii m4 CPU cooler

7. coolermaster elite 120 advanced mini ITX casing

8. Corsair cx 430M PSU

9. EVGA Geforce GTX 660 2GB graphic card

10. Asus bluray DVD/CD RW burner drive

6 Likes

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 7:20pm On Oct 12, 2013
Other accessories I bought along
a Logitech wireless keyboard and mouse combo mk520 and Microsoft Xbox 360 game pad for windows

I am running windows 8 pro for now.
will probably upgrade to windows 8.1 in the coming week when it releases.
just to point out that, my computer boot time is about 6 seconds due to installing windows on a solid state drive as against conventional hard disk cool

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by bigboa: 12:59am On Oct 13, 2013
Nice 1 dude. Been wanting to stwrt this thread for a while. I've actually researched quite a few of 'em (even downloaded raspbmc in case I could get the raspberry pi).
Eventually decided to settle for WD n900 router with 1TB hdd on board as its also a hardware dlna server and pair this with lg 570 wifi smart tv...
Will post pics soon.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 5:48pm On Oct 13, 2013
windows experience index of 7.8 cool
i was actually expecting an 8.1 angry

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by Nobody: 12:51am On Oct 14, 2013
so cool.....i wish i had one. Or could u build one 4 me? grin
Any way i wanted to ask how much u invested in this project? And how did u get the parts to nigeria? Does amazon have a branch here?
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 6:29am On Oct 14, 2013
runzlord: so cool.....i wish i had one. Or could u build one 4 me? grin
Any way i wanted to ask how much u invested in this project? And how did u get the parts to nigeria? Does amazon have a branch here?
I used myamericanshipper.com to purchase most of the items from amazon and they shipped to me trough DHL. The rest of the items I got them down here through "mikkyangel" after amazon suspended my account for reasons I don't know yet.
I started saving and planning towards this say in July after selling off my ps3 for not leaving up to my expectations as a true media hub apart from gaming gaming gaming grin
the costs are all on amazon but for the shipping costs,be ready to shell out btw 60-70k depending on the agent you are using.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 6:23am On Oct 15, 2013
A friend seems interested and wants an exact build like mine
hehe grin

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by Nobody: 11:01am On Oct 15, 2013
I swear if i had the money, i would build mine too. Besides the index score max. Is 7.9 so 7.8 is awesome. My system is 3.3
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 12:06pm On Oct 15, 2013
runzlord: I swear if i had the money, i would build mine too. Besides the index score max. Is 7.9 so 7.8 is awesome. My system is 3.3
nah index score max is 9.9
I have seen 8.1 and 8.8 wella cool

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by onegig(m): 6:03pm On Oct 15, 2013
Looking forward to building a rig for my gaming needs one of these days. Would be sourcing used parts though through ebay and other sites. Looking to achieve 8.0 with the cost at less than 40k.

Good job op.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by Nobody: 11:21pm On Oct 16, 2013
Cool, Nice one Op, i would definitely build One someday..How possible is it for one to build a laptop?
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by onegig(m): 10:11am On Oct 17, 2013
Big.game:
Cool, Nice one Op, i would definitely build One someday..How possible is it for one to build a laptop?
not possible.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 2:55pm On Oct 17, 2013
Big.game:

it would not be possible to
laptop components are almost like a cellphone components. integrated gpu,cpu memory etc
you are better off building a small form factor desktop like this one cool
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by wkid(m): 10:58am On Oct 18, 2013
This is cool. cool
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 6:35am On Oct 28, 2013
Buying an nvidia 600 series and upwards graphic cards qualifies you for a digital copy of Batman Arkham Origins game.
downloaded my copy over the weekend and I must say the game graphics were wicked cool
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by ciphoenix: 11:34pm On Nov 07, 2013
Was planning on getting parts from Newegg because of combo promos cool but you know the usual shipping to Nigeria issue.

What's the charges like on the shipping company you use.

Seems there's hope for me after all. You, my friend, are God sent
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by xfay(m): 9:22am On Nov 08, 2013
@hancock you really went for the kill...those are some serious components like the fact that you included an SSD. logistics been holding back from a upgrade for awhile now still rocking my geforce 9800gt and heavily overclocked CPU
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by Techiedude: 11:25am On Nov 08, 2013
onegig: not possible.
Actually it is possible, Just very expensive, infact there are companies in Japan and the us that build them on custom order for a reasonable price
Hp also customizes but uses standard shells
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by onegig(m): 1:25pm On Nov 08, 2013
Techie_dude:
Actually it is possible, Just very expensive, infact there are companies in Japan and the us that build them on custom order for a reasonable price
Hp also customizes but uses standard shells
Did you read his response. He wants to couple laptop parts himself. So tell me where's his lab? Lol.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 11:18am On Nov 09, 2013
There is currently a 30% discount on your first shipping with myamericanshipper.com you have to register with them though and obtain a valid address which you can use for shopping with American stores that accept MasterCard but do not ship to Nigeria directly
ciphoenix: Was planning on getting parts from Newegg because of combo promos cool but you know the usual shipping to Nigeria issue.

What's the charges like on the shipping company you use.

Seems there's hope for me after all. You, my friend, are God sent
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by hancock(m): 11:21am On Nov 09, 2013
Nice cool
xfay: @hancock you really went for the kill...those are some serious components like the fact that you included an SSD. logistics been holding back from a upgrade for awhile now still rocking my geforce 9800gt and heavily overclocked CPU
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by chimeluiz: 10:02am On Dec 01, 2013
Nice Project. I want to undertake a similar project soon. Wt abt d soundcard, u noe good sound makes for intetresting gaming. Also wt screen size did u use.
Can't these parts be purchased in znigeria for similar prizes. Wt was the cost of all the components minus shipping. How is the gaming experience like on the PC. Would love to see your PC someday maybe. U based in lag, maybe u cld help me out with mine once am ready

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by luvlyoracle(m): 9:44am On Dec 02, 2013
hancock: The versatility of a home theater pc (HTPC) cannot be overemphasized . HTPC are usually small form factor PC build- mini ITX cases that just sits in your living room connected to your wall mounted TV and yet provides every form factor of entertainment you can think of.
this is actually my first ever computer build from scratch. all parts for the build were purchased online at amazon.com. and it took me two sleepless nights to totally assemble it-due to work grin
I practically wanted to use this as my media center hub running XBMC or Plex and also some serious gaming when am in the mood cool
Pls wots d use of this htpc
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by luvlyoracle(m): 9:44am On Dec 02, 2013
hancock: The versatility of a home theater pc (HTPC) cannot be overemphasized . HTPC are usually small form factor PC build- mini ITX cases that just sits in your living room connected to your wall mounted TV and yet provides every form factor of entertainment you can think of.
Pls wots d use of this htpc?
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by jazz04(m): 9:54am On Jul 09, 2014
Oga how ur cooked up PC?? Now outdated I guess?
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by xfay(m): 11:37pm On Jul 17, 2014
jazz04: Oga how ur cooked up PC?? Now outdated I guess?
Still a long ways from becoming underpowered talk less of outdated

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by jazz04(m): 9:04pm On Jul 18, 2014
xfay:
Still a long ways from becoming underpowered talk less of outdated
. Ummm who are you?? Do you even know the minimum specs of watchdogs The ultimate bliss in PC gaming is being able to play with ULTRA graphics settings....
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by onegig(m): 9:59pm On Jul 18, 2014
jazz04: . Ummm who are you?? Do you even know the minimum specs of watchdogs The ultimate bliss in PC gaming is being able to play with ULTRA graphics settings....
You should be the one to give up differing facts. That machine he built up there would play the latest games without a single lag. So what are you trying to say exactly? Talk lets understand you.

1 Like

Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by jazz04(m): 1:03am On Jul 19, 2014
onegig: You should be the one to give up differing facts. That machine he built up there would play the latest games without a single lag. So what are you trying to say exactly? Talk lets understand you.
even basic integrated intel graphics PCs can play latest games without a single lag with tweaking.... Didn't you see my mention of "ultra" above? If you don't understand, just quit this thread, its not for you.
Re: Building A Home Theater PC (HTPC) by onegig(m): 4:39am On Jul 19, 2014
jazz04: even basic integrated intel graphics PCs can play latest games without a single lag with tweaking.... Didn't you see my mention of "ultra" above? If you don't understand, just quit this thread, its not for you.
I do. what's so special about overclocking?

To even overclock and have a decent speed and performance you need atleast good graphics card with sizeable memory in the first place. So what exactly are you on to about this machine being obsolete? Care to answer that?

(1) (2) (Reply)

Cost Of A Dell Laptop Screen And Where To Fix It / Hp Pv6000 Laptop Wahala / Installing Windows 7 In Hp Compaq Presario V4000

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.