Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,759 members, 7,875,919 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 01:55 AM

Are You Being A Good Samaritan? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Are You Being A Good Samaritan? (437 Views)

My Encounter With A Samaritan Taxi Man / Unbelievable: Good Samaritan Nursing Cat Adopts Baby Squirrels / Agony Of A Widow : No Good Samaritan In The Southeast? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Are You Being A Good Samaritan? by NoContract(m): 9:25am On Oct 13, 2013
There was a scholar of the law stood up to test Jesus and said, “Teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life?” Jesus said to him, “What is written in the law? How do you read it?” He said in reply, “You shall love the Lord, your God, with all your heart, with all your being, with all your strength, and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.” He replied to him, “You have answered correctly; do this and you will live.”

But because he wished to justify himself, he said to Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” Jesus replied, “A man fell victim to robbers as he went down from Jerusalem to Jericho. They stripped and beat him and went off leaving him half-dead. A priest happened to be going down that road, but when he saw him, he passed by on the opposite side. But a Samaritan traveler who came upon him was moved with compassion at the sight. He approached the victim, poured oil and wine over his wounds and bandaged them. Then he lifted him up on his own animal, took him to an inn and cared for him. The next day he took out two silver coins and gave them to the innkeeper with the instruction, ‘Take care of him. If you spend more than what I have given you, I shall repay you on my way back.’ Which of these three, in your opinion, was neighbor to the robbers’ victim?” He answered, “The one who treated him with mercy.” Jesus said to him, “Go and do likewise.”
—Luke 10:25-37

The questions “what should be done to enter heaven” or “what can please God” in order to have and enjoy everlasting life are concerns of so many people not only during the time of our Lord Jesus but until today. Still, people need to know what should be done and be made to inherit everlasting life and be assured that one will be with God when the time comes. In the gospel, this is the concern of the scholar of the law who asked Jesus. And Jesus responded to the query and referred him to what the law is telling him. The man replied correctly as he narrated the law of Moses about what should be done. But the man was so insistent and wanted to justify himself and he made a follow- up question on “who is my neighbor?” How will I know my neighbor?

Then Jesus shared about the well-loved story of a good Samaritan. The parable of the Good Samaritan is only found in the Lucan gospel, and Jesus narrated what happened in that story. Who is my neighbor? Who was the neighbor of the one who was a victim of robbers, beaten and was left lying by the road almost half- dead. A priest and a teacher of the law both passed by but just ignored the poor man on the road. When a Samaritan passed by, he took him out of compassion. As first aid, he poured oil and wine and bandaged his wounds. The Samaritan carried the man and went to the nearby inn and watched on him. He paid for the bill and promised the innkeeper that he will return to pay for the balance and for the man.

Who is the neighbor to the robbers’ victim, Jesus asked the man. The man replied that man who treated him with mercy. Jesus then said to the man: “Go and do the same to others.”

Have we become a Good Samaritan to others? Have we extended our hands and hearts to others who are in dire need? Have we offered our services to those who need us the most?

To be a neighbor for others is to offer one’s love for others. The Good Samaritan is giving us a testimony and a life model. To love God is to love others, whoever they may be; friends or strangers.
Similarly, while I was on my way to Manila at the airport, I was approached by representatives from World Wide Fund for Nature Philippines and asked me about a few questions. Then I learned that they are volunteering for the campaigns initiated by WWF Philippines for particular campaigns and advocacies.

I also shared that I am also advocating to save Mother Earth. I commended them and congratulated them for the commitment and services they have been doing for Mother Earth. The concern of these volunteers for Mother Earth is a “neighborly” act for others. Loving one’s neighbor is loving mother Earth by bringing to our awareness the state of our world’s nature and ecological issues that are affecting the world and its population. Concern and care for the earth is loving God, for the whole creation is God’s masterpiece, for we are only creatures of God.

We can show our love to God and neighbor in various ways.

Let us pause, pray, reflect and ask ourselves:

Am I concerned with life eternal just like man in the gospel? Have I thought of my destination after spending my life on earth? Where will I go when I die?

How do I express my love to God? How do I manifest my love for my neighbor?

Just like in the gospel, am I willing to be a “Good Samaritan” to others?

Am I open to be the “Innkeeper” for others, open and willing to take care of those in need and trusting to people who come to my house?
Re: Are You Being A Good Samaritan? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 9:29am On Oct 13, 2013
Hm! Ododo oro.
Lord Jesus, help me to always be kind.

(1) (Reply)

Do You Reject Old Or Dirty Money? / How Do I Post Treads About Advertisement On Nairaland? / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.