Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,172,997 members, 7,886,721 topics. Date: Thursday, 11 July 2024 at 02:19 PM

Okpekpe Names (ibie Language Only) - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Okpekpe Names (ibie Language Only) (1326 Views)

Okpekpe People Letz Meet Here (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Okpekpe Names (ibie Language Only) by temidbabe: 4:00pm On Oct 14, 2013
Hello fellow nairalanders.

I have encountered an issue that gives me some concern. It is about how we are loosing our culture especually this next generation. I took a poll of friends and noticed that the yoruba, ibo and hausa are able to speak their language fluently and not only that but they are the group with the the most native names. All other tribes especially edo, all have english names and cant speak their language and whats even more sad is that they say it with pride that they cant speak. The chinese and indians speak their language weherever they go.

I am trying to help a friend out who is a foreigner married to a guy from okpekpe and what i have found is sad.

A friend of mine (a white lady) here in Aberdeen is married to a man from okpekpe and they are expecting twin boys, she is not pleased with the names being proposed by her husband for the boys but really wants traditional names that she and her family can pronounce.
>
> I directed her to afemaipeople,com but she found that some of the names you have there were also proposed by her husband but is different from what is on the site.
>
> It is God that says- Eminnishinegaogme ( site says Oshiotarhe)
>
> It is God that gives - Oshioronameh ( site says Oshiorenua)
>
>
> She also reached out to 2 of hiss cousins and Also got different names for the same meaning
>
> God is always good to me- Oshinegbaomatinamhe another said oshiokayame
>
> I lean on God - Oshionagbakiezemheye another said onamiregbekpe.

Please i need someone who is from okpekpe that speaks the ibie language and can provide the proper names and meanings and/or other names that she can choose from.

(1) (Reply)

How Many Urhobos Are In Nairaland / See The Moment Whites Knelt Down To Receive Blessings From Ooni In Brazil(photo) / The First Igbo Textile Is Ajị.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.