Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,778 members, 7,879,388 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 05:18 PM

Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? - Nairaland / General (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? (9117 Views)

Which Section On Nairaland Do You Enjoy Most In 2014 / Which Of The Nairaland Forums Do You Enjoy Most? / Which Section(s) Do You Enjoy Most In Nairaland? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by surhaj(m): 6:47am On Oct 25, 2013
Though ASUU is not on the list, sallah day and xmas sure pass, eating of non-stop ram for 2days and chopping of chicken just for one day, it's all fun
Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by rill: 8:03am On Oct 25, 2013
Sunday's
Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by Okijajuju1(m): 8:07am On Oct 25, 2013
ayoola2002:
German machine, goatluck to u.

Lol

My brother its not ideal, but if this is the price I have to pay for money, then Public Holidays can die for all I care..

If I was a proper employee with all those benefits and pensions, then I would have picked the Chriistmas holiday as my favorite.. But since I have been turned into a Kunta Kinte, then I am all about the money. I can have my public holiday when I am dead.

1 Like

Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by skyscraperTM(m): 8:09am On Oct 25, 2013
smileoly:
So Christ = X. I thought its d "Christ" in Christmas that makes dt day not just an ordinary public holiday atleast for christians.
Xmasis a common abbreviationof the word Christmas. It is sometimes pronounced / ˈ ɛ k s m ə s /, but it, and variants such asXtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation / ˈ k r ɪ s m ə s /. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old Englishword for Mass, [ 1 ]while the "X" comes from the Greekletter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek wordΧριστόςwhich comes into English as " Christ".

source: wikipeadia
Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by waverly12: 8:37am On Oct 25, 2013
Children's Day grin
Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by Noneroone(m): 11:49am On Oct 25, 2013
sкчscrαρεr™:
Xmasis a common abbreviationof the word Christmas. It is sometimes pronounced / ˈ ɛ k s m ə s /, but it, and variants such asXtemass, originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation / ˈ k r ɪ s m ə s /. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old Englishword for Mass, [ 1 ]while the "X" comes from the Greekletter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek wordΧριστόςwhich comes into English as " Christ".

source: wikipeadia
Christmas is the most observed religious festival in the world. It comes with extra ordinary feeling of joy. As a result most climes observe the holidays including non christians!. Many non christians and non believers who wish to associate themselves with the celebration (just for the fun of it) prefer to call it "xmas" instead of Christmas. Infact, in Us some non christians book flights to celebrate it outside the country, while coporate organisations will say "season's greatings'' to satisfy the secularized Europe. According to collins dictionary, the second meaning of Christmas "also called Christmas day Dec. 25, observed as a day of secular celebrations when gifts and greetings are exchanged"
Christmas is struggling to keep its substance in a secularizing world. Some Christians promote this trend out of ignorance. It is christians that should reclaim what is their's.

1 Like

Re: Which Holiday Do You Enjoy Most In Nigeria? by PaulSeun89(m): 8:59pm On Oct 25, 2013
Christmas

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Have You Actualized Your 2017 New Year Resolution? / Keystone Bank Past Questions And Answers (latest/updated Version) / Nigeria Drops From 1st To 101st In Happiness Index. Denmark Is New No. 1

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.