Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,332 members, 7,937,014 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 10:32 AM

Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers (27747 Views)

Three Dead As Military Men Open Fire On Students Of Unijos. / Another Nationwide ASUU Strike? / ASUU Strike (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by afroxyz: 3:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
What is worst than churning out half-baked students? If the govt invested in education, ASUU wld not go on strike in the first place and the best brains would be retained in the educational sector, not the present crop of charlatans parading themselves as lecturers. Yes I understand the students feel the pain, but I think its selfish for them to shout for the strike to end just because they want to graduate only for ASUU to embark on another strike in the future. It also shows the decadence in the society. Why not use this period to learn a skill that would not make you a job-seeker when you graduate? If it was tompolo that threatened to blow up an oil well, govt would have met his demand immediately. I support the strike. The only language govt understands is force. For things to get better, a sacrifice must be made.w

3 Likes

Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by peter1994(m): 3:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
Miner13:
i am a student lik u. Bt i c in u a mind jst lik dis selfish nd selfcenta set of people we cal leaders. Jst afta ur own gain nt mindin odas
and they too are after their own gain, nt mindin ours (why cant they accept d present offer and let the loss be 50:50 @least 4 d mean time) |times r hard n education is nt d only sector in our dear naija
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by EreluY(f): 3:52pm On Oct 22, 2013
dgifted: ASUU strike don make me fat well well ooo grin embarassed

If you're a female, do go for a pregnancy test. It could be more than having too much to eat than is normally the case when on campus. Just saying. lol.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Nobody: 3:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
Chiyung: Am not supporting ASSU ,its we the students that will lose,if govt pay then this money how are we garrantied that they ASSU will use the money to do wat it was meant for? Govt hav given them 130bn,and said the rest will b in 2014 buget so why can't they call it off?. They compare themselves with senators that will stay in the office for only 4yrs,while they themselfs (assu) stay longer than that,tell me wat a Man of 70yrs will b able to teach apart from to give u handout and tell u to go to the internate and do research. I DONT SUPPORT ASSU!
ASUU i know, ASUP i know but which one is ASSU?
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Reptyle(m): 3:59pm On Oct 22, 2013
The longer this strike lasts, the less likely it is for ASUU to agree to anything less than the FULL IMPLEMENTATION of the 2009 agreement. It would make absolutely no sense for them to have held on for 4 months with all of the disruptive effects to our educational system, only to accept some watery and half-hearted commitment from the FG to a phased-out implementation of the agreement over the next few years.

If ASUU concedes to anything less than 80% acceptance of their demands by the FG, I will personally spend my hard earned resources in mobilizing students to lynch ASUU members the next time they attempt to embark on a strike over the poor or non-implementation of the 2009 agreement.

I think it is time we bite the bullet and get this intractable issue with our tertiary educational system sorted once and for all.

It is such a shame that the students who would most benefit from a victory for ASUU in this matter have mostly allowed themselves to be be swayed by the FG's propaganda rather than stand with ASUU. Rather than NANS becoming the mouthpiece of government propaganda, it should be seen demanding for a full implementation of aspects of the agreement especially as it has to do with the infrastructural development of our universities.

3 Likes

Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by nonsookongwu(m): 4:03pm On Oct 22, 2013
Babafaros:

From ASUU
CALLING OFF THE STRIKE CAN BE A STEP
FORWARD, BUT THAT IS DEFINATELY TWO
STEPS BACKWARD....
Hence my dear students If there is no
struggle, there is no strength in other words
no progress.” WE MUST KEEP ON THE
STRUGGLE # TOGETHER
ya f@d@
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by ireneidiva(f): 4:24pm On Oct 22, 2013
abegi
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by CharliParker: 4:32pm On Oct 22, 2013
ASUU should please call off the strike. ASUU are very greedy why are the holding we students as hostages asking FG For a ransom for there foolish interest not that they are lecturing well, after they will start treating us like slaves
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Abelsconcept(m): 4:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
Nice post anyway @op. you said no sentiments, but I smell and sense sentiment. I know it is affecting you (just like me). But do not forget the same agree was reach in 2009, only for the FG to fail in their promise despite the removal of oil subsidy. Who is fooling who? How much is ASUU asking for, compared to the looting going on everyday in FG. Agreed these lecturers are greedy but not as much as those political kleptomanias in the FG. The striking lecturers are fighting for the share of the national cake and rightly so (they have right or don't they), however, at the detriment and expense of the students (abi no bi wen to elephant dey fight no bi grass dey suffer am undecided).

Do not forget they are fighting partially for you as well. They want the FG to fund the educational system which is decaying at a rapid pace. A system consistently producing substandard and half baked students. What a pity! cry. Who do you blame the FG or ASUU?

My answer is you! Yes you (student). Am among too. When do we stand and fight for our right and rightly so? When do we say enough is enough? FG or ASUU, they are birds of the same feather. They're so corrupt! Yes corruption. A cankerworm that has eaten deep into the nations conscience. What a shame!

Do not join them in corruption. A wind will soon blow to wipe them away.

Note: I acknowledge some good ones though, but they're very few.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Miner13: 4:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
kommiejewel:
Which kind yeye struggle?; struggle dat will enrich lecturers' pockets more than it will benefit d students
struggle dat will delay d actualisation of our careers e.t.c
@op,nice thread. I wish dat brainless ASUU chaiman;gay or wateva his name is will read dis. .mmtccheeww. . .
actualizatn of career indeed.
Can u prove d certificate u want 2 actualized wen u're takin 2 field.
D result of ur wrk wil stil b failure nd disappointment 2 ur employee
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Donseraphic(m): 4:42pm On Oct 22, 2013
Law-confessor:
Doubt d law school stuff, my younger sis left for law school(Bayelsa) on sunday.
Oringo tinz on ur sister's mind.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Abelsconcept(m): 5:16pm On Oct 22, 2013
Reptyle: The longer this strike lasts, the less likely it is for ASUU to agree to anything less than the FULL IMPLEMENTATION of the 2009 agreement. It would make absolutely no sense for them to have held on for 4 months with all of the disruptive effects to our educational system, only to accept some watery and half-hearted commitment from the FG to a phased-out implementation of the agreement over the next few years.

If ASUU concedes to anything less than 80% acceptance of their demands by the FG, I will personally spend my hard earned resources in mobilizing students to lynch ASUU members the next time they attempt to embark on a strike over the poor or non-implementation of the 2009 agreement.

I think it is time we bite the bullet and get this intractable issue with our tertiary educational system sorted once and for all.

It is such a shame that the students who would most benefit from a victory for ASUU in this matter have mostly allowed themselves to be be swayed by the FG's propaganda rather than stand with ASUU. Rather than NANS becoming the mouthpiece of government propaganda, it should be seen demanding for a full implementation of aspects of the agreement especially as it has to do with the infrastructural development of our universities.
afroxyz: What is worst than churning out half-baked students? If the govt invested in education, ASUU wld not go on strike in the first place and the best brains would be retained in the educational sector, not the present crop of charlatans parading themselves as lecturers. Yes I understand the students feel the pain, but I think its selfish for them to shout for the strike to end just because they want to graduate only for ASUU to embark on another strike in the future. It also shows the decadence in the society. Why not use this period to learn a skill that would not make you a job-seeker when you graduate? If it was tompolo that threatened to blow up an oil well, govt would have met his demand immediately. I support the strike. The only language govt understands is force. For things to get better, a sacrifice must be made.w
afroxyz: What is worst than churning out half-baked students? If the govt invested in education, ASUU wld not go on strike in the first place and the best brains would be retained in the educational sector, not the present crop of charlatans parading themselves as lecturers. Yes I understand the students feel the pain, but I think its selfish for them to shout for the strike to end just because they want to graduate only for ASUU to embark on another strike in the future. It also shows the decadence in the society. Why not use this period to learn a skill that would not make you a job-seeker when you graduate? If it was tompolo that threatened to blow up an oil well, govt would have met his demand immediately. I support the strike. The only language govt understands is force. For things to get better, a sacrifice must be made.w
Abel's concept:
Nice post anyway @op. you said no sentiments, but I smell and sense sentiment. I know it is affecting you (just like me). But do not forget the same agree was reach in 2009, only for the FG to fail in their promise despite the removal of oil subsidy. Who is fooling who? How much is ASUU asking for, compared to the looting going on everyday in FG. Agreed these lecturers are greedy but not as much as those political kleptomanias in the FG. The striking lecturers are fighting for the share of the national cake and rightly so (they have right or don't they), however, at the detriment and expense of the students (abi no bi wen to elephant dey fight no bi grass dey suffer am undecided).

Do not forget they are fighting partially for you as well. They want the FG to fund the educational system which is decaying at a rapid pace. A system consistently producing substandard and half baked students. What a pity! cry. Who do you blame the FG or ASUU?

My answer is you! Yes you (student). Am among too. When do we stand and fight for our right and rightly so? When do we say enough is enough? FG or ASUU, they are birds of the same feather. They're so corrupt! Yes corruption. A cankerworm that has eaten deep into the nations conscience. What a shame!

Do not join them in corruption. A wind will soon blow to wipe them away.

Note: I acknowledge some good ones though, but they're very few.

Did you read the above quotes. Please read them. These people were not in the same place while writing or typing these replies. Yet they had a common goal which is the "the greater good".

These two guys above have said it all. Nice one. Typing almost within the same time frame and logic. I bet they noticed the mediocrities among so many of us (just saying).

I see so many selfish and self-centred students in this place only thinking about the immediate future. What a shame! You'd sacrificed the future of your unborn generation on the alter of selfish. Yet you think that you're better than this generation of leaders. I bet you will do worst than they did.

Heartless generation! cry.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Hearme(m): 5:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
GustavoFring: Privatise all public universities.

That is the only tenable solution.

How is it that none of the public universities we have are self sustaining?

Really, then the students who are making noise now will begin their own indefinite strike.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Hearme(m): 5:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
kommiejewel:
Which kind yeye struggle?; struggle dat will enrich lecturers' pockets more than it will benefit d students
struggle dat will delay d actualisation of our careers e.t.c
@op,nice thread. I wish dat brainless ASUU chaiman;gay or wateva his name is will read dis. .mmtccheeww. . .

When you graduate, where will you like to work?
ANS= Mobil, Shell, NNPC, Oando, KPMG, PWC, GTB, Zeinith,CBN, Customs etc

Why won't you want to be a lecturer even with your first class?

Ans: The working conditions are not good, especially the pay and what to work with.

what is your suggestion on how to make the working conditions good.

Ans: The truth is that if ASUU don't strike government will not change. On the other hand government should privatize universities, oh did I just say that, I forgot that my father has 5 children and 3 of us are in the University. He will not be able to afford even 500k per session for one of us.
MY CONCLUSION IS THAT ASUU SHOULD FIGHT HARD SO THAT I WONT BE A DROP OUT. EDUCATION IS A RIGHT AND NOT A PRIVILEGE.

End of the interview with the above poster.

1 Like

Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Nobody: 7:29pm On Oct 22, 2013
Bros.most of us wish to but.............[quote
author=T-val]I think with the way dis strike of a thing is goin, it is
now time for students to think of schooling in private universities and
state universities..[/quote]
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Nobody: 7:33pm On Oct 22, 2013
Did you provide per-time Job for us during this strike;the fact remains that we(the students ) are at loss........[quote
author=Reptyle]The longer this strike lasts, the less likely it is for
ASUU to agree to anything less than the FULL IMPLEMENTATION of
the 2009 agreement. It would make absolutely no sense for them to have
held on for 4 months with all of the disruptive effects to our
educational system, only to accept some watery and half-hearted
commitment from the FG to a phased-out implementation of the agreement
over the next few years.

If ASUU concedes to anything less than 80% acceptance of their demands
by the FG, I will personally spend my hard earned resources in
mobilizing students to lynch ASUU members the next time they attempt to
embark on a strike over the poor or non-implementation of the 2009
agreement.

I think it is time we bite the bullet and get this intractable issue
with our tertiary educational system sorted once and for all.

It is such a shame that the students who would most benefit from a
victory for ASUU in this matter have mostly allowed themselves to be be
swayed by the FG's propaganda rather than stand with ASUU. Rather than
NANS becoming the mouthpiece of government propaganda, it should be seen
demanding for a full implementation of aspects of the agreement
especially as it has to do with the infrastructural development of our
universities.[/quote]
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Nobody: 7:54pm On Oct 22, 2013
op looooool you must be dreaming, i have actually studied 2 sessions under one year, we study for one month and write exams till we complete 2 sessions under one year. That was when south east state universities were on strike for 6months after 3 months national strike.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Chizzysplash(m): 8:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
ASUU strike has led most students to do things they never proposed for in life. embarassedASUU strike has led most students to do things they never proposed for in life.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by fruityjojo(f): 9:41pm On Oct 22, 2013
3. LAW STUDENTS CANNOT GO TO LAW SCHOOL
TILL NEXT YEAR OCTOBER.
2012/2013 Final year Law students must be cursing down
their throats as the strike has barred them from
progressing to the Law school this year. When the dust
of this strike settles, they will have to wait till next year
October before they can go to the Law school. This is not
the only problem because Law graduate of next year
2014 might not be able to go to the Law school till 2015.
One year wasted!.
One might say two (2) sets will be merged but those in
the know-how will tell you that the Law school has a
quota for each school.
Are we seeing the imminent crises?
LIES! Wat kinda guess guess reporting is dis! In AAU Final year student Law wrote their exams nd finished last two weeks not withstanding d strike! Cos d strike didn't affect Law school. Alwys ascertain d truth b4 writing such stories!
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by youngice(m): 10:23pm On Oct 22, 2013
GustavoFring: Privatise all public universities.

That is the only tenable solution.

How is it that none of the public universities we have are self sustaining?
a lot of pple can afford 'self sustaining unis'
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by sunday478(m): 10:34pm On Oct 22, 2013
Emzybrown: op looooool you must be dreaming, i have actually studied 2 sessions under one year, we study for one month and write exams till we complete 2 sessions under one year. That was when south east state universities were on strike for 6months after 3 months national strike.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Humble12: 10:44pm On Oct 22, 2013
For nigeria universities to gain from d rightful fight of ASSU,PAIN IS INEVITABLE.LETS B PATIENCE WITH D STRIKE ACTION;FOR NOTHING GOOD COMES EASY.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Idongesit619(m): 11:13pm On Oct 22, 2013
Chiyung: Am not supporting ASSU,its we the students that will lose,if govt pay then this money how are we garrantied that they ASSU will use the money to do wat it was meant for? Govt hav given them 130bn,and said the rest will b in 2014 buget so why can't they call it off?. They compare themselves with senators that will stay in the office for only 4yrs,while they themselfs (assu) stay longer than that,tell me wat a Man of 70yrs will b able to teach apart from to give u handout and tell u to go to the internate and do research. I DONT SUPPORT ASSU!

Who told u senators stay 4yrs in office..I guest u r a learner! Ask David Mark,he will lecture u.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by opylas(m): 11:26pm On Oct 22, 2013
Oko_AGB:

Story. If they (FG) had been honest in d past, ASUU wouldn't be on strike now. There is no trusting dem anymore.

U'r a lecturer, ryt? cos u'r definitely nt an undergraduate or a parent of one!
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by proflangdon(m): 12:14am On Oct 23, 2013
Nice one.. but from what I see, the lecturers don't really lose. The students' losses are too much.. a friend of mine got a scholarship to do his Masters in England. Application does next month and he has not even graduated yet..
The students are the real losers here..
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by InwehAkpevwe(m): 2:16am On Oct 23, 2013
I wonder y ASUU r so shallow minded and unrealistic... Do u really tink dat even if 10 trillion Naria is given 2 dem den our versities wil over 9t bcom world klas standard? Every sustainable change mst com frm within & it takes time... ASUU shuld take d little dat az bin given 2 dem & work wit dat 4 d main tym... Note: Lives and destinies of millions r at stake here. #TEAM CALL THE STRIKE OFF 2DAY 2DAY# I wonder y ASUU r so shallow minded and unrealistic... Do u really tink dat even if 10 trillion Naria is given 2 dem den our versities wil over 9t bcom world klas standard? Every sustainable change mst com frm within & it takes time... ASUU shuld take d little dat az bin given 2 dem & work wit dat 4 d main tym... Note: Lives and destinies of millions r at stake here. #TEAM CALL THE STRIKE OFF 2DAY 2DAY# I wonder y ASUU r so shallow minded and unrealistic... Do u really tink dat even if 10 trillion Naria is given 2 dem den our versities wil over 9t bcom world klas standard? Every sustainable change mst com frm within & it takes time... ASUU shuld take d little dat az bin given 2 dem & work wit dat 4 d main tym... Note: Lives and destinies of millions r at stake here. #TEAM CALL THE STRIKE OFF 2DAY 2DAY#
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Sike(m): 7:04am On Oct 23, 2013
Education in Nigeria is a waste. Take it or Give it.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by texazzpete(m): 8:32am On Oct 23, 2013
The OP is a sterling example of why ASUU needs to press this strike to the bitter end.

He lists the positives as long term benefits for the nation that will benefit students for decades to come.
The negatives are the short-term demerits of keeping one generation of students at home for months.

And then he goes ahead to conclude that the strike must end because stuff like 'delayed academic calendar' and 'delayed admission list' are more important to him than a radical revamp of the education sector that will benefit future generations!

Such twisted logic!
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by Justgenesis: 10:17am On Oct 23, 2013
[quote author=m.malik][/quote]

After reading what you wrote, i became so convinced that ASUU should continue the strike. Your spellings are terrible and yet you want to run back to the educational system that couldn't teach you how to spell internet properly and graduate from there to become some sort of professional that will endanger the lives of Nigerians and the economy. Let me be honest with you students who really don't know what its like after graduation, there are no jobs because of the kind of educational system we have. All the big companies most of you have mentioned will shortlist a graduate who studied in another country over you. Our certificates are worth shit outside this country because of the lack of infrastructures, commitment and equipments in our schools. its better you sit at home while ASUU fights the govt to a stand still and use the opportunity to gain some skill from courses and trainings cos you might end up graduating so soon and end up sitting at home for 7years without a job.(**No be curse oo. i have seen it several times and its not because these people graduated with pass degrees... they have the 2-1s and 1st class). There are a lot of courses and skills you can gain while at home and to be realistic, the chances of you working with the degree you earn in our institutions is soooo low! So i advice you, instead of complaining of the strike, go and get a skill now. I know what i am saying cos I studied elect/elect engineering and made the 2-1...but what i do now is far from elect/elect engineering. In fact, it is the project management skill i learnt outside school that got me the job. Please, try to stop complaining and give ASUU the support it needs so that you and our future generations will benefit from it. If we break even in the educational sector, other sectors like aviation, oil and gas, power, telecommunication and even our justice system will be propelled to seek for a revolution in their respective sectors thereby creating jobs for you and I suit and Nigeria will become a better place.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by ceeceeco: 10:44am On Oct 23, 2013
W@ is happening to dis country. Why are we very critical of ourselves. When are we going to wake up.
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by nickvanilla(m): 12:56pm On Oct 23, 2013
Reptyle: The longer this strike lasts, the less likely it is for ASUU to agree to anything less than the FULL IMPLEMENTATION of the 2009 agreement. It would make absolutely no sense for them to have held on for 4 months with all of the disruptive effects to our educational system, only to accept some watery and half-hearted commitment from the FG to a phased-out implementation of the agreement over the next few years.

It is such a shame that the students who would most benefit from a victory for ASUU in this matter have mostly allowed themselves to be be swayed by the FG's propaganda rather than stand with ASUU. Rather than NANS becoming the mouthpiece of government propaganda, it should be seen demanding for a full implementation of aspects of the agreement
especially as it has to do with the

infrastructural development of our

universities.

we are not saying we do not want d agreement implemented.all we are saying iz dat ASUU/fg should stop putting we the students in the middle of their disputes.the strike should be called off while further decisions are reached
Re: Effect Of This ASUU Strike On Students And Lecturers by RFella(m): 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
At this point, emigration is the best thing...I rily feel for some of my colleagues approaching 30yrs...now, hw"ll they make the nysc ish? I weep for my country

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

4 Ways To Graduate With Plenty Cash In The Bank / Effect Of Regularization On Direct Entry / What Is The Correct English Word For ''longathroat''

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.