Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,173,165 members, 7,887,397 topics. Date: Friday, 12 July 2024 at 08:16 AM

Nigeria: The Way Forward Before 2015! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria: The Way Forward Before 2015! (553 Views)

Second Niger-Bridge To Be Completed Before 2015 - Minister Of Works / Nigeria: The Good, The Bad, The Beautiful, The Ugly. / There Will Be An Election Before 2015 - Bakare (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria: The Way Forward Before 2015! by tomakint: 3:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
I have always maintained that, corruption, the hydra-headed monster in Nigerian politics is not a PDP thing but Nigerian Nemesis since time immemorial and I don’t see what PDP is doing wrong now that APC will do right. In actual fact, I don’t believe in partisan politics working in Nigeria (even though the Jonathan’s administration has done a lot to convince me, yet, I remained not convinced)! It’s a system that embraces wastefulness and encourages corruption on a large scale. So, whatever PDP is guilty of, other parties are also not guiltless. Looking at our current system of government (Presidential System of Democracy), one would wondered aloud to himself or herself how on earth we keep wasting so much (trillions of naira, right from 1999 till date) on over 12,000 political appointees (from the President’s bloated cabinet down to local governments wards’ councilors) that are not really delivering the goods every year and yet we are busy test-running with different parties (as if they are the solutions) the truth is, palliative measures offered by past administrations should not be confused with panacea to our myriads of problems! This is not considering the gross corruption going on in the Civil Service Commission unnoticed.

There must be a change in the system of government first, before there can be a meaningful change in the polity, and this is why we all should SUPPORT THE SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THIS ADMINISTRATION – THE ONLY WAY FORWARD I KNOW OF! The 1999 Constitution must be thoroughly reviewed, no immunity should cover corrupt serving political appointees/public officers irrespective of their status, revenue allocation must be thoroughly reviewed, the power concentrated at the centre must be broken down and decentralized to the zones, states, local governments and wards, we must henceforth develop a benchmark for the forthcoming National Census that must be the yardstick for future ones, the excesses of President, Ministers, Governors, Legislators, Permanent Secretaries and other top government functionaries must be curbed to a reasonable state, the private sector should be empowered more to tackle the spate of unemployment in the country, if all these can be tackled once and for all, the rest is history. My Point!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria: The Way Forward Before 2015! by Tremor007: 11:03am On Sep 14, 2016
I am with the op on this one becos this Presidential system coupled with the directionless 1999 constitution may eventually bury this country on the long run.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria: The Way Forward Before 2015! by Tremor007: 12:30am On Oct 26, 2016
tomakint:
I have always maintained that, corruption, the hydra-headed monster in Nigerian politics is not a PDP thing but Nigerian Nemesis since time immemorial and I don’t see what PDP is doing wrong now that APC will do right. In actual fact, I don’t believe in partisan politics working in Nigeria (even though the Jonathan’s administration has done a lot to convince me, yet, I remained not convinced)! It’s a system that embraces wastefulness and encourages corruption on a large scale. So, whatever PDP is guilty of, other parties are also not guiltless. Looking at our current system of government (Presidential System of Democracy), one would wondered aloud to himself or herself how on earth we keep wasting so much (trillions of naira, right from 1999 till date) on over 12,000 political appointees (from the President’s bloated cabinet down to local governments wards’ councilors) that are not really delivering the goods every year and yet we are busy test-running with different parties (as if they are the solutions) the truth is, palliative measures offered by past administrations should not be confused with panacea to our myriads of problems! This is not considering the gross corruption going on in the Civil Service Commission unnoticed.

There must be a change in the system of government first, before there can be a meaningful change in the polity, and this is why we all should SUPPORT THE SOVEREIGN NATIONAL CONFERENCE OF THIS ADMINISTRATION – THE ONLY WAY FORWARD I KNOW OF! The 1999 Constitution must be thoroughly reviewed, no immunity should cover corrupt serving political appointees/public officers irrespective of their status, revenue allocation must be thoroughly reviewed, the power concentrated at the centre must be broken down and decentralized to the zones, states, local governments and wards, we must henceforth develop a benchmark for the forthcoming National Census that must be the yardstick for future ones, the excesses of President, Ministers, Governors, Legislators, Permanent Secretaries and other top government functionaries must be curbed to a reasonable state, the private sector should be empowered more to tackle the spate of unemployment in the country, if all these can be tackled once and for all, the rest is history. My Point!
As much as I share your sentiments here totally especially going by the current happenings now under this APC-led government I think there must be a serious punitive measures like death sentences (firing squad, death by hanging, long jail terms) for offenders and a total shift from this Presidential System of Government. Nice points bro

(1) (Reply)

Matt Cartwright Blasts Ted Cruz's ‘nigerian’ Joke / Anambra To Inaugurate National Association Of Unemployed Graduates Next Week / Buhari, Tinubu, Others In Jigawa, Kano, Woo Lamido, Kwankwaso To APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.