Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,716 members, 7,938,181 topics. Date: Monday, 02 September 2024 at 07:23 PM

Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? (1105 Views)

What Kind Of Man Are You Dating? Does Your Man Have Class? / Online Dating Does This Really Works? / All This Internet Dating, Does It Really Work (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Imobus: 4:02pm On Oct 19, 2013
I was having a debate with a few friends on this topic and some even went as far as calling me narrow minded because I do not agree with the whole intercultural thing. What do you guys think about it? Would you ever date someone of a different culture/background? By intercultural I mean two instances: 1 whereby you are both the same nationality but one was born and bred in the uk(different background), while the other was born and bred in Nigeria. Secondly both come from different countries for example Nigeria and Ivory Coast.
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by BigBlackDick: 4:04pm On Oct 19, 2013
is that what you want to ask?
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 4:12pm On Oct 19, 2013
It's a question of how hard one is willing to work. Relationships leverage on similarities. If what the two have in common to start with is big enough a deal to them particularly they can certainly try.

So, basically, I think it's subjective.

3 Likes

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by RoyalPearl(f): 4:25pm On Oct 19, 2013
I don't think there's anything wrong or narrowminded about people wanting to form relationships with people that have cultural values that are in line with theirs - especially if they form an important part of how they will live their lives, or why they live their lives. Many times this is just sensible.

3 Likes

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Oct 19, 2013
It's okay to go in to one. There exists, people who have gone into such and and are successful. Both partners must however be dedicated to making it work. It is of certainty that frictions may arise either from personal differences or differences built as a result of a in built cultural mindset or cultural customs and traditions.
Their attention must also be based on what unites them rather than what separates them.

3 Likes

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by damilolaluv(f): 4:47pm On Oct 19, 2013
With me personally, I don’t have a problem with mixed cultural relationships. At first hand I’ve seen mixed cultures and non-mixed cultures fail. So at the end of the day it doesn’t make a difference as long as BOTH people have the same understandings, goals, values and foundations (and of course love) to form a strong relationship.
As well as that they both have to be understanding of each others cultures and traditions. Many nationalities can be gouped as similar, and generally speaking these are the ones that work best together. If I marry someone of a different background to me, I will make sure I bring up my kids with both the nationalities in their upbringing.
Saying that, I can understand why some people stick to those of their same background. I know plenty of people who wouldn’t marry outside their “culture”… and understandably so. To put it simply: IT’S EASIER. Everything is easier. They understand you, they don’t question or try to change why you do things the way you do, and to them it comes naturally too.

1 Like

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Oct 19, 2013
I support it bt i can't do it.
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by AZeD1(m): 5:03pm On Oct 19, 2013
Yes it works and its fun.
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 5:38pm On Oct 19, 2013
It requires both partners to be understanding, open minded, and patient. As long as they have those qualities then they can try it.

2 Likes

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 6:28pm On Oct 19, 2013
AlbinoNinja: It requires both partners to be understanding, open minded, and patient. As long as they have those qualities then they can try it.
what happened to ur whatspp?
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 6:41pm On Oct 19, 2013
Imobus 爱: By intercultural I mean two instances: 1 whereby you are both the same nationality but one was born and bred in the uk(different background), while the other was born and bred in Nigeria.
Someone straight off the boat from Nigeria? We would have a ton of differences, in terms of perspectives, beliefs, etc. But I'm sure we would have things in common too.

Imobus 爱: Secondly both come from different countries for example Nigeria and Ivory Coast.
This could also work. Really depends on the people involved. Ivory Coast men are so fine, so I wouldn't mind at all, lol.

1 Like

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 19, 2013
mayten30: what happened to ur whatspp?

Its off angry
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 7:39pm On Oct 19, 2013
AlbinoNinja:

Its off angry
why is it off?
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 19, 2013
mayten30: why is it off?

Cos im in a bad mood angry
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by RoyalPearl(f): 7:55pm On Oct 19, 2013
^^ Don't derail the thread tongue
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 7:59pm On Oct 19, 2013
AlbinoNinja:

Cos im in a bad mood angry
what happened aduke?
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 8:00pm On Oct 19, 2013
^ ^ ^
Royal^^Pearl^^:
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Oct 19, 2013
Royal^^Pearl^^:

Ooops grin

Interculltural dating is a blessing or curse wink
Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by IamDejman(m): 2:50am On Oct 20, 2013
Imobus 爱: I was having a debate with a few friends on this topic and some even went as far as calling me narrow minded because I do not agree with the whole intercultural thing. What do you guys think about it? Would you ever date someone of a different culture/background? By intercultural I mean two instances: 1 whereby you are both the same nationality but one was born and bred in the uk(different background), while the other was born and bred in Nigeria. Secondly both come from different countries for example Nigeria and Ivory Coast.
It works, my gf is ghanian and myself is planning to visit ghana wif her in d nearest future!

2 Likes

Re: Intercultural Dating: Does It Actually Work? by drnoel: 9:03am On Oct 20, 2013
It works fine

(1) (Reply)

Ada Obodo Oyibo... / Why Do Girls Love Friendzoning Guys Alot / How Do I Tell Her Without Hurting Her Feelings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.