Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,198,491 members, 7,968,348 topics. Date: Monday, 07 October 2024 at 04:42 AM

Nba Season '08/09 - Sports (75) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nba Season '08/09 (72278 Views)

NBA Season 2011-2012 (First 2 Weeks Of Games Cancelled) / Who Do You Think Would Win 2010-2011 Nba Season Mvp / NBA Season 2010/11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (101) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 7:19pm On Jun 05, 2009
biina:

shocked
Is this something daddy and mummy need to be aware of? wink  cheesy grin
C'mon, Mommy and Daddy are aware. Ask Rajon, my mom calls him "my son".  wink cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 7:24pm On Jun 05, 2009
@Jesoul
Chicago no get themselves jare. They seem stuck waiting for the second coming of Jordan.
For the past 3-5 seasons they have been the 'up and coming' team who seem to never come up. All they do is make the payoffs, cause a few scares and maybe an upset, and no more.
The back office don't seem to know how to build a championship caliber team. Now they are essentially in a long term project.
DWade will not go to chicago cheap (forget about free when Riley is still in charge), and what they will need to give miami (likely include Rose and a few others), would set them back heavily in their bid to assemble that championship team.
It is always difficult to assemble a championship team by trading for a star from a team that is also looking to make a run at it. Rather go after the lottery bound teams who usually have stars who are desperate to be in contention.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 7:25pm On Jun 05, 2009
chiogo:

C'mon, Mommy and Daddy are aware. Ask Rajon, my mom calls him "my son".  wink cheesy
ok o. that settles it. grin
BTW any free tickets dey? wink
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 7:34pm On Jun 05, 2009
biina:

ok o. that settles it. grin
BTW any free tickets dey? wink
Free tickets ke? Rondo and I are going fishing. next season, I'll have tickets for you. cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 11:05pm On Jun 05, 2009
Wow Wow i didn't expect the Lakers to give the Magic such a beatdown.Kobe had supernatural powers he must be truly tired of losing NBA finals if the Lakers win on Sunday then the Magic should forget this series not everyone can do what the Heat did

As for the free agent thing i think the Mavs should dispose Howard and Dampier and go for Bosh Cuban has the money and should please not purchase another dud this time

As for Wade i think he would sign a new deal Miami is a perfect place him a few more smart trades (not Jermaine O'Neal)and they could go from question mark to exclamation point

As for the Bulls their case is more spiritual than physical their stagnancy is mind-boggling
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 11:57pm On Jun 05, 2009
If Dallas buys Bosh, what happens to MIA (Missing in Action) Dirk?
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by Moonstone(f): 9:23am On Jun 06, 2009
What da hell is wrong with Shaq? Why is the goat so immature? I just stumbled across this and after the rubbish I just saw, I have to say - I would love either Howard or Kobe ( I would love Howard to win it more but I won't be so pissed if Kobe does) to win that ring now thanks to the stupid comments made by this overgrown fool.

As Howard grows in stature, Shaq shrinks
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
3 hours, 26 minutes ago

LOS ANGELES – The greatness of Shaquille O’Neal(notes) demands that his name, his legacy, never drifts far from an NBA Finals. Even when he’s long out of the league, that’ll still be true. For the immortals, the lifetime benefits include the exhaustive examination of the next generation’s stars to your standards.

How does Tom Brady measure to Joe Montana?

Kobe Bryant(notes) to Michael Jordan?

And, yes, Dwight Howard(notes) to Shaq.

Mostly, here’s how a burgeoning talent is born: A gifted young star emulates his idol and eventually becomes his peer.

So, why does Shaq get such glee out of belittling and ridiculing those centers who came before and after him?

“Sometimes I wonder about his maturity,” Kareem Abdul-Jabbar told Yahoo! Sports on Friday. “He doesn’t need to do that. He’s achieved so much.

“I don’t know why he stoops to that.”

Abdul-Jabbar doesn’t need Shaq’s approval, but Howard is 23 years old and Shaq owes it to the league, to common decency, to be civil with this kid. His treatment of Howard has been kind of sad, especially considering that Howard grew up wanting to be him.

Howard marveled at Shaq’s strength and roared at his comedy and tried to emulate him in every way. They were drafted into the NBA as the No. 1 overall pick to the Orlando Magic, and turned losers into NBA finalists. Howard always seemed to crave Shaq’s counsel, his respect, but Howard has long been the target of humiliating insults.

In the past year alone, Shaq called Howard an “imposter” and insisted that, “Everything he’s done, I’ve invented,” and on and on. On opening night of the NBA Finals, Shaq posted a goofy photo on Twitter of what a Dwight Howard and Stan Van Gundy child would look like. After five years of this, Howard still doesn’t get the reason that Shaq revels in ripping him.

“I can’t tell you why he’s said a lot of discouraging things,” Howard said Friday at the Staples Center. “I wish he wouldn’t say it because he’s one of the few guys that we all look up to.”

For most, O’Neal’s motives are transparent. Somehow, Shaq thinks it diminishes his own legacy if Howard achieves something significant sooner than he did.

“That’s why Shaq wants [Howard] to get swept in the Finals,” a league source close with Howard and O’Neal said Friday. “He doesn’t want Dwight to win a game because he didn’t win a game in the Finals when he got there at a young age with Orlando.”

It’s funny, but Jordan never takes offense that Bryant and LeBron James(notes) and Dwyane Wade(notes) emulate him. To Michael, it was an honor. He embraces it. He always believed that was his responsibility to pass wisdom and encouragement to the next generation’s icons. Julius Erving did it for him. And Michael does it for them.

Nevertheless, Shaq has mostly been about, well, Shaq. Now, at 37 years old, Shaq still has a chance to get back to a contender, to get back into the championship chase. He was surprisingly spry for the Phoenix Suns this season, and with his expiring contract of $20 million next season, he will be an intriguing possibility on the summer trade market. Many league executives believe that Cleveland will revisit its trade deadline discussions with Phoenix, and consider making a deal for Shaq this summer. Cavs general manger Danny Ferry knows his team needs a bigger, stronger force to guard Howard, especially in the final season before LeBron James’ free agency in 2010.

Where does Shaq want to go? Multiple league sources, including with the Lakers, believe Shaq wants a return engagement with the Lakers. They think that’s why he has spent this season trying to repair the damage done to his relationship with Bryant. He tried to buddy up on All-Star weekend when they were co-MVPs, but give Bryant credit: He refused to engage with Shaq on a revisionist make-believe about how it was never so toxic between them.

There’s little chance the Lakers would make a move for Shaq, and no chance Bryant would ever accept a return to that hell. Shaq’s rap last year about Kobe ended any chance at reconciliation. Bryant is three games away from winning his first title without Shaq, and all he’ll want to do next season is win another – without him.

Lost in that the rap, was the line, “That’s like Kareem saying to himself that he’s better than me.” Well, remember this: Abdul-Jabbar averaged 22 points and eight rebounds on a Laker championship team when he was 37 years old. When I asked him how that lyric made him feel, Abdul-Jabbar said, “The gratuitous insult? I considered the source and I slept very well that night.”

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar doesn’t need Shaq’s approval, nor his validation. Yet, all Dwight Howard ever wanted was to be the next Shaquille O’Neal, and when did that become a crime for a young basketball player? Michael Jordan had always been secure enough in his legacy, his greatness, to embrace Kobe and LeBron.

So, yes, you have to wonder: Will Shaq ever be?

Source:http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AnBV100P0P2kHykyybi4eGw5nYcB?slug=aw-shaqhoward060509&prov=yhoo&type=lgns
Agbaya oshi! He should better go and retire after the rubbish he's been playing with the yeye Suns.
He wants to go back with Lakers? That will happen when Hell freezes over. I'm sure as he's coming back in, Kobe's walking out. Silly goat.
As for him taking jabs at Abdul-Jabbar, his senseless useless self could not even get suns into the playoffs and he has the right to be making noise about such rubbish? He needs serious help.
Howard, at 23, is very wise for not indulging the nonentity. It's his past glory and he can't deal with the fact that it's over. You can just see his pride and his stupidity in his statements. I blame NBA for making him feel this good about himself.

Game 1 was horrific for Magic but I hope Game 2 might be better.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by adamcn(m): 11:38am On Jun 06, 2009
i thought Nigeria people prefer football games, but now i think you also like NBA games.
But if i want to watch the live game in Nigera, i can not sleep in the midnight. this year, LAKERS will win the champion.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 2:23am On Jun 07, 2009
@Moonstone, LOL after reading that, I almost like Kobe.  undecided Shaquille O'Neal(I called him his full name) be forcing it. I remember when he did that "Tell me how my ass tastes" video about Kobe. It was funny but he was still wrong, dude is too old for that. Besides, that sounds gay, WTF? So, all of a sudden Kobe has become his 'bestest' buddy.  cheesy He's such a flip-flop; somebody please tell him it's time to retire.

How can anybody hate Dwight? It's not possible to hate all that fineness.  tongue No, seriously why would Dwight wanna be like Shaq? C'mon now. Talk about a downgrade. Forget 4 rings, Shaquille is  lipsrsealed I'm speechless.

Alright, let's go Orlando!!! Make me proud, Dwight.  wink Won't be too mad if Kobe takes it though. Depends on who needs to prove himself more to Shaquille. lol

adamcn:

i thought Nigeria people prefer football games, but now i think you also like NBA games.
But if i want to watch the live game in Nigera, i can not sleep in the midnight.  this year, LAKERS will win the champion.
Not all games, some games start at noon here. That's 5 or sometimes 6 pm in naija, I think. Well, I'm talking about regular season. These finals start late even over here. Can't be bothered sometimes after all it's not my Celtics.  cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 6:35am On Jun 07, 2009
biina - are you just jealous of the great franchise the bulls are? don't hate appreciate.

the lakers should win by at least 10 tomorrow.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by C2H5OH(f): 6:48am On Jun 07, 2009
Barring any unforseen miracles Lakers will soon have this one on lock, y'all already know.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 7:09am On Jun 07, 2009
Jealous of the bulls shocked
While I have nothing against the bulls, there is nothing to suggest that they are a great franchise. Jordan won six championships, and he just happened to have been playing for the Chicago Bulls. Until the bulls can create another dynasty, they are no better than the likes of san antonio or houston. Even the detroit pistons are more deserving.

There are only two great franchises: Boston Celtics and LA LAkers. Sadly, I am not a fan of either team.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 5:13pm On Jun 07, 2009
the celtics won most of their titles when the league was only about 10 teams with limited amount of blacks players.

don't hate. the bulls would be back with a fury next season
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 5:20pm On Jun 07, 2009
As long as the celtics were not the only ones in the league at the time, I don't see your point.
A franchise is great when they are able to win the title with different sets of players. Winning with the same core, which included the best basketball player ever, does not qualify.
After the bulls win their next championship, then you can refer to them as a great franchise. A club that has not won even a conference title without Jordan, is not a great franchise.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 6:39pm On Jun 07, 2009
@biina
Dirk is better than Bosh but that aside why do you think the Lakers are so good? Don't they play Bynum,Gasol and Odom the Magic also have Dwight,Rashad and Hedo the Nuggets had Carmelo,Martin and Nene all the Mavs have is Dirk as Howard is inconsistent and Dampier is just garbage so give those two to the Raptors and take Bosh and voila the Mavs become contenders in the West

Shaq is just an agbaya its pathetic that a player so successful is still so insecure about himself i just want Kobe to cop a couple more rings and put that blob to shame

Can the Magic steal Game 2? i doubt it
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 7:41pm On Jun 07, 2009
I wouldnt say Dirk is better than bosh, as I feel for a 7ft guy, his paint game leaves a lot to be desired. I think they are just two different type of players: Dirk spreads the floor while Chris works the paint.Trading Dampier and Howard for Bosh wouldn't be much of an upgrade IMO, as it would leave dallas light up front ( Dirk is 7ft 245lbs and Bosh is 6-10 230lbs, while most centers are north of 255lbs) and without much scoring options in the back court (Kidd is getting older with each season).

- Dampier at 33yrs has $10M and $13M for the next two seasons. Not sure most teams will find that attractive.
- Kidd at 36 has no business being the 3rd highest paid player in the NBA ($21M). He should take a major cut or they should let him go
- Howard (and possibly terry) seem to be their best trading piece, but with the second highest 2009 Salary of  $93M (behind knicks with $95M) and a salary cap of $60M, the mavericks don't have much room to maneuver.

Cuban should take that team apart and rebuild.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by bawomolo(m): 9:43pm On Jun 07, 2009
biina:

As long as the celtics were not the only ones in the league at the time, I don't see your point.
A franchise is great when they are able to win the title with different sets of players. Winning with the same core, which included the best basketball player ever, does not qualify.
After the bulls win their next championship, then you can refer to them as a great franchise. A club that has not won even a conference title without Jordan, is not a great franchise.

You jealous because we have a great player cheesy

Derrick rose would end all this rubbish talk soon.

Chris Bosh and Dirk are equivalent. not that much difference between the two.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 9:52pm On Jun 07, 2009
bawomolo:

You jealous because we have had a great player  cheesy

Derrick rose would end all this rubbish talk soon. 

Chris Bosh and Dirk are equivalent.  not that much difference between the two.
corrected your typo. grin
As to derrick rose, he should queue up behind lebron. cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 11:07pm On Jun 07, 2009
@biina
Ohh i know the Mavs are probably tied with the Spurs for the oldest team in the league by the way Dirk is way better than Bosh he is more consistent.As for whether the trade would upgrade the Mavs i say hell yeah because all kind of matchup problems would be created teams would think twice before double teaming Dirk besides they also have another 7footer in Ryan Hollins and with 2 star big men the Mavs become an instant threat in the West because teams would be worried with their length just check the Lakers and any Phil Jackson team

As for Kidd he's never beem much of a scorer i still regret that my Mavs traded Devin Harris for him but anyway there is still Jason Terry,J.J Barea and who knows Antoine Wright and Matt Carroll may step up

You do have a point on the salary thingy there are too many overpaid twats on that Mav roster that Mark Cuban sef na money miss road but i'm still confident that getting Bosh would enable the Mavs push for that championship besides the Raptors may not mind Howard and that dud Dampier complimenting Shawn Marion
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 11:19pm On Jun 07, 2009
I think the laughing stock would be the knicks, if they fail to build a credible team by the summer of 2010.
Taking the salary hit for all these years, and missing out on the top stars like lebron, would be so funny.
Orlando is 18th in salary ranking and they are playing in the finals.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by A40(m): 11:34pm On Jun 07, 2009
Lol are you kidding me they've been the laughing stock since the likes of Patrick Ewing and Latrell Sprewell left the MSG i think their front office is to blame for their ineptitude its been dud trade after dud trade from Richardson,Randolph e.t.c
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 12:10am On Jun 08, 2009
biina:

There are only two great franchises: Boston Celtics and LA LAkers. Sadly, I am not a fan of either team.
That's fair, you're not a fan of either team. So, what team are you a fan of?
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 12:33am On Jun 08, 2009
Hasn't it been obvious? cheesy
I love the 'hot' team from southeastern Florida  grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by chiogo(f): 12:39am On Jun 08, 2009
Umm, yeah but you can have more than one team you support. The celtics is my #1 but they got booted so my second team is Orlando.
Well, that makes the two of us, only that I'm scared for them a little. cheesy
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by biina: 1:00am On Jun 08, 2009
The nice thing about being the underdog is that you have nothing to lose.
If the Lakers win, orlando have nothing to be ashamed of, but if Orlando wins . . . . . . . . . . grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by femzy(m): 1:14am On Jun 08, 2009
Orlando can win but its left to the perimeter guards to stepup their game.Since they don't have a perimeter team player lyk Kobe,
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by follypimpi(m): 1:21am On Jun 08, 2009
Me Boyz r keeping there Hands Up and defending quite well,Fisher is playing pretty well as well,I see us winning tonight.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by C2H5OH(f): 1:27am On Jun 08, 2009
Low scoring game thus far. Keep up the defensive effort boys. We doing good on roatations.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by femzy(m): 1:30am On Jun 08, 2009
somethang tells me Orlando will take this one even though they aren't playing any different from game 1, way too early to sure though, lets see how it swings
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by follypimpi(m): 1:30am On Jun 08, 2009
@C2

Never knew you are a Lakers fan,got work 7am tmr morning but there's no way am going to bed and not watchin my team win.
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by femzy(m): 1:37am On Jun 08, 2009
I love Fisher's spirit , fighting lyk my Tevez grin
Re: Nba Season '08/09 by C2H5OH(f): 1:37am On Jun 08, 2009
femzy:

somethang tells me Orlando will take this one even though they aren't playing any different from game 1, way too early to sure though, lets see how it swings
Do you see Kobe conserving his energy?  If this thing remains close i would favor the Lakers to take it.  They have home court advantage and the best closer in the league.

(1) (2) (3) ... (72) (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) ... (101) (Reply)

#endsars : Arsenal's Mesut Ozil Joins Campaign / Photos Of The 3-Bedroom Apartment Chioma Ajunwa Got From Lagos Government / Nigeria Vs Senegal: AYC 2015 Final (1 - 0) On 22nd March 2015

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.