Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,171,907 members, 7,883,158 topics. Date: Monday, 08 July 2024 at 03:29 AM

Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? (2855 Views)

Former Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah In Loan Scandal, Runs To Court / Aviation Minister Chidoka Shuts BBC Up On Focus On Africa. / Aviation Minister Paddles A Canoe To Her Flooded Anambra Hometown (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Kponkwem(m): 10:41pm On Oct 21, 2013
Professor Dora Nkem Akunyili may be named new Aviation Minister according to unconfirmed sources in Abuja Monday.

If appointed, Akunyili will replace Stella Oduah, the embattled minister of aviation who has been accused of purchasing two armoured vehicles at inflated price of N255 million.

The President is being rumoured to be under pressure to sack the current minister. But the fact that the minister is believed to be one of the President's strongest supporters and mobilisers and one of the best performing cabinet members, leaves the President in dilemma.

Both Oduah and Akunyili are from Anambra State. But Akunyili, who was former Director General of the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) is believed to be a better reformer and will be able to pull through the President's transformation of the aviation sector.

Born July 14, 1954 in Makurdi, Benue State, Akunyili is a pharmacologist. Her honesty and integrity while serving as council member South East on the Muhammadu Buhari-led Petroleum Trust Fund (PTF) fetched her the sensitive job at NAFDAC. She went on to gain international recognition and won hundreds of awards for her work in pharmacology, public health and human rights.

A former reputable academic, Akunyili's foray into politics has taken a steady course and she narrowly lost the Senatorial slot for Anambra Central on the platform of the All Progressive Grand Alliance (APGA) platform in April 2011 to medical doctor Chris Ngige of the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) now All Progressive Congress (APC).

Akunyili's bond with Governor Peter Obi of Anambra State and the fact that he was the courageous cabinet minister in the Ministry of Information who blew the lid on the existence of a 'cabal' in the late President Umar Yar'Adu's government blocking President Jonathan's ascension as substantive President.

If President Jonathan finally decides to ease out Oduah as aviation minister and the government and stakeholders finally narrow down on Akunyili to fill the Anambra ministerial slot, she will be making her return to government under three different Presidents.

As a stickler for scientific details and passionate regulator, if posted to the aviation ministry, can Dora restore standards of aircrafts and enforce rules for operators- two things that are still lacking in that sector despite the marvelous aesthetic and expansion projects there?
Until we confirm this line...
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by funnyx(m): 10:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
Where is the sauce? I need some ketchup and mayonaise grin grin
If Akunyili is appointed, I reckon that will be good news ,may be we can have just one performer in Jona's govt rather than window dressers using substandard renovation to embezzle funds.

1 Like

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by sademola: 10:56pm On Oct 21, 2013
Fingers crossed!
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 10:59pm On Oct 21, 2013
Sack Oduah now!!!
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:00pm On Oct 21, 2013
Dora's not a bad replacement but the problem is it's not her area of 'Specialization'. That she excelled in Nafdac should not be a yardstick to push her to a department she knows little or nothing about.

5 Likes

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by peleson: 11:07pm On Oct 21, 2013
INNO18: Dora's not a bad replacement but the problem is it's not her area of 'Specialization'. That she excelled in Nafdac isnt a yardstick to push her to a dept she knows little or nothing about.
Who do u suggest?
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:13pm On Oct 21, 2013
INNO18: Dora's not a bad replacement but the problem is it's not her area of 'Specialization'. That she excelled in Nafdac isnt a yardstick to push her to a dept she knows little or nothing about.
Does it matter if it is not her area of specialization? She also did well as a minister of information which isn't her AOS. Why wouldn't she do well as a minister of aviation? I prefer Dora Akunyili a billion times to Stella Oduah. Jonathan did a big mistake not putting a competent and hardworking Dora as minister.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by xarxes(m): 11:15pm On Oct 21, 2013
Op who said dora is a pharmacologist?u beta get ut facts right no wonder ur story has no sorce yeye op storyteller
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:17pm On Oct 21, 2013
peleson:
Who do u suggest?
I never ruled her out completely, i think she's better of the lots but definitely not the best.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by donphilopus: 11:28pm On Oct 21, 2013
Akunyili would be a great choice..
To you who are saying Aviation sector is not her area of specialization, I'd tell you she would be better than the person who claims to be specialized on the aviation sector.

Can you campare her to Labaran as a minister of Information??

2 Likes

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:29pm On Oct 21, 2013
They want to change strategy now because the previous ones are not working.they have now gone to the extent of suggesting replacement.if you guys like,suggest names of all the many great Igbo women from time immemorial,stella is going nowhere,she remains aviation minister till 2019.
INNO18: I never ruled her out completely, i think she's better of the lots but definitely not the best.

4 Likes

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by FreeGlobe(f): 11:32pm On Oct 21, 2013
This is pathetic!! Shameless lots. Stella Oduah dey kampe till Jonathan leaves. If you like name all igbos as the new ministers of aviation, Stella is going nowhere!!! Fools!

1 Like

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
chima12: They want to change strategy now because the previous ones are not working.they have now gone to the extent of suggesting replacement.if you guys like,suggest names of all the many great Igbo women from time immemorial,stella is going nowhere,she remains aviation minister till 2019.
if that makes u happy i have no objections.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Gboliwe: 11:34pm On Oct 21, 2013
xarxes: Op who said dora is a pharmacologist?u beta get ut facts right no wonder ur story has no sorce yeye op storyteller
don't mind him. People will just sit down and pen down their fleeting imaginations and label it substance.

angry
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by FreeGlobe(f): 11:35pm On Oct 21, 2013
donphilopus: Akunyili would be a great choice..
To you who are saying Aviation sector is not her area of specialization, I'd tell you she would be better than the person who claims to be specialized on the aviation sector.

Can you campare her to Labaran as a minister of Information??
No vacancy in ministry of aviation. maybe Dora Akunyili should replace the Yoruba man sacked from ministry of foreign affairs

6 Likes

Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by donphilopus: 11:49pm On Oct 21, 2013
FreeGlobe:
No vacancy in ministry of aviation. maybe Dora Akunyili should replace the Yoruba man sacked from ministry of foreign affairs
Until this finally happens, before you'll know what we're talking about www.nairaland.com/1487429/jonathan-finally-agrees-sack-stella
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 11:55pm On Oct 21, 2013
You can allow them to play you into having a supposedly sane discussion,that's your own business.when dining with some people,you need to use a very long spoon.
INNO18: if that makes u happy i have no objections.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by FreeGlobe(f): 12:00am On Oct 22, 2013
donphilopus: Until this finally happens, before you'll know what we're talking about www.nairaland.com/1487429/jonathan-finally-agrees-sack-stella
Goodluck with wait bro,
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by donphilopus: 12:06am On Oct 22, 2013
FreeGlobe:
Goodluck with wait bro,
Have you confirmed the #Hot Air??
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by MeAboki(m): 1:16am On Oct 22, 2013
Kponkwem:

The President is being rumoured to be under pressure to sack the current minister. But the fact that the minister is believed to be one of the President's strongest supporters and mobilisers and one of the best performing cabinet members, leaves the President in dilemma.

Wow! if she is one his best performing bed ministers then I wonder what to call his cabinet - definitely not kitchen but more like PIDGEON CABINET. SMH cry
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by cKaiser: 1:26am On Oct 22, 2013
Dora go make sense given her antecedents in govt
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by s3nn2x(m): 1:57am On Oct 22, 2013
That would not be a bad idea. But, has Dora returned to PDP? I know she decamped to APGA to contest for the Senatorial election in Anambra state, and I think party loyalty would be a determinant Factor before any appointments would be made. Who even says that Ms Oduah would be sacked? The worse that can be done to her is redeployment to a different ministry.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by abacus(m): 2:01am On Oct 22, 2013
Bye Bye Stella!!
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 2:13am On Oct 22, 2013
But she voluntarily resigned from Jonathan's government in 2010. Hope she wont repeat it this time around. If given the job, I see her bringing back the reformative days of NAFDAC into aviation ministry.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Segadem(m): 2:32am On Oct 22, 2013
peleson:
Who do u suggest?
Me of-course
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by jumobi1(m): 2:38am On Oct 22, 2013
The way govt appoints people, you would think the population of Nigeria is less than 1mill. What's up with the recycling? How about a past Director or Perm Sec from the ministry?
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by GeneralJ(m): 3:08am On Oct 22, 2013
I personally don't think Dora is fit for this job, maybe something else like power or something but not Aviation, i mean thats not her field of study, there are a million and one people out there that would probably be better than Stella at this kind of positioon
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by freesoul3(f): 4:23am On Oct 22, 2013
Prof Corruption: Sack Oduah now!!!

oya go sack am na!
omo ale.
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 7:33am On Oct 22, 2013
FreeGlobe: This is pathetic!! Shameless lots. Stella Oduah dey kampe till Jonathan leaves. If you like name all igbos as the new ministers of aviation, Stella is going nowhere!!! Fools!

What is wrong with you?
Is she paying your school fees or sponsoring your husband?
A minister spending so much money on cars the president himself is not driving, you say she should stay. Infact, you are evil. Aje!
Re: Is Dora Akunyili New Aviation Minister? by Nobody: 7:37am On Oct 22, 2013
To be a minister does not mean you should be in the field. Its managerial prowess that matters. Is she going there to repair planes? Some managers of engineering companies are not engineers but still do well their posts. So, if she can manage the aviation sector well, let her be the next the aviation minister! Shikena!

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buhari Arrested And Stopped Alex Ekueme From Becoming President After Shagari! / Why We Have To Allow The Naira To Be Devalued Pt 1 / Photos: Overloaded Vehicles From Around The World Insane

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.