Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,182,068 members, 7,916,117 topics. Date: Friday, 09 August 2024 at 03:49 PM

Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? (18283 Views)

Graduates - What Is Your NUMBER 1 Pain With Regards To Your Job Search? / Over 100 Unemployed Youths Atthe National Assembly In Search Of Employment / What Unemployed Graduates Pass Through In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 4:02am On Oct 22, 2013
Unemployed Graduates with DISABILITY: what is the way forward?

In our society, no organisation wants to employ people with disability, what is the way forward?
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by adewasco2k(m): 4:17am On Oct 22, 2013
^ it depends of the nature of the disability, disability doent actually meant you cant offer anything, if i have an IT company and a disable guy/girl with programming skills seek employment sure i will not hesitate to give him/her a try disregarding the disability but as i said it all depends, i can not take such for positions like Front-desk officer and its like.

So there is hope just go acquire skill like every other enable bodied guy/girl and keep searching.

all the best

14 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 4:19am On Oct 22, 2013
You can try Timeless vision foundation. They help people with disabilities.

Email: Info@timelessvision.org

Nigerian number:08068881260

Texas number:9726973272

Name of founder of the organization is Ayo Awe.

He has a disability too(one eye).

13 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Gboliwe: 6:10am On Oct 22, 2013
Toluwani2: Unemployed Graduates with DISABILITY: what is the way forward?

In our society, no organisation wants to employ people with disability, what is the way forward?
its a terrible experience my dear sister. Do not even seek govt or private org's sympathy, you will end up mad!

Keep hope alive, stay strong. Stay close to God. Remain positive. Its a long and tiring journey but it will be fine.

8 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by onlyme07(m): 11:11am On Oct 22, 2013
It's kinda hard to get a job even for an able person,you just have to keep on trying and your disability should be of great advantage..

If you have a good result,studied a relevant course and you reside in a State where physically challenged are of little or high priority,very soon you would get a good one.

Keep hope alive dearie !

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by 4reigningqueen: 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
Simple. It is GCSC

That is GOD, CREATIVITY, and SELF-CONFIDENCE.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by geesilver(m): 1:47pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mmmm

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by MrAboki: 1:49pm On Oct 23, 2013
OYO!!!! grin

Disabled People (both Graduates and otherwise), Mentally Challenged People and Leprous people are not factored into any Plan in Nigeria..

Infact, I once heard my company boast about having 2 disabled persons in their Staff (as if it was significant) in a workforce of over 5000 contract staff and over 2000 Permanent Staff.. grin

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by colombiana: 1:50pm On Oct 23, 2013
The simple and painfull truth is self employment, everybody loves an educated, hardworking anddedicated disabled person. Well for pidgin GO LEARN HAND WORK

2 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by oladoya(m): 1:51pm On Oct 23, 2013
the same thought that is always in my mind. Those that are complete(i mean able people) they are still outter there doing nothing. Make God just help us. Ki olorun ma gba eya ara wa( may God pls no make us disabled) and pls give comfort to the disables amen.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by oladoya(m): 1:52pm On Oct 23, 2013
the same thought that is always in my mind. Those that are complete(i mean able people) they are still outter there doing nothing. Make God just help us. Ki olorun ma gba eya ara wa( may God pls no make us victim of disability) and pls give comfort to the disables amen.
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 1:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
How can u find solution when the able one are still stranded in all over d country.

Any way first to comment!!!
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Lilimax(f): 1:59pm On Oct 23, 2013
They are not disabled rather they are physically challenged undecided
There are lots of abilities in what you called 'disblilities'

They should take their destiny into their hands and not allow anyone to convince
you that their disability is disabling!
Don’t allow society to ban them from a certain profession simply because disabled individuals have traditionally avoided that
field!
Better still, they should learn/ acquire skills that are easy for them undecided

10 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by dridowu: 2:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
Touching thread, what else can i say than look up to God

2 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Nobody: 2:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
I once worked for a Charity here in London called Scope that actually employed a lot of disabled folks.

One of the lads on my team called AJ, was severely disabled with Cerebral Palsy, to the point where he could only communicate by email, using a special tablet attached to his wheelchair that was able to track his eyeball movements and convert them to typed sentences.

I was working on the Server Support team

I was really touched by what this Charity does and I hold them very dear to my heart.

We need more organizations to offer chances to the disabled. Disability does not mean Inability.

18 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by nerodenero: 2:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
Lilimax: They are not disabled rather they are physically challenged undecided
Even the physically unchallenged roam the streets. I tire for the situation walahi!

4 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by IamSylva(m): 2:05pm On Oct 23, 2013
Toluwani2: Unemployed Graduates with DISABILITY: what is the way forward?

LEARN A TRADE THAT BEFFITS UR DISABILITY cheesy

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by IamSylva(m): 2:09pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Aboki: OYO!!!! grin

Disabled People (both Graduates and otherwise), Mentally Challenged People and Leprous people are not factored into any Plan in Nigeria..

Infact, I once heard my company boast about having 2 disabled persons in their Staff (as if it was significant) in a workforce of over 5000 contract staff and over 2000 Permanent Staff.. grin
dafuq is this clownundecided
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by IamSylva(m): 2:13pm On Oct 23, 2013
Michael_park: How can u find solution when the able one are still stranded in all over d country.

Any way first to comment!!!
dream on!! tongue

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Oluwacolded: 2:31pm On Oct 23, 2013
Being disable doesn't mean discapable,just improve your skills and leave the rest to God

If you could have a special skills that is rear i bet you ur disableness would be an advantage for you.

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by MrAboki: 2:33pm On Oct 23, 2013
I think people are missing the keypoints here;

1. How many disabled (or to be Politically correct 'Physically Challenged' persons) have you seen working in a Bank?!

2. How many companies like Shell, Total, Mobil, Schlumberger, Conoil, Conoco Phillips, OandO, e.t.c employ PC peoples?!

3. In the Civil Service, how many are there?!

The truth is that the Nigerian Work environment is friendly to disabled peoples at all... E.g: Have you ever wondered how a person on a Wheelchair enters into our Nigerian Banks?!

9 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by OkikiOluwa1(m): 3:08pm On Oct 23, 2013
Summary
A disabled person with educational qualifications & skills is better that the disabled fellow without skills or education.

3 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by oroagba: 3:41pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Aboki: I think people are missing the keypoints here;

1. How many disabled (or to be Politically correct 'Physically Challenged' persons) have you seen working in a Bank?!

2. How many companies like Shell, Total, Mobil, Schlumberger, Conoil, Conoco Phillips, OandO, e.t.c employ PC peoples?!

The truth is that the Nigerian Work environment is friendly to disabled peoples at all... E.g: Have you ever wondered how a person on a Wheelchair enters into our Nigerian Banks?!

You're quite correct. The work and even school/academic environments especially in Nigeria are not friendly towards the physically challenged. Even if a company or organization is willing to employ, coping with the physical barriers (stairs, gutters. slippery floors, narrow doors etc) may make it difficult for the person to perform well. I used to have a running battle with security men and doors in Intercontinental Bank to the extent that I had to allow my accounts there to go dormant and move transactions to friendlier banks.

It takes a lot of determination, fearlessness and stubbornness for a physically challenged person in Nigeria to have a semblance of "normal" life. Giving up is not an option except you want life to pass you by, keep trying.

10 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by ogalanya(m): 3:54pm On Oct 23, 2013
The greatest scam pulled on this earth is for some people to label some others disabled. My dear, disability is just a state of mind as everyone suffers from one form of disability or the other. If u want to live a succesful life, u must emancipate yourself from mental slavery. Nobody can define you without your permission. You only need God and your skill to make it, unless you are going to the olympics.

5 Likes

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by drdams: 4:11pm On Oct 23, 2013
Touching! D only thing I can say is keep trying...
Bt Entrepreneurship might jst be ur best bet..
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by trent9002(m): 5:03pm On Oct 23, 2013
Sorry but there is no forward here. Self employment is your best option. Nigeria for you
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 5:36pm On Oct 23, 2013
trent9002: Sorry but there is no forward here. Self employment is your best option. Nigeria for you
Good idea but after acquiring diff skills one need capital to start something. am not speaking for my self now i know alot of disable pple out there that are helpless. because is not every kind of trade we can do.
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 5:37pm On Oct 23, 2013
trent9002: Sorry but there is no forward here. Self employment is your best option. Nigeria for you
that means there's no need of going to school
Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 5:40pm On Oct 23, 2013
oroagba:

You're quite correct. The work and even school/academic environments especially in Nigeria are not friendly towards the physically challenged. Even if a company or organization is willing to employ, coping with the physical barriers (stairs, gutters. slippery floors, narrow doors etc) may make it difficult for the person to perform well. I used to have a running battle with security men and doors in Intercontinental Bank to the extent that I had to allow my accounts there to go dormant and move transactions to friendlier banks.

It takes a lot of determination, fearlessness and stubbornness for a physically challenged person in Nigeria to have a semblance of "normal" life. Giving up is not an option except you want life to pass you by, keep trying.
you are right o

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 5:43pm On Oct 23, 2013
Mr Aboki: I think people are missing the keypoints here;

very correct, Nig work environs is not friendly to person with disability

1 Like

Re: Unemployed Disabled Graduates: What Is The Way Forward? by Toluwani2(f): 6:27pm On Oct 23, 2013
Gboliwe: its a terrible experience my dear sister. Do not even seek govt or private org's sympathy, you will end up mad! Keep hope alive, stay strong. Stay close to God. Remain positive. Its a long and tiring journey but it will be fine.
Amen o

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Vacancies At University Of Benin Teaching Hospital (UBTH) / Application Into The Nigerian Armed Forces 2009 / Ikeja Electricity Distribution Company (IKEDC) Job Opening

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.