Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,201,077 members, 7,977,114 topics. Date: Wednesday, 16 October 2024 at 08:01 PM

Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. (1189 Views)

I Will Fund Any Project Like Whatsapp Or 2go / I Need A Mobile Tech Blog To Buy Below 50k / Calling On All Web Designers/developers: Redesign Of Nigeria.gov.ng (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by winexviv: 9:48am On Oct 22, 2013
More designers/developers should stand up to low rates and not accept them. The more you accept low rates, the more that you will continue to receive low rates so why not help the industry out and raise the standards rather than be part of the problem? Thinking outside the box is also good.

The time = money model isn’t very scalable, so thinking more entrepreneurial in regards to solving problems and offering a product could be more rewarding in the long run. The annoying part is that the low paying clients are the wahala we have in this business. If we continue charging low when will we produce a billionaire in Nigeria that only build websites? Let's meditate on this and i will be putting up posts that will release 5k/10k-49k designers/developers from their bondage.

3 Likes

Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by sanny18(m): 10:20am On Oct 22, 2013
does that charge 10k for job are copy and paste designer. my boss charges 60k upward and I am also following is foot step.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by winexviv: 11:07am On Oct 22, 2013
To us, design/develop a website is a simple task and it can feel terrible to charge a higher markup. However, to a dentist, his job is relatively easy yet he’s still making a healthy profit. That’s why we have so many different professions. If your client was to design his website, he’d have to pay more and wait longer in the long run.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by DualCore1: 12:19pm On Oct 22, 2013
You cannot put a control price on a service rendered with time (its not petrol). No raw materials involved, just time. There is no fixed cost on time. An hour's worth of my time is different from an hour's worth of any other person's time.

Webdesign will likely never have a 'pump price', live with it.

Except you're working for an established firm which has successful products it is supporting or you own a firm like that, don't consider your webdesign/development skills as your only source of income.

1 Like

Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by winexviv: 12:30pm On Oct 22, 2013
Dual Core: You cannot put a control price on a service rendered with time (its not petrol). No raw materials involved, just time. There is no fixed cost on time. An hour's worth of my time is different from an hour's worth of any other person's time.

Webdesign will likely never have a 'pump price', live with it.

Except you're working for an established firm which has successful products it is supporting or you own a firm like that, don't consider your webdesign/development skills as your only source of income.
If people can do prostitution as a full time job and own houses in V.I, why not the high-demanding web design/development. In every field some earn low while some earn high offering the same service. The difference is mental orientation, packaging and luck. If you say web design don't have a pump price, why do people charge a min of 5k for a job in Nigeria. They could have been 1k design job. If we can change this poor mentality and encourage people to improve on their skills continuously, with time most people will make web design their full job and earn very huge.

1 Like

Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by nollyj: 12:50pm On Oct 22, 2013
^^^
There is no where in the world that a fixed minimum price for web design exist so Nigeria is no exception. I agree with Dual Core - A student who is try to get a web project during ASUU strike to see if he / she can raise a little money will never care about a fixed price. Moreover, many beginners without portfolio who can't compete with established web design companies in Nigeria on a fixed price can charge any amount to first build up a portfolio

1 Like

Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by darrysobby(m): 6:20pm On Oct 22, 2013
@winexviv

There are literally "millions" of "website designers" in Nigeria because any one who undergoes a crash course in HTML calls his/herself a website designer, but of course with varied degree of skill and depth. The availability of very affordable templates (both HTML and CMS) also added to the reality that just about anybody can build a website within a short time. You can't compare it with dentistry which you need a formal education and license to practice.

If you do outstanding website design and development work, then you will demarcate yourself from the other "website designers" and you can confidently select your clients and set your prices without the feeling that you are ripping anyone off. In fact, the clients will come looking for you.

I am not supporting those who charge so little and you will usually see the value in the shoddy jobs they do, but you can't blame any man for legitimately trying to be competitive for survival and sustenance.

So like Dual Core said, you have to live with this reality and trust God to open doors of big-paying-clients for you. I wish you the best.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by ojehtoju: 9:11pm On Oct 22, 2013
I'm looking for a very good webdesigner in benin city(edo state). Pls if there is any in here contact me on 08082579938 or on twitter @tixxers...if u know any, u can as well let me know. Thanks
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by Djtm(m): 11:31pm On Oct 22, 2013
While web developing cannot have a floor price. It will sensible to say the monetary worth of the time and effort required to develop a good website from scratch is not less than 50k. If you're just beginning, you can charge less than that to build your portfolio. But if you have like 3-4 websites under your belt, and you charge less than 50k, then it would be safe to assume (assumptions are not always correct nevertheless) that your 'products' are not satisfying enough. Another factor that might make pple charge less is the demand and supply factor. Very soon, the story will move from bad to worse.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by DualCore1: 1:21am On Oct 23, 2013
Some still don't get it. This field/profession is one powered by man hours (time). You are neither in a position to tell nor enforce what a web developer does with his time or what that time is worth. If you're not powering a serious service/solution/product just take this field as a hobby and look to some price-controlled profession to make ends meet.

Let's not waste time on what will most likely never happen in the foreseeable future.

It is this freedom of what to do with one's time that has given birth to opensource and freeware. Leave money alone and let passion be your driving force, it will take you where the thought of money alone can't. Love what you do.

2 Likes

Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by Djtm(m): 1:44am On Oct 23, 2013
Dual Core: Some still don't get it. This field/profession is one powered by man hours (time). You are neither in a position to tell nor enforce what a web developer does with his time or what that time is worth. If you're not powering a serious service/solution/product just take this field as a hobby and look to some price-controlled profession to make ends meet.

Let's not waste time on what will most likely never happen in the foreseeable future.

It is this freedom of what to do with one's time that has given birth to opensource and freeware. Leave money alone and let passion be your driving force, it will take you where the thought of money alone can't. Love what you do.
I think I get it.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by uwa234: 12:02pm On Oct 23, 2013
Web design is a commodity and there can be any price. Those that charge low prices will eventually put themselves out of business soon as their clients will one day tell them that their 5 year old daughter can design a website for them. The truth is, some individuals and companies make millions out of this business while others make themselves poor with their method of service. Its all in the way the individual structures the business. The time will surely come when people will no longer patronize all these 10k websites.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by Slyr0x: 12:04pm On Oct 23, 2013
Dual Core: Leave money alone and let passion be your driving force, it will take you where the thought of money alone can't. Love what you do.

Words on Marble
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by yemibabe4(f): 11:28pm On Dec 12, 2013
Hi, I need a professional Web Application developer Trainer who can train on PHP, Mysql,.This is a part time Training job.Salary is very attractive. call 08028115086 if you are qualify and interested.
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by MeAndYou(m): 11:26am On Dec 13, 2013
i concur
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by kingthreat(m): 5:39pm On Dec 13, 2013
I once charged a client N35k for web development when I was hungry and desperate. He rejected the invoice and told me to come up with something better smiley
Re: Web Designers/developers Stop Charging Below 50k For Any Project. by luvscholar(m): 5:57pm On Dec 13, 2013
yemibabe4: Hi, I need a professional Web Application developer Trainer who can train on PHP, Mysql,.This is a part time Training job.Salary is very attractive. call 08028115086 if you are qualify and interested.
email me your location luvscholar@gmail.com

(1) (Reply)

Start Your Own Domain And Web Hosting Company For FREE» Information Thread / IT And ICT In Nigeria: An Untapped Goldmine / Help! Perfectmoney Wordpress Plugin Not Working. What Is The Alternative Please?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.