Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,174,154 members, 7,890,899 topics. Date: Monday, 15 July 2024 at 11:35 PM

Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival - Islam for Muslims (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival (8951 Views)

Eid-El-Malud: Celebrants Block Road In Gombe State (Photos) / Eid-ul-fitr; A Unique Festival Time Of Joy For Muslims / Eid Ul Adha: Barka Da Sallah : Eid Mubarak (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival by Empiree: 2:28am On Oct 26, 2013
dyfatai: i be ijebu boy no doubt, and ive attended my fair share of ojude obas. Now d@ im learning more about islam, i think it is unjust 2 associate dis celebration 2 Islam, dey can go ahead nd exhibit dia culture, but dey shld detach it completely 4rm Islam. It is purely an Innovation. May Allah assist us. Peace

vedaxcool only copied pasted this article. Hes not the author. Ojude Oba is never an Islamic festival. According to article I read probably Wikipedia, says that they (community leaders) fixed Ojude Oba on the 3rd day of ileya because they believe that lots of people come home for Eld. Ojude Oba is basically indigenous festival of all indigenes in the town regardless of religions.
But its unfortunate that Islam, despite recognizing cultural practices, it forbids Muslims from participating in all types of festivals or cultural practices that go against it. I am happy that many Muslims are now waking up. I am not against Ojude Oba by the way. Unfortunately it has been incorporated with Islam. A practicing Muslim knows it has no root therein. Ojude Oba is cool though.

(Modify) (Quote) (Report)

1 Like

Re: Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival by PAGAN9JA(m): 7:00am On Oct 26, 2013
festival of slavery to foreign God.
Re: Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival by dyfatai(m): 7:06am On Oct 26, 2013
Empiree:

Ojude Oba is never an Islamic festival.
(Modify) (Quote) (Report)
Jazak Allah khair brother. Even though its obvious, some might nt c it and still say Islam support d@ kinda thing, d@s y i emphasized. Dawaa is compulsory on us. Allahu Allam

1 Like

Re: Ojude Oba, Nigeria's Post-eid Heritage Festival by Mustay(m): 12:59pm On Oct 26, 2013
deols: I was just learning more about this..

I actually thought ojude oba was something I could attend until.a discussion at the moderators section where I heard plenty drinking and dancing to all kinds of songs is done.

I like the cultural display though and I like the history behind it. That it brings families together is something worthwhile too.

Looks like one with great tourism potential
You were rightly advised. I used to look forward to it as a kid but with time, I saw some things smiley

In the past, the horse riders and group parades stole the show but gradually, the event had more sponsors especially with Adenuga's company (Glo) becoming a major sponsor, Maltina etc and so have different events introduced for the youths, concerts etc

Truly, if you don't belong to an "egbe" or your family ain't close to the Awujale, you may not really enjoy the festival as much as others would. With the alcohol, parties, mixing etc that goes on, little can you say it's got anything 'Islamic' - the festival is another case study of where culture meets religion sad

One thing it does is to bring gbogbo awon omo alare (Ijebus worldwide) together - in fact, some people don't even bother going to the palace, they set up tents in their family compounds for members and freinds to come together. For this, you can deduce Islamic practice of not severing the ties of kinship + promoting communal relations, it's the way it's done that's another issue!

A lot of Ijebus are Muslims but the coincidence only comes in play because it's celebrated on the third day of Illeya. This last Eid, I 'loled' cheesy when FG only gave two days 'cos, public holiday or not, Ijebus will always celebrate Ojude Oba on the 3rd day cool

If there's a major thing to learn from Ijebus, it's the promotion of unity within and amongst families.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Explain Hajj To Your Kids (info-graph) / What Will Happen On The Day Of Resurrection? / Is It Permissible To Close Your Eyes During Solat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.