Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,169,875 members, 7,876,323 topics. Date: Sunday, 30 June 2024 at 02:51 PM

Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta (5897 Views)

Photo Of Another Multi-billion Naira Complex In Abuja Seized By EFCC Authorities / Dangote To Construct Refinery And Petrochemical Complex In Ogun And Ondo / Oyo, Wemabod Begin Construction Of 4,000-shop Complex In Ibadan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by lincolnj88: 10:13am On Oct 25, 2013
Busy nigerians,,,,,gej at work, haterz at work,

2 Likes

Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by timwezzb(m): 10:29am On Oct 25, 2013
And Here we are with ASUU issues....Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm 9ga 4 lyf!
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by Nobody: 11:27am On Oct 25, 2013
And am lyk wat else can i say??
#FreshAir
#FreshSea
#SmoothSailin
#TeamGoFindMoney
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by JaaizTech: 11:38am On Oct 25, 2013
I dey laugh o!. I may be wrong o!, but this appears like a white elephant project whose purpose is to be used mainly as a siphoning pipe to embezzle money.

My question are as follows:

Is it a company that is building the ship manufacturing facility or the Nigerian Government?

Does the Nigerian Government have the technical know how to build ships and have they been building ships before?

How much is the projected return-on-investment for this kind of project?

Wouldn't it be wiser to invest such money into building a new refinery that can produce petroleum products whose demand is currently insatiable.

I just weep for my people...
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by Tonylyte(m): 11:57am On Oct 25, 2013
#TeamFreshWind
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by AZeD1(m): 12:06pm On Oct 25, 2013
JaaizTech: I dey laugh o!. I may be wrong o!, but this appears like a white elephant project whose purpose is to be used mainly as a siphoning pipe to embezzle money.

My question are as follows:

Is it a company that is building the ship manufacturing facility or the Nigerian Government?

Does the Nigerian Government have the technical know how to build ships and have they been building ships before?

How much is the projected return-on-investment for this kind of project?

Wouldn't it be wiser to invest such money into building a new refinery that can produce petroleum products whose demand is currently insatiable.

I just weep for my people...
Guy you read my mind. All i want to know is who will be building the ships!!!
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by DaLover(m): 12:43pm On Oct 25, 2013
Fortunately the minister of transport who announced this news is not from SS or SE, so even though this news is going to upset some set of people...their efforts to dig up dirt about him might not be too successful.

Any news about infrastructure development in SS and SE readily invites the media controlled by this same section of the country to start looking and nosing for dirt on that politician, clearly politicians from the SE and SS are being judged by a different set standards...

Imagin Stella trying to challenge the dominance of MMiA airport, maybe she all would have been silent if she didn't have the effrontery to do such
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by adezjamz(m): 12:48pm On Oct 25, 2013
tomakint: If by 2015 Nigeria remains as ONE and if by 2019 still ONE, then I can declare boldly before ALL that one day in the FUTURE, Nigerians will be grateful to have Goodluck Ebele Jonathan as PRESIDENT!
U sef D̶̲̥̅̊ε̲̣̣̣̥γ̲̣̣̥ observe

1 Like

Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by igbeke: 12:54pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rossikk: I doubt any youth in the delta can ever complain of unemployment after the deployment of this facility in the region.

wetin? na so jealousy dey start. make dem carry am go kano or bauchi? or even maiduguri? una get water wey ship wan pass?
just joking.
but on a serious serious note:
Uncle Jonathan remains d best leader dis entity called Nigeria has ever had.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by igbeke: 1:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Ismahill: Na so we go hear am.dm no go complete am.pls wats d duratn of d contract
i can see u r already salivating for an opportunity dere. common, y dont u just do away wit hate and admit dis is a hit for oga Gej. dont worry, we wont discriminate anyone wen our glory arrives.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by erico2k2(m): 1:14pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rossikk: I doubt any youth in the delta can ever complain of unemployment after the deployment of this facility in the region.

I share ur view however hope the youths get engaged in the whole process.Not like what happenf in the oil sector jst so we knw we av jst one port nt 5
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by nellycobs: 4:09pm On Oct 25, 2013
Without a functional steel rolling mill in Nigeria, it will all amount to a joke as usual. First thing first.--Electricity, steel rolling mill(Aladja, et al) then industrialization can take it's first step.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by happitech: 4:39pm On Oct 25, 2013
Rossikk: [size=16pt]Nigeria Approves $369m For Ship-Building Facility[/size]

October 24, 2013 Ehidiamhen Okpamen. Nigeria is focusing on right pact now. If Nigeria maritime is fully utilize, more than half the population will get job. But my prayer be say make dem nor shop d money

VENTURES AFRICA – Nigeria has approved a N58.6 billion ($369 million) fund for the construction of a ship building facility in the Niger Delta region of the country.

The country’s Minister of Transport, Idris Umar, told reporters that an initial N40.2 billion ($253.2 million) will be provided for the delivery of maritime equipment, with a further N18.4 billion ($115.9 million) for civil and structural engineering works.

According to him, the project will be situated in Delta State – a move that strategically targets Nigeria’s oil industry.

He highlighted the manufacturing deficit present in the shipping industry, which, according to him, costs millions of dollars in overseas vessel acquisition.

“We have a very serious dearth in the ship building capacity in the country and it is, therefore, imperative that we develop the facility in order to curtail the incessant capital flight that is being experienced by the Nigerian economy.

“Annually, we have to be acquiring vessels and ships outside the country which is telling on the economy,” the minister explained.

Once completed, the facility will help reduce the amount spent on procuring ships from foreign manufacturers.

According to the minister, the project has the propensity to drive sustainable development and capacity building in Nigeria’s maritime sector. “It will also help Nigeria to take its rightful place among the developed maritime nations across the world,’’ the minister added.

The project is in line with the West African nation’s drive towards local production of ships and other maritime facilities.

Presently, Nigeria operates 6 ports – Lagos Port Complex and Tincan Island Port Complex, as well as that of Rivers, Delta, Calabar and Onne.

http://www.ventures-africa.com/2013/10/nigeria-approves-369m-ship-building-facility/
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by JaaizTech: 5:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
igbeke:
i can see u r already salivating for an opportunity dere. common, y dont u just do away wit hate and admit dis is a hit for oga Gej. dont worry, we wont discriminate anyone wen our glory arrives.

This is not a anti-tribe thing; it is an issue of common sense. It is obvious that such an investment in the heavy industry is foolish. And I am sure Mr. president is not foolish, so what i believe is that this is just a siphoning pipe to loot money.

And the reasons why this is not a feasible project are not far-fetched:

i) Do we possess the technology or man-power to build ships
ii) How many ships are being bought in Nigeria to warrant investing in such ventures
iii) The demand for cars in Nigeria are insatiable, so if we are so clever, why not start building cars first Why ships
iv)In fact mention anything we build in Nigeria, for us to think we can start building ships
v) I just remembered this one, the telecoms mast we see scattered all around are cities are all imported... if there is any better place to start that may be the place, at least mast are just a mass of steel.

Bros., unless one wants to deceive himself this one na scam.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by Nobody: 5:07pm On Oct 25, 2013
@Jaiztech: the FG has been encouraging Innoson to build more automobiles; and has invited some international car manufacturers to set up manufacturing plants in Nigeria.
I think the steel rolling mills will soon come to life, therefore, expect to see some folks venture into the manufacture of masts.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by DeLaRue: 5:08pm On Oct 25, 2013
Only problem with this is the 'government' element.

The project faces an uphill task to be gotten off the ground and be completed.

It then faces a humongous challenge to be operational and compete without subsidy.

And profits? How is it going to make profit to finance future growth? Failed steel rolling mills? PHCN? Refineries?

Any Government has no business in business. But Nigerian government should be perpetually banned from engaging in this type of mega business.

They should work with private investors.
Re: Jonathan To Build $370 Million Ship-Building Complex In Niger Delta by Rossikk(m): 9:03pm On Oct 25, 2013
JaaizTech:

This is not a anti-tribe thing; it is an issue of common sense. It is obvious that such an investment in the heavy industry is foolish. And I am sure Mr. president is not foolish, so what i believe is that this is just a siphoning pipe to loot money.

And the reasons why this is not a feasible project are not far-fetched:

i) Do we possess the technology or man-power to build ships
ii) How many ships are being bought in Nigeria to warrant investing in such ventures
iii) The demand for cars in Nigeria are insatiable, so if we are so clever, why not start building cars first Why ships
iv)In fact mention anything we build in Nigeria, for us to think we can start building ships
v) I just remembered this one, the telecoms mast we see scattered all around are cities are all imported... if there is any better place to start that may be the place, at least mast are just a mass of steel.

Bros., unless one wants to deceive himself this one na scam.

If Nigerians can build satellites that are at this very minute patrolling OUTER SPACE, what makes you think we cannot build ships?

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Folorunsho Alakija's Source Of Wealth Busted By CNN Reporter, Christian Purefoy / BREAKING!! Biafra : Mock Referendum Happening Now In Enugu (photos) / Nigerian House Of Rep Tries To Hastily Pass A Bill For Mandatory Vacination

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.