Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,170,788 members, 7,879,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 03 July 2024 at 06:16 PM

When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. (91193 Views)

Radiator Fan Constantly Running (even When Engine Is Off) / Toyota Camry 2007 V6 SE Flaring On 3rd Gear When Engine Is Not Warm / My Car Vibrates When Engine Is Idling (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by cardoctor(m): 8:20am On Nov 04, 2013
Ikenna351:

A failed/failing ignition coil would give a misfiring error code. Op did not state his car was misfiring or rough idling, which is what a failed or bad spark plug would do. Op did not sound like a novice to me not to know what misfiring and rough idling means for not to have mentioned it in the beginning.

Misled who? Can you tell you that I all I have suggested so far has nothing to do with fuel finding itself in the oil pan?

Guess work? Who is doing the guess work here? Myself? I can see that you don't know me that much or you are beginning to do. Sorry, we are different. I do elimination method/ manual troubleshooting and am good at it. I list out possible components/sensors which if failed would give a particular symptom and gradually start eliminating each one after the other until I get to the culprit. In the process, I would discover better method of troubleshooting, components about to fail that have not started giving warning and understand the car better. I do not see anything wrong in teaching someone how to fix an issue with his vehicle which he asked for.

If discussing DIY is a problem for you, then you just have to deal with it. Am not in your workshop, neither am I your apprentice. So keep your authority to yourself. If you are not comfortable with my suggestions, then be convincing to Op with yours and not attack mine. Am not competing with anyone. Op is old enough to choose whatever suggestion he finds useful or better here.

Ikenna.

Na wah o. We dey fight? grin

"Misled and Guess work" that I quoted was never intended for you. The point is that there are so many suggestions from other members here that don't bear much significance to the case at hand such as the diagnostic scan suggestions. How does that relate to "Petrol smell in engine oil dip stick"?

Its not every car issue that would be effectively diagnosed by suggestions on this forum. Some, like in this instance, would require the physical examination of the car itself. The car talk section is superb for polling views from like minded auto technicians, car enthusiasts as well as novices but it would be better if we don't bombard too many suggestions and speculations to the OPs. It kinda throws them off line and may get confusing at times. The DIY guy or woman may have a problem sifting through all the suggestions and may eventually lead to an un-economical repair.

Car-Doctor.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Cruisez: 9:46am On Nov 04, 2013
I took out the injectors for check last weekend. Though the outcome was satisfactory, i bought four new ones because of cracks around the edges. I also cleaned the throttle body (thanks to youtube). The pictures i took are too large, will edit and upload them later. Thank you all for the contribution. No fuel odor so far and the drag is almost gone. Time to search for a garage to resolve the p1349 error code.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Trac: 11:26pm On Nov 14, 2013
Cruise-z:
I took out the injectors for check last weekend. Though the outcome was satisfactory, i bought four new ones because of cracks around the edges. I also cleaned the throttle body (thanks to youtube). The pictures i took are too large, will edit and upload them later. Thank you all for the contribution. No fuel odor so far and the drag is almost gone. Time to search for a garage to resolve the p1349 error code.

It is good. It's also great giving feedbacks. You will have better stoichiometric result than the partial oxidation you were encountering.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Nobody: 11:38pm On Nov 14, 2013
Trac:

It is good. It's also great giving feedbacks. You will have better stoichiometric result than the partial oxidation you were encountering.

@Trac good to see you....but what the heck do you mean by the bolded blued word?
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Nobody: 11:39pm On Nov 14, 2013
Elektra, please... Let it go. It's not fair on other forumites, if you decide to trash threads, just because you've had issues with Ikenna.

We've all had bans at some time or the other, but we don't all resort to verbally abusing the Moderator. Yes, Ikenna has his faults, (don't we all?) but I will say he's more tolerant than some of the Moderators in other sections.

Just take it easy, wait out your ban, and simply come back as yourself. Life's way too short.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Trac: 12:12am On Nov 15, 2013
smartchoice:
@Trac good to see you....but what the heck do you mean by the bolded blued word?

Hei: what's up?!

Stoichometric means the ratio of fuel and oxidant (oxygen in this case) and leaving no residue. In other words, no fuel or oxygen leftovers but just product (which is work or energy or power). This is during combustion.

Partial-Oxidation is a reaction that is not stoichiometric because it is deficient in oxygen. So, the constituent of fuel will produce smaller activation-energy.

Some cars are maxed at stoichiometry and nothing more can be done humanly possible beyond. Some aren't; they aren't bad systems, the objectives are just met. Tuners will exploit that variable as one means to attain their objectives. A noteable exploit is the ram-filters you see or cold-air injection certain hotrodders use. It is to maximise shoichiometry. Sometimes, fuel would have to be readjusted (depending on how wild the exploit would be).

Below are cold-airfilters. Not recommended though. I don't consider this gain except otherwise proven. Plus, all MB's come with cold airfilters as factory. You get no gain from these on MB applications.

Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by andre82(m): 10:49am On Nov 15, 2013
Siena: Elektra, please... Let it go. It's not fair on other forumites, if you decide to trash threads, just because you've had issues with Ikenna.

We've all had bans at some time or the other, but we don't all resort to verbally abusing the Moderator. Yes, Ikenna has his faults, (don't we all?) but I will say he's more tolerant than some of the Moderators in other sections.

Just take it easy, wait out your ban, and simply come back as yourself. Life's way too short.
Sir, did you get my mail about a golf 4? Waiting patiently for your response (akinwande_olumide@yahoo.com)
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by raycollins: 7:11pm On Nov 28, 2013
Pls cruz t what was d outcome of ur issue. Pls tell d house cos my mums car have d same issue now. Same engine and car. Where r u boss. Thanks
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Cruisez: 3:14am On Nov 29, 2013
I carried out the following:
Changed all four nozzles (due to cracks around the edges).
Cleaned the throttle body.
Serviced the car (use recommended engine oil).

So far, no petrol odor when I pull out the dip stick.
I will recommend a scan first before you attempt any repair.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by raycollins: 6:06am On Nov 29, 2013
@ t cruz thanks. Scanned and have d same code P1349. Were u able to resolve the code.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by Cruisez: 3:15pm On Nov 29, 2013
Am on vacation presently. Will sort it out when I return.
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol. by kara5: 1:17pm On Jan 25, 2017
Re: When Engine Oil Dip Stick Smells Of Petrol:

I have a 2004 Pontiac Grand Am SE1. I just changed the oil a few days ago. After taking off the bolt from the oil pan, I was watching it run out and it was very thin and I thought that was weird until i saw was floating in the top of the oil and it was a yellow color. I also noticed after I drained the used oil back in the container that the jug was only half full. OMG the oil in my car was 2 qts low! then I put the jug up to my nose and smelled gas. Then when I went to take out the dipstick to check my oil i smell gas on the end of my dipstick. I have a lot of white smoke coming out of the exhaust out of the back end. mileage is 173000. I bought the car 3 years ago used and it was a lemon i had to do a lot of work to, to get it to run right. Car misfired and I had to replace all of the spark plugs and wires. changed the oil and the tranny fluid & filter (which was black). changed the air filter (it was black too). changed one of the 02 sensors, replaced the back window regulator and the motor, had to seal all around the front windshield with permatex because it was leaking into the car when it rained, had to replace the gear shift knob, had to replace the thermostat and the fans only turn on when the a/c is on. LOL. I think I should have sued the dealership for more money or they should have just gave me the car for free. LOL. Also last summer it got so hot there were several times when all of the coolant would disappear out of the reservoir and I would have to refill it after it overheated. oh i forgot, i just noticed the tranny pan is leaking by a couple of the bolts. are we having fun yet??I put a scanner on it and I am not getting any codes. I bought it when it had 152000 on it. Also will it pass an emissions text with gas in the oil?

what do you suggest? I fix my own car.

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Adolf Hitler’s Car Is One Of History’s Most Significant Cars (PHOTOS) / What Does Tpms Mean In Honda Accord? / Gold Customized Mercedes Benz In Kaduna - Photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.