Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,611 members, 7,951,543 topics. Date: Tuesday, 17 September 2024 at 05:58 PM

Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? (4471 Views)

How Do Tv Shows Make Money? / DSTV Censor Words Like Jesus, God: Why? / How Much Do TV Writers Earn Per Episode? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by ifenadi(m): 3:23pm On Oct 27, 2013
I do watch movies a lot, both foreign and local films especially on DSTV and I have noticed that they are very good at censoring some strong words used in a movie. I understand their reason vividly, but what I don't understand is when they censor some biblical words like God, Jesus and so on even when they are used in a good context.

Can someone let me know?
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Ramcie(f): 3:44pm On Oct 27, 2013
Have noticed that too. even Africa magic does that alot. I really don't understand their motive also. if you censor words like Prostitute and Bastard why censor the the word God sometimes I feel it's an error.
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Briareos(m): 3:49pm On Oct 27, 2013
They are trying to remain religiously neutral. You will be surprised, but a lot of people perceived mentioning "Jesus" and "God" as "forcing religion (Christianity) down their throats.

And I'm sure most Christian will find it irritating while watching their favorite shows if all they keep hearing are "Allah" and "Muhammad".

3 Likes

Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Nobody: 4:48pm On Oct 27, 2013
I think they censor them when they are used as exclamations. You know it's wrong to be exclaiming 'Jesus', 'God' etc just anyhow. Just as some exclamations like 'Fvck' and other curse words are wrong and should be censored! That's my opinion
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Briareos(m): 5:09pm On Oct 27, 2013
speedyboi: I think they censor them when they are used as exclamations. You know it's wrong to be exclaiming 'Jesus', 'God' etc just anyhow. Just as some exclamations like 'Fvck' and other curse words are wrong and should be censored! That's my opinion

You've gotta be kidding me.
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Nobody: 6:43pm On Oct 27, 2013
Briareos:

You've gotta be kidding me.

what? grin grin
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by hotmolo(m): 8:15pm On Oct 27, 2013
I hope dis makes frontpage grin
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Caracta(f): 1:14am On Oct 28, 2013
Do they?
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by alphascorpio(m): 3:46pm On Oct 28, 2013
Briareos: They are trying to remain religiously neutral. You will be surprised, but a lot of people perceived mentioning "Jesus" and "God" as "forcing religion (Christianity) down their throats.

And I'm sure most Christian will find it irritating while watching their favorite shows if all they keep hearing are "Allah" and "Muhammad".
GBAM! Well said.
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by Emmyk(m): 4:44pm On Oct 28, 2013
I'm yet to notice.
Re: Why Do Tv Stations Censor The Word, 'god'? by ifenadi(m): 12:50pm On Oct 29, 2013
Briareos: They are trying to remain religiously neutral. You will be surprised, but a lot of people perceived mentioning "Jesus" and "God" as "forcing religion (Christianity) down their throats.

well said

(1) (Reply)

Their Eyes Were Watching God? / Good, Bad, And Ugly Nigerian Adverts / How To Download '76 Movie By Izu Ojukwu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.