Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,189,333 members, 7,937,021 topics. Date: Sunday, 01 September 2024 at 10:48 AM

Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! - Culture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! (9943 Views)

Music Video Of Fulani Nigerian/cameroonian Marriage Ceremonies / Igbo Kwenu! Kwezuo Nu! Join Us If You're Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady / Igbo Kwenu ! Kwenu Kwezo Nu ! Join Us If You Proud To Be An Igbo Guy/lady (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 7:20pm On Jul 09, 2008
Anyone to try the thought-experiment?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by sistajay(f): 7:24pm On Jul 09, 2008
@ huxley

Im proud to be all WOMAN, sure wouldn't want it any other way.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by manmustwac(m): 7:31pm On Jul 09, 2008
@huxley
do u wish u were a woman?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by LASIEFAIRE(m): 7:34pm On Jul 09, 2008
The whole Idea of " black and proud" emanates from black is beautiful, a cultural movement aimed at reiterating that the black person was equally as beautiful as the white in an era when racism and prejudice was evident and prevalent. With the world aiming for a raceless society, the whole "black and proud" notion serves as an hindrance to this goal because the underlining factor is the belief that the black race is superior to other races in certain aspects. Notable black philantropist, activist and other noteworthy characters support(ed) the propaganda of equality of all race not a aimless proclamation of the beauty of the black race.  Furthermore, in my own opinion  - I stand to be corrected, this is a sign of inferiority and lack of dignity. Rarely if ever will you find a white, asian person proclaiming " white and proud," or " Asian and loving it." Most people use this as a ploy to cover up certain failure in their lives. " Black and Proud," is nothing but self gratification and glorification with little or no meaningful gain.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Esss(m): 7:53pm On Jul 09, 2008
huxley:

Why would someone be proud of being something about which they had no choice? No-one had a choice about their skin-colour, nationality, tribe, gender or sexual orientation. None of these are attributes are earned by the endeavours of the individual. So why should one be proud of these attributes that are not the result of one's own endeavours?

Cos thats what the lottery called life has dealt you. If you are not proud of yourself, you have nothing for which to live for, you are left with the worst kind of inferiority complex and you have no self worth whatsoever. You are a basically slave.

huxley:

What personal successes are you proud to have achieved?

Love, Education and I'm rich Bitch.  wink

huxley:

Are you proud to a man instead of a woman?

Hells yeah!!

I dont have to leak from my privates every now and again, get knocked up and have to carry an extra burden inside me for 9 months or even more and have to go through the injustice of living in "a mans world".

My opinion.  tongue

So Mr. Hurxley get this straight, A Man with no Identity does not exist, and if you are not prourd of your Identity, you have already enslaved yourself. You HEARD!!  angry
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 8:00pm On Jul 09, 2008
LASIEFAIRE:

The whole Idea of " black and proud" emanates from black is beautiful, a cultural movement aimed at reiterating that the black person was equally as beautiful as the white in an era when racism and prejudice was evident and prevalent. With the world aiming for a raceless society, the whole "black and proud" notion serves as an hinderance to this goal because the underlining factor is the belief that the black race is superior to other races in certain aspects. Notable black philantropist, activist and other noteworthy characters support(ed) the propaganda of equality of all race not a aimless proclamation of the beauty of the black race. Furthermore, in my own opinion - I stand to be corrected, this is a sign of inferiority and lack of dignity. Rarely of never do you find a white, asia person proclaiming " white and proud," or " Asian and loving it." Most people use this as a ploy to cover up certain failure in their lives. " Black and Proud," is nothing but self gratification and glorification with little or any meaningful gain.

Great response. Am glad you are getting the thrust of my post.

Consider the following:

1) Should George W Bush, the President of the USA, make a comment to the effect of "I am white and proud of it"? How do you think that statement would go down in US?

2) Should Barack Obama make a comment to the effect "I am black and proud of it"? How would that be taken in the US political field?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by redsun(m): 8:03pm On Jul 09, 2008
I think pride is consciousness,all that there is about you.What keeps you alive?

You should be like the sun,everything revolves around you,what ever that is reality to you is what you want,like the beginning and the end,everything comes in-between.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by redsun(m): 8:09pm On Jul 09, 2008
Life is a dream and you but no one else is the dreamer,can't you see the magic?You got to perform.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by OrumbaS89(f): 8:25pm On Jul 09, 2008
I am too proud to be black, Igbo, and female.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by Nobody: 9:01pm On Jul 09, 2008
I am black, I didn't choose to be one. I'd rather my character defines me. It is what I have made of myself as a human (not some black man) that I am proud.
I do not truely know what it is to be white, asian, a woman, an Igbo or a Russian. So, I am not proud(or happy) to be one and not the other?
If given the choice, I can say I will not know what race to choose. Most people can agree that a persons' race is not as important as his/her character.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by morpheus24: 10:15pm On Jul 09, 2008
]I AM PROUD TO BE ALIVE AND STILL KICKING.

HOWS THAT FOR BEING PROUD
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 12:33pm On Jul 10, 2008
Interesting how those who claim to be proud this, proud that, have not dared to take the thought-experiment! I wonder, do they feel some sense of cognitive disonance when it really comes to examining their beliefs?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by shuppie(f): 7:13pm On Jul 10, 2008
for all that it is worth,
no matter how sad, no matter how painful
we should remember the GOOD, we should remember the BAD
for Africa to have survived the SLAVERY and COLONIAL ERAS,
it doesn't testify to our weakness, it testifies to our STRENGHT.

and for that , i am happy to be an AFRICAN, to be a NIGERIAN.

Africans are known to be strong and resillient people, we are survivors, we have survived many terrible ordeals, and we will continue to survive.
we will survive anything except DEATH.

in the face of extreme hardship,
in the face of extreme stress, pressure
in the face of extreme want and lack,
we are still standing
we dont break easily
and for that, i am happy to be an AFRICAN, a NIGERIAN

i am happy to be a woman and not the other way round, becos as a woman, i get to experience MOTHERHOOD, the most beautiful and the most fullfilling experience any woman can go through,

i am PROUD to be a MOTHER.
i am proud of who i am
i am beautiful not becos i am dark skinned, but my beauty is from within which radiates out
i am proud to be an upright human being
i am proud to be an honest and diligent individual

i am proud to be a trustworthy and a well meaning NIGERIAN
i am proud to be an AFRICAN, becos Africans are survivors,

i am proud of myself becos i am making things to happen for me
i am proud of myself becos i am not depending on any govt b4 i can succeed in this life
i am proud of myself becos when opportunities to succeed presents itself, i grab it with both hands
i am proud of myself becos i am not a weakling who gives in at the slightest disappointment and obstacle

i am proud of myself becos i possess the spirit of a survivor jsut like my forefathers and my ancestors
i am proud to be an honourable woman, a woman of her words,

i am proud becos i am struggling to become a better person of myself.
i am proud of myself becos i am honest and truthful in my dealings with my fellow human beings,
i am proud to be a caring and a forgiving soul

i am proud to be from the same continental Africa with the likes of
Nelson mandela, Prof wole soyinka, Fela anikulapo kuti, Kudirat Abiola, Thomas sankara, Gen murtala mohammed, King mansa kankan mussa, King chaka of zulu, past kings and queens of egypt, the list is long

i am not proud of the likes of mugabe, IBB, Abacha, kibaki, the govt of sudan that allows the supporter of APC militia to commit genocide in darfur. it is people like these that gives africa and africans a bad name and a bad image,

i am proud to believe in Africa, that one day we will get there,

PEACE,
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by manmustwac(m): 7:15pm On Jul 10, 2008
@huxley
huxley:

Interesting how those who claim to be proud this, proud that, have not dared to take the thought-experiment! I wonder, do they feel some sense of cognitive disonance when it really comes to examining their beliefs?

so your not proud to be nigerian and your not proud of your tribe but your proud of your achievements that is being a good friend, husband, employee etc

So imagine this scenario Nigeria are playing England in the World Cup Finals and e don reach knockout stage of the competition who win the match go make am to the semi finals. Who will you want to win Nigeria, England or since u didn't chose either nationality will u be neutral?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by drrionelli(m): 7:37pm On Jul 10, 2008
This is, indeed, a thought-provoking topic! 

I'll add some opinions when I have the time to put them down.  In the meantime, I would like to address something:

Senator Barack Obama is not Black.  He is bi-racial.  For him to make a declaration of pride (or neutrality, or shame) of either his blackness or his whiteness would be ignoring (and thus dismissing) half of the person he is.  This, to me, would be more compromising to how he is perceived in the American political realm.

More to come!
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by redsun(m): 8:19pm On Jul 10, 2008
Relative perceptions,human feelings are unparalleled,it can't be marched or surpassed,it is what makes us,differences,so the idea of quantifying what makes one proud is incomprehensible because what makes one proud may not make the other.

In as much as we live in a hypnotic world,where people believe in what they don't understand,i believe because he believes,i think it is wise for one to be him or her self at all time.The greatest bondage in life is mental slavery ,it is a zombie state,loss of mental consciousness.

Pride,greed lust,anger,selfishness,envy are all part of man's original immortal sins,roots of all evil.

What is relevant?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by LASIEFAIRE(m): 8:34pm On Jul 10, 2008
manmustwac:

@huxley
so your not proud to be nigerian and your not proud of your tribe but your proud of your achievements that is being a good friend, husband, employee etc

So imagine this scenario Nigeria are playing England in the World Cup Finals and e don reach knockout stage of the competition who win the match go make am to the semi finals. Who will you want to win Nigeria, England or since u didn't chose either nationality will u be neutral?

I think that would be more in the realm of Patriotism and loyalty.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by hadiza30(f): 9:56am On Aug 08, 2008
I LUUUV being black n most especially being me kiss
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by masawa: 3:49am On Aug 10, 2008
@shuppie
There 's nothing to be proud of being dominated or being a slave ,I'm sorry, If being "strong "physically MEANS PRIDE TO YOU .i DISAGREE strongly,if being deshumanized without an act of resistance is a source of pride for you then good for you, RESISTANCE should be a source of pride ,most people (exept africans)(would die rather than being humiliated ,
@huxley you associated barack obama is black, WHY blacks and especially nigerians are so proud to claim BI RACIALS (one parent black one parent white people)inferiority complex ?or once again blacks arte follwing their massa
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by MandingoII(m): 7:34pm On Aug 10, 2008
Nigerians really hate themselves huh

This thread is obvious.

If you don't love you - How could anyone possibly, want to love you.

In essence you are unlovable.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by abdurrazaq(m): 6:47pm On Sep 10, 2008
@huxley, I agree with you. You don't have to be proud of WHAT has been with you since the beginning of your life and WHAT will be with you for the rest of your life like the colour of your skin (except Michael Jackson grin undecided).

Proudly Nigerian, proudly African, etc are by-products of INFERIORITY COMPLEX lipsrsealed embarassed

You can be proud of being A soldier when the rest of your friends are Lawyers. You can't be proud to be a Nigerian, African, European, American, Man, Woman, Tall, Short, etc BECAUSE YOU DON'T HAVE CONTROL OVER ALL THESE FEATURES OF YOURS.

Most proudly Nigerian and African are dumping their Nationality/Culture at any opportunity. Proudly Nigerian indeed shocked
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by sistawoman: 7:46pm On Sep 10, 2008
I want to mark this thread. I am at work and can not give an indepth answer but the questions, statements are diff. food for thought. I will be back later with a response.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by blackspade(m): 4:31am On Sep 11, 2008
I'm proud to be African! The thread starter must have some sort of self hate that he can't deal with on his on, so he tries to bring the rest of us down. Hopefully this fanatic of a person will find some type of happiness in their life, probably through a series of skin bleaching sessions.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 8:45am On Sep 11, 2008
blackspade:

I'm proud to be African! The thread starter must have some sort of self hate that he can't deal with on his on, so he tries to bring the rest of us down. Hopefully this fanatic of a person will find some type of happiness in their life, probably through a series of skin bleaching sessions.

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. I have many things I am proud about, but I am NOT proud to be African. It is a neutral concept, so why elevate it into this pseudo-politico-socio-cultural heights?

Why don't you try taking my thought experiment given above?

Should a French man be proud of being French? Should an English man be proud of being English? etc.

Should Obama say he is prouds of being Black? Should McCain say he is proud of being White?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by MrCrackles(m): 9:06am On Sep 11, 2008
sistawoman:

I want to mark this thread. I am at work and can not give an indepth answer but the questions, statements are diff. food for thought. I will be back later with a response.

good to see you posting on non-romantic threads for once Sista-woman! grin
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by blackspade(m): 4:24pm On Sep 11, 2008
huxley:

Wrong, Wrong, Wrong. I have many things I am proud about, but I am NOT proud to be African. It is a neutral concept, so why elevate it into this pseudo-politico-socio-cultural heights?

Why don't you try taking my thought experiment given above?

Should a French man be proud of being French? Should an English man be proud of being English? etc.

Should Obama say he is prouds of being Black? Should McCain say he is proud of being White?
Well, enjoy not taking pride in your own ethnicity, and not being proud of all the accomplishments. Like I said before, I'm a proud African, and I could care less about some fanatic trying to convince me something else. Are you going to find an Indian forum and tell all Indians not to be proud of their ethnicity? Would you say the same about Mexicans, Pakistanis, Somalis, Kenyans, Chinese, etc. . . . Do you see a pattern?

Minorities in a western country don't just assimilate immediately with the White race, who have been there longer than most, except the majority of African Americans in America. White people have had much success in their countries, their pride should have to go unsaid, and is well understood in America, so John McCain saying something like "White Pride" would immediately be taken as more racist, as Obama saying he's proud to be Black.

Please, you have some internal issues that I cannot understand, but hopefully you'll get over it, because you seem like the sell-out type. Don't sell your people out, because you can try to hide your pride, but one day when you're in need, and that other group will leave you out to dry, who will you look for?
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by romeo(m): 5:58pm On Sep 11, 2008
I've heard people say " I am proud to be an American", Nothing is wrong with that right? Michelle Obama got into trouble for saying she was never proud of America until this year.

It's all in the mind! be proud of what you want to be proud of and let others be proud of their own things. Pride is diverse, some people are proud of their houses, cars, wives, kids, friends, jobs, achievements etc.

Some people are even proud of other people that are not related to them in any direct way e.g sports stars, musicians, religious leaders, writers especially when they share common nationality or ethnicity.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 8:28pm On Sep 11, 2008
blackspade:

Well, enjoy not taking pride in your own ethnicity, and not being proud of all the accomplishments. Like I said before, I'm a proud African, and I could care less about some fanatic trying to convince me something else. Are you going to find an Indian forum and tell all Indians not to be proud of their ethnicity? Would you say the same about Mexicans, Pakistanis, Somalis, Kenyans, Chinese, etc. . . . Do you see a pattern?

Minorities in a western country don't just assimilate immediately with the White race, who have been there longer than most, except the majority of African Americans in America. White people have had much success in their countries, their pride should have to go unsaid, and is well understood in America, so John McCain saying something like "White Pride" would immediately be taken as more racist, as Obama saying he's proud to be Black.

Please, you have some internal issues that I cannot understand, but hopefully you'll get over it, because you seem like the sell-out type. Don't sell your people out, because you can try to hide your pride, but one day when you're in need, and that other group will leave you out to dry, who will you look for?

I said I have many things I am proud about and these are my own personal achievements, of which I have many. They give me endless joys and sense of pride. But I am not proud about things I had no choice over.

If everyone, every nation and every ethnicity were equally proud, then at best it is a neutral concept. Unless you are to say that some nations/tribes/people ought to be more proud than others. In which case you will have to define what such nations ought to be proud about.

Unfortunately, like most people you have bought into this bogus idea of pride in unchosen things and fail to see the false logic in it if taken to its ultimate conclusion. Yes, if I had the means and energy I would like disabuse people of this bogus concept.

It is instructive to note that you have singularly failed to take the thought experiment I gave above. Why don't you give it a try?

White people have had much success in their countries, their pride should have to go unsaid, and is well understood in America, so John McCain saying something like "White Pride" would immediately be taken as more racist, as Obama saying he's proud to be Black.

Following your logic, White people ought to be proud of their success, correct. Is success not considered an aspect of achievement. Where are the successes the Africans ought to be proud about? Or are we only to be proud about our biological attributes, about which we have not choice. Or is pride for successes and acheivements only reserved for the Whites, while non-whites ought to be proud about their biology and ethnicity? By that token, a donkey ought to be proud for being a donkey.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by blackspade(m): 3:34am On Sep 12, 2008
I would never take part in your so called "experiment". I pity the people you have to come into contact on a daily basis, you seem like you're hard to deal with.
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by TPS360: 6:28am On Sep 12, 2008
everybody has a photographic memory , some just do not have the film
Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by anurika25(f): 8:04pm On Nov 09, 2008
I agree with the poster.You don't get to chose where you are born,with what colour etc,so why be proud of it?i am proud of my self,meaning what i have achieved,proud of my family,the way they raised us.Sometimes i am proud of what people from different achieve.Of course,its something natural to be proud of who you are and of your origin,but everyhting has its limit

1 Like

Re: Are You Proud To Be Black, African, Nigerian, Cameroonian, Igbo? Well, Not Me! by huxley(m): 12:49am On Feb 04, 2009
What are you most proud of?

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Why Do Middle Belt Pple Feel They Are More Of Northerners Than Southerners / . / Post Swear words from your language here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.